Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Saints Day/All Souls Day/Day of the Dead

magblax Guest

All Saints Day/All Souls Day/Day of the Dead

I absolutly love this Holiday!!! Even more than Halloween. A three day celebration happily honoring the dead. The alters are really interesting and beautiful (I'm thinking of making one this year). Here is a general link on the "How To" for an alter http://diadelosmuertos.us/article/di...muertos-altars . This year the Holiday falls the first three days of November. Alters are made for loved ones, pets, favorite celebrities or icons that have passed...I have even seen ones that make political statements (ex-global warming).

attackatdawn Guest
    That is interesting, never heard of it before.

My Dia de los Muertos tat

Oh, very cool tat there Jefe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    I absolutly love this Holiday!!! Even more than Halloween. A three day celebration happily honoring the dead. The alters are really interesting and beautiful (I'm thinking of making one this year). Here is a general link on the "How To" for an alter http://diadelosmuertos.us/article/di...muertos-altars . This year the Holiday falls the first three days of November. Alters are made for loved ones, pets, favorite celebrities or icons that have passed...I have even seen ones that make political statements (ex-global warming).

I have a girlfriend here in LA who is totally into dia de los muertos. She and her family spend a day at their Dad's grave and bring all his favorite food and drink. They eat and get drunk and talk about their Dad all day long. Before they leave, they open a bottle of the Dad's favorite Tequila and pour it all over his grave. It is a very happy day, not a sad one. What an awesome tradition!
    Any day above ground is a good day.

magblax Guest
    Awesome tattoo Jefe. I love the Day of the Dead art! Sorry I lost track of this thread...but HAPPY DAY OF THE DEAD!!! The celebration starts today (Nov. 1st-2nd).

Celebrants believe that the souls of the dead return and are all around them. Family members gather at cemetaries and have picnics at their loved ones graves (bringing their deceased family member's favorite meals and drinks). At their homes they make elaborate alters decorated with photos of their loved ones surrounded by their favorite thing (cigarettes, alcohol, music, etc).
    If someone was to make a Day of the Dead Alter in your honor...what 3 things would you want them to leave for you?

Here's my list:
    1. A bottle of good scotch whiskey (Jack Daniels would do)
    2. A pink flamingo
    3. Chocolate

MorbidMolly Guest
    1- pictures of daughter and grandaughter

2- chocolate

3- silver to ward off evil

My daughter is half spanish so this tradition is very well known for us.....it`s beautiful and haunting at the same time

Armcast Guest
    My family celebrates el Dia de los Muertos, though usually it's my older relatives who do so. We never got into the habit of putting up an altar with offerings, but we make do with going to the gravesite to clean it and spruce it up with flowers.

November 1 is actually All Saints Day...on this day, we usually visit the graves of children (since they are - in our tradition - innocents). November 2 is All Souls Day, where we visit adults who have left this world.

Here are some pictures of the various traditions...

The flowers...

Pan de Muerto (Traditional Bread for the Dead)

Candy Skeletons/Skulls

Altars for Loved Ones

Continued on next post...

Armcast Guest
    Some more pictures...

These are the actual vigils that take place at the cemetary.

Vigils for the Angels (Children who have passed on) - November 1

Vigils for the Dead - November 2

During the Day...

At Night...

If you've ever been to a cemetery in a Latin American nation, you'll perceive kind of a festive atmosphere. It's a way of honoring our dead, respecting the living and acknowledging that this is the place that we will one day meet in this earthly realm.

There is also a tradition of composing light-hearted poems called calaveras (skulls) that basically depict how a person meets their death. It's not a wish. It's just a light-hearted reminder that we will meet death one day and that it is nothing to be feared.

Feliz Dia de los Muertos!

magblax Guest
    Thank you so much for posting the photos and info armcast!! I love the way that death is celebrated and families and friend come together during this time. The sugar skulls are so cool (I'm making some). I also hears that the marygold flowers are left at the alters because it is believed their scent attracts the spirits.
    I am going to a Day of the Dead celebration on Saturday. A local elementary school has their classes make alters to commemerate their dead relatives and friends. The notes and art these kids leave are so touching and sweet. Their alters will be on display during our city's celebration.

