Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weirdness of WalMart

They have been fighting Unions forever. God forbid they actually have to give their employees benefits and stop screwing them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I don't think that Wal-Mart should be telling but how to vote but I hate unions. They've ruined a few industries in the country.

Seagorath Guest
    Wal-Mart is nothing but a tub of "flabby white trash" in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Wal-Mart is nothing but a tub of "flabby white trash" in my opinion...
    How dare you speak of a tub of "flabby white trash" in that manner.

BooMom Guest
    Reeks of scare tactics to me.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    Kroger is having some political issues of their own right now, at least in Colorado anyway. Colorado is voting on "right to work" in November and Kroger is dead against it as they feel people who work for them should be forced to join their union no matter the position.

The big rumor out here is that if "right to work" passes then the chain will start closing up stores putting people out of work. My husband works for Safeway and he was telling me he that some of his friends who work for Kroger, even they admit that their chain is starting these rumors to scare people so Kroger can get what they want.

Kohls, Starbucks Coffee, Food Lion and I think even Target I have heard have been known to fire people right off the bat if they dare to even as much as mention "union" in their stores.
    You're not kidding. I worked in their photo lab for a short time as a "practice job" after I had my son (meaning, I wasn't sure if we could handle me working.) I made is clear I might quit & why I was there. Still, the union peole came around & forced me to join the union, saying I'd be fired if I didn't. Had I not been desperate to get out of the house for a few hours every day I would have quit right then. They also tried to make me feel I wasn't getting enough money; "Wow I'm shocked they didn't offer you more with your work history & experience..." PUH-leeze! I agreed to the amount they gave me - had that been a job I needed to pay bills it might have worked & I might have been upset. Instead I was pissed off that they were trying to trick me into causing a problem.

I have never worked with a more lazy, rude, unmotivated group of people in my life. Unions will do that to a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtine View Post
    what ever happened to just going to work, doing your job and just going home?
    That's what I'm saying!

Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    I have worked union, and I have worked non union...And I had a better working expierence working non union...the union did nothing for me but take my money for their "union fees"....
    Yeah & they will put you on the street holding picket signs in a heartbeat, with little to no pay. They are in it for a profit & anyone who thinks otherwise needs to look closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    As much as I detest wal mart, I friggin hate that store , hiring illegals and such. I dont think they have any business trying to influence peoples votes. But I hate unions and am completely against them. All unions have ever done for me is take my money and left me high and dry ... hmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Wal-Mart is a joke...and Home Depot is even worse...in regards to hiring the "illegals"...
    I agree, but I shop there. I also agree that it would devastate the company if it went union. The unions send out propaganda about WM all the time. It's sickening. They know WM is better & has better prices & especially in these times that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    They have been fighting Unions forever. God forbid they actually have to give their employees benefits and stop screwing them.
    No one forces anyone to work at WM. I think you've heard too much propaganda. Every time a WM opens in a town the economy goes up, 5-10 times the people apply than what the place can hire. Regardless of what you have heard, WM is a good company & they treat their people well. If they didn't no one would work there. They do provide benefits, just not for free, like any business. There are bad situations everywhere, but they are with few exceptions, a wonderful company.

Quote Originally Posted by jma776 View Post
    I don't think that Wal-Mart should be telling but how to vote but I hate unions. They've ruined a few industries in the country.
    More than a few. Look at the recent automotive bankruptcies.

panda Guest
    Being a government agency, of course we're unionized. Before I became a supervisor I had ASFSME & they did nothing except take their dues out of my check. Now I have GAA & at least they send us a pocket calender every year & throw a hell of a party at the Roostertail (beautiful place) every Christmas! All the good that was once behind the unions is long gone, union people used to take pride in their work & were the best of the best. Having a union now days means you can sleep on the job, miss as much time as you want, come to work drunk or high, do shitty work, do no work, have absolutely no pride in your work, and still keep your job. Without a mountain of paperwork showing that you warned an employee 1000 times to not do something that the employee clearly knows the're not supposed to do (drunk, high, sleep) an employer has no grounds to fire. And if they're a drunk or a drug addict, the employer, a lot of times, has to send them to counseling/rehab at their expense! Another good thing ruined by scumbags taking advantage.

