Thread: Thrill Kill of Daniel Sorensen

hoxharding Guest

Thrill Kill of Daniel Sorensen

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced today first degree murder charges in connection with the murder and decapitation of 26-year-old Daniel Sorensen. Charged are Jean Pierre Orlewicz, 17, of Plymouth and Alexander Letkemann, 18, of Westland.
    Worthy described the only motive as a "thrill kill."

"I've seen every kind of crime, and still, the idea that there are people that would kill just for the thrill of it is bone chilling," she said.

Worthy said the two defendants invited Sorensen to jean pierre Orlewicz's grandfather's home in Canton on Wednesday with the purpose of killing him.

During a video arraignment, Canton Police Detective Ken Robinson testified that Orlewicz slit Sorensen's neck with a kitchen knife and repeatedly stabbed him in the back when Sorensen enterede the garage.

"Orlewicz then retrieved a hack saw and proceeded to cut Sorensen's head off with the saw," Robinson said.

Worthy said the killing scene inside the garage had been prepared with tarps covering the floor and cleaning supplies.

She said the suspects wrapped Sorensen's torso and took it to an area near Seven Mile and Ridge Road in Northville, where they allegedly used a blow torch to burn his hands and feet before setting the body on fire.

Sorensen's head was thrown into the Rouge River near Hines Park at the border of Detroit and Dearborn and located over the weekend. His Chevy S-10 pickup truck was found Friday night.

Tips and a statement from at least one of the suspects led to the arrest. She would not elaborate. She said the investigation was continuing.

The pair were arraigned via video at 34th District Court in Romulus, where Magistrate Donald Vandersloot ordered them held without bond. After the arraignment, Letkemann's father Peter briefly addressed the media.

"Anyone who knows my family knows that this would be totally out of character for Alex. I love him and we're behind him 100 percent," he said.

Orlewicz's family did not attend the arraignment at the advice of his attorney, Joseph Niskar.

Eeesh. Sounds like the dad's in a little bit of denial. It might be "totally out of character" for the kid, but you don't just wake up one day and think it would be fun to kill somebody, or decide it would be a great idea to along with your friend's great idea to kill somebody! obviously, his son has a screw or two loose in the first place. At the same time, I can see loving your son despite the horrible deed, and being horrified by it. i hope that's what he's pointing to, and not just trying to put the blame entirely on the other kid.

What a truly awful deed, though.

As soon as those beheading videos started showing up on the internet I was worried it might inspire the abundance of fuck wits in this country to do some copy cat action. I wonder if this might be a case of that.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Chevyheaven Guest

Self defense will be presented as motive in teen suspect's beheading trial

This is nuts. Some of the crap kids do today, they just dont use their heads.

hmm that came out wrong but what kinda of thrill can you get out of killing someone and dismembering them? I read a story about this and it seems that the kids are saying that it was self defense that
    the murder victim was a bully and I guess was trying to get their lunch money all the time I dunno.

An attorney for one of the teen suspects in the beheading case described by prosecutors as a thrill kill informed a judge today that he plans to argue self defense at trial.

Jean Pierre Orlewicz, 18, of Plymouth, is scheduled to stand trial April 7 in Wayne County Circuit Court. He is accused of stabbing, beheading and burning Daniel Sorensen, 26, of River Rouge, on Nov. 7.
    Orlewicz??s attorney James Thomas has portrayed Sorensen in court documents as a violent bully who preyed on young people. He recently filed four personal protection orders taken out against Sorensen by people not connected to the trial with the court in hopes of getting them admitted into the trial.
    On Monday, Judge Annette J. Berry asked Thomas to declare his trial defense strategy as lawyers argued whether the PPOs would be admissible.

??Self defense,? Thomas said.

Berry said she would decide at a later date whether to allow the PPOs to be evidence.
    The hearing then took an intriguing turn when prosecutors played jailhouse conversations between the second suspect, Alex Letkemann, 18, of Westland, and his father, Peter Letkemann.

