Page 1 of 22 12310 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 1069

Thread: Darlie Routier

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    philadelphia, pa
    Posts
    299

    Darlie Routier

    I have just seen this on Court TV (truTV) and also on a 'Women on Death Row' special.

    This woman has been put on death row in TX. 2 of her 3 children had been murdered while her husband and 3rd child were asleep upstairs. She had tremendous bruises and wounds (including a slashed throat and defensive wounds on her hands). No other suspects were looked at. She was arrested quickly and sent to trial. The crime scene was not investigated properly - bloody fingerprints were not analyzed, bloody evidence was all thrown together in one box. A hair found on a cut screen (how Darlie believed the intruder got in) was later linked to a woman police officer who hadn't even been in the house, which had originally been called Darlie's. The jury was not presented with all evidence. The cops illegally filmed Darlie & her family while at the gravesite of her children (something to do with violating a wiretapping law since they were recording voices as well I think).

    This case just does not make sense at all. She has this bruise:

    that in itself I have on clue how you can self inflict that? Any one have any ideas?

    I could go on forever about this case. Check it out here:
    http://www.fordarlieroutier.org/
    If you think she's innocent there is also a petition to sign.

    There are too many discrepancies and I have yet to hear any type of motive. If she didn't like her children, why not kill all 3? The stenographer also made something like 3,300 mistakes in the transcript including messing up answers "YES" and "NO" which totally changes the testimonies.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    801
    I don't know!!! I did see the taping of the birthday celebration she and family had at the graves. I don't think that celebration is proof of her guilt, and the police made a great deal of that party. Again, I have seen her story several times and I just don't know.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    philadelphia, pa
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    I don't know!!! I did see the taping of the birthday celebration she and family had at the graves. I don't think that celebration is proof of her guilt, and the police made a great deal of that party. Again, I have seen her story several times and I just don't know.
    The birthday party confuses me too.. well how the police can made a big deal of it like you said. It was his birthday, why not try to be happy? I don't know what the big deal was.. Did you also see the part before the celebration where they had a 2 hour sermon? I think they might not have admitted that into evidence because that was the illegally taped part, but they did show clips of it on TV.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    bluegrass state
    Posts
    2,768
    I have seen and read some on this case, and my opinion is that she did it. She wasn't grieving at all. She reminded me of Scott Peterson the way she acted. I don't feel like any of the wounds could not have been self inflicted. I understand totally the questions you have, but there are unanswered questions in every case.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    philadelphia, pa
    Posts
    299
    I believe that people grieve in different ways. This year I'm taking a Loss & Grief course in college and there have been many different ways of grieving that we have learned about and that some people don't openly grieve or some feel like they are just feeling sorry for themselves so they don't repress their grief. That's another reason why I'm not 110% positive that she is innocent or guilty -- either she wasn't grieving at all or her type of grieving was not socially acceptable.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,142
    I think she is guilty! There seemed to be lots of evidence pointing to that! But Im no expert!

    She also reminded me of the other mother who killed her two children and said they were carjacked by black men! Cant recall her name! But the children were found in the car in the bottom of a lake.

    Poor little innocents!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 03-01-2008 at 04:20 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    250
    I have seen the website above and have read a lot about her guilt vs her innocence. To be honest, I think there are very valid points on both accounts. I think there is a lot of evidence that she did it, and a lot of evidence showing she didn't. I just can't decide which side I'm on here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    anything is possible. cons will do anything to beat due process of law. let the jury decide. just look at her eyes. the eyes tell me a lot.
    pull the string!

  9. #9
    Guest Guest
    my in laws celebrate their baby's birthday every year since his death in Dec 2006...his 3rd birthday would have been last February 25th...he died of cancer...just because they celebrate it does that mean they are happy he is dead? I don't buy into this theory that because the FAMILY gathered to acknowledge his birthday that meant she was guilty and happy her children were dead...people acknowledge late loved ones birthdays all the time...my dad died 5 plus years ago...I acknowledge his birthday and my brothers and I send my mother flowers on their anniversary...it's something that people do...there was a lot not done correctly with this case...fingerprints that were not submitted to the defense...I don't think there was some conspiracy to frame this woman...what I do think is that you had an investigation that was flawed from the beginning and law enforcement didn't want to admit to mistakes that they made...much easier to just pin it on the survivor...why not pin it on the husband then? She is covered with injuries that are inconsistent with self infliction...that has been proven by the defense and the prosecution couldn't show how she could have inflicted these wounds...also...it makes no sense at all...why kill two children and not the 3rd or even her husband too?

