Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920 LastLast

Thread: Freddie Mercury

Damn! 68 years old? I cant imagine him as an elderly gentleman.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Wow, Happy Birthday to one of the greatest performers ever!

Benion Guest
    I do not consider many stars to be actual "musical geniuses" but Freddie was one of them.

Live at the Rainbow '74 is out and it's F@%king Awesome! if you are a true Queen fan you will def appreciate it, been listening for the past week now

They only had 3 albums out at the time and it's pre-Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You/Champions, etc... but it's the first official release of an early live show in their career and displays their progressive rock beginnings before they became the multi-layered/melodic band the world knows them as today.
    Last edited by Jason; 09-15-2014 at 07:27 AM.

I can't wait till November to buy this..
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Oh man me too, Jerry

The MJ duet is pretty shitty, they took demo vocals of MJ where he was basically learning the song and blended it with Mercury's vocal track from his 1985 solo album (Mr. Bad Guy). So MJ just sounds weak and uncertain in his performance. The two also messed around with "State of shock" but MJ brought in Mick Jagger to do the actual recording because Mercury wasn't available anymore. The new Queen track (demo material from the Works era - 1984) is pretty cool though (the highlight of this compilation).

The compilation itself (Queen Forever) isn't about their hits, rather their musical development. A lot of unknown album tracks on there, which is kind of cool for people not that familiar with their body of work.
    Last edited by Jason; 10-03-2014 at 12:37 PM.

The NYC Marathon is being dedicated to Freddie. Wow. What would Freddie Say?

http://www.mercuryphoenixtrust.com/s...0Freddie_11134

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    The NYC Marathon is being dedicated to Freddie. Wow. What would Freddie Say?

http://www.mercuryphoenixtrust.com/s...0Freddie_11134
    He would say "We are the Champions"...........haha..........ok anyway............LOVE LOVE LOVE Freddie. Thanks so much for sharing!

That's it FADAddict! However I think I screwed up and the headline is misleading. I think it's just one blogger, but soon someone is running this for Freddie. Awesome! I've gotten in to running over the last few months and I'd love to be there! Especially if Freddie is remembered in some way.

That's it FADAddict! However I think I screwed up and the headline is misleading. I think it's just one blogger, but soon someone is running this for Freddie. Awesome! I've gotten in to running over the last few months and I'd love to be there! Especially if Freddie is remembered in some way.
    Well my lazy butt does not like to run but for Freddie, I would do it. Elvis is hands down my worst obsession. Freddie is a close 2nd. He was so amazing in so many ways. What a huge loss for the music world. Queen was and is "the shiznit"!!!!!!!! I love the band and can't get enough of them.

Introvert Guest
    Agree with you Jason. "There Must Be More To Life Than This" is a sweet little song, Freddie's solo version is great, as is Michael's demo when making allowances for the fact that's it's not a finished piece of music then. The fan mix of them both singing is actually very well done. This new William Orbit release though, it's too heavy, they've autotuned two people who absolutely never needed that monstrosity, and there's a bit too much Queen really, I love Queen to bits but it feels they're trying to make up for the fact that they were never involved in the original song so they've just thrown Brian and a Roger in where it's not entirely necessary.

The Queen remake of Freddie and Giorgio Moroder's "Love Kills" is also very good, but push comes to shove I think I prefer the original. The other track' "Let Me In Your Heart Again", though, that came from nowhere and absolutely blew me away. That voice! It felt like Freddie was alive again for the four minutes duration! They also released an Orbit version of that track though, and again I'm not a fan. Interesting, Brian and Roger expressed subtle disapproval themselves when the tracks were debuted on British radio, the suggestion from some is that Orbit's involvement was a demand of the Michael Jackson estate, certainly history supports the notion Queen overwhelmingly prefer producing themselves.

On a final note, I met Brian May a few weeks ago at a signing and managed to congratulate him personally for LMIYHA. Wonderful track as good as anything they've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Introvert View Post
    Agree with you Jason. "There Must Be More To Life Than This" is a sweet little song, Freddie's solo version is great, as is Michael's demo when making allowances for the fact that's it's not a finished piece of music then. The fan mix of them both singing is actually very well done. This new William Orbit release though, it's too heavy, they've autotuned two people who absolutely never needed that monstrosity, and there's a bit too much Queen really, I love Queen to bits but it feels they're trying to make up for the fact that they were never involved in the original song so they've just thrown Brian and a Roger in where it's not entirely necessary.