During the Jan. 18 conversation, Peter Letkemann, told his son that he planned to release a written statement several days before jury selection in the trial.

??It??s gonna be amazing,? the elder Letkemann said.

??All right,? his son said from the Wayne County Jail.

Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Robert Moran said he was so incensed by the tape that he had to be talked out of charging Peter Letkemann with obstruction of justice for what he believed to be a plan to taint potential jurors.

Called before Judge Berry, Peter Letkemann said he has not written out a statement and has merely been trying to keep his son??s spirits up.

??I??m not a devious person,? he said.

Berry cautioned him that using the media to get statements out to potential jurors could backfire.

??It??s a very emotional case,? she said. ??My heart goes out to everyone involved.?

Both teens are charged with first-degree murder.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy has said the teens killed Sorensen for a thrill.

Letkemann wrote an eight-page statement to police and gave a videotaped statement, which was played during a daylong preliminary examination in November.

Letkemann told investigators that Orlewicz, known to friends as J.P., lured Sorensen to Orlewicz's grandfather's garage in Canton Township before stabbing him from behind.

??J.P. shut the door behind and just went and did it,? Letkemann told police. ??I couldn't even react. It knocked the wind out of me.?

Letkemann said Orlewicz stripped Sorensen down to his underwear and cut his head off with a saw. He said he assisted in loading the body only to clear a $100 debt to Orlewicz.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...31040/0/NEWS01

bluebear71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    As soon as those beheading videos started showing up on the internet I was worried it might inspire the abundance of fuck wits in this country to do some copy cat action. I wonder if this might be a case of that.
    It sounds more reminiscent of "Dexter" to me, but you may be right in any case.
    Last edited by bluebear71; 04-07-2008 at 10:04 AM.

hoxharding Guest
    'Self-Defense' - yes that is why one of the garages had a tarp on the floor ahead of time. Uh huh righhht.

Lita Guest
    Oh, it was totally self-defense! Didn't you hear what the dad said? Daniel Sorensen was a "violent bully" that "preyed on the young". So it makes sense that if he was such a notorious bully that you'd invite him over. And it makes total sense to slit his throat, stab him in the back, cut his head off, and then burn his body. Isn't that typical of a self-defense case? This reminds me of the Bobby Kent case.

If I were not SOOO much opposed to starting controversy; I'd say:

Death penalty...anyone?

Those two certainly opted to carry it out; minus the judge and jury.

I know that many here oppose it under most any circumstance; and I respect that; difference of opinion; nothing more.

I will only add that if people like this; and people like Timothy McVeigh; do not deserve it; then certainly no one does; and it should not be a legal consequence to a heinous crime.

*stepping down from soap box*

hoxharding Guest
    Ohio has decided the death penalty is 'inhumane'
    Debate aside-think about what the teens did to that man-so which is more inhumane in this case?

Andrea Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    That was the first thing that came to mind when I read this story. Sounds like those two (if true) might have watched a few too many of those.

They sound like nice kids.........not!

hoxharding Guest
    Here is the link to Alex's Myspace profile(note-people are still leaving positive comments to him)
    http://www.myspace.com/55656934

This is JP's Profile
    http://www.myspace.com/skullsmakemesmile

KristinEileen Guest
    I'm watching this mess on T.V. right now. JP is just sitting there like this is no big deal... I don't get it,He beheaded a guy for $100 debt?

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    I'm watching this mess on T.V. right now. JP is just sitting there like this is no big deal... I don't get it,He beheaded a guy for $100 debt?
    Tell me about it! Then the kid who was asked to go along with it and didn't? He spoke as if he was saying "Yeah,he asked me to help fix his car."
    But he was being asked to help murder a human being!

Carrie Guest
    Off topic, but specific to Kym Worthy....I am very impressed with this gal. She is very tough and honorable...and she doesn't take any crap from anyone.

