Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gia Carangi

Gia Carangi

Now there was a tragic case. If you get a chance to read "Thing of Beauty" by Stephen Fried, do so. It has sex, drugs, death...all the stuff we love. Isn't it amazing how the universe "picks" who becomes legends. Gia was not a nice person at all, but she truly was a beautiful woman. Patsy Cline was barely literate, but could sing like an angel! Go figure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

I don't think a lot of the big name models are super pleasant- look at Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss

knothere Guest
    Angelina Jolie starred in a Movie about her kinda sad tho how she got aids n didnt recover fromm a beetin her pushers gave her and no one famous shows up for the funeral.

I was lucky enough to get a bootleg-type of DVD documentary about Gia from her fanclub. It was like a limited time thing a few years back

A lot of great footage of Gia - including her at a party snorting coke or heroin.

The amazing thing about Gia - was how femme she was as a model and in real-life away from the cameras, she pretty "butch" as a lesbian - her demeanor and the way she carried herself.

I thought Angelina Jolie did an "alright" job as Gia - and any of you interested in seeing her movie, get the "unrated" version - there's a bit more sex scenes in it!

I always thought Cindy Crawford looked a lot like her and when she first broke into the modelling scene, her nickname was "Baby Gia".

And Cindy is still gorgeous (drool! ) to this day. You can tell she hasn't had any work done - and I hope she never does!

GODDESS6 Guest
    i agree about cindy & loved reading about gia, "thing of beauty" was great~ the movie was ok, i hope the guy who raped gia got aids~ it was sad how they quarantined her at the end~

different kind of girl Guest
    I saw the movie back in college and thought it was pretty good. I'm not much of a Cindy Crawford fan but I think Angelina is perfect.

reddawn17 Guest
    I've been reading about Gia for quite a few years now...such a horrible end to a beautiful woman! I found this..i thought that it was interesting...lemme know what you think..

"By 1980, Carangi began having violent temper tantrums, walking out of photo shoots, and even falling asleep in front of the camera. In the November 1980 issue of Vogue, Carangi's track marks from heroin can be easily seen. For three weeks, she was signed with Eileen Ford, who soon dropped her"

and here's the pic that they are talking about...
    http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=qqq3zh.jpg

You think that they could "cover" that up..i mean, they were at a professional photo shoot!

How about that last one for the cover of Cosmo where her arms are tucked behind the dress?

Francesco Scuvallo tried to help her hide her arms during that Cosmo shoot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

xenaswolf Guest
    I don't see any track marks, just the shadows from the grass in the water...am I missing something?

I remember when Gia was on the cover of the magazines.

cachluv Guest
    Angelina Jolie = bad naked.

reddawn17 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    How about that last one for the cover of Cosmo where her arms are tucked behind the dress?
    I saw that one too..Notced that they were doing what they could considering her behavior...

It's strange. A couple of years back I had a roomate that was a heroin addict. (She was sober when we met and moved in together.) Even though her attitude, personality, physical features, speech, and habits changed, she thought that no one ever noticed. She had track marks beetween her fingers and toes, as well as the other obvious places, such as her arms and legs. BUT-she never tried to cover them up. She just denied the truth.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Gia...

[SIZE=4]I never knew who Gia was till I watched the movie. At the time I was living in Pa and was suprised to find out that she was burried about 10 miles from my apartment. Being a death hag..well you know how it is.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]I visited often and always found little notes..or cans of beer. Why someone left 2 quarters and a hanks bottle cap is beyond me. One of the care takers said I wouldn't believe half the stuff they clean off her grave daily.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by DannaMarie24 View Post
    [SIZE=4]I never knew who Gia was till I watched the movie. At the time I was living in Pa and was suprised to find out that she was burried about 10 miles from my apartment. Being a death hag..well you know how it is.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]I visited often and always found little notes..or cans of beer. Why someone left 2 quarters and a hanks bottle cap is beyond me. One of the care takers said I wouldn't believe half the stuff they clean off her grave daily.[/SIZE]
    Cool - thanks for posting that! It was just sad and tragic how she died - of AIDS. Apparently she was one of the first patients and hospitals were afraid of people with AIDS and thought it was "contagious" - which is why they isolated her and everyone wore masks and bio suits in the hospital when they tended to her. Her mother never did and stayed by her side until she died.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Gia...

