Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weirdness of WalMart

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    They do realize it - what do you think they are doing it for?

They have nothing better to do??

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    They have nothing better to do??
    A lot of times they want to put certain businesses out of business. It's their way or the highway.

WendyK Guest
    Here's where I but heads with the Union.. My boss affectionatley know as Crap Fart CF for short, bought a building on Main Street and it needed a new back wall. Well! He hired a Non Union brick layer to do the work " because he was 10 grand cheaper" So, what did they do? Picketed the car dealership that I work for that he owns! They had people call and harass me...I finally started hanging the phone up.Whateva Dude!

Seriously that's all they do is picket, harass and strong arm around here!

Chunga Guest
    Well..the only thing about the Union in my town is all they ever do is picket! I sware they have nothing better to do! Our small little town can't even improve itself because everytime a buisness owner tries to improve anything the Union pickets..I don't think the Union realizes these small buisness owners can not afford their high prices.So, our town remains unchanged and is falling appart..truely sad..
    this is not the fault of the unions. you need to dig much deeper than that to find the reasons your town is falling apart

lisalouver Guest
    I refuse to shop at Walmart.

Never have and never will. Last year, my daughter wanted something for Christmas that I only found at Walmart. I scoured the internet until I found it at another store!

InMyRoom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I refuse to shop at Walmart.

Never have and never will. Last year, my daughter wanted something for Christmas that I only found at Walmart. I scoured the internet until I found it at another store!
    I don't think Wal*Mart stocks will go down in value because you don't purchase there

MorbidMolly Guest
    .........haaaaaaaa

pattykad Guest
    I don't shop Walmart either. Sometimes you just have to take a stand.
    Plus it's so trashy, I don't know why anyone wants to.

By the way, Walmart recently lost a huge lawsuit up here. Power
    to the people!

AP) A Minnesota judge ruled that Wal-Mart cut short employees' rest and meal breaks and forced them to work off the clock, violating the state's labor laws 2 million times.

The judge's order in the class-action lawsuit against the discount retailer awards the plaintiffs $6.5 million in compensatory damages.

An attorney for the plaintiffs expects Wal-Mart will pay much more than that after a jury in October considers a civil penalties and punitive damages.

Justin Perl, who represented the plaintiffs, says Dakota County Judge Robert King Jr.'s ruling sends a message to Wal-Mart that the company must pay for its mistakes.

The ruling, which was handed to the parties Monday evening, comes after similar judgments against Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania and California. Wal-Mart is appealing those rulings.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InMyRoom View Post
    I don't think Wal*Mart stocks will go down in value because you don't purchase there
    Really? Wow, because that was my exact reason for not shopping there!

Shit, now what?

Should I start shopping there now? Nah, I'm still not white trash enough.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pattykad View Post

By the way, Walmart recently lost a huge lawsuit up here. Power
    to the people!

AP) A Minnesota judge ruled that Wal-Mart cut short employees' rest and meal breaks and forced them to work off the clock, violating the state's labor laws 2 million times.

The judge's order in the class-action lawsuit against the discount retailer awards the plaintiffs $6.5 million in compensatory damages.

An attorney for the plaintiffs expects Wal-Mart will pay much more than that after a jury in October considers a civil penalties and punitive damages.

Justin Perl, who represented the plaintiffs, says Dakota County Judge Robert King Jr.'s ruling sends a message to Wal-Mart that the company must pay for its mistakes.

The ruling, which was handed to the parties Monday evening, comes after similar judgments against Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania and California. Wal-Mart is appealing those rulings.
    My brother was a part of this!

But are the people who work for Walmart trashy as well? I know..stupid question but our local morning radio disc jockey hates Walmart so much he often calls the people who work for Walmart on the air "retarded trash". My brother actually agrees with him !! He says if one hates a store then you have to hate the people who work there too. I don't understand his bit of logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    As much as I detest wal mart, I friggin hate that store , hiring illegals and such. I dont think they have any business trying to influence peoples votes. But I hate unions and am completely against them. All unions have ever done for me is take my money and left me high and dry
    ... hmm
    My sister is the jewelry department manager at our local Wal Mart. First of all, she says that most of what you hear about Wally world is bullshit. Second, she says they work hard but their benefits are awesome. Third, if they hire someone and that person turns out to be illegal, they get fired. Four, I'm with Aries, I don't care about politics. I shop where I want and yes I do shop at Wally's. I'd shop at DipShit mart if their toilet paper and paper towels were cheaper than other places.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-10-2008 at 07:31 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    But are the people who work for Walmart trashy as well? I know..stupid question but our local morning radio disc jockey hates Walmart so much he often calls the people who work for Walmart on the air "retarded trash". My brother actually agrees with him !! He says if one hates a store then you have to hate the people who work there too. I don't understand his bit of logic.
    I dunno.