Slightly off topic, but when people find out you're a Death Hag, do they look at you funny like you could do something like this?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

panda Guest
    I work for Wayne County, for the juvenile detention facility which is right accross the street from the court house where this is taking place (Frank Murphy Hall of Justice). I no longer work at the facility, they moved me a few years ago, but my friends that work there still & the ones that work at Frank Murphy say its crazy over there with this trial going on. Between this trial & the asshole mayor, Kym Worthy has been a very busy lady as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Debate aside-think about what the teens did to that man-so which is more inhumane in this case?
    Exactly.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

OBX Guest
    Did you see those kids? If I was them, I would rather be safe in solitary on Death Row and in ten years take the needle. They are going to meet Bubba in the pen and he is going to use them up.

I don't like the death penalty because there is no fix for mistakes, but I also think being in a typical penitentiary would be much worse if it was for the rest of my life. And those tiny little fellas are gonna get it sooooo bad.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX View Post
    I don't like the death penalty because there is no fix for mistakes, but I also think being in a typical penitentiary would be much worse if it was for the rest of my life. And those tiny little fellas are gonna get it sooooo bad.
    I understand your point of view.

Surely; innocent people have been wrongly executed; and there is no fixing that.

With technology today; the chances of that happening are far less than ever before.

As for those two; in prison; they might come to enjoy being Bubbas' "bitch".

Is that so hard to imagine?

Well, maybe not Bubba; but...

Andrea Guest
    lol one of them lists his income as $250,000 or higher on his myspace page!

Iris Guest
    I don't know what's wrong with kids today. Things like this just shouldn't be happening. There was another murder in Michigan recently too. Wayne County if I'm not mistaken. If I heard correctly a teen shot someone sitting on their porch.

hoxharding Guest
    One of those kids looks really young and pretty- Ashleigh Banfield kept commenting how sweet and innocent he looked.
    Exactly the sort of thing that will make him popular in prison.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I understand your point of view.

Surely; innocent people have been wrongly executed; and there is no fixing that.

With technology today; the chances of that happening are far less than ever before.

As for those two; in prison; they might come to enjoy being Bubbas' "bitch".

Is that so hard to imagine?

Well, maybe not Bubba; but...
    People often say send them to jail and Bubba will get them. Here is the problem with that theory.....people will adjust and make do with whats at hand, if you follow what I mean. They might even not think it's so bad after a while.....they might even.like.it.alot.

endsleigh03 Guest

Death penalty...anyone?

I know that many here oppose it under most any circumstance; and I respect that; difference of opinion; nothing more.

I will only add that if people like this; and people like Timothy McVeigh; do not deserve it; then certainly no one does; and it should not be a legal consequence to a heinous crime.

Go ahead, get back on the box. Shove over, I am coming up there too.
    I just wonder what would happen if there was a 1 strike and you are out for murder policy in this country? Would there still be murder? Of course. Might it make a few people reconsider this crap? Maybe some.
    Here is the thing, putting killers in jail for life (or not even that sometimes) so they can sit on their lily-asses with three squares a day, form relationships (yeah, THAT) and friendships, and just basically LIVE the life they denied to their victim(s) is wrong. You want to talk about monumental unfairness? Taking someones life and being allowed to live yours out is wrong. Neither do I believe that most of them sit in prison and feel remorse for what they have done. They sit in there and wish they had never been caught, and try to figure out a way to get out with "New evidence" and "appeals" Blahhhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Go ahead, get back on the box. Shove over, I am coming up there too.
    I just wonder what would happen if there was a 1 strike and you are out for murder policy in this country? Would there still be murder? Of course. Might it make a few people reconsider this crap? Maybe some.
    Here is the thing, putting killers in jail for life (or not even that sometimes) so they can sit on their lily-asses with three squares a day, form relationships (yeah, THAT) and friendships, and just basically LIVE the life they denied to their victim(s) is wrong. You want to talk about monumental unfairness? Taking someones life and being allowed to live yours out is wrong. Neither do I believe that most of them sit in prison and feel remorse for what they have done. They sit in there and wish they had never been caught, and try to figure out a way to get out with "New evidence" and "appeals" Blahhhhhhhh.
    Agreed, Endsleigh!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Agreed, Endsleigh!
    ***Hangs head***

I am not in a good mood, is it showing?
    All started with that girl being beaten by the other kids on CNN early today.
    So much freaking violence, it get's old and it is heartbreaking.
    I should leave the news off, maybe.