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    I can't believe they would push their political agenda on their employees.

Target is much better anyways, does anyone know if Target employees are unionized?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Delivian View Post

Target is much better anyways, does anyone know if Target employees are unionized?
    They must be. I can't ever get any help there. ahahaha j/k

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    They must be. I can't ever get any help there. ahahaha j/k
    HAHAHAHAHA you are so right about that RARA

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    I don't see where, in recent years anyway, unions have done much for their members..
    Case in point:
    In 2004, I was living in Orlando and a sous chef at Universal Orlando. Universal is a non union park. Disney, however, WAS union.
    Disney employees really did not make that much more than we did, and we had the same perks/bennies. The one difference being that Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens employees were comped from park to park, as a hospitality. Disney refused to play nice and would not comp other parks' employees. OK, no biggie...
    When we had those 3 hurricanes come thru Orlando that summer, Universal was WONDERFUL to the employees! If we were scheduled to work and could not, we were paid anyway for the shift, no matter your status, Seasonal, Part-time or Full-time. If you did work to help close the park or re-open it, you were paid time and a half. You were fed free at the cafeterias, and they also set up ice trucks for those of us that had no power, water and food distribution. I had no power in the place I was living, and I had 2 small indoor dogs that I was afraid to leave in the home as the temps were almost 115 in the heat of the day inside...Universal let me bring my dogs to work with me and keep them in the air conditioned kennels for free while I worked.
    From what I heard, Disney employees did not fare so well. Unless you were Full-time, you did not get paid for time lost, you were penalized if you did not show up to work when needed, and I never heard of any aid to the victims that worked there.
    Within a month afterwards there was a large number of ex-Disney employees who were hired at Sea World, Wet n' Wild and Universal.

The union really was working hard for those guys, huh?

xenaswolf Guest
    I have worked union, and I have worked non union...And I had a better working expierence working non union...the union did nothing for me but take my money for their "union fees"....
    Ditto!

Tebssis Guest
    There's pros and cons for or against unions. Had good experiences when the reps did their jobs, bad when they didn't. I once worked for a company that I was warned that I could be fired if I mentioned Union on my coffee break. Was told that once a whole dept. had been fired for talking about it on their breaks. To which I said, I bet it wasn't for long, since it's against FEDERAL law to fire a person for talking union on personal time! And of course, it wasn't, they hired the whole dept. back the very next day! They should have fired the human resource personnel that authorized the mass firing for not knowing that! They could have been in big costly trouble if anyone had wanted to push it.
    That being said, Texas is a right to work state and my hubby works in a Union shop but not everyone belongs, it's left up to the individual if they join the union. They make jokes about the "scabs" but everybody gets along no matter what the co worker decides. There are 2 other shops of the same work in town that aren't union, and they make $8 to $10 LESS than what my hubby does for the same work. So yeah, I don't mind his union dues, we use them as a deduction at tax time anyway.
    As for Wal Mart trying to tell their employees, salaried OR hourly, how to vote is just wrong! I was raised when it was bad form to ask anybody how they voted, much less lobby them at work before the election! And if you ask me, a baby from the 50's, it's BS like this that is tearing down America. The government and corporations getting in your personal business!!! Maybe if old Sam still was around to run the company and their bottom line wasn't such an issue as it is with his kids, things like this wouldn't be an issue either.
    And speaking as an East Texan, when WalMart busted the butcher's union here, their meat products quality dropped dramically. WalMart bought cheaper prepackaged meats but sold them at the same price as site butchered meat, so who suffered? And the only people I know that work at WalMart that like it are kids that still live at home and don't have bills. The others with families HAVE to work there because of the slow job market in this town and work another one also to make ends meet. And I feel the same way about Disney, another mega corporation that gained their status in the business world as worker friendly/wholesome business that you could trust that has turned into a money grubbin', the public's nothing but a bunch of rubes exploitation factory!!! Well, I've ranted enough. Sorry if I stepped on any toes, you know I love you all.