Cool - thanks for posting that! It was just sad and tragic how she died - of AIDS. Apparently she was one of the first patients and hospitals were afraid of people with AIDS and thought it was "contagious" - which is why they isolated her and everyone wore masks and bio suits in the hospital when they tended to her. Her mother never did and stayed by her side until she died.
    [SIZE=4]I am guessing that if they new then what known about AIDS now they wouldn't have treated her so bad. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]No one should have been treated that way.[/SIZE]

FoxMulder Guest
    I saw her E! True Hollywood Story many years ago and yes, I have read the Stephen Fried book. It really painted her in a more honest picture then most saw. She was very attractive. But that wasn't enough for her. I guess the thing is is that she didn't really know what she needed. I think she just wanted to be loved like everyone else. But sadly, most people couldn't deal with it because she was a gay woman.

Sad. She had a lot of potential but she didn't care. She was a drug addict. She had a lot of personal demons and instead of facing them, she tried to escape them.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Gia

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMulder View Post
    I saw her E! True Hollywood Story many years ago and yes, I have read the Stephen Fried book. It really painted her in a more honest picture then most saw. She was very attractive. But that wasn't enough for her. I guess the thing is is that she didn't really know what she needed. I think she just wanted to be loved like everyone else. But sadly, most people couldn't deal with it because she was a gay woman.

Sad. She had a lot of potential but she didn't care. She was a drug addict. She had a lot of personal demons and instead of facing them, she tried to escape them.
    [SIZE=4]I pretty much got that same feeling. Sorta like she didn't care what or who...as long as she was loved. [/SIZE]

FoxMulder Guest
    [SIZE=4]I am guessing that if they new then what known about AIDS now they wouldn't have treated her so bad. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]No one should have been treated that way.[/SIZE]
    Yes, they all wore "space suits" when they saw her. But after AIDS became more known, and more people in the hospital became infected, there were at least a few nurses on the psych side who were acting appropriately when they saw her.

"She thought she was going to be treated like she had the plague," one nurse said. One sat down cross-legged on her bed and Gia was like, ''Aren't you afraid of me?'' and the nurse said, ''Are you gonna have sex with me? Are you gonna share needles with me?'' Of course, she was shocked that they were all willing to touch her.

And as for her mother, well...her mother was never there for her 'cause she didn't know how to handle her. Of course, she was exremely upset when she found out she was gay, and there was always bitterness between them because of it. And then when her mom pushed her into modeling, she became Gia's biggest fan. She didn't know how to properly take care of her. A couple years after her death, AM Philadelphia did a segment on AIDS and her mother appeared on it. As for how her mother is coping today, your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea if she's alive or not. But as for Rochelle, her lover, last I heard she had "liver cancer".
    Last edited by FoxMulder; 10-21-2007 at 08:44 PM.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Gia...

Yes, they all wore "space suits" when they saw her. But after AIDS became more known, and more people in the hospital became infected, there were at least a few nurses on the psych side who were acting appropriately when they saw her.

"She thought she was going to be treated like she had the plague," one nurse said. One sat down cross-legged on her bed and Gia was like, ''Aren't you afraid of me?'' and the nurse said, ''Are you gonna have sex with me? Are you gonna share needles with me?'' Of course, she was shocked that they were all willing to touch her.

And as for her mother, well...her mother was never there for her 'cause she didn't know how to handle her. Of course, she was exremely upset when she found out she was gay, and there was always bitterness between them because of it. And then when her mom pushed her into modeling, she became Gia's biggest fan. She didn't know how to properly take care of her. A couple years after her death, AM Philadelphia did a segment on AIDS and her mother appeared on it. As for how her mother is coping today, your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea if she's alive or not. But as for Rochelle, her lover, last I heard she had "liver cancer".
    [SIZE=4]I lived in the Philadelphia area for 6 years and hadn't herd if she had died either. Last time I was at Gias grave there was no one next to her. You would think they would be in a family plot kinda deal. [/SIZE]

FoxMulder Guest
    Here ya go...

And how 'bout a pic without makeup?

Great, natural beauty.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Gia

And how 'bout a pic without makeup?

Great, natural beauty.
    [SIZE=4]Yes still very pretty....how ever to me it looks like she has very light makeup on. Also looks like shes been crying..or the drugs ..her nose is kinda red and her eyes look glassy. Maybe it's just me lol[/SIZE]

FoxMulder Guest
    Yes, you can see the eyeliner and she looks like she's been crying, and of course, she most likely would've been doped up as that pic was taken. But it still looks ''natural''. She still looks pretty. At least a lot better then that Cosmo cover. If I were a photographer, I'd most likely choose the last one then the first. At least she has something in her eyes, whether it be sadness or anger. Or both. In the cover, her eyes are dead and they put on too much makeup on her to hide her sadness and her track marks. It was just her worst cover. But that was her last cover, which was in 1982 when her heroin drug use was well into overdrive. It wasn't until 1983, on a shoot in South Africa when they found her with drugs that her career was over.
    Last edited by FoxMulder; 10-21-2007 at 09:22 PM.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Gia

