Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Kaufman

qulevergrrl Guest
    I love the part in the film where he realizes that the treatment in the Philipinnes (sp) is a phoney and the irony sets in for him. If that was a true representation of what/how things happened, that is pretty interesting.

It's hard to imagine thathe'd still be alive. He seemed to be the type of person who thrived on attention and for him to just vanish (if he were still alive) wouldn't sound like him

RIP Andy - he's dead!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    It's hard to imagine thathe'd still be alive. He seemed to be the type of person who thrived on attention and for him to just vanish (if he were still alive) wouldn't sound like him

RIP Andy - he's dead!
    I am sure he is dead!

I still wonder about those pic's in the tabloids though? His head is shaved but he still has chest hair! If he was having radiation treatment his chest hair should have fallen out as well??

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I am sure he is dead!

I still wonder about those pic's in the tabloids though? His head is shaved but he still has chest hair! If he was having radiation treatment his chest hair should have fallen out as well??
    Yeah, you pretty much lose ALL your hair with cancer treatments - my friend did - but it all has grown back, thankfully!

Danny62 Guest
    Yeah, you pretty much lose ALL your hair with cancer treatments - my friend did - but it all has grown back, thankfully!

So did he really have Cancer then?? I don't know if he gone thru chemo or not though!!!

But it does give us that tiny bit of doubt!! I am sure he would have come back if he were alive by now anyway!!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I liked his Mighty Mouse skit/song he did on Saturday Night Live. But didn't care much for the wrestling with the women one - he was quite the
    a-hole on that!

He was okay as Latka on Taxi tho.
    If I remember correctly, there was at least one of those women that literally kicked his ass...fake or not, that was absolutely GREAT.

So did he really have Cancer then?? I don't know if he gone thru chemo or not though!!!

But it does give us that tiny bit of doubt!! I am sure he would have come back if he were alive by now anyway!!!
    He supposedly died of lung cancer - even tho he didn't smoke.

Danny62 Guest
    Andy Kaufman allegedly told many peopleâ??including Bob Zmudaâ??that he wished to fake his own death prior to his actual death. This has caused some fans to believe Kaufman is still alive. A screenplay Kaufman was working on at the time of his death was about a character who claimed to have lung cancer and faked his death.

Andy lost his hair around the time of his death, and was also seen around Los Angeles in a wheelchair. Some claim his hair loss was due to cancer treatment; however, and according to the website
    AndykaufmanLives.com, Andy's girlfriend at the time later claimed to have shaved his head with a razor. Andy's sister also commented after his death that she found it odd that the doctor who diagnosed Andy with cancer had been wearing tennis shoes, sparking debate among fans as to whether Andy had paid off an actor friend to pose as a doctor.
    There are many such rumors involving Andy's "hoax" death. The 1999 film Man On the Moon leaves the question open-ended. Tony Clifton is shown performing a year after Kaufman's death, with members of his entourage in attendance. Bob Zmuda has acknowledged "death hoax" rumors over the years quite tongue-in-cheek, admitting that Andy and he had discussed faking his death at times and that Andy seemed "obsessed with the idea," but he maintains the opinion that Andy truly did die and his death was not faked. Zmuda claims he doesn't think Andy would be cruel enough to go this long without making contact with his family if he were still alive. But he also acknowledged the idea that Kaufman could have faked his death in 1984 and died later of some other cause.

During the 1990s, Tony Clifton has reportedly made several appearances at LA nightclubs since Kaufman's death, prompting speculation that perhaps Kaufman was still alive and working under the makeup. While many assume Zmuda portrayed the character, Zmuda has been evasive as to the truth, so the legend persists -- fueled partially by an ad in Daily Variety promoting an appearance by Clifton at the Comedy Store in the late 1990s.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    You have to remember, Andy wasn't necessarily a comedian. He was a guy who wanted to push buttons. He wanted to see reactions and he even enjoyed being not liked. He set it up on purpose.
    His objective wasn't just to find people who may laugh but to find people to turn off and irritate. He delighted in peoples anger/aggravation because he got a reaction from them. He was never supposed to just be a regular stand up and try to get laughs.
    Andy was more in line with performance art than comedy. He sure didn't consider himself a stand up comedian.
    That's pretty much how I define a fucking asshole.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    If I remember correctly, there was at least one of those women that literally kicked his ass...fake or not, that was absolutely GREAT.
    I am thinking it was staged?

Even the part on Letterman where he got hit by Jerry Lawler was staged I here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv73yzYuE_M

I never got him either..I thought it was just me!

Fighter Guest
    I think he was absolutely brilliant - way ahead of his time. The Tony Clifton gimmick was absolutely hilarious!

But that's just my opinion...