Forever-27 Guest
    The union never took up for me when I needed them most. Thats why I hate unions. Long ago I worked for a union run shop and hated it. I was harassed by my supervisor to no end. even going so far as to do my yearly review in spanish knowning I dont know spanish. She was always pushing me to quit, that id be better off at this place or that place over there. Even being so brazen to tell me if be better off in the wonderful world of fast food. I told my shop stewart and the union didnt do jack about it. NOTHING ! But they were right there to collect my 1000 bucks for initiation fee. After a while of this I came unglued on her ass. Ripped that woman to a bloody pulp and quit. Its a shame I had to quit that job. I made killer money but it wasnt worth the hassle. Eventually I found a better job, maade lots less money but i loved that job. The economy went sour and they had to go under.

I'm 100% behind unions, being an ex employee of CWA Local 1033. Maybe the reason some of you don't see the good they do is that the people before you did their jobs and you don't need to fight for what you're getting every day.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

hollywoodsaint Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtine View Post
    another reason i fucking hate walmart!

+1

Ken Guest
    Yes, and then they take your money and donate to whatever candidate "they" deem worthy, whether you want your money to go there or not.

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    The union never took up for me when I needed them most. Thats why I hate unions. Long ago I worked for a union run shop and hated it. I was harassed by my supervisor to no end. even going so far as to do my yearly review in spanish knowning I dont know spanish. She was always pushing me to quit, that id be better off at this place or that place over there. Even being so brazen to tell me if be better off in the wonderful world of fast food. I told my shop stewart and the union didnt do jack about it. NOTHING ! But they were right there to collect my 1000 bucks for initiation fee. After a while of this I came unglued on her ass. Ripped that woman to a bloody pulp and quit. Its a shame I had to quit that job. I made killer money but it wasnt worth the hassle. Eventually I found a better job, maade lots less money but i loved that job. The economy went sour and they had to go under.
    WTF? $1000 initiation fee? Never EVER have heard of that before! No wonder you have a gripe against unions. When my old man joined the machinist union in '79 it only cost him $13 a month! It's only 33 now! You were robbed IMHO. Plus, they should have filed a grievance for you about your boss! That's their JOB!

kandykisses Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonCandy View Post
    I'm 100% behind unions, being an ex employee of CWA Local 1033. Maybe the reason some of you don't see the good they do is that the people before you did their jobs and you don't need to fight for what you're getting every day.
    I agree with you as far as Unions go. Some do a lot of good and wages have not kept up with inflation and the gap between low income and middle class has closed and the gap between middle and high income is getting wider and wider. Unions do fight for better wages.

As far as WalMart goes I think Sam Walton was slime and did more damage to the Am worker than some of the sweat shop owners of the late 1800's early 1900's. I did a research paper on him and the effects he has had on Am workers. In retail till the early 80's standard benefits for f/t employees included 2 weeks vacay after a year of service, time and a half over 8 hours, for lots of different holidays, etc even sundays were paid time and a half. Insurance benefits were decent. Sam came in only paying 1 week vacay after a year, deleted certain holidays or time and half benefits and other things and dumb ass people went to work for him so other retailers followed suit. Their were other significant drops in employee benefits too I just can't remember everything. He was a greedy son of a b and his kids are worse and have turned Walmarts into trash heaps. I rarely shop there unless I am making a Midnight run for something.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Delivian View Post

Target has had their share of union issues as well ( I don't know if any are union though ), but one doesn't hear about Target issues manily because Wal-Mart is the chain people LOVE to hate even though there are number of other chains that have done a lot more to push their political agenda than what Wal-mart did. Kohls for example and of course the example I gave with Kroger.

Until last year I used to belong to a retail forum site. There was this one member whose name was "Fuckwalleyworld". Always slamming Wal-Mart for one reason or another. While some of this stuff made sense. Others did not...

"....Fucking Wal-Mart is why banking sucks today..screw them.." Hellooooo
    what about Wachovia? Chase? Wells Fargo? Key Bank? and the other "big boys" who for years bought out the little banks and made them part of their "super bank" ?? They have done more to hurt banking than Wal-mart ever could and besides I never heard of a Wal-Mart National Bank. I lived in Denver back in the 80s and when I came back last year..NOT ONE SINGLE BANK that was around in Denver ( a metro area of over 2 million )back in 1988 is around in 2008. Shocking..but not surprised.

