Thread: David Bloom

Belle Guest

David Bloom

David Bloom (May 22, 1963 – April 6, 2003) was an NBC journalist (co-anchor of Weekend Today and reporter) until his sudden death in 2003 at the age of 39.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloom.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	4157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloom1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	4158

Bloom was panned by some media critics for having portrayed the initial phases of the land invasion of Iraq as sterilized and bloodless. Some felt his reporting made the invasion seem like a glamorous and exciting adventure leaving out all the death and destruction that was occurring all around him. Still others gave him high marks for his down-to-earth and realistic coverage that helped viewers relate to what was happening, hour by hour.

He will be remembered for his creation of the "Bloom Mobile," an Army tank retrofitted by Miramar based company Maritime Telecommunications Network with live television and satellite transmission equipment so he could continuously broadcast reports as troops made their way toward Baghdad.

Death
    Bloom was traveling with the 3rd Infantry Division in Iraq when he suddenly died due to deep vein thrombosis and a pulmonary embolism. He was pronounced dead an hour later.

The David Bloom Award was established by the Radio & Television Association in 2006 to honor excellence in enterprise reporting. ABC World News Tonight co-anchor Bob Woodruff received the award in its first year.

Personal
    Bloom was a Roman Catholic. His funeral was held at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City.
    David considered his most passionate role the family man, and was survived by his wife, Melanie, and three daughters. The Blooms were residents of Pound Ridge, New York at the time of his death.

I got this from Wikipedia source beware

kelbons Guest
    I remember when he died... didn't they attribute the thrombosis to his being cramped in the tank for long periods of time?

I too remember when he died, and for a time there was a lot warnings about DVP, which can occur from sitting or laying abed all the time.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Belle Guest

Bloom's Last Letter to His Wife

David Bloom's Last Report

New York, NY - He was devoted to his wife and children, he was admired, he gave every ounce of his being for those whom he cared most about… not himself, but God and his family.

The night before David Bloom died of a pulmonary embolism, he sent his wife Melanie an e-mail that, in hindsight, seems to have foreshadowed his death. At his funeral April 16, 2003 at New York's St. Patrick’s Cathedral, David's brother John read the last message David sent home:

"I hope and pray all my guys get out of this in one piece, but I'll tell you, Mel, I am at peace. Here I am, supposedly at the peak of professional success, but I could, frankly, care less. It's nothing compared to my relationship with you and the girls and Jesus."

A recent convert to Catholicism, Bloom's religion played a central part in his life. He was worried about the safety of his crew and the troops with whom he traveled. He was also in constant discomfort, suffering from the extreme temperatures, sandstorms and from leg pain brought on by days and nights he spent in a cramped position in a tank. But in his last hours it was his family and God whom he thought about. A few miles from Baghdad, he sent his final battlefield dispatch to his three daughters and Melanie.

He did not know he was to die soon, nonetheless David told his family, “when the moment comes in my life when you are talking about my last days, I am determined that you and others will say ‘he was devoted to his wife and children, he was admired, he gave every ounce of his being for those whom he cared most about… not himself, but God and his family.’”

Although he was a competitive journalist, his family and Jesus meant more to Bloom than the biggest scoop, the highest rating, or most prestigious award. He was remembered by those who know him as a man who called everyone "Buddy" and as a genuinely nice guy.

Bloom was born in Edina, Minnesota and attended Pitzer College in Claremont, California where he was national debate champion. His battlefield broadcasts gave millions of viewers a soldier’s view of war.

Christian Activities

5. 03-04-2008, 12:27 PM

I remember receiving the news the morning of his passing. I believe his partner, Soledad O'Brien was there to announce his sudden death, and it was clear that she was still in a state of shock and teary-eyed. I remember it as clear as the JFK Jr plane gone missing, and I felt that any time I turned on the news I never knew what to expect anymore, starting with JFK Jr, then 9/11 and then David Bloom. Thankfully things seemed to calm down for a while, until Anna Nicole and Heath Ledger made the headlines, and the last one being Michael Jackson. I hope we have lots more calm for a while...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!