I can see how people can hate him or not find him funny.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese View Post
    I never got him either..I thought it was just me!
    That was what he wanted people to think!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
    I think he was absolutely brilliant - way ahead of his time. The Tony Clifton gimmick was absolutely hilarious!

But that's just my opinion...

I can see how people can hate him or not find him funny.
    YEah I think you either liked or hated him! He was brillant, I am sure he is dead but for the first few years people wasn't sure if he had pulled off faking his own death!!

How Brilliant would that have been! still makes you wonder with those chemo pic's, why does he have chest hair???

TheMysterian Guest

Andy Kaufman

Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    Andy can be pleased. He's been dead for more than 20 years and he is still pushing those buttons
    Taxi was his "vehicle" after that his career headed south,I always thought he had mental issues.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Ugh, I detested the guy! I couldn't change the channels fast enough when I saw him on my TV.

My feelings exactly.
    I found everything about him annonying.

Danny62 Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzl0O8rsgAM

Brilliant, making people think he wasn't talented until he did Elvis!!!

GrinReaper Guest
    I am thinking it was staged?

Even the part on Letterman where he got hit by Jerry Lawler was staged I here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv73yzYuE_M
    I wonder about that too. If the whole thing, including the challenge and the wrestling match with Lawler was staged.
    Anyone know the truth?

Fighter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    I wonder about that too. If the whole thing, including the challenge and the wrestling match with Lawler was staged.
    Anyone know the truth?
    According to Jerry Lawler it was but only him and Andy were in on it. Andy apparently told Lawler to hit him for real - Letterman had no clue

The whole "wrestling thing" was staged; it was just to push buttons; and mainly to get laughs...apparently for the most part for Andy.

I don't doubt that he had certain mental issues; just look into his eyes; but from that came comedic genius.

I remember seeing him doing what he called his "foreign man" routine in the late 60's or early 70's. At that time he had never appeared on TV out side of that character. Even as a kid; I suspected that it was a put on.

I read the book about Andy by Bob Zmuda; one of Andy's writers and co-conspirators. In it he related that "foreign man" was born as a result of Andy being mugged and pretending that he did not understand English until the mugger gave up.

He also relates that Andy never smoked or drank; but when he was in character as Tony Clifton; he did both to excess.

He says that the night before the Andy vs. Lawler wrestling match; they enjoyed a very nice dinner; at the home of Jerry Lawler.

Andy apparently took great delight in the fact that he had created the Tony Clifton character but only portrayed him once or twice; the rest of those appearances being done by Zmuda. Zmuda says that Andy loved the fact that people thought they where watching him in character when in fact he was miles away.

I can certainly understand why his "comedy" does not appeal to everyone, it does to me. There again; most of the comedy shows; or even the bands I like; don't seem to last long.

I posted this link earlier in this thread; but I will post it again simply to demonstrate Andy's fanciful way of screwing with people.

By all expectations; you are looking for silliness; but you get some decent talent.

Sorry; this is my longest post ever. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47Xl4A98OU

Overtaxed Guest
    Loved him as Latka, but thought he was an absolute Horse's Ass when he did his own Schtick!

Andy Kaufman

I think you are right, he is laughing his brains out wherever he is. 20 years later he's still pushing buttons and that's just how he liked it

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    The whole "wrestling thing" was staged; it was just to push buttons; and mainly to get laughs...apparently for the most part for Andy.

I don't doubt that he had certain mental issues; just look into his eyes; but from that came comedic genius.

I remember seeing him doing what he called his "foreign man" routine in the late 60's or early 70's. At that time he had never appeared on TV out side of that character. Even as a kid; I suspected that it was a put on.

I read the book about Andy by Bob Zmuda; one of Andy's writers and co-conspirators. In it he related that "foreign man" was born as a result of Andy being mugged and pretending that he did not understand English until the mugger gave up.

He also relates that Andy never smoked or drank; but when he was in character as Tony Clifton; he did both to excess.

He says that the night before the Andy vs. Lawler wrestling match; they enjoyed a very nice dinner; at the home of Jerry Lawler.

Andy apparently took great delight in the fact that he had created the Tony Clifton character but only portrayed him once or twice; the rest of those appearances being done by Zmuda. Zmuda says that Andy loved the fact that people thought they where watching him in character when in fact he was miles away.

I can certainly understand why his "comedy" does not appeal to everyone, it does to me. There again; most of the comedy shows; or even the bands I like; don't seem to last long.

I posted this link earlier in this thread; but I will post it again simply to demonstrate Andy's fanciful way of screwing with people.

By all expectations; you are looking for silliness; but you get some decent talent.