    what was the motive? she was sick of her children? were there huge life insurance policies on these boys? but not the baby? not the husband?

    she deserves to have this evidence looked at...fingerprints in blood not belonging to any family member..then how did they get there? either the source put them there or she somehow faked fingerprints? or the cops did?
    this was a horrible horrific crime...and I do not believe she committed it..what I do think is that you had a team of investigators that were flawed and made huge mistakes in processing that crime scene and they just don't want to admit it

    silly string at the cemetery??? give me a break! then I guess people shouldn't bring stuffed animals or balloons to their loved one's graves anymore or they too will be labeled as not caring and not grieving...losing a child is the worst...to lose two children to murder...is unimaginable...I don't know what I would do or wouldn't do...neither does anyone else until they go through it...my in laws were in a state of total disbelief and shock when their baby died...he had been doing so well...then 4 days before his death they were told the cancer had spread to his brain and he wouldn't make it to Christmas...he died on Christmas Eve morning...they had 4 days to prepare...and for the next 5-6 months they were "strong" giving comfort to others in the family...then it hit them...he's not coming back...he's gone...he's in the ground...their family has a piece missing...my sis in law had a nervous breakdown and tried to kill herself...my bro in law dumped himself into a bottle...but for those few months we all worried because they were being so stoic...thankfully they got into a parents support group and are doing so much better but they still mourn...and...they still acknowledge him at Christmas and every birthday...should they just not open presents on Christmas...take it away from their surviving child...not live? cry 24/7? They have their moments of deep sadness...and I believe Darlie does too...because she didn't kill her children....the person that did is still out there and has probably killed others...and maybe if law enforcement would have done the job right the first time around that person could have been caught...here's an opportunity to check...to verify whether another person was indeed responsible for those prints and hair found and it won't hurt anyone for them to review it...if it shows that there is no way it came from her or anyone else in that home...and lets say they discover they belong to some other known killer...what should they say to Darlie then? "ahhhh sorry but you played with silly string so we just knew you had to be guilty" give me a break!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    I think she is guilty! There seemed to be lots of evidence pointing to that! But Im no expert!

    She also reminded me of the other mother who killed her two children and said they were carjacked by black men! Cant recall her name! But the children were found in the car in the bottom of a lake.

    Poor little innocents!
    Susan Smith

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,666
    I remember reading about this case when it happened, I think it was even on A&E at some point, I am still not sure of her innocence/guilt, there are alot of unanswered questions.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    philadelphia, pa
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    my in laws celebrate their baby's birthday every year since his death in Dec 2006...his 3rd birthday would have been last February 25th...he died of cancer...just because they celebrate it does that mean they are happy he is dead? I don't buy into this theory that because the FAMILY gathered to acknowledge his birthday that meant she was guilty and happy her children were dead...people acknowledge late loved ones birthdays all the time...my dad died 5 plus years ago...I acknowledge his birthday and my brothers and I send my mother flowers on their anniversary...it's something that people do...there was a lot not done correctly with this case...fingerprints that were not submitted to the defense...I don't think there was some conspiracy to frame this woman...what I do think is that you had an investigation that was flawed from the beginning and law enforcement didn't want to admit to mistakes that they made...much easier to just pin it on the survivor...why not pin it on the husband then? She is covered with injuries that are inconsistent with self infliction...that has been proven by the defense and the prosecution couldn't show how she could have inflicted these wounds...also...it makes no sense at all...why kill two children and not the 3rd or even her husband too?

    what was the motive? she was sick of her children? were there huge life insurance policies on these boys? but not the baby? not the husband?

    she deserves to have this evidence looked at...fingerprints in blood not belonging to any family member..then how did they get there? either the source put them there or she somehow faked fingerprints? or the cops did?
    this was a horrible horrific crime...and I do not believe she committed it..what I do think is that you had a team of investigators that were flawed and made huge mistakes in processing that crime scene and they just don't want to admit it