"......so many local mom & pop drug stores...GONE...thank you fucking Wal-Mart !!!" Ok..what about CVS and Walgreens? My hometown lost eight small independent drug stores thanks to Walgreens alone by opening up their stroes near them, but I have yet to hear anyone say Walgreens "suck"?

Not a fan of Wal-Mart myself but sometimes I do think they get a bad rap on some things mainly because many people just can't accept the fact they some of the other chains are sadly shady and sneaky as Wal-mart is plus the fact that Wal-mart is such a big chain..its easier to bitch about them than bitch about a chain like Kohls, Walgreens, Sears or even Target.
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 08-01-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Kandykisses,

Everything you said about Wal-Mart are the reasons why their employees deserve, fuck that, frankly NEED a union. These are hard working Americans who should be paid based on what their company makes. They're the backbone of the Wal-Mart industry and they should be reaping the benefits as well.
    Minerva

RaRaRamona Guest
    No, that's not true. As I said every union business I have ever seen is full of lazy unmotivated people who are coasting by b/c they pay union dues. Just tonight a co worker was telling me about the steel workers unions putting all the other mills out of business b/c they wouldn't allow unions. This is exactly what they are trying to do to WalMart - they push endless propaganda at the public trying to force them into unionizing.

And again, I point that many more people apply for jobs at WM than they can supply. No one is forcing them to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Yes, and then they take your money and donate to whatever candidate "they" deem worthy, whether you want your money to go there or not.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by kandykisses View Post
    I agree with you as far as Unions go. Some do a lot of good and wages have not kept up with inflation and the gap between low income and middle class has closed and the gap between middle and high income is getting wider and wider. Unions do fight for better wages.

As far as WalMart goes I think Sam Walton was slime and did more damage to the Am worker than some of the sweat shop owners of the late 1800's early 1900's. I did a research paper on him and the effects he has had on Am workers. In retail till the early 80's standard benefits for f/t employees included 2 weeks vacay after a year of service, time and a half over 8 hours, for lots of different holidays, etc even sundays were paid time and a half. Insurance benefits were decent. Sam came in only paying 1 week vacay after a year, deleted certain holidays or time and half benefits and other things and dumb ass people went to work for him so other retailers followed suit. Their were other significant drops in employee benefits too I just can't remember everything. He was a greedy son of a b and his kids are worse and have turned Walmarts into trash heaps. I rarely shop there unless I am making a Midnight run for something.
    Sam Walton was a generous man & gave untold millions to charities. Whenever there is a need WM is the VERY first to stand up & give & give & give. They give so much to the communities where they have stores.

Target has had their share of union issues as well ( I don't know if any are union though ), but one doesn't hear about Target issues manily because Wal-Mart is the chain people LOVE to hate even though there are number of other chains that have done a lot more to push their political agenda than what Wal-mart did. Kohls for example and of course the example I gave with Kroger.

Until last year I used to belong to a retail forum site. There was this one member whose name was "walleyworld". Always slamming Wal-Mart for one reason or another. While some of this stuff made sense. Others did not...

"... Wal-Mart is why banking sucks today..screw them.." Hellooooo
    what about Wachovia? Chase? Wells Fargo? Key Bank? and the other "big boys" who for years bought out the little banks and made them part of their "super bank" ?? They have done more to hurt banking than Wal-mart ever could and besides I never heard of a Wal-Mart National Bank. I lived in Denver back in the 80s and when I came back last year..NOT ONE SINGLE BANK that was around in Denver ( a metro area of over 2 million )back in 1988 is around in 2008. Shocking..but not surprised.

"......so many local mom & pop drug stores...GONE...thank you fucking Wal-Mart !!!" Ok..what about CVS and Walgreens? My hometown lost eight small independent drug stores thanks to Walgreens alone by opening up their stroes near them, but I have yet to hear anyone say Walgreens "suck"?

Not a fan of Wal-Mart myself but sometimes I do think they get a bad rap on some things mainly because many people just can't accept the fact they some of the other chains are sadly shady and sneaky as Wal-mart is plus the fact that Wal-mart is such a big chain..its easier to bitch about them than bitch about a chain like Kohls, Walgreens, Sears or even Target.
    You're right about that - again, propaganda. It's sickening.