Armcast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Thank you so much for posting the photos and info armcast!! I love the way that death is celebrated and families and friend come together during this time. The sugar skulls are so cool (I'm making some). I also hears that the marygold flowers are left at the alters because it is believed their scent attracts the spirits.
    I am going to a Day of the Dead celebration on Saturday. A local elementary school has their classes make alters to commemerate their dead relatives and friends. The notes and art these kids leave are so touching and sweet. Their alters will be on display during our city's celebration.
    You're quite right about the aroma of the flowers attracting the spirits of our departed ones. Some of my neighbors sprinkle the petals of the cempasúchitl flower leading from the doorway to the altar. The vigil by the living family members who sit near the altar is so that we are there to welcome our departed ones.

The altar basically consists of different elements: Earth, Wind, Water and Fire.

The earth is represented by the flowers. The wind is represented by something that can be moved easily such as tissue paper with patterns cut out. Water is plain water in a glass so that the visiting souls can quench their thirst after such a long journey. Finally, fire is represented by as many lit candles as there are departed loved ones that we remember, and one extra lit candle for the soul of the loved one that we've forgotten.

SistaSara Guest

Dia De Los Muertos 2008 (Day of the Dead)

Attention local L.A. hags and anyone who's gonna be in the area on Nov 1st:http://www.ladayofthedead.com/

cool thanks, I hope I remember to go when the time rolls around
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

SistaSara Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    cool thanks, I hope I remember to go when the time rolls around
    Don't worry I'll be reminding everyone.

I've always wanted to go to a Day of the Dead celebration, too bad I'm in Okla-freakin'-homa.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I've never been to one either, because I'm stuck here in Jawja, but hubs sister cooks up all the dead food. I have never eaten any of it because she is a baaaaaaaad cook. LOL. BTW don't tell hubs I said that.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

bblvnvelphy Guest
    i have never celebrated it, but i have helped my grandma prepare for it once, something i will never do again. We had to paint what seemed like a bajillion white crosses that she was going to decorate.

lisalouver Guest
    Oh I always wanted to go to a Day of the Dead celebration as well. Don't they make candies and cakes that look like tiny caskets and such?

FannyB1923 Guest
    Resolved! I'm going to start observing this one. So many I have loved have crossed over. In my tradition there's All Saints Day, but that's just prayers at church.
    I love the idea of celebrating the lives of loved ones.

There are all kinds of amazing Day of the Dead themed things available in the US. There's fabric for tablecloths. I've seen Mexican pottery any Death Hag would love. On Ebay once I saw a figurine of a woman that had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth- I laughed and said "MOM!" - kicking myself I didn't buy it. This year for sure!

Can anyone tell me if there are special dishes? I know about the skull candy.

Armcast Guest
    Here's how El Dia de los Muertos is celebrated in Mexico in pictures...

Armcast Guest
    Some more...

Vamp Guest
    The day of the Dead is the ultimate Death Hag holiday!

SistaSara Guest
    As far as I know Hollywood Forever is the ONLY cemetery in the nation that has a celebration INSIDE the cemetery gates/grounds.

THANKS for the cool pics!

FannyB1923 Guest
    The gathering at Hollywood Forever sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Oh I always wanted to go to a Day of the Dead celebration as well. Don't they make candies and cakes that look like tiny caskets and such?
    They have 'calaveras' which are skulls made of sugar and decorated. I had the pleasure of going to TJ with my spanish teacher my sr year of high school right around dia de los muertos. Being a good lil goth gal, I bought a bunch of calaveras in various sizes. For several years after that I even made a little dia de los muertos alter to honor the recently departed. My parents just loved me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lisalouver Guest
    They have 'calaveras' which are skulls made of sugar and decorated. I had the pleasure of going to TJ with my spanish teacher my sr year of high school right around dia de los muertos. Being a good lil goth gal, I bought a bunch of calaveras in various sizes. For several years after that I even made a little dia de los muertos alter to honor the recently departed. My parents just loved me
    Ah ha! Thanks Morty, I have had more than my share in TJ (I was stationed in San Diego for a spell) but never was there around that time. My times in TJ are a blur, actually.

Anyhow, I thought it was something like that, so it is skulls made of sugar! Do they eat them? Or they are only for decoration?

Ah ha! Thanks Morty, I have had more than my share in TJ (I was stationed in San Diego for a spell) but never was there around that time. My times in TJ are a blur, actually.

