Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sad case of Zach Sowers

The sad case of Zach Sowers

Last JUNE in Baltimore, a young man named ZACH SOWERS was walking home from a neighborhood bar at which time he was viciously attacked. He'd married his high school sweetheart the previous year. She was in Chicago at the time. When her calls to his cell phone went unanswered, she contacted police who eventually put 2+ 2 together and advised her that the description of her husband sounded like that of a JOHN DOE who had been admitted to the emergency room of a local hospital after a violent assault had left him in critical shape with bleeding on the brain.

The bums who committed the assault were minors, (who) brutally beat the newlywed man during a robbery. SOWERS died 2 days ago, 9 months after the assault. Comatose most of the time since last June, he never recovered. In a racially charged city like Baltimore, when there' case in which the victim is a different race from the perpetrators, these things are handled 'carefully'. ZACH SOWERS was white; the thugs who killed him are black. The cretins were apphrehended when they were caught using SOWERS' credit cards. The lead bastard had been observed stomping on SOWERS head at the time of the attack. The Baltimore District Attorney' office offered a plea bargain to the little bastards while SOWERS was still alive, so that in case SOWERS died they wouldn't be charged with his murder.

SOWERS , Zachary Zachary Evan Sowers, 28, of Baltimore and formerly of Frederick and Circleville, Ohio passed away on March 25, 2008 at Johns Hopkins Bayview Hospital in Baltimore. Born August 23, 1979 in Circleville, Ohio, he was the loving husband of Anna Cheng, whom he married October 20, 2006 and the son of Kim Good of Frederick and Gary and Cindy Sowers of Circleville. He is also survived by his sisters, Ashley Sowers and her fiancƩ Terry Wasley of Solana Beach, California and Taylor Good of Frederick. In addition, Zach will be remembered by many loving family members and friends, and will be missed by his beloved and faithful pug, Mia. Zach graduated in 1997 from Frederick High School and was a Loates Scholarship recipient. In 2002, he received a BA degree in Business Administration Management from Towson University. At the time of his death, he was employed with Johns Hopkins University as a Senior Financial Analyst, and was pursuing his Masters Degree in ITS from JHU. After their destination wedding in Mexico, Zach and Anna traveled to Italy for their honeymoon and had dreams to see the world. They hoped these were the beginnings of many travels together. One of Zach's greatest passions was music. In his spare time, he enjoyed working as a DJ and spent many hours perfecting his craft in his basement. Zach was known to all as a perfectionist. He kept everything neat and in order and gave 100% effort to all of his endeavors and responsibilities. He was a wonderful and loyal friend to all, always available to listen and he laughed easily. Zach loved his wife, his family, and his friends, but most importantly, Zach loved to accomplish and contribute to the world.
    The family will receive friends at the Stauffer Funeral Home, 1621 Opossumtown Pike in Frederick on Thursday, March 27, from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm and again from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm. A short memorial service will begin at 7:00 pm. Interment will be in Circleville, Ohio. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions be sent to the Zach Sowers Support Fund at Frederick County Bank, which will be used for The Zach Sowers Brain Trauma Research Fund at Johns Hopkins and/or continuing legislative efforts for Zach's Law. Online condolences may be offered at www.zachsowers.com or to www.staufferfuneralhome.com
    Published in the Baltimore Sun on 3/27/2008.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

RaRaRamona Guest
    That's sick. I hope those punks get it in prison.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Actually, I really want to know why they didn't want these violent murdering kids to be properly punished.

lisalouver Guest
    God, that last picture of his wife kissing his hand is heartwrenching.

They should rot in prison forever.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Reading the site link above I cam across an interesting article.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,790936.column

I can't believe anyone would actually think a "no snitch" rule is a good idea. Frickin idiots.

Jazbabee Guest
    Zach and Anna are very well known and loved here in Frederick. Needless to say, there has been a HUGE public outcry since this whole oreal began. I seriously doubt that the public here are going to tolerate how this case has been handled so far.
    Zach's passing is indeed tragic, but Anna has been amazing so far in pushing for needed changes, and I believe that we will see changes come about due to what this family has had to suffer through.