Yes, you can see the eyeliner and she looks like she's been crying, and of course, she most likely would've been doped up as that pic was taken. But it still looks ''natural''. She still looks pretty. At least a lot better then that Cosmo cover. If I were a photographer, I'd most likely choose the last one then the first. At least she has something in her eyes, whether it be sadness or anger. Or both. In the cover, her eyes are dead and they put on too much makeup on her to hide her sadness and her track marks. It was just her worst cover. But that was her last cover, which was in 1982 when her heroin drug use was well into overdrive. It wasn't until 1983, on a shoot in South Africa when they found her with drugs that her career was over.
    [SIZE=4]Yeah that first pic...well it looks sorta clownish. I hate to say that because she was such a beautiful gal. Thats too much make up for anyway.[/SIZE]

GODDESS6 Guest
    thanx for posting the pics, i had seen the cosmo cover before, but don't remember the other~ she looks so gorgeous in the 2nd pic~

Talking Gia Marie Carangi

[SIZE=3]I did a search, but I didn't see anything started about Gia. I got very interested in her life and death after I saw the HBO movie about her. Anyone else care to share their thoughts about this beautiful disaster? [/SIZE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gia.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	673  

this was my first celebrity death obsession! very beautiful and tragic.

firegilnotguns Guest
    There is a thread about her here: http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614

OOOPPPPS, MY BAD! Sorry guys!

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Looks like a death pic on the bottom of this site?

Warning::::
    http://www.thegiacarangiproject.com/timeline.html

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Trackmarks? I read they tried to airbrush them as best as they could.

Kathyf Guest
    The story was so sad. I watched the movie with Angelena Jolie it seems like she would have been really big had she not started on drugs.

I love Gia! I got that book years before the movie came out. The movie was ok, I think Angelina did a good enough job. It's just so hard to believe that someone who looks like that has issues. I know that sounds idiotic, but man, if I had a face like that and could be a model, I'd work my ass off, sock my money away and retire somewhere nice and be by myself. That's just me though. Gia had total abandonment issues and needed someone around her.

I think the way she got treated when she got AIDS was horrible. Her stepfather wouldn't allow her to stay at their house and no one in the modeling world even cared that she died. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    Looks like a death pic on the bottom of this site?

Warning::::
    http://www.thegiacarangiproject.com/timeline.html

It very well could be. Good find.

Quote Originally Posted by Missa310 View Post
    It very well could be. Good find.

No, she had lost a lot of her hair before she died.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    No, she had lost a lot of her hair before she died.

ya. Where they placed it on the page is misleadinding. I also read her skin was sliding off.
    ~SinKitt

Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    ya. Where they placed it on the page is misleadinding. I also read her skin was sliding off.
    ~SinKitt
    Yeah, that photo of her at the bottom of the page is what she looked like when she got out of rehab and shortly before she knew she had AIDS.

Believe me, if you read the book about her life, and the way she was described looking at the end - you'd know that was NOT her death picture on the bottom of that website!

lisalouver Guest
    What a stunning woman she was.

I loved the movie even though I detest Angelina.

She seemed like a helluva chick. Would have liked to have known her.

Lisamarie Guest
    Such a sad story, sorry I thought the Angelina movie was so overdone..I mean the red dress motorcycle scene was alittle much for me.....but The real Gia...thats an amazing story.....if only I had met her....I would have taken her away from all that. Or at least try too.

xenaswolf Guest
    Did a little research and her gf's name that appeared as "Rochelle" in the book was Elyssa Golden.

Her name appears on an AIDS memorial wall
    http://206.252.132.18:8080/aboutus/M...l.jsp?Letter=g

Not sure if its the same person

I loved the movie, and I think Angelia Jolie not only rocks but she is a great actress and humanitarian. It was a winner combo for me.

cherryghost Guest
    Very beautiful girl! There are not many models with her delicate looks but she has charisma also, you really want to look at and into her face!

Actually she was pretty butch when the cameras weren't on her. And she had the twitches pretty bad from all the drugs she took. I have a documentary on her and they showed an interview she did at a drug rehab and she was just jerking around like crazy while she was talking.

And they also had scenes of her at a party. One part she was snorting up a line of heroin, and at another she was all over her girlfriend - and not in a "femme" type of way either.

The name of the documentary is "The Self-destruction of Gia - a Film by JJ Martin".