My brother works for Sam's Club (he's in college and will be graduating in December) and he's not trashy, certainly the amount of dough he has put into his education leaves him out of the trashy part!

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
    this is not the fault of the unions. you need to dig much deeper than that to find the reasons your town is falling apart

Well then why do they picket? Why don't they let our town flourish? It's like they get off on Fucking the little guy...Just saying.

WendyK Guest
    They EVEN picketed a PRIVATE homeowner! All he was doing was laying asphalt in his driveway! They are like an occult around here!

pattykad Guest
    I didn't say Sam's....I said Walmart. Sam's was decent but I don't
    shop there anymore either.

According to the judge in these lawsuits, it's not bullshit.

lisalouver Guest
    I didn't say Sam's....I said Walmart. Sam's was decent but I don't
    shop there anymore either.

According to the judge in these lawsuits, it's not bullshit.
    I don't shop at Sam's either. But since my brother works there, I support him, not the company. When he graduates in Dec, he will be leaving it.

As someone far superior in intelligence than myself pointed out, Wal-Mart's stock is not dropping because I don't shop there.

WendyK Guest
    I was told by an EX- boyfriends dad not to shop at Wal-FART and still did... Diapers were $2 bucks cheaper the at K-Mart..You buy what you can afford..

lisalouver Guest
    I was told by an EX- boyfriends dad not to shop at Wal-FART and still did... Diapers were $2 bucks cheaper the at K-Mart..You buy what you can afford..
    K-Mart actually is high on a lot of things. I have a very hard time understanding how they are still in business. I know Sears bought them, but there is one right by each of the two Targets that I shop at and I will tell you what, every time I drive by, there are no more than five cars there!

There's no need to invalidate other people's opinions with words like "misguided" folks (regardless of who used it first). Everyone has a right to their opinion here and no one should belittle anyone else for not having the same opinion.

On another subject, I don't shop at Walmart ever since I read The Walmart Effect. (I posted about that around here somewhere).

I don't agree with their business practices or the decisions they make overall at the upper-management level and above.

I don't dislike any of the people working there and won't change my mind on that whether they go union or not.

Tebssis Guest
    They EVEN picketed a PRIVATE homeowner! All he was doing was laying asphalt in his driveway! They are like an occult around here!
    That does sound a little off the wall! Never heard of a Union even thinking of bothering a private citizen! Maybe that union is a cult and they're just using the union as a cover.

Don't Buy WalMart Pre-paid Visa!

Fellow hags, this has been a nightmare and I want to warn people before they're subjected to this inane bullshit.
    About a month ago, while standing in line, I noticed a WalMart (their name brand) on a pre-paid Visa card. It came in $25 and $50. I purchased the $50 card for online buying, reasoning that I've never had a moment's trouble with WalMart.
    Big mistake! I registered the card and filled in my name, address, etc. I couldn't make a purchase. When I went online, I was directed via some extremely small print, to a phone number. They charge $.50 every time you communicate with a live person instead of the automated system.
    The guy told me since I entered my address, it had to be verified. I verified it on the phone. Then I was informed that I couldn't use my card for another three weeks because I'd added new information.
    Wait, it gets better. Fast-forward to three weeks later. I'm making online purchases, one is successful. I have to wait for verification that took four days. After that, I tried to purchase items from WalMart online. They refused the card. Not due to lack of funds.
    WalMart won't accept their own cards! This isn't a joke. The website explained that WalMart doesn't accept that type of debit card. They offer the freakin' thing for sale in their stores, but you can't buy anything in the store with it!
    After that, I'd had it. I was given the run-around by a snotty woman who barely spoke English. She told me to e-mail the company at the walmartgiftcard.com website. I wrote the message, stating that I wanted to liquidate the card.
    I tried to return the card to the store to liquidate it, but the manager said that the store doesn't handle gift card disputes. WTF?
    Finally this evening, I got conformation in yet another telephone conversation that I will receive a check from WalMart for the remainder of the card. There was a final catch. It costs $5 to liquidate a WalMart debit card.!
    May this never happen to another Death Hag.

trose Guest
    They don't accept their own cards?

Thanks for the heads up! That would SOOO piss me off! Sorry it happened to you, though.

Tami

deathybrad Guest
    WOW.

Lout_Rampage Guest
    That's fucking crazy.

My_Smiling_Skull Guest
    Holy CHIT :O

I'd be calling the head office in Bentonville over that it's total BS!

Quote Originally Posted by My_Smiling_Skull View Post
    Holy CHIT :O

I'd be calling the head office in Bentonville over that it's total BS!
    Good idea, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trose View Post
    They don't accept their own cards?

Thanks for the heads up! That would SOOO piss me off! Sorry it happened to you, though.

Tami
    Yep, it's true. WalMart won't accept their own debit cards. Thanks, it was beyond frustrating.

redkatrampant Guest
    Alanwench, you need to send your story to these guys:
    http://consumerist.com/

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Fellow hags, this has been a nightmare and I want to warn people before they're subjected to this inane bullshit.
    About a month ago, while standing in line, I noticed a WalMart (their name brand) on a pre-paid Visa card. It came in $25 and $50. I purchased the $50 card for online buying, reasoning that I've never had a moment's trouble with WalMart.
    Big mistake! I registered the card and filled in my name, address, etc. I couldn't make a purchase. When I went online, I was directed via some extremely small print, to a phone number. They charge $.50 every time you communicate with a live person instead of the automated system.
    The guy told me since I entered my address, it had to be verified. I verified it on the phone. Then I was informed that I couldn't use my card for another three weeks because I'd added new information.
    Wait, it gets better. Fast-forward to three weeks later. I'm making online purchases, one is successful. I have to wait for verification that took four days. After that, I tried to purchase items from WalMart online. They refused the card. Not due to lack of funds.
    WalMart won't accept their own cards! This isn't a joke. The website explained that WalMart doesn't accept that type of debit card. They offer the freakin' thing for sale in their stores, but you can't buy anything in the store with it!
    After that, I'd had it. I was given the run-around by a snotty woman who barely spoke English. She told me to e-mail the company at the walmartgiftcard.com website. I wrote the message, stating that I wanted to liquidate the card.
    I tried to return the card to the store to liquidate it, but the manager said that the store doesn't handle gift card disputes. WTF?
    Finally this evening, I got conformation in yet another telephone conversation that I will receive a check from WalMart for the remainder of the card. There was a final catch. It costs $5 to liquidate a WalMart debit card.!
    I would call my local TV news consumer advocate to see if there is anything that can be done on your behalf!

gemini33 Guest
    Sorry Alan, but I learned Walmart won't except their own cards over 3 years ago. Walmart is awful! They come in small towns with their low prices and crap, force the small town markets to go out of business, then jack their prices and treat their customers like crap. Oh well.

rickenbacker Guest
    Man, I wish I could afford to drive to another city and avoid Wal-Mart. I try to shop local if I can (meaning local alternatives to Wal-Mart). Sadly, they've driven most of them out.

ozzysmom Guest
    Thanks for the heads up, I was going to get a few of those cards as gifts for people this year.

Chunga Guest
    "Save money. Live Better." Wal-Mart sucks. Everything in that store is made in China. It may save money, but it loses jobs for Americans. They spout that live better crap. Meanwhile they force overtime on employees and pay them straight time. Withhold or make their employees pay for their own health care by keeping them at 30 hours a week. Pay women less for the same jobs. Hire illegal aliens. Promote an anti-union agenda to their employees.
    In an instance in Madison, Ohio, a Wal-Mart came into the community even though the people didn't want it. Protested at city hall. Protested as the non-union construction workers built the place, and continue to protest to this day. The people that live on the same street as the Wal-Mart had there well water supply destroyerd by these ingrates and were then handed the bill to upgrade the sewer and water lines. Sprawl-Mart was taken to court by a number of residence on the street and offered to help with costs only after ordered to do so by the courts.