OMG that's heartbreaking.

Since when did violence become the great American pasttime for kids?

NOVSTORM Guest
    The old plea bargin so they won't have to try themfor murder because of race riots. There is much racial tension in Baltimore. I wouldn't live there for anything in the world. It is a shame that they did this because those men and I mean men (if they ae old enough to kill they are old enough to be tried as adults) are a different race and if they tried them as adults for murder the shit would hit the fan there. This is what the black leaders there are telling the young people, "do not tell on your own people." Evenif they commit murder keep your mouth shut". Great politicans there.
    Buster Rhymes needs to go to prison until he opens his mouth and tells who killed his own body guard but it won't happen.

RaRaRamona Guest
    With "leaders" like Al Sharpton urging the to riot I don't doubt. If you keep letting it happen, guess what? It'll continue to happen. The riots, that is.

Lisamarie Guest
    The race card again.......

SinKittyVixen Guest
    How heartwrenching. I cat even imagineif this was my husband..RIP Zach

cherryghost Guest
    He had such a lovely open face and really looked the way he was described in the story! I hate these stories, they break your heart and its somehow amounts to life!

ajurk Guest
    i live a few miles from baltimore...

there are many misconceptions about baltimore. i love the city, its a crazy fun place to live and work. but then there are the places you see on The Wire. and yes, that show is accurate. and as a white chick, i stay away from those places. there are many places in the city that are extremely nice and extremely expensive and then a block away is the inner city ghetto. its a very interesting place to live. Anna is on the news a lot and she really is doing great things. this story is very sad and trust me, people here, no matter what race they are, are discussed by the fact that these boys are getting slaps on the wrist. this whole race riot thing is non-exsistent with this case. atleast i have not seen or heard anything to the like, not even when charges were being pressed against them. if there was, im sure Jaz can correct me on that. its has been awhile since this happend (the initial inncident, so i dont really remember). Anna was on the news last night. she is filing a civil suit against all of them. she said that it was for the principle of the fact. she knows that she will not get any money out of them, but in the future, their pay will forever be garnished for what she will win and will be a constant reminder to them of what they have done. she is going to make sure this haunts them for the rest of their lives. im glad that she is fighting and not letting this destroy her.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    The race card again.......

This will probably get me banned but the truth hurts.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajurk View Post
    Anna was on the news last night. she is filing a civil suit against all of them. she said that it was for the principle of the fact. she knows that she will not get any money out of them, but in the future, their pay will forever be garnished for what she will win and will be a constant reminder to them of what they have done. she is going to make sure this haunts them for the rest of their lives. im glad that she is fighting and not letting this destroy her.
    Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post

This will probably get me banned but the truth hurts.
    LMHO!!!!

pvezz Guest
    Absolutely SICKENING that the prosecutor would have plea-bargained with these little fucks.

I had never heard of this story, before - thanks, Kelt, for posting it. This just makes me so mad/sad. Go Anna!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Maruz83 Guest
    So freakin sick how they are gonna go free to be thugs..... There never going to have real jobs for her to collect money from. Sorry once a hoodlum always !

wanderoze Guest
    That story breaks my heart.

I have a sister and a niece who live in Baltimore City. Last year my niece was attacked in her apartment and savagely beaten with a golf club. Broke the bones in her face and she ended up losing an eye. The police were never able to identify her attacker. My sister is a retired teacher from Lake Clifton High School. She has already been attacked and robbed in her own classroom.

I don't have warm fuzzy feelings toward Baltimore.

How horrible! IMO, that Jesse Jackson "ad" was FUNNY! Sad, but at times, true.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Cherry Malotte Guest
    I don't understand...why should there be a race riot? These monsters should be accountable for their actions, no matter what race they are.