Lita Guest

Death penalty...anyone?

I agree with you, Jim.

Here is the link to Alex's Myspace profile(note-people are still leaving positive comments to him)
    http://www.myspace.com/55656934

This is JP's Profile
    http://www.myspace.com/skullsmakemesmile
    Somehow, JP's profile name is ironic. Okay, wtf are people doing leaving myspace messages for these people? Hello! They can't read them! The comments made me want to message these people and say "No, it's not going to be okay. Your friend killed somebody and cut his head off. He's not 'getting out soon to listen to the best music everrrr'. He may have a lot of 'support' and he's going to need it where he's going."

hoxharding Guest
    Oh yeah-the guy who was going to be a lookout but bowed out came fourth just last week.
    He actually was the look-out on the first try. He helped with the tarps. But after the first fail, he decided not to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    ***Hangs head***

I am not in a good mood, is it showing?
    All started with that girl being beaten by the other kids on CNN early today.
    So much freaking violence, it get's old and it is heartbreaking.
    I should leave the news off, maybe.
    I still agree, endsleigh.

Not watching it, does not mean that it did not happen.

Or that it does not still affect us.

We need to care; and get involved.

I don't think that the world is too much different than it has ever been; news just travels faster and on a global scale.

Things we never heard about before hit us in the face every time we check our favorite news page.

The problem still boils down to upbringing; parents and children; and the responsibilities of both.

Here in the US; too many parents forsake their parental responsibilities; and claim that the goverment mandates the upbringing of children; through the schools; thus absolving them of their obligations as parents; and good citizens.

Nothing could be farher from the truth.

Some people should not have children; some people are a waste of breath.

They are really pretty easy to spot; due to their open mouths and small minds.

Big mouths and small minds are a most unfortunate combination.

Let them raise children; you get even more big mouths with even smaller minds; who are even less considerate than were their parents.

The failure of Democracy is unfolding.

GODDESS6 Guest
    i have been watching this trial on courttv/trutv & it is fascinating~

hoxharding Guest
    I swear they often censor cuss words on Tru tv when possible in trials when audio and video tapes are played. They are not censoring any of the words in this trial.
    An audio tape had the main killer kid saying the 'F' words many times within on sentence.

Lisamarie Guest
    Did you all gear his recorded phone converstaions from jail to his dad?? He sure didint sound all innocent! and for a kid that got himself into this mess he sure puts a hell of a lot of pressure on his parents to get him out! He like Im not doing any time do you hear me?? What did he think you can chop someones head off and it wont be a big deal??This kid is a great actor tho I must say the way he plays the jury is classic...he acts like an innocent little boy! He is good. I hope they send his ass away!!! Hope you like running theo a corn field backwards dude!! I diont care how bad the guy was bausing him or whatever he wants to say...many people deal with abuse and dont go killing them!! And how about his punk friends?? Can you believe we live in a day in age were a bunch of kids get together and take part in something so horribel?? And they act like its no big deal! I dont know wbaout you guys but if I saw a friend beheading someoen I would be horrified!! Thats something you dont forget! Im hope they send this shit away!!

hoxharding Guest
    I can't recall who on Tru tv said this but they talked about JP's deep voice and his 'iron will' and he could be in the Mafia.
    Oh yeah-great opinion :P The man was trying to explain the kid to viewers but it almost sounded like praise.