Sorry; this is my longest post ever. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47Xl4A98OU
    That guy could sing! his Elvis impersonation also is nothing short of brilliant!!

I don't think he had any mental issues, it was part of the act!

Those people like "larry the cable guy" have nothing on Andy!!!

He was One of a kind!!!!

Reecy Guest
    The guy never made me laugh. I did feel bad for him when he died. (?)

That guy could sing! his Elvis impersonation also is nothing short of brilliant!!

I don't think he had any mental issues, it was part of the act!

Those people like "larry the cable guy" have nothing on Andy!!!

He was One of a kind!!!!
    I can't disagree with you Danny. That Elvis impersonation was incredible.

I used to look into his eyes and think there was something "vacant" in his stare. Now I think it's more of an "over populated" look. Too many thoughts and ideas; and maybe a few voices. <G>

Andy is the only comedian I've seen where you just had no idea what would happen next.

Sylkyn Guest
    I guess I'm with the minority here who absolutely LOVED him. I didn't "get" him at first, but then it was like one day...BAM! This guy's fucking hilarious! I adored his first stint on SNL ("Heeere I come to save the daaaaay...!") and as Elvis, well...he was Elvis. Eerily so.

I do admit I thought his alter ego dude Tony was boring, but I loved the way he pulled it off. And I never did care for his wrestling women routine. THAT I thought was truly dull. He came off just as a jackass that way, but hey...it was Andy!

I think we don't realize what a true genius (not necessarily comedic, either) had been in our midst, although now there seems to be a void that can't be filled since he's "gone". Yeah, I love to pretend he's still around. I believe, in at least some way, he probably is.

We're all still bitching, reminiscing and talking about him, ain't we?

Edited to add: The movie "Man On the Moon" was absolutely marvelous. Jim Carrey had Andy down pat, and it made me just get goosebumps watching it (the several dozen times I've seen it). If you haven't seen it, rent it. Whether you liked him or not, watch that movie. It's Andy.
    Last edited by Sylkyn; 12-28-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Thought of something else!

Sylkyn Guest
    I can't disagree with you Danny. That Elvis impersonation was incredible.

I used to look into his eyes and think there was something "vacant" in his stare. Now I think it's more of an "over populated" look. Too many thoughts and ideas; and maybe a few voices. <G>

Andy is the only comedian I've seen where you just had no idea what would happen next.
    Bolding mine. You nailed it. Not just voices, either. People! He might have been "crazy" but oh. my. god...that fine line between genius and insanity...that was Andy Kaufman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    Bolding mine. You nailed it. Not just voices, either. People! He might have been "crazy" but oh. my. god...that fine line between genius and insanity...that was Andy Kaufman.
    Agreed.

Thank you for your post.

Andy; whether you liked him or not; was certainly one of a kind; and you never knew what he would give you next.

I like that.

Danny62 Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uQlB99WCuk

This one is kind of funny!! LOL

seberly Guest
    I didn't like Andy in anything although I found the wrestling to be intersting. I did read the book by Bob Zmuda and which was really good. I do agree with what others have said, he wasn't so much a comedian I think he did his routine to see how far he could push people. If I remember correctly with the cancer he had some pretty radical treatments.

Armcast Guest
    I remember staying up to watch SNL or some other late night show where he was going to appear...All he did was sing the "Mighty Mouse" theme...I was kind of disappointed....maybe that was what he wanted?

attackatdawn Guest

Andy Kaufman, 1949-1984, US comedian, subject of the film Man on the Moon

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I heard he had Aspbergers Syndrome. Anyone else hear this?

joplinfrk, I found this on Aspergers Syndrome. It lists Kaufam amoung many others fictional and real people that may have or have it. http://www.autism-world.com/index.ph...autism-traits/

I watched Man on the Moon last night, and apparently Andy had OCD too - since he was constantly washing his hands off with handi-wipes and when he ate off of a plate, he'd move the food around - so it wasn't touching the other piles.

I think he's dead. It was a good movie, but I was mostly irritated by him!

leeny994 Guest
    i think this site has been mentioned in one of the posts here
    http://www.andykaufmanlives.com/
    i actually sent in an email question to it which is posted near the end about Andy's daughter and granddaughter. he and a teen sweetheart had a child which was given up for adoption. she surfaced in the 90's--did not know her father's fame at all and i believe from tidbits i have heard had no clue who andy kaufman was. she herself had a little girl (who played Andy's little sister carol in Man on the Moon) which is what i believe sparked her looking for her birth family. i basically asked 'king' or 'andy' why this did not provoke him out of 'hiding' and got a whole jumbled up answer like much of the answers from 'king'
    alas--do i think he is dead--who the heck knows! but i do agree he was more performance art than comedian

Danny62 Guest
    I gotta believe he is dead! Andy being the prankster he was would have came from the great beyond if he really faked his death!!