Tebssis Guest
    I'm an equal opportunity complainer. I hate all those stores too.

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    WTF? $1000 initiation fee? Never EVER have heard of that before! No wonder you have a gripe against unions. When my old man joined the machinist union in '79 it only cost him $13 a month! It's only 33 now! You were robbed IMHO. Plus, they should have filed a grievance for you about your boss! That's their JOB!
    Naturally they took a certain amount per check to pay off the Union. 1000 bucks is more then I paid for my first 5 cars combined. That was the iniation fee. Monthy dues were like 30 bucks a month. And I did file a greviance with my union. I told my shop stewart numerous times and they didnt do anything for me .... except take my money. That money may not seem like alot, but its still my money I paid for something that didnt benifit me. Therefore if I ever come across a Union job again, I will refuse to work if the shop is Union. The extra money isnt worth it.

On another note, the Cal-Trans workers here are under the union umbrella. Anytim you drive past a worksite on the freeways, youll see 8-10 highway workers. 8 guys standing around drinking coffee while one guy works his ass off. Why ? Because thoes guys have tenure meaning after a certain amount of time, maybe 10 years they will get retirement reguardless if they get canned or not. In fact thats why Arnold Schartzenneger has been trying to hammer out the contract with the Teachers Union here. Same deal, after 5 or 10 years the teachers have tenure and stop caring. Dosent matter, they get their full benifits so why bother , thats why theres so many screwed up teachers and therefore screw up kids. Almost makes me glad I dont have kids

darlingdawn Guest
    Kroger is having some political issues of their own right now, at least in Colorado anyway. Colorado is voting on "right to work" in November and Kroger is dead against it as they feel people who work for them should be forced to join their union no matter the position.

The big rumor out here is that if "right to work" passes then the chain will start closing up stores putting people out of work. My husband works for Safeway and he was telling me he that some of his friends who work for Kroger, even they admit that their chain is starting these rumors to scare people so Kroger can get what they want.

Kohls, Starbucks Coffee, Food Lion and I think even Target I have heard have been known to fire people right off the bat if they dare to even as much as mention "union" in their stores.
    I can attest to Food Lion. I worked for them for 8 years and they are dead set against unions.

mel306 Guest
    Staten Island fought to NOT have a Walmart here and we won. We have never regretted it.

They screw their employees over all the time, especially women. Unions may do some of the things they say but they would benefit employees even more.

The owners have too much money and really need to get over themselves.

Ridgecrest, CA-Middle of the Mojave Desert
    I totally agree! We have a wal mart here and they now want to demolish that one and put a SUPER Wal Mart there. The people voted HELLZ NO and won. My Dad wont even go in their parking lot because they are non-union and treat the employees like shit. I am uber pro-union, have been in several myself. Not all unions are there just to collect your dues, I was in the IBEW when I worked for verizon and that was a worthless union. I'm with Teamsters now (work for Disneyland part time) and they really fight for you. Disneyland in Anaheim is very pro union as well, they have about 5 different unions there for different sections of the park.

P.S. My Dad is CWA 9573
    Last edited by Cubican; 08-02-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    Staten Island fought to NOT have a Walmart here and we won. We have never regretted it.
    Actually there is a LOT of this stuff that has happened over the years in various places and not always Wal-mart either. Just seems whenever Wal-mart gets involved people talk.

The town of Berryville, Virginia for example has a population of about 6,000 people. Big enough to support a number of chains however the town has always said no. Berryville within the last 10 years has turned down McDonalds, Walgreens, CVS, Burger King, TGI Fridays, Kroger, Wells Fargo Bank and a bunch of other chains who wanted to open up there. And they still won't let anyone to build there unless the business is locally owned though recently they did allow a Subway shop to open up thanks to some loophole.

My hometown ( Winchester, VA ) back in the 90's refused to allow some certain chains from opening up there like Outback Steakhouse, Applebess, Olive Garden and Red Lobster but oddly they allowed just about everyone else like Kohls, Home Depot, Petsmart, Petco, Office Max, Staples, Lowes and Target to open up. Over the years I heard that McDonalds played a major role with that. However once Ruby Tuesday came to town in 1997 that "ban" went out the window.

