Thread: Bill Hayward

Patience54 Guest

Bill Hayward

AP

"The associate producer of "Easy Rider," has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 66. The LA county coroner's office said he shot himself in the heart with a handgun on March 9 in Castaic. The suicide occurred in the trailer where he was living. Hayward was the son of agent Leland Hayward and actress Margaret Sullavan, all part of a Hollywood family whose talent and beauty was often outshone by its demons. Sullavan and her daughter Bridget Hayward both died of drug overdoses in 1960."

More Cheese Please Guest
    Margaret Sullavan was also married to Henry Fonda and William Wyler. Her daughter, Brooke Hayward, used to be married to Dennis Hopper. She wrote a book called "Haywire" and it was made into a TV movie with Lee Remick.

Bridget Fonda, Peter's daughter, was also named after Leland Hayward and Margaret Sullavan's daughter Bridget... who committed suicide. Peter was once in love with Bridget Hayward.

The Fonda, Hopper, Hayward links start with Mama Margaret and Hank Fonda and filter down through the sons and daughters.

janel Guest
    Haywire is a great read. I'd recommend it to all of you.

Noelle Page Guest
    ....and Henry Fonda's first? wife---Jane's mother---also committed suicide. A very troubled family.

Elizabeth Guest

"Haywire"

One of the best autobiographies I have ever read....about a family who just happened to be famous and troubled....highly recommended if you can find it....

Sad about Hayward, I remember when it happened. When it concerns suicide, you have to wonder what it was that made them lose all hope and decide that death was the only solution. Terminal illness? Too old to find work? I just don't know...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Saveria Guest
    Bill had spent a good part of his youth in mental facilities as chronicled in Haywire but it doesn't seem like that was the best course of action in the eyes of his sister Brooke. I think she blamed her parents for a lot of his troubles. I hope Bill is finally at peace & is reunited with his sister, mother & father.