Accountable for their actions? Not in this country and this day and age. We have turned into a nation of faultless victims.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

ajurk Guest
    from what i can remember... since he was still 'alive' after the beatings it would have just been an assult charge. i think they wanted to leave things open in case he did die, which would have been murder charges. so to get things moving along instead of just waiting for him to die they just let them plead guilty to assult with the stipulation that is they plead guilty then they would not be charged with his murder if he died. as far as race war is concerned, im guessing that the argument was, what if this was the other way around and it was white kids that beat up a black guy, they probably would have gotten the assult charge and not the murder charge and no one would think anything of it.

RaRaRamona Guest
    from what i can remember... since he was still 'alive' after the beatings it would have just been an assult charge. i think they wanted to leave things open in case he did die, which would have been murder charges. so to get things moving along instead of just waiting for him to die they just let them plead guilty to assult with the stipulation that is they plead guilty then they would not be charged with his murder if he died. as far as race war is concerned, im guessing that the argument was, what if this was the other way around and it was white kids that beat up a black guy, they probably would have gotten the assult charge and not the murder charge and no one would think anything of it.
    And there would have been a riot?

Lita Guest
    Oh no, no, no, no, no. Had this been the "other way around," all hell would be breaking lose. Rev. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be leading protests and calling for justice. Where is Zach's activists? Where's the protest for his justice? I have nothing against black people as a whole. I just get sick of the ones who play the race card or the entitlement card. Yeah, slavery was horrible but it was 200 years ago! Nobody who owned slaves is still alive! I do not believe that anybody, no matter race, sex, creed, or religion is entitled to compensation for something that nobody alive today had anything to do with. Not everybody's ancestors owned slaves. Anyway, back to the matter at hand. If a black man had been this viciously attacked by a group of white males, you can bet that this plea bargain wouldn't ever have been made. I think it's sad that the justice system is sending the message that if you're black and you viciously beat somebody into a coma who then later dies, it's okay. You murdered this man but you don't have face the consequences of that. You directly caused his death, purposefully, but you just get charged with assault. I'm really cheesed off.

Maruz83 Guest
    Umm no I think that if they were white kids beating up a black man it would have been all over the NEWS (CNN & FOX & MSNBC) and Jesse Jackson and his parade of morons would have wanted those boys killed. Sorry but it's not fair and this is JMO !

Jazbabee Guest
    i live a few miles from baltimore...

there are many misconceptions about baltimore. i love the city, its a crazy fun place to live and work. but then there are the places you see on The Wire. and yes, that show is accurate. and as a white chick, i stay away from those places. there are many places in the city that are extremely nice and extremely expensive and then a block away is the inner city ghetto. its a very interesting place to live. Anna is on the news a lot and she really is doing great things. this story is very sad and trust me, people here, no matter what race they are, are discussed by the fact that these boys are getting slaps on the wrist. this whole race riot thing is non-exsistent with this case. atleast i have not seen or heard anything to the like, not even when charges were being pressed against them. if there was, im sure Jaz can correct me on that. its has been awhile since this happend (the initial inncident, so i dont really remember). Anna was on the news last night. she is filing a civil suit against all of them. she said that it was for the principle of the fact. she knows that she will not get any money out of them, but in the future, their pay will forever be garnished for what she will win and will be a constant reminder to them of what they have done. she is going to make sure this haunts them for the rest of their lives. im glad that she is fighting and not letting this destroy her.
    I agree - your assessments are spot on ! When in the hell is this society gonna get it right ? Screw the race business.....human life is human life, and the race card is old and worn out - the responsible parties should be held responsible to the FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. I believe everyone here is spot on with their feedback - and I myself am a double minority !! You can look at my profile pic, and try to guess which ones, but I will never tell, I will just have to let it drive u crazy - lol

Maruz83 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    You can look at my profile pic, and try to guess which ones, but I will never tell, I will just have to let it drive u crazy - lol

The hot babe minitory !! Like me !!

