Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carroll O'Connor

I absolutely loved him in Return To Me. I was out walking tonight and one of his lines from the movie popped into my head..."Either you are really early or really late, what's your take on it?'' said with an Irish accent. His character really made that movie. My other favorite line of his in that one was this one, said as his granddaughter, of whom he is very protective, is going to sit out in the garden with her new beau and a glass of wine. "I put the special candle out there, the one that repels the bugs. All species except one...the saber toothed fly."

God bless him!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

lisalouver Guest
    Carroll was a rare find in Hollywood.

We were lucky to have him.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that Carroll in real life was nothing like Archie.

Still, I think we would have loved him either way.

Sampiro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    I think my favorite is when Edith was happy it was Henry Mancini's birthday, and everyone was excited because Archie was coming home from a convention. He walks in and the neighbor was standing on her head (actress Betty Garrett) and Mike and Gloria were making out, the Jeffersons were dancing and the look on Archie's face when saw everyone acting loopy was priceless. I miss him, he was a jewel.
    I loved his line (and the way he delivered it) in that scene: "Ah Jeez! I go away three days, come home, it's like the nut house on New Year's Eve!"

jcc Guest

Smile

Does anybody know when All In the Family Season 7 will be released on DVD. You would think they would release it already or a long time ago. I have all six seasons so far that have been released.

I really enjoyed him in All In The Family. I still watch the reruns on TV Land even though they edited them. I said I wasn't going to watch them because of that and since I have them on DVD and said I'd watch them only if I they didn't have them on DVD. For a while I did just that. Then I started watching them all again anyway.

My favorite episode is the one with Mike and Gloria have a fight and Mike has to spend the night with Archie and he spills water on the bed.

Before that Archie talks to Mike about fire and gastrisis. Another scene I like.

Archie: You got into bed with me to do this here?
    Mike: It was an accident.
    Archie. No. With little Joey, it would be an accident, with you it would be a dishonorable discharge!

Carroll O'Conner

I don't think there is a thread on him (I tried my best search lol)

If so I apologize.

John Carroll O'Connor (August 2, 1924 â?? June 21, 2001) was an American actor, producer and director whose television career spanned four decades. Known at first for playing the role of Maj. Gen. Colt in the 1970 cult movie, Kelly's Heroes, he later found fame as the bigoted workingman Archie Bunker, the main character in the 1970s CBS television sitcoms All in the Family (1971 to 1979) and Archie Bunker's Place (1979 to 1983). O'Connor later starred in the 1980s NBC television crime drama In the Heat of the Night, where he played the role of Police Chief Bill Gillespie from 1988 to 1994. At the end of his career in the late 1990s, he played the father of Jamie Stemple Buchman (Helen Hunt) on Mad About You.
    I think even more interesting than Carroll was the death of his son Hugh. Hugh was an adopted son who starred in the Heat of the Night with his dad. He was addicted to drugs and actually wound up committing suicide on his third wedding anniversary. Carroll spent the rest of his life fighting against drugs and promoting drug awareness (cocaine specifically) in California, where they even named a law after Hugh.

Damn just found the other thread! I suck - sorry again

Edith's death....

Mind you, they never showed her actually dying. This is Archie finally coming to terms with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UKrA...eature=related

Still waiting to see Carroll on FAD.....
    Last edited by Kman0072; 11-09-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Snoopy Guest
    Oh my forgot about that scene..that just ripped my heart out.

TheLazenby Guest
    God, I wish they'd get their act together and finish the DVD sets. I have seasons 1-6 and I need the rest! (Bootlegs of the last three seasons are very expensive, unfortunately.) I might have to shell out for pirates someday... I'm watching 1-6 through in order, and I want the full impact of Mike and Gloria leaving. Besides, I want to see what it's like when Stephie moves in AFTER you've seen the previous eight seasons. :-)

They even put out season 1 of "Archie Bunker's Place", and skipped the rest. Damn. We didn't get the whole 'Edith dies' episode.

Town Without Pity Guest
    Always loved Carrol, from Kelly's Heros to AITF and ITHOTN. He also reminded me of my Dad in many ways.....Don't think I can pick a favorite episode...but he is surley missed. RIP Archie.

I watched two episodes of In The Heat of The Night today. Caroll wasan awesome actor. I found myself getting teary eyed over the fact that he is gone. Is Howard Rollins still alive?

FannyB1923 Guest
    We picked up a new "side channel" Antenna TV which features a lot of the Norman Lear series. I'm having a good old time watching Archie again!