You can buy it here - if interested!

http://www.theself-destructionofgia....DPRESENTS.html

Here is a description of the doc from wiki:

The Self-Destruction of Gia is a 2003 documentary film about supermodel Gia Carangi and her death from drug abuse. It was directed and produced by J. J. Martin. The life of Gia Carangi, who died of AIDS in 1986 at the age of 26, has already been the subject of several television documentaries, and the HBO-produced docudrama Gia, which gave Angelina Jolie's acting career a huge boost. In The Self-Destruction of Gia, filmmaker JJ Martin explores the young woman's life through rare home movies and photos, previously unseen interviews with the supermodel, and contemporary interviews with family, friends, and associates of the tragic figure. Fashion world stalwarts like photographer Francesco Scavullo and designers Diane Von Furstenberg and Vera Wang describe Carangi's special spark, and the arc of her modeling career. Longtime lover Sandy Linter talks about Carangi's powerfully fluid sexual allure and her surprising neediness. The late screenwriter/actress Zoe Lund lovingly describes the appeal of heroin, while Carangi's drug counselor, Robert Hilton, discusses Carangi's amazing appetite for the drug and her regular visits to the squalor of a Lower East Side shooting gallery. Carangi's mother, Kathleen Sperr, goes into painful detail about Carangi's final days. Throughout, interviews with Carangi and her peers present the image of an intelligent young woman with a lust for life who was uncertain of her place in the world and profoundly unhappy with a career that thrust her into the limelight because of how she looked. The Self-Destruction of Gia was shown at the 2003 Tribeca Film Festival.
    Last edited by Aries65; 01-15-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I don't see any track marks, just the shadows from the grass in the water...am I missing something?
    Xena you're not the only one. All I see is the black eye they tried covering up.

xenaswolf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    Xena you're not the only one. All I see is the black eye they tried covering up.

Now I gotta go back and look again..I didn't see the black eye either LOL I was looking for the track marks...

hotmama Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reddawn17 View Post
    I saw that one too..Notced that they were doing what they could considering her behavior...

It's strange. A couple of years back I had a roomate that was a heroin addict. (She was sober when we met and moved in together.) Even though her attitude, personality, physical features, speech, and habits changed, she thought that no one ever noticed. She had track marks beetween her fingers and toes, as well as the other obvious places, such as her arms and legs. BUT-she never tried to cover them up. She just denied the truth.
    i have an older friend who has been in recovery for over 10 years. she told me thinking that you look good even though you are a mess, is part of drug addiction. i had other addicted friends who swore they were better than other people. even though they were on the block turning tricks, stealing from their kids and parents. these people swore they were up on top and everyone else was a bottom feeder. ain't that some sh#&??

RaRaRamona Guest
    [SIZE=4]Yeah that first pic...well it looks sorta clownish. I hate to say that because she was such a beautiful gal. Thats too much make up for anyway.[/SIZE]
    Yeah well that was the 80's. Those big bushy eyebrows, big bushy hair, shoulder pads & tons of hairspray & makeup. Ah good times. She was phenomenally gorgeous.

hotmama Guest
    gia's story is sad as so is anyone who dies of aids. i believe there is more to gia's story. why all the drugs?? i have noticed in the 39 years i have been on earth that a lot of addicts have issues which stem from childhood. may it be abandonment by their parents or rape, child molestation, or physical or mental abuse. did she suffer some or all of those things?? some peopel cannot overcome certain things. some of us are stronger than others so we can't say "oh well that happened to me and i am not on drugs" that is you. not everyone else. i would like to see the film on gia. i did see the hbo film with angelina. they advertised that film for a month straight. she had a lot to live for. she was robbed.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Aries, I see what you mean about her being so butch. Tyra should have had Kim watch Gia when she was having trouble being "modely." I'm only half joking - it really would have helped her.

xenaswolf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    gia's story is sad as so is anyone who dies of aids. i believe there is more to gia's story. why all the drugs?? i have noticed in the 39 years i have been on earth that a lot of addicts have issues which stem from childhood. may it be abandonment by their parents or rape, child molestation, or physical or mental abuse. did she suffer some or all of those things?? some peopel cannot overcome certain things. some of us are stronger than others so we can't say "oh well that happened to me and i am not on drugs" that is you. not everyone else. i would like to see the film on gia. i did see the hbo film with angelina. they advertised that film for a month straight. she had a lot to live for. she was robbed.

Well part of her deal was her mom fooling around and leaving the family while she was young, or at least according to the movie. I haven't read the book yet. It seems she really took her mother abandoning the family very very hard. Then with her mentor Willhemina dying ( I always thought she look on her as a surrogate mom) I think that pushed her over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Aries, I see what you mean about her being so butch. Tyra should have had Kim watch Gia when she was having trouble being "modely." I'm only half joking - it really would have helped her.
    I just watched the above clip - why does Sandy Linter look so familiar? I thought she was a make-up artist. Has she done any acting?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39