Anyhow, I thought it was something like that, so it is skulls made of sugar! Do they eat them? Or they are only for decoration?
    You can eat them, but its kinda not so tasty, like eating a block of concentrated sugar. I just notices theres some pics of em a few posts above. I kept mine til they disinigrated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lisalouver Guest
    It reminds me of the Celtic Samhain holiday - a bit similar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

It reminds me of the Celtic Samhain holiday - a bit similar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain
    whew, I finally got a chance to look that over. Interesting how a lot of customs, beliefs and practices seem to overlap in our different cultures. Thanks for the great read...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lisalouver Guest
    whew, I finally got a chance to look that over. Interesting how a lot of customs, beliefs and practices seem to overlap in our different cultures. Thanks for the great read...
    Yes, you're welcome!

My Dad's side of the family is Irish and Scottish and I remember him talking about this when I was small. His grandmother (so my great grandmother) used to celebrate this as the first day of winter in Ireland before she came over to the US.

I think some people think of it as a "spooky" holiday because it coincides with Halloween, but it's really not. Although they do celebrate the dead just like the Day of the Dead holiday.

Pretty cool!

Yes, you're welcome!

My Dad's side of the family is Irish and Scottish and I remember him talking about this when I was small. His grandmother (so my great grandmother) used to celebrate this as the first day of winter in Ireland before she came over to the US.

I think some people think of it as a "spooky" holiday because it coincides with Halloween, but it's really not. Although they do celebrate the dead just like the Day of the Dead holiday.

Pretty cool!
    nothing wrong with celebrating the dead

In all seriousness, they are are history and heritage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1karenhb Guest
    I want to go!

SistaSara Guest
    I am so excited....Nov. 1 is almost here!!!!

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    Yeah, I think I'm going to have to check this out this year.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest

I WANT THAT DOLL IN THE MIDDLE!!! That sucker is AWESOME!!!

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    Here's how El Dia de los Muertos is celebrated in Mexico in pictures...

Beautiful! Thanks Arm!!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    Some more...

Wow what great pics Arm. Thanks for posting those. I too love those dolls. They are cool.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    Wow what great pics Arm. Thanks for posting those. I too love those dolls. They are cool.
    Way Cool!!!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Hey Cheese!!!
    Do you think they would sell them on the net???

More Cheese Please Guest
    Here's a link Sweet Beatle....

http://www.dayofthedeadmercado.com/

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Thanks friend
    Big Hugs xoxo

I lived in Mexico for 2 years. The dia de los muertos is actually a very loving holiday, in which relatives reminiss about the good times they had with their loved ones who have passed. They cook the deceased favorite foods, tell stories about them, make their favorite drinks, and some even have a picnic on their graves! (Some stay home.)I used to love all the special bread, candies & foods that were prepared. In Mexico, the marigold is associated with death, so you see them everywhere at this time of year.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    I lived in Mexico for 2 years. The dia de los muertos is actually a very loving holiday, in which relatives reminiss about the good times they had with their loved ones who have passed. They cook the deceased favorite foods, tell stories about them, make their favorite drinks, and some even have a picnic on their graves! (Some stay home.)I used to love all the special bread, candies & foods that were prepared. In Mexico, the marigold is associated with death, so you see them everywhere at this time of year.
    That does sound so nice Michi. What a nice way to remember your loved ones. We should all take a page out of that book. I find some seem to forget many people who pass after their memorials or funerals. That is really nice to honour and show respect to your passed on relatives. I like the idea very much

Norma Desmond Guest
    I have lots of Day of the Dead artifacts in my home (mostly made of papier mache), it's a holiday that my relatives from Mexico continue to celebrate, and I've got a little bit of it all around me!

newsocks Guest
    iLOVE dios de los muertos so much!! i have so much stuff with sugar skulls and things on it. i once had a DDLM party with shrines and all. GUH! so much fun.

last year on halloween night, in hollywood their were some peoples with SUCH AWESOME dios de los muertos costumes. made me jealous. i actually went home and made a collage of my costume inspiration for this year because i wanted to be that.
    alas, i am going to be popeye and olive oil, but their is always next year!

you know you're mexican if you have day of the dead circled in your calendar lol
    pull the string!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I'm sorry but you Latin guys and girls have the BEST holidays ever...I would LOVE to go to this just to see it for myself...The art and the festivities are beyond amazing...I am kinda jealous that I myself am just a hillbilly honkey and will never have any kinda amazing heritage like you's guys...It's just amazing and breathtaking...I mean that from the bottom of my heart...

ksol Guest
    this place also has nice stuff for dia de los muertos www.mexicansugarskull.com

Cataroo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Here's a link Sweet Beatle....

http://www.dayofthedeadmercado.com/

Great!!! Now I want THIS: