Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dudley Moore

Shes Not There Guest

Dudley Moore

born: 4-19-35
    died: 3-27-02

Couldn't find a thread on him. Any thoughts on poor 'ole Dudley?

SuckMyKiss Guest
    I always loved watching him in that Santa Claus movie when I was kid. He was like..the spirit of christmas. Lol

HeatherB Guest
    Wow! He was so cool!
    Check this out...It's funny, but it's cool to see him so young...

What a loss, eh? He was just cool...
    Oh and I LOVE youtube.

pvezz Guest
    He was hilarious in "Arthur". How sad the way he deteriorated....RIP

JeffD Guest
    I always thought he was a great guy, very funny and a fine piano player. He had a beautiful Mrs and a dream life. He was suffering from depression long before his physical illness. His place in Marina Del Rey was so beautiful, looking out over the harbor and ocean. I remember a TV show he was in. He just sat in his bedroom and watched the beautiful sailboats go in and out. How could he be so sad?

different kind of girl Guest
    Arthur was great. I think he was a very handsome man too, but yeah, he deteriorated pretty quickly, didn't he.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Dudley Moore..Visited His Grave...

[SIZE=3]Hubby and I visited his grave last year in New Jersey. He has a beautiful head stone. It has an etched photo of him playing his piano on the beach. Here is the link if anyone wants to take a peek.[/SIZE]
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Picture079.jpg

WendyK Guest
    I never even knew he died until I read it on FAD

1karenhb Guest
    Thanks for the great pix! Don't know if he was divorced or separated from his last wife, but she was living with her ex-husband. A real nut job. He spent his last years living with a long time friend back east. Hollywood seems to have turned it's back on him as is so often the case.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Dudley Moore

[SIZE=4]Not sure if he was married at the time either but I know he moved to NJ and a few of his friends took care of him and made sure his last wishes were carried out. Must have been great friends to do something like that.[/SIZE]

pvezz Guest
    Very cool photo!

Wow, thanks for posting the pic of his grave. That's fantastic, I've never seen that before. I read a biography of him - a fascinating guy. He was born with a club foot and never really had very high self-esteem. Even though he was incredibly talented and good looking, he never thought highly of himself and was quite a womanizer because of it. It was a great loss when he died, and especially the way he went downhill. It was sad that everybody thought he was on drugs or drunk when it was a neurological brain disease. Poor guy....

DannaMarie24 Guest

Dudley Moore

[SIZE=4]Glad you all enjoyed seeing the photo..I do have a close up where you can see the etched photo better.[/SIZE]
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Picture077.jpg
    [SIZE=4] If I remember correctly there was supose to be a "guest book" there for visitors to sign but when I was there it was long gone. Would have been nice to see if a few Hollywood friends had been there. [/SIZE]

Plentiful Guest
    Both photos are cool, Danna. Nice to see his grave.

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    Cool! Great entertainer.

Quote Originally Posted by DannaMarie24 View Post
    [SIZE=3]Hubby and I visited his grave last year in New Jersey. He has a beautiful head stone. It has an etched photo of him playing his piano on the beach. Here is the link if anyone wants to take a peek.[/SIZE]
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Picture079.jpg
    That is a really nice photo to have on his tomb stone... I loved Arthur.

Genevieve Guest
    Pete and Dud were magic together, so sad they had their demons and let us before there time. But at least they left a wonderful legacy, continuing to inspire satirists, musicians, comedians etc.

Dudley was born near where i use to live,,,use to return became ill & did fun raising events which was sweet of him...a very funny man!

I did find both pete & dud funny...but peter was a waste of talent. Funny & goodlooking...shame he wasted so much of his talent on alcohol

mommafreak Guest
    Arthur was and is a classic movie. Misses Dudley

knothere Guest
    thankx for the picx

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I hated Arthur. I love 10, though, it was the best.

Snoopy Guest
    I loved Dudley he was so talented! Arthur was a great movie even though I can't stand Liza!

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    His place in Marina Del Rey was so beautiful, looking out over the harbor and ocean. I remember a TV show he was in. He just sat in his bedroom and watched the beautiful sailboats go in and out. How could he be so sad?
    The longer I'm around, the more I become convinced that happiness is something that comes from the inside rather than something that our external circumstances help us to be.

I mean, everyone needs their Three Hots and a Cot, but beyond that? I'm just not sure what level of income and affluence is necessary to "achieve" happiness.

That being said, I hope the view from his bedroom helped cheer him up a little bit, anyway.

Metamucil: We help you go to the toilet so you won't get cancer and die- Crazy People. Great movie.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Genevieve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Moron View Post
    The longer I'm around, the more I become convinced that happiness is something that comes from the inside rather than something that our external circumstances help us to be.

I mean, everyone needs their Three Hots and a Cot, but beyond that? I'm just not sure what level of income and affluence is necessary to "achieve" happiness.