Its just a weird coincidence he dies the same way he planned on faking his death??

I keep bringing this up but those pics of him being bald but still having chest hair bothers me!!

In chemo you lose all your hair!!!!!!!!!!

Always gives me that little bit of doubt!!!

leeny994 Guest
    that is the part that bugs me too--he died the same way he had 'planned on dying' when discussing faking his death... only maybe he was sicker a lot longer than anyone knew....
    but then...maybe he is somewhere out there....

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    that is the part that bugs me too--he died the same way he had 'planned on dying' when discussing faking his death... only maybe he was sicker a lot longer than anyone knew....
    but then...maybe he is somewhere out there....

It would be cool if he was still with us, Maybe he is lurking on FAD?

Come back ANDY!!!

leeny994 Guest
    i could so see him doing that--andy andy where are you LOL?

disco Guest
    andy was pretty funny sometimes. there was something missing in his life, just like john Belushi's. both found what they wanted. peace in death. rip boys. thats it dey aint no mo!

Noelle Page Guest
    I just watched "Man on the Moon".....sigh......to me, it was as unwatchable as Andy. I guess I don't know "comic genius" when I see it. I would agree with the Aspberger's theory--or something!

Hag1 Guest
    I agree, I never got it either. the genius part must have gone over my head, because the mighty mouse thing was just stupid. The Latka character was okay, but I liked the lady who played his wife better, can't think of her name.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hag1 View Post
    I agree, I never got it either. the genius part must have gone over my head, because the mighty mouse thing was just stupid. The Latka character was okay, but I liked the lady who played his wife better, can't think of her name.
    I was just going to post this almost word for word!

I never got him either and I loved Carol Kane (the one who played his wife)!!!

leeny994 Guest
    i did love the character of Latka. he and carol kane were great together! other than than that... not so much.

Ian_Rowlins Guest
    An artists worth isn't measured in fame
    or how much one may enjoy it
    It is measured in knowing that fame is a farce
    and having the will to destroy it

imogene schlogenwockle Guest
    Andy Kaufman was no genius; he was an unfunny NUT. Good riddance!

Quote Originally Posted by imogene schlogenwockle View Post
    Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions.

I found him brilliant; but I "get" what he was doing.

I guess that is why we have so many different options in entertainment; so that there is something for everyone.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions.

I found him brilliant; but I "get" what he was doing.

I guess that is why we have so many different options in entertainment; so that there is something for everyone.
    I'm with you Jim.
    I LOVED Andy Kaufman.
    I guess you can say I am amongst those people who "got" him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    I'm with you Jim.
    I LOVED Andy Kaufman.
    I guess you can say I am amongst those people who "got" him.
    Thanks, Tug!

Brilliant guy; always kept you wondering.

How hard is that?

Very; I would think.

Not for the "common" mind...

Guest Guest
    ok I need to say this about the chemo and the hair, I don't know about back in Andy's days but my husband was offered chemo 3 years ago for a serious cancer and he was was worried about his hair, and was told that not all chemos make you lose your hair. He was guaranteed that the chemo he was offered would not have made him lose any hair, nor would it have even made him sick or nausaus (sp?) sorry I can never spell that word. Not all chemo meds are the same. The cancer clinic told us that certain chemo meds have come a long way in terms of side effects and some do not even hardly have side effects nowadays.

ok, with regards to Andy, he is a little before my time but I did not care for him much. However when he went to do that comedy routine and ended up instead of doing comedy but read a boring book (what was that boook?) in front of the audience and also invited all the audience to milk and cookies, I think that is brilliant! I think he was terribly lonely and when I heard he got kicked out of the medititation retreat place he was going to, and that he was really upset about not being able to go there anymore, well I really felt sorry for him when I heard that. Meditation is so good for you and he obviously had a spirititual side to him that he was trying to explore and that meditation retreat was probably helping him deal with his lonliness. Then he died of cancer. bummer. Jim Carrey was a genius in that movie the way he portrayed him, an absolute genius in my opinion.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by imogene schlogenwockle View Post

It sounds like you are glad he died? Mo matter. He was a genius in his day.

People like Jay Leno, that can't crack a joke out of a wet paper bag these days I can't stand.

Cadence71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    It sounds like you are glad he died? Mo matter. He was a genius in his day.

People like Jay Leno, that can't crack a joke out of a wet paper bag these days I can't stand.
    Jay Leno is one of the unfunniest people on the planet. I've always thought that he seems like a person who wouldn't take much for him to fly into a rage...it always seems to be right below the surface. I for the life of me can't understand how he has made it as big as he has.