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    I watched two episodes of In The Heat of The Night today. Caroll wasan awesome actor. I found myself getting teary eyed over the fact that he is gone. Is Howard Rollins still alive?
    Died in 1996 from lymphoma-related complications.

Yeah -- I just googled that. What a waste! Howard was such a good actor. He had major issues, though.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    I wrote to Carroll O'Connor when I was a kid and he sent me an autographed photo - One of the few stars who were nice enough to reply. I think it is stored away at my parent's home, if I ever find it I will upload it here.

Murphee Guest

Smile Some episodes...

Some of my fav episodes:

Edith doing jury duty (one lone juror, you should have said one lone dingbat)

When Mike and Gloria have their two hippie friends over, and they are making things difficult because they are not married and Archie won't have them sleep over.

The Beverley LaSalle episodes.

The menopause one.

The episode where they all play that game and Mike thinks they are all picking on him.

The Xmas one with the deserter from Canada.

TheLazenby Guest
    I just finished a two-year, complete marathon of "All In The Family" and "Archie Bunker's Place" recently. (Well, 'complete' except for the two-part ABP episode about Stephanie's bat mitzvah - that one's very hard to find apparently.)

Wow. I have never seen a show take such a nosedive. Most of the episodes in the last two seasons of ABP aren't even centered around Archie - the show focused more on his niece Billie and her annoying Woody Allen-esque boyfriend. Terrible.

The "shoe-bootie" episode still resonates with me. Archie told Mike that his family was so poor that he had to wear one shoe and one boot to school.The kids made fun of Archie and called him "Shoe-Bootie." When Mike covers his passed out father-Iaw with the canvas,he says, "Good night, Shoe-Bootie."
    Scott, don't be a meathead, please add Carroll O'Connor to the Directory."
    Last edited by cindyt; 09-03-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Carroll O'Connor was so talented, he really made you believe Archie Bunker was real, and yes, in real life he was the exact opposite of who he portrayed. His comedic timing and delivery, not to mention how he could butcher a phrase or a word was just unheard of at the time. More importantly, he knew how the business worked, and wasn't afraid to stand his ground over a script that didn't make sense, or how he was being compensated. Several times he refused to show up until his demands were met, very few people in the entertainment industry had that kind of clout.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

ITA Dangit.

Trivia: He was considered for the role of The Skipper on Gilligan's Island and Dr. Smith in the TV show Lost In Space.

Loved him in All in the Family and the TV series In the Heat of the Night, but what really impressed me was his reaction to his son Hugh's suicide.

O'Connor appeared in public service announcements for Partnership for a Drug Free America and spent the rest of his life working to raise awareness about drug addiction. O'Connor also successfully lobbied to get the State of California to pass legislation allowing family members of an addicted person or anyone injured by a drug dealer's actions, including employers, to sue for reimbursement for medical treatment and rehabilitation costs and other economic and non-economic damages. The law, known as the Drug Dealer Civil Liability Act in California, went into effect in 1997. It is also referred to as The Hugh O'Connor Memorial Law. The act is based on the Model Drug Dealer Liability Act authored in 1992 by then Hawaii U.S. Attorney Daniel Bent. The Model Drug Dealer Liability Act has been passed in 17 states and the Virgin Islands. A website devoted to the Act can be found at: www.ModelDDLA.com. Cases have been brought under the Act in California, Illinois, Utah and other states. His son's suicide inspired O'Connor to start a crusade against the man who sold the drugs to Hugh. He called Harry Perzigian "a partner in murder" and a "sleazeball". Perzigian filed a defamation lawsuit against the actor. In 1997, a California jury threw out the case. In an interview on CNN's Larry King Live soon after the verdict, O'Connor said he would never be able to put his son's death behind him. "I can't forget it. There isn't a day that I don't think of him and want him back and miss him, and I'll feel that way until I'm not here anymore," he said.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_O'Connor
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

If you haven't seen it, I definitely suggest In the Heat of the Night. Carroll and Howard Rollins are incredible on there.

I catch most of a rerun most days while eating dinner.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by QuietlyFly View Post
    If you haven't seen it, I definitely suggest In the Heat of the Night. Carroll and Howard Rollins are incredible on there.
    I've always been a fan of his, so recently I started watching ITHOTN on Amazon Prime. I love it. I'm already halfway through Season 5.

Hugh is great on the show, too. I love his character.
    "I'm down in this valley where the wheels turn so low
    At dawn I pray to the Lord of my soul
    I say dear Lord, do right by me
    You know
    I'm tired of being lonesome, on'ry and mean..." - Waylon

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    I always enjoyed Archie Bunker. Very sad about his personal problems though.
    This is so very true.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.