Cathy J. Guest
    You're right about that - again, propaganda. It's sickening.
    It IS propaganda !! What gets me whenever I hear people bitch about Wal-mart, not only do they hate the store but many of them hate the people who work there too. That part I don't get at all !! Granted I haven't seen that on THIS site but on other sites I have.

My husband a few years back was friends with a guy who at the time was a manager of a Wal-mart. His family had some serious problems with that. Dealing with the anti-Wal mart crowd. Of course people do have the right to shop there or boycott the place and he would be the first to agree to that but some people hate Wal-mart so much that they go overboard. For example some parents wouldn't allow their kids to play with his kids because..."their father" ran a Wal-mart and how they hated unions !!!
    Even some of those kids' teachers in school ( the kids were 7 and 10 ), they often made snide comments about the store right in front of the class and in front of those kids like "...I bought this pen at K-mart because Wal-mart employees are trash" stuff like that. Thats a bit much !!

Hell my parents back in the 80s rented out porn flicks and the whole town knew it too and this was in the Bible belt !! I never took heat over what parents did for a living from my teachers or even our pastor. Yet those kids were subject to a lot of BS..all because their dad ran a Wal-mart. Go figure !!
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 08-02-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubican View Post
    I totally agree! We have a wal mart here and they now want to demolish that one and put a SUPER Wal Mart there. The people voted HELLZ NO and won. My Dad wont even go in their parking lot because they are non-union and treat the employees like shit. I am uber pro-union, have been in several myself. Not all unions are there just to collect your dues, I was in the IBEW when I worked for verizon and that was a worthless union. I'm with Teamsters now (work for Disneyland part time) and they really fight for you. Disneyland in Anaheim is very pro union as well, they have about 5 different unions there for different sections of the park.

P.S. My Dad is CWA 9573

Hello sister!!!! I worked for the Treasury Department when I first joined CWA Local 1033, and then was offered a job with them, so I left my job and worked for them full time. I busted my ass, learned a lot, drank a lot and hopefully did a lot of good for a lot of good people. Its been a LONG time, but I've still got my Union Jackets, hats, buttons, etc!!!
    Minerva

MorbidMolly Guest
    WM makes it money, quite simply, on it`s part time help.....people who think that if people don`t like it, why do they work there, should check the stats.....most are women who are over a certain age, and no one else will hire them....I worked their Pharmacy for 3 years and I saw both good and bad.....the plus, you had the option to buy stock ( loved it when that stuff split ).....on the other hand, most couldn`t afford to buy it.....plus- it`s a great part-time job if your husband or wife work elsewhere, not so hot if your raising a kid by yourself.......I had no problem with the benefits, but as I stated, I worked the Pharmacy.....most of my friends were not so lucky:

Wal-Mart's Health Care Eligibility is Restrictive

* Part-timers?anybody below 34 hours a week ? must wait 1 year before they can enroll. Moreover, spouses of part-time employees are ineligible for family health care coverage for 2006. [Wal-Mart Stores, "My Benefits, New Peak Time Benefits Making a Difference For You," 2006]
    * Full-time hourly employees must wait 180 days (approximately 6 months) before being able to enroll in Wal-Mart's health insurance plan. Managers have no waiting period. [Wal-Mart 2006 Associate Guide]
    * Nationally, the average wait time for new employees to become eligible is 1.7 months. For the retail industry it is 3.0 months. [Kaiser Family Foundation & Health Research and Educational Trust, 2005]

? In 2001, more than two-thirds of Wal-Mart?s hourly employees were female. Only one-third of all managers and less than 15% of store managers were women. In 2001, female managers at Wal-Mart on average earned $14,500 less than their male counterparts. Female hourly workers made on average $1,100 less than their male counterparts. (Wake-Up Wal-Mart)

This isn`t propaganda....it`s fact.....I personally never heard of anyone working off the clock, but the wages of women vs. men was very lopsided....hence my departure.....of course they offered me a raise, and I was like, no thanks......I feel very strongly that Sam Walton would be rolling in his grave if he knew half the things that have been implemented since his death......when Sam was alive ALL employees got their birthday off with pay......... things like that make you feel special, gives morale a boost....something sorely lacking in MOST companies now......when Sam was alive, there was general concern for employees, even if it meant compensating them in other ways.......most of the women in our store, started when Sam was alive, and quite frankly felt betrayed that they had given 20 years without a whole hell of a lot to show for it.....yes, they could have left, but they truly felt this was their family, and now their too old to get hired anywhere else.......Sam preached family and lived up to it.....those days are gone.....