JestersKiss Guest
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/15/...ict/index.html

here is a news site with bits of video if anyone is intersested

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JestersKiss View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/15/...ict/index.html

here is a news site with bits of video if anyone is intersested

Thank you for the link! I didn't see the verdict and didn't know what it was.
    Boo hoo-J.P. looked a tad scared and upset(or I imagined it) I do not
    believe it is because of what he did though.
    I never could understand why they chose to go with 'self-defense'
    It was obviously was premeditated and knew if could not be seen as anything else.
    If they had to go with anything, it should of been something along the lines as it being revenge. Not that it would be true,but would be better than 'self-defense'.

JestersKiss Guest
    the look on his face told the story,,,,,,he wasnt shocked at all ,,,he knew it was coming,,,,,,i did put on a good puppy dog performance thou,,,,,,,just for the record i must say this was a very bizzare story. Im gonna have to check the court documents, but was there signs in his past of violence or rage,,,im betting yes

Lisamarie Guest
    Yeah the way he talked to his own parents and the way the parenst dealt with it told me this kid was use to getting His way....Im willing to bet he was a spoiled brat who threw tantrums often.....well Im sure they will love a pretty boy like that in prison..anyone else digusted that abunch of kids knew about this and said nothing did nothing!!! Thats scares the hell outta me!! What is this world coming too...thankgod they are locking this kid up!! Say hi to bubba for me!!

GODDESS6 Guest
    i'm sure since the verdict came down after trutv/courttv went off the air, they will show the verdict part this morning~ & i can't wait~
    no matter what spin he put on it ole JP is guilty as hell~ i can't wait to see his face when they pronounce him guilty either~
    even tho the victim was supposedly a bully, the things that were done to him are mortifying~ i felt bad for his parents having to sit thru the trial & listen to what happened to their son & how the kids took it all so nonchalantley~ very chilling & very, very sad~
    i have to admit i watched all that was televised of this trial & it was as i said earlier fascinating~

hoxharding Guest
    Dan's family has a Memorial profile on Myspace-here is the link:
    http://www.myspace.com/dansorensenforever2

I tried to make a friend's reqest but you have to type in their e-mail or last name.
    I kept trying to type in sorensen and it kept telling me that isn't their name!
    His parent's announced this link for the profile just a few minutes ago,so I am confused.

GODDESS6 Guest
    well i didn't see the despair on jp's face that'd i hoped i would~ but he's going away forever~
    i was very impressed w/ the victims family & how they asked for the community to keep the killers family in their prayers~

lil_zino Guest
    Orlewicz reminds me of Ted Bundy so much, it's not even funny. Those expressions he makes are so much like that of Bundy. Plus, both were very, very manipulative. I think anyhow. I almost get the feeling that this isn't the first time he's killed. I don't know, just vibes that I get. Could be totally off.

I'll be honest, I've been face to face with people who've killed. But, you'd have to pay me a lot to be in a room with this guy. Something about him just seems so not right.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_zino View Post
    Orlewicz reminds me of Ted Bundy so much, it's not even funny. Those expressions he makes are so much like that of Bundy. Plus, both were very, very manipulative. I think anyhow. I almost get the feeling that this isn't the first time he's killed. I don't know, just vibes that I get. Could be totally off.

I'll be honest, I've been face to face with people who've killed. But, you'd have to pay me a lot to be in a room with this guy. Something about him just seems so not right.

You are so right about him being like Ted Bundy- I wonder if he is a sociopath.

Lisamarie Guest
    He got a pretty mouth.....at least that what he will hearing a lot of...have fun little buddy!!!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    oh, he'll be someone's "little buddy" alright-that is for sure!

ktkatinmn Guest
    Bump - I had not heard of this story...sometimes I go wandering thru some of the old stuff that hasn't been commented on for some time - boring day at work.

Anywho... Boo hoo! poor JP is still the victim - But for a singular set of circumstances that resulted in tragedy and derailed JP's young life, JP was and is a good person worthy of release from prison.

http://jporlewicz.com/index.html

Not seeing anything new about the other punk involved...must be a model prisoner.

I haven't heard of this story until now. A victim my butt..I don't get why kids, he isn't a kid now, but I don't get why they think it's okay to kill.