KristinEileen Guest
    This story makes me sick. Those kids should be charged with a hate crime! That's what this was even if it wasn't outwardly spoken. I hope to GOD there is some way that these kids will pay even though they probably won't.
    RIP Zach...

ajurk Guest
    hey i dont agree with what i wrote, that was just the excuse for it. i think they had an example of another case and that was all they needed. i just think that they did not want it to be tried as a hate crime, because that would have brought on riots. it was more of just a robbery crime, no specific target.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    Umm no I think that if they were white kids beating up a black man it would have been all over the NEWS (CNN & FOX & MSNBC) and Jesse Jackson and his parade of morons would have wanted those boys killed. Sorry but it's not fair and this is JMO !
    Remember the Jena 6?

MorbidMolly Guest
    I don`t give a rats ass if they were fucking purple with white spots.......a murder, is a murder.......how in the hell is the black community suppose to attain any dignity, when their shit-for-brains " leaders " carry on their endless diatribe of absolute BULLSHIT.......I am so fucking sick of the so-called " race card "........it is not only detrimental to the communtities as a whole, but especially the tax paying, upstanding " minorities " as a whole......and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am married to a Cuban, whose mother is Island Black........and living in Miami, it is I who have had a healthy dose of racism.........day in, and day out........I deal with it and move on, even though I`m treated like a piece of shit most days.......

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    I don`t give a rats ass if they were fucking purple with white spots.......a murder, is a murder.......how in the hell is the black community suppose to attain any dignity, when their shit-for-brains " leaders " carry on their endless diatribe of absolute BULLSHIT.......I am so fucking sick of the so-called " race card "........it is not only detrimental to the communtities as a whole, but especially the tax paying, upstanding " minorities " as a whole......and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am married to a Cuban, whose mother is Island Black........and living in Miami, it is I who have had a healthy dose of racism.........day in, and day out........I deal with it and move on, even though I`m treated like a piece of shit most days.......
    I think I love you. It's that first line "I don't give a rats ass if they were fucking purple with white spots". And I totally agree with everything you said.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    I think I love you. It's that first line "I don't give a rats ass if they were fucking purple with white spots". And I totally agree with everything you said.
    Why thank you very kindly........I`m sure I`ll piss someone off, but hey, it`s never stopped me before......( does this mean we`re engaged )

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    The hot babe minitory !! Like me !!
    lolol.....I like that one, I will have to use it !!

Sharmika Guest
    It makes me sick to think that this man lost his life just.... because. Happens too fuckin' often. I hope the shitbrains that did this fry 'til their lips sizzle!

Kugmu Guest

This is just so sad. I can think of nothing to say.
    I'm sorry Anna.
    Peace be with you.

pvezz Guest
    Those last photos are just heartbreaking.

RaRaRamona Guest
    She's gorgeous. And they were obviously so in love. She's fought so hard for him.

SEL2323 Guest
    i just pray nothing happens to her, for calling attention to this.

Kugmu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SEL2323 View Post
    This is not good...
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,790936.column

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugmu View Post
    What isn't?

Kugmu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    What isn't?
    This:
    ā?¢ Darrell Brooks poured gasoline into the home of the Dawson family in October of 2002 and set a fire that killed seven people. Angela and Carnell Dawson had called police about drug dealing in their neighborhood. Drug dealers called them "snitches."

ā?¢ Edna McAbier had her home firebombed in January 2005 by members of a neighborhood gang who felt had she snitched on them by calling police about their criminal activities.

ā?¢ In July 2004, 15-year-old Quartrina Johnson was strangled so she wouldn't testify in a statutory-rape case. Three men were convicted of her murder and a fourth of conspiracy to commit murder. Jason T. Richards, the man who was charged with statutory rape and who prosecutors say ordered Quartrina's death, called one of his co-defendants a "punk" and a "snitch." Richards even threw the N-word in there for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by SEL2323 View Post
    Me too.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Oooh I thought there was something new since I posted that link a week ago.

Kugmu Guest
    Of all the stuff that I have seen posted on this site, this is the only one that has effected me emotionally in some way.
    I canā??t help but cry when I think of or see that picture of Anna kissing Zackā??s hand.
    I donā??t know why I am so touched by this. Guess Iā??m not as much of a cold hearted bustard as I thought I was.

Norma Desmond Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderoze View Post
    That story breaks my heart.