STORMIE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    Man, I wish I could afford to drive to another city and avoid Wal-Mart. I try to shop local if I can (meaning local alternatives to Wal-Mart). Sadly, they've driven most of them out.
    I try to do the same thing here but Walmart has forced almost everyone out and the ones who have been able to stay in business have had to raise their prices to try to stay open. Walmart will be the end of America!

Chevyheaven Guest
    I say we get a bunch of us menfolk and go blow it up!! Whos in??

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    WOOHOO! Pick me! I'm ready!

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    There needs to be some sort of protest in this country over corporate douche bags like these. Just think of it. Gas prices will go up just in time for the holidays. And we just sit back and take it. Maybe we could throw a shoe at Waltons kids or something.

Nerak Guest
    wow. that is just nuts...another good reason for me to stay the hell out of Walmart.

Anyone familiar with the South Park episode in which a Wal Mart "takes over" the town and the boys have to find a way to destroy it? Spot on commentary, that was.

Screwtape Guest
    "Save money. Live Better." Wal-Mart sucks. Everything in that store is made in China. It may save money, but it loses jobs for Americans. They spout that live better crap. Meanwhile they force overtime on employees and pay them straight time. Withhold or make their employees pay for their own health care by keeping them at 30 hours a week. Pay women less for the same jobs. Hire illegal aliens. Promote an anti-union agenda to their employees.
    In an instance in Madison, Ohio, a Wal-Mart came into the community even though the people didn't want it. Protested at city hall. Protested as the non-union construction workers built the place, and continue to protest to this day. The people that live on the same street as the Wal-Mart had there well water supply destroyerd by these ingrates and were then handed the bill to upgrade the sewer and water lines. Sprawl-Mart was taken to court by a number of residence on the street and offered to help with costs only after ordered to do so by the courts.

And I bet it's packed every single day, often by protesters who need some cheap poster board for signage. I'm such a cynic.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNotherOne View Post
    Anyone familiar with the South Park episode in which a Wal Mart "takes over" the town and the boys have to find a way to destroy it? Spot on commentary, that was.
    And the guy hanged himself and shit everywhere. Good times.

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    How completely odd

Thanks for posting this story. Chances are that it isn't even a 'Wal-Mart' gift card but some third-party card that paid Wal-Mart to put their name on it. I wonder what bank it is through? Does it say anywhere on the card??

I have received 'Simon Mall' pre-paid visas in the past and for the most part love them, but I have run into a couple stores that will not accept them because they take too long to pay their merchants. Not sure what bank it goes through but I guess they're not the best

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNotherOne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    And I bet it's packed every single day, often by protesters who need some cheap poster board for signage. I'm such a cynic.
    Very familiar with that South Park episode. Titled "Something Wal-Mart This Way Comes." Funny shit! Not like the post that followed yours.

Lotusflower Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Omg... I am so sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation with the card. Good of you to warn people about it. As I live in Norway, we don't have WalMart, but I have been to plenty of their stores when visiting the US. I will certainly think twice about going back if this is their way of treating their customers

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I was going to get a few of those cards as gifts for people this year.
    You can get gift cards... They work.

Ummm, so where are you supposed to be able to use the card?

Quote Originally Posted by Curl_up_N_dye View Post
    How completely odd

Thanks for posting this story. Chances are that it isn't even a 'Wal-Mart' gift card but some third-party card that paid Wal-Mart to put their name on it. I wonder what bank it is through? Does it say anywhere on the card??

I have received 'Simon Mall' pre-paid visas in the past and for the most part love them, but I have run into a couple stores that will not accept them because they take too long to pay their merchants. Not sure what bank it goes through but I guess they're not the best
    I just looked on the card and discovered that it says it's "issued by GE Money Bank pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A., Inc."

Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    You can get gift cards... They work.

Ummm, so where are you supposed to be able to use the card?
    That's a question that would baffle the Riddler. I used it for one purchase at Bath and Body Works online. Since it took all that time to authorize, they refused it for further purchases.

xenaswolf Guest
    Glad you told us about this...I was gonna buy one for my daughter for christmas.

There needs to be some sort of protest in this country over corporate douche bags like these. Just think of it. Gas prices will go up just in time for the holidays. And we just sit back and take it. Maybe we could throw a shoe at Waltons kids or something.
    ITA, this has gone on long enough.