InMyRoom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubican View Post
    I totally agree! We have a wal mart here and they now want to demolish that one and put a SUPER Wal Mart there.
    They aren't tearing it down, it will be leased and the new store will be north of the original...........and those are the facts

hoxharding Guest
    Kandykisses,

Everything you said about Wal-Mart are the reasons why their employees deserve, fuck that, frankly NEED a union. These are hard working Americans who should be paid based on what their company makes. They're the backbone of the Wal-Mart industry and they should be reaping the benefits as well.

Bijou is adorable!
    Also, I shop at Wal-Mart pretty much everyday and I can tell you they have alot of excellent workers there. You are most correct,they are the background of Wal-Mart.

Chunga Guest
    I don't see where, in recent years anyway, unions have done much for their members..
    Case in point:
    In 2004, I was living in Orlando and a sous chef at Universal Orlando. Universal is a non union park. Disney, however, WAS union.
    Disney employees really did not make that much more than we did, and we had the same perks/bennies. The one difference being that Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens employees were comped from park to park, as a hospitality. Disney refused to play nice and would not comp other parks' employees. OK, no biggie...
    When we had those 3 hurricanes come thru Orlando that summer, Universal was WONDERFUL to the employees! If we were scheduled to work and could not, we were paid anyway for the shift, no matter your status, Seasonal, Part-time or Full-time. If you did work to help close the park or re-open it, you were paid time and a half. You were fed free at the cafeterias, and they also set up ice trucks for those of us that had no power, water and food distribution. I had no power in the place I was living, and I had 2 small indoor dogs that I was afraid to leave in the home as the temps were almost 115 in the heat of the day inside...Universal let me bring my dogs to work with me and keep them in the air conditioned kennels for free while I worked.
    From what I heard, Disney employees did not fare so well. Unless you were Full-time, you did not get paid for time lost, you were penalized if you did not show up to work when needed, and I never heard of any aid to the victims that worked there.
    Within a month afterwards there was a large number of ex-Disney employees who were hired at Sea World, Wet n' Wild and Universal.

The union really was working hard for those guys, huh?
    If it were not for unions my misguided, misinformed friend, we would not have what we now call the weekend. No health care. no fair wages. One single incident does not indict an entire union. Give me a break. i have been in a union for over 20 years. My wages have increased, my hours have stayed the same, and the company loves the union. Skilled workers with good attitudes,guaranteed wages, paid vacations, severance pay, supplemental retirement, pension fund. Eye care, dental and job protection. If the boss doesn't like the way you part your hair, he can't fire you. Unions are working hard every day my friend.
    Last edited by Chunga; 08-03-2008 at 06:04 PM.

35. 08-03-2008, 06:11 PM

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
    If it were not for unions my misguided, misinformed friend, we would not have what we now call the weekend. No health care. no fair wages. One single incident does not indict an entire union. Give me a break. i have been in a union for over 20 years. My wages have increased, my hours have stayed the same, and the company loves the union. Skilled workers with good attitudes,guaranteed wages, paid vacations, severance pay, supplemental retirement, pension fund. Eye care, dental and job protection. If the boss doesn't like the way you part your hair, he can't fire you. Unions are working hard every day my friend.
    No, as usual it is you who are misguided. We no longer have any need for unions. their time has passed. It is true there was a dire need for worker representation 80 years ago but now all they care about is the bottom line, exactly like any other business. I have never worked anywhere that didn't offer what you just described - & I am including high school jobs in that statement.