I have a sister and a niece who live in Baltimore City. Last year my niece was attacked in her apartment and savagely beaten with a golf club. Broke the bones in her face and she ended up losing an eye. The police were never able to identify her attacker. My sister is a retired teacher from Lake Clifton High School. She has already been attacked and robbed in her own classroom.

I don't have warm fuzzy feelings toward Baltimore.
    Unfortunately Baltimore is not the only place where this stuff happens continuously, I know as the victim of a similarly vicious attack that violence waits around every corner, in every big city on earth, and in a whole lot of small towns too. And it happens without warning and for no reason at all.

My bit of advice to the widow: let it go. You will never, EVER obtain justice or anything that remotely resembles it, not in this life. Our system just doesn't work like that any longer...and all you will get from your quest is grief, and possibly be killed or maimed yourself for your trouble, by friends of the scum you're attempting to exact 'justice' from.
    Make peace with yourself and with your man's memory, and let karma do the rest.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Norma Desmond View Post
    Unfortunately Baltimore is not the only place where this stuff happens continuously, I know as the victim of a similarly vicious attack that violence waits around every corner, in every big city on earth, and in a whole lot of small towns too. And it happens without warning and for no reason at all.

My bit of advice to the widow: let it go. You will never, EVER obtain justice or anything that remotely resembles it, not in this life. Our system just doesn't work like that any longer...and all you will get from your quest is grief, and possibly be killed or maimed yourself for your trouble, by friends of the scum you're attempting to exact 'justice' from.
    Make peace with yourself and with your man's memory, and let karma do the rest.
    That's true but some cities are more violent than others look at Chicago & Memphis & it seems Baltimore. She's making a difference in the world & not only that it's how she will heal. No offense, but it is attitudes like yours that have allowed society to get in this state.

Norma Desmond Guest
    That's true but some cities are more violent than others look at Chicago & Memphis & it seems Baltimore. She's making a difference in the world & not only that it's how she will heal. No offense, but it is attitudes like yours that have allowed society to get in this state.
    My dear, I live across the bay from one of the most violent cities in the world...I believe Oakland was recently ranked #1 (and I was raised there so know whereof I speak)...so no need to tell me about violent cities.

Also--no need to go on the attack about my 'attitude', just an opinion. I don't bite, and neither should you. Cool it down, please...

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Norma Desmond View Post
    My dear, I live across the bay from one of the most violent cities in the world...I believe Oakland was recently ranked #1 (and I was raised there so know whereof I speak)...so no need to tell me about violent cities.

Also--no need to go on the attack about my 'attitude', just an opinion. I don't bite, and neither should you. Cool it down, please...
    Well, I did say "no offense." What I said was attitudes such as yours, being that you don't think anyone should stand up & try to make a difference b/c you don't think it'll do any good is exactly why we're in the shape we are in.

I wasn't at all trying to educate you on violent cities. I merely pointed out that while you're right, crime happens everywhere, it happens more in some places & it's even more important to make a stand in those areas. If no one ever stood up to violent oppressors where would we be?

Norma Desmond Guest
    Well, I did say "no offense." What I said was attitudes such as yours, being that you don't think anyone should stand up & try to make a difference b/c you don't think it'll do any good is exactly why we're in the shape we are in.

I wasn't at all trying to educate you on violent cities. I merely pointed out that while you're right, crime happens everywhere, it happens more in some places & it's even more important to make a stand in those areas. If no one ever stood up to violent oppressors where would we be?
    Is it your practice to say "no offense" when you intend to do just that--offend? I offered my humble advice, and you tore it apart. You have your opinion, I have mine. Why say "no offense" and then attack me for my thoughts?

I just hate sentences that begin with "It's people like you..." All I'm saying is we can't ALL be crusaders, we can't ALL be activists. For those that can and are comfortable doing so, GREAT. In MY experience however, pursuing justice was not only fruitless and took years of my life away, but gave me nothing but heartache and brought even MORE violence into my life. I was just trying to convey that experience, not save the world. That's all.

OK?