That being said, I hope the view from his bedroom helped cheer him up a little bit, anyway.
    Sorry a little off topic. In one of my favourite shows, "Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe" a programme about television, they did a bit where they advertise for member of the public to be on a made up show called "40 seconds of fame" where people get to perform for 40 seconds and then they decide who's best. It's a sort of investigation into X Factor-type shows. He asked the contestant "Can you think of a celebrity who seems happy to you?" and none of them could think of one. It really struck me, so often they grin and tell chirpy stories on chat shows, but do we believe them? Hell no. I don't believe for a second that Tom Cruise is ecstatically happy. And yet they're actors who are supposed to be able to convince us. Studies seem to suggest that happiness is gained from doing something worthwhile, working hard and loving it and that money doesn't buy you happiness. This maybe is a problem for actors, unless they get really precious and think "Yeah my talents are making the world a better place" they probably find they're paid a hell of a lot of money for doing very little and it's an empty kind of success if they don't feel they've earned it. I don't hate all actors or something I just think I can understand how they might get that way. Here's the clip anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq-jK8JjLcs

bluebear71 Guest
    dudley was a truly gifted person and i was very sorry to see him go.

beautygirlsmom Guest
    I can almost recite the movie Arthur. It was one of my first date movies, and it really opened up a place in my heart for Dudley Moore. He was talented on so many levels.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    Somehow, I just knew that the guy with the.....tentacles?.......dangling from his head was going to win that one as soon as I saw him. Maybe because he just stood out a mile. [shrugs]

And I liked the metaphor the presenter used for the TV/entertainment industries: "barn dance of arseholes." Truer word was never spoken, boy.

And I guess it's that sort of "lowering of the bar" that makes me appreciate perfomers like Dudley Moore: actor, comedian, and musician.

I'm left wondering how many of today's actors and actresses can even play the piano.

Genevieve Guest
    [QUOTE=ST Moron;14169]Somehow, I just knew that the guy with the.....tentacles?.......dangling from his head was going to win that one as soon as I saw him. Maybe because he just stood out a mile. [shrugs]

If you want me to use the technical terminology I think you'll find it's a pair of tights/pantyhose filled with small inflated balloons and stretched over the noggin. I know what you mean though somehow when you see him standing there you know this is the culmination of several years' dramatic training.

You're damn right about actors, I'd love to see some real all-round entertainers - but only so long as they're not big-headed stage school brats. God bless Dudley.

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    loved arthur

He was so funny in "Foul Play". Wasn't he married to Susan Anton?

Chevyheaven Guest
    The best movie he was in as far as I am concerned is 10 with Bo Derek.
    my first adult movie I saw. Arthur was good too.. but not the sequel.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    That is a great photo of his headstone.
    My thanks to you as well for posting it.

Ghoulie Girl

**Jenna** Guest
    I forgot he died. I liked him,Arthur is such a funny movie. And I like that Christopher Cross song from that show.

dirk diggler Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese View Post
    He was so funny in "Foul Play". Wasn't he married to Susan Anton?
    Yes he was I watched a doco on Duddles just the other night she spoke about their wedding night and Dudley being very nervous about taking his clothes off and insisting on turning the light out before getting under the covers then finally confessing to having a "Problem one umm club foot" she says she had no idea what that was and thought the worst but when Dud tentativley shows her she thought "Thats it thats the problem!" she said to her it was nothing more than one leg slightly shorter than the other...

Dudley Moore came into the Supermarket a couple of times that I used to work in about 10 years ago in North West London, UK and he was in a wheelchair and looked a shadow of his former self.

I didn't really get a good look at the woman who was pushing him around so am unsure if it was one of his four wives or just a carer of some sort.

I was a big fan of 'Derek and Clive' which was his comedy duo with Peter Cook and to see him coming to the end of his days wasn't nice at all.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Killing Floor View Post
    Dudley Moore came into the Supermarket a couple of times that I used to work in about 10 years ago in North West London, UK and he was in a wheelchair and looked a shadow of his former self.
    That is sad but interesting too, thanks for sharing that

frosty Guest
    He was a really talented guy, and a great musician to, loved him in 10 and the santa clause, in fact i might just watch that later! (we watch christmas movies year round here, weird i know!)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    He was a really talented guy, and a great musician to, loved him in 10 and the santa clause, in fact i might just watch that later! (we watch christmas movies year round here, weird i know!)
    That's kinda cosy - a break from the monotonies of life

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    He was hilarious in "Arthur". How sad the way he deteriorated....RIP
    Isn't that the truth?
    Dudley was so full of life and then he was so ill.
    Always a sad situation.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    He was hilarious in Arthur! Loved that movie. He was a great comedian too. It was heartbreaking to watch him slowly fade away the way he did. Such a shame. RIP Dudley

TallulahDahling Guest
    I loved him in "Crazy People" with Daryl Hannah. To this day that movie is one of my alltime favs!

burgtwngrl Guest
    My mother and I used to Watch Arthur and my mother was a pretty serious person when Dudley would laugh that silly laugh of his my mother would crack up everytime. i've loved Dudley ever since... was so sad when he died. Now I hope they are sharing a laugh in heaven.

it takes one hell of a man to make my mom crack up!!!!

John Connor Guest
    I can't say I'm too familiar with him though I remember as a kid he was a huge star. Usually played the drunken charmer, no?

TallulahDahling Guest
    That's him. But he was much, much MORE (no pun intended LOL)

He was an accomplished pianist and Tony winner and Academy Award nominee. RIP dahling.

I♥TinyTim Guest
    There were only a few celebrities I ever cried for when they passed away, and Dudley Moore was one of them.

Fell in love with him in "Arthur." He was so lovable in that movie. He also did a stand-up act with another guy (can't remember the name right now) and it was hilarious.

Here's another video and this video is really eerie because they are talking about the spinal cord, and the disease that killed Dudley Moore (progressive supranuclear palsy) attacks the spinal cord (as well as other parts of the brain).

RIP Dudley Moore.
    Last edited by I♥TinyTim; 04-19-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Northern Lights Guest
    Arthur was great movie. RIP Dudley

I liked Dudley Moore a lot. His romantic comedies were some of the best, because he wasn't some Hollywood "hunk." He played characters that us regular guys could relate to.