The Queen remake of Freddie and Giorgio Moroder's "Love Kills" is also very good, but push comes to shove I think I prefer the original. The other track' "Let Me In Your Heart Again", though, that came from nowhere and absolutely blew me away. That voice! It felt like Freddie was alive again for the four minutes duration! They also released an Orbit version of that track though, and again I'm not a fan. Interesting, Brian and Roger expressed subtle disapproval themselves when the tracks were debuted on British radio, the suggestion from some is that Orbit's involvement was a demand of the Michael Jackson estate, certainly history supports the notion Queen overwhelmingly prefer producing themselves.

On a final note, I met Brian May a few weeks ago at a signing and managed to congratulate him personally for LMIYHA. Wonderful track as good as anything they've done.
    Love your avatar! Also, the fact that you posted about Elvis makes you cool!!! Welcome to the forum.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    So I heard a rumor that Freddie Mercury was gay. Is that true? Not that it matters. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    So I heard a rumor that Freddie Mercury was gay. Is that true? Not that it matters. Just curious.

Lol!! The coolest gay man to ever grace the stage. Hands down!! Funny ass pic btw.

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Lol!! The coolest gay man to ever grace the stage. Hands down!! Funny ass pic btw.
    lol So... you're saying he was gay? ...... "by the way this character i'm playing here is named, 'Guy With Worst Gaydar In The History Of The World'".

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    lol So... you're saying he was gay? ...... "by the way this character i'm playing here is named, 'Guy With Worst Gaydar In The History Of The World'".
    Maybe..................maybe not.

Freddie was not gay, he was bisexual.

I also fail to see the connection between his sexual preferences and his musical genius.

I love the duet of him and MJ. I'd give my right arm to hear him perform together with Elvis though...
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by jerryvr View Post
    Freddie was not gay, he was bisexual.

I also fail to see the connection between his sexual preferences and his musical genius.

I love the duet of him and MJ. I'd give my right arm to hear him perform together with Elvis though...
    The last line is the relevant bit

FloraKitty35 Guest
    I have nothing against the stuff they did in the 80's. Queen was always an excellent band, but I love Live at the Rainbow '74. I especially liked hear both versions of In the Lap of the Gods.

It has been confirmed that Sacha Baron Cohen will play Freddie Mercury in a Queen biopic.
    The British actor - famous for his controversial roles as Ali G, Borat and Bruno - will also produce, write and direct the film, according to the band's manager Jim Beach.
    Beach announced the news on Thursday night at the Artist & Management Awards at London's Troxy.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz3VhWyXwHJ
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

They must have made their differences as SBC had been fired a few years ago from this project. When's it's going to come out?

They must have made their differences as SBC had been fired a few years ago from this project. When's it's going to come out?
    It's not... they were making a "small joke" said Brian May:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...mall-joke.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Meli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Meli View Post

I stumbled across this video recently. I had never heard this song and fell instantly in love with it. If you look at the lyrics, this song was obviously written for Freddie. First time I listened to it, I bawled like a baby. RIP Freddie we miss you!

I picked this song to be played at my brothers funeral last year.

Happy Birthday in heaven Freddie!! He'd be 69 today. I always wondered how much more beautiful music he'd be writing had he lived

gottaqhfilly Guest
    Happy Birthday Freddie! We still love you!

Jerry, this is absolutely FANTASTIC!!! Just lovely... thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Great find! I saw them in Detroit last July with Adam Lambert. Great show! I'm a lifelong Queen fan and I wish I could have seen them when Freddie was alive but let me tell you, Freddie would so approve of Adam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

24 years without you, Freddie on the 24th. May you be rockin' the place with your beautiful voice, and kicking Jim Hutton's being for revealing the intimate details of your last days for a quick buck. May he never RIP for doing such a thing.

You still rock Freddie!

The music world has never been the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gottaqhfilly Guest
    We still love you Freddie!

Rumor has it that Freddie was gay....??????.............