Chunga Guest
    No, as usual it is you who are misguided. We no longer have any need for unions. their time has passed. It is true there was a dire need for worker representation 80 years ago but now all they care about is the bottom line, exactly like any other business. I have never worked anywhere that didn't offer what you just described - & I am including high school jobs in that statement.
    as the unions go, so will your benefits. There has to be checks and balances. you have never worked anywhere without those beni's thanks to unions. if unions go so will all those things.

RaRaRamona Guest
    as the unions go, so will your benefits. There has to be checks and balances. you have never worked anywhere without those beni's thanks to unions. if unions go so will all those things.
    No they won't. We now have laws that protect workers.

InMyRoom Guest
    And that is dead on a fact Chunga!

InMyRoom Guest
    No they won't. We now have laws that protect workers.
    And what laws are those IF I may ask?

Jazbabee Guest
    Wal Mart is full of self serving propaganda bullshit....don't drink the kool aid !!!

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    * Part-timers?anybody below 34 hours a week ? must wait 1 year before they can enroll. Moreover, spouses of part-time employees are ineligible for family health care coverage for 2006. [Wal-Mart Stores, "My Benefits, New Peak Time Benefits Making a Difference For You," 2006]
    * Full-time hourly employees must wait 180 days (approximately 6 months) before being able to enroll in Wal-Mart's health insurance plan. Managers have no waiting period. [Wal-Mart 2006 Associate Guide]
    Actually that is about the same as Kohls.

However the difference between Kohls and Wal-mart besides the latter being far bigger, Kohls sometimes get a bit bugged if anyone says anything bad about them. The retail site I used to belong, I can remember twice someone from that chain DEMANDED we stopped talking about Kohls and "requested" messages be deleted and stuff ( the site never did BTW ). Its like Kohls cant accept there are actually some people who don't like Kohls. Oh well !!

But back to benefits..I guess its better to have poor benefits than none at all. I have had many jobs in the past where part time employees don't get anything...not even invited to the company Christmas party much less insurance...just that paycheck and thats it. Could be worse.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InMyRoom View Post
    And what laws are those IF I may ask?

....are you serious? You mean like OSHA & discrimination laws? Child labor laws & tax laws & medical leave laws? Civil rights & compensation?

Were you trying to be snooty by capitalizing "if"? B/c IF so it didn't work.

InMyRoom Guest
    ....are you serious? You mean like OSHA & discrimination laws? Child labor laws & tax laws & medical leave laws? Civil rights & compensation?

I think you've missed the point, but whatever.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InMyRoom View Post
    I think you've missed the point, but whatever.
    No, I think you did. Most of those laws came about from lawsuits not union interference. I have said repeatedly that unions served a purpose but that time is passed.

Tebssis Guest
    No, I think you did. Most of those laws came about from lawsuits not union interference. I have said repeatedly that unions served a purpose but that time is passed.
    Dear, sweet RaRa, always the idealist. Thinking that governmental agencies work like they're suppose to.....I admire your spunk.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    Dear, sweet RaRa, always the idealist. Thinking that governmental agencies work like they're suppose to.....I admire your spunk.
    Pffft of course they don't. I don't live in a vacuum. But I do know when people are being taken advantage of & that I can choose to not be a part of it.

Tebssis Guest
    That's why I said I admire your spunk! As well as your passion for things.

Chunga Guest

this is pretzel logic arguments. WHY DO YOU THINK THER ARE CHILD LABOR LAWS. WHY DO YOU THINK THERE ARE OSHA, DISCRIMINATION, MEDICAL LEAVE AND ALL THE OTHER THINGS YOU SPEAK OF. oh. i must have had caps lock on.

WendyK Guest
    Well..the only thing about the Union in my town is all they ever do is picket! I sware they have nothing better to do! Our small little town can't even improve itself because everytime a buisness owner tries to improve anything the Union pickets..I don't think the Union realizes these small buisness owners can not afford their high prices.So, our town remains unchanged and is falling appart..truely sad..

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    Well..the only thing about the Union in my town is all they ever do is picket! I sware they have nothing better to do! Our small little town can't even improve itself because everytime a buisness owner tries to improve anything the Union pickets..I don't think the Union realizes these small buisness owners can not afford their high prices.So, our town remains unchanged and is falling appart..truely sad..
    They do realize it - what do you think they are doing it for?