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Freddie preferred the gay life style, although it's well documented that he had romantic relationships with women, and left his estate to a close female companion.
    Regarding the video, I think it's pretty well established that Brian May is a genius, but each member of Queen brought something powerful to the mix and function of the band. I doubt there will ever be another front man and entertainer like Freddy Mercury. He was a genius in his own right as well, with genius only capped by talent.
    Obviously, whatever his sexual preferences were as they oscillated, his three band mates both loved and respected him.
    Gone but not to be forgotten.

So I was at the gym today and a song came on.

Dang - that's Freddie Mercury, I thought to myself.
    I kept on with what I was doing and moments later the lead guitar started wailing and I thought, Yeah - that's Queen, but I've never heard that song before.

I finished with the machine I was on and made it to one of the TV's just before the song ended - I wanted to see the name of the song.

I caught a glimpse of the flamboyantly dressed singer strutting around from a distance and thought, yeah, that's Freddie.
    Then I saw the rest of the band - it wasn't Queen or Freddie.

I'm sure some of you guys know of this band - they're new to me though.

The singer is no Freddie (he was the best male vocalist ever, IMO); but these guys are good.

They're called, "Strut":

https://youtu.be/yFnQu0kmCuY
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Wow! Talk about heavily influenced by Queen! I'll have to check this out some more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah - they're pretty solid, IMO.
    I watched a vid the other night of Luke Spiller (Strut vocalist) doing "Under Pressure" with The Foo Fighters (another favorite band).

They came up a big tad short of Freddie\Bowie, but those were some very big shoes to try to step into in the first place.
    Luke doesn't have Freddie's range and style; but no one else does either.

Here's another one:
    https://youtu.be/ARhk9K_mviE?t=1m22s
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

When will the story of his life come out?

Seems like for many years this person or that person
    is going to play him in a movie.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 01-06-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Freddie was a legend, they don't make them any better than him. What a loss of talent, I wonder what else he would have given to the world if he hadn't gone so young. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    When will the story of his life come out?

Seems like for many years this person or that person
    Oh, wow! I was rereading some of these posts and it doesn't appear as if they are any closer to getting that biopic completed.

The band "Struts" seems pretty solid. You're right, he's no Freddie but maybe within time they will make their mark in the music world.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    When will the story of his life come out? Seems like for many years this person or that person
    It's coming out November 2 with Rami Malek (Mr Robot) as Freddie. From the trailer it looks as if they are going to have him mime to Queen songs rather than do the vocals himself. He actually does look a bit like him in my opinion. The film was started last year but with the #metoo thing coming out, the director Bryan Singer was dropped as there have been stories for years about him and young guys. A new guy took over and filming resumed.

The trailer is on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S9c5nnDd_s

Oh, wow! I was rereading some of these posts and it doesn't appear as if they are any closer to getting that biopic completed.
    Do you mean Bohemian Rhapsody? It's coming out in November.

It stars the guy from the series Mr. Robot, Rami Malek, looks quite a bit like Freddie...sometimes.

I can see Rami in the part more than Sacha Baron Cohen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7X6le5qmE
    Last edited by TheWrath of MadelineKahn; 06-16-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post

It stars the guy from the series Mr. Robot, Rami Malek, looks quite a bit like Freddie...sometimes.

I posted some pics from the set last night but for some reason I was told a mod had to check it before it went up. As far as I'm aware it wasn't against the rules as it was just the link to the trailer on YT and the pics but I guess I'll find out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    I posted some pics from the set last night but for some reason I was told a mod had to check it before it went up. As far as I'm aware it wasn't against the rules as it was just the link to the trailer on YT and the pics but I guess I'll find out eventually.
    I saw that on the mod queue. We are experiencing software malfunctions. I sent Mister Josh a PM. He will approve those posts as soon as he can.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I saw that on the mod queue. We are experiencing software malfunctions. I sent Mister Josh a PM. He will approve those posts as soon as he can.
    Thanks. I just thought because it was taking a while that I had put something in that I wasn't supposed to. Glad I didn't.

I have always felt that, had he lived, he would have written more music for operas of his own design.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post

Sacha Baron Cohen left when Brian May thought the
    death of Freddie Mercury should just be in the middle
    of the film.(not the end of the movie)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Last edited by pkstracy; 07-24-2018 at 10:08 PM.