    silly string at the cemetery??? give me a break! then I guess people shouldn't bring stuffed animals or balloons to their loved one's graves anymore or they too will be labeled as not caring and not grieving...losing a child is the worst...to lose two children to murder...is unimaginable...I don't know what I would do or wouldn't do...neither does anyone else until they go through it...my in laws were in a state of total disbelief and shock when their baby died...he had been doing so well...then 4 days before his death they were told the cancer had spread to his brain and he wouldn't make it to Christmas...he died on Christmas Eve morning...they had 4 days to prepare...and for the next 5-6 months they were "strong" giving comfort to others in the family...then it hit them...he's not coming back...he's gone...he's in the ground...their family has a piece missing...my sis in law had a nervous breakdown and tried to kill herself...my bro in law dumped himself into a bottle...but for those few months we all worried because they were being so stoic...thankfully they got into a parents support group and are doing so much better but they still mourn...and...they still acknowledge him at Christmas and every birthday...should they just not open presents on Christmas...take it away from their surviving child...not live? cry 24/7? They have their moments of deep sadness...and I believe Darlie does too...because she didn't kill her children....the person that did is still out there and has probably killed others...and maybe if law enforcement would have done the job right the first time around that person could have been caught...here's an opportunity to check...to verify whether another person was indeed responsible for those prints and hair found and it won't hurt anyone for them to review it...if it shows that there is no way it came from her or anyone else in that home...and lets say they discover they belong to some other known killer...what should they say to Darlie then? "ahhhh sorry but you played with silly string so we just knew you had to be guilty" give me a break!
    well said. sorry to hear about the death of the baby. that's the worst news.

    i too think that TX is afraid to admit their mistakes. even if she is guilty, there were wayyy to many flaws in the case for it to be a fair trial. she should at least be granted another one and if they find her guilty then so be it. but i think that it would be more embarrassing for TX to put to death someone who is innocent rather than to admit they made a mistake. on the tv, they said that about an hour before her one re-trial or something that she was getting another hearing for, the judge canceled the whole thing. its a shame. at least give her a fair trial. there were people pleading the 5th all throughout that case. including the court stenographer -- i think she purposely messedup the transcripts because she believed she was guilty. thats the sad part when the media gets involved i guess. everyone forms opinions before the trial takes place.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,498
    I believe the husband had SOMETHING to do with this--- His business wasn't doing so well, their expenses were high, he and Darlie weren't getting long... But I don't believe the boys were the targets, as there wasn't that much insurance on them and it was spent on the funerals. It might be that Darlie was the target, but whoever committed the murders didn't know the boys would be downstairs, and well, kids DO get in the way of the "perfect crime"... And by the time they were attacked, Darlie was able to wake up and put up a fight, and maybe it was all just too much for the killer who didn't expect to open the evening with stabbing little boys. Time to leave without finishing the job, though that dropped sock seemed phoney and planted.

    That much having been said, though, Darlie's interviews since her conviction have NOT been impressive or convincing of her lack of blame.... She still has an air of guileful immaturity that has, no doubt, turned off many a potential supporter. One just wants to shake her until her teeth rattle and yell at her to GROW UP AND SOUND LIKE AN ADULT, YOU CLUELESS TWIT! No wonder it is believed that she killed her sons out of some misplaced sense of vanity--- though making a terrible mess in her perfect house and giving herself a big scar in an obvious place doesn't seem to fit in with vanity.

    And as for differences in expressing grief, there's a world of difference between acknowledging and honoring the deceased's birthday, celebrating his/her life with some dignity, and acting in public like an air-headed, gum-chewing ninny who ought to have KNOWN she would be scrutinized and judged. I've lived long enough to have known several mothers who lost children (including my own) and to my knowledge, NONE of them has ever done anything like that.

    Still, nobody deserves to be executed just for being an air-headed, gum-chewing ninny behaving inappropriately at a gravesite, no matter how annoying he or she may appear. If the trial was as flawed as you say, perhaps a new one is in order, though second trials frequently bring on the same verdicts, and then people will complain about the money spent. And the African-Americans will complain that a white middle-class woman got extra consideration. Etc. Etc.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    I believe the husband had SOMETHING to do with this--- His business wasn't doing so well, their expenses were high, he and Darlie weren't getting long... But I don't believe the boys were the targets, as there wasn't that much insurance on them and it was spent on the funerals. It might be that Darlie was the target, but whoever committed the murders didn't know the boys would be downstairs, and well, kids DO get in the way of the "perfect crime"... And by the time they were attacked, Darlie was able to wake up and put up a fight, and maybe it was all just too much for the killer who didn't expect to open the evening with stabbing little boys. Time to leave without finishing the job, though that dropped sock seemed phoney and planted.

    That much having been said, though, Darlie's interviews since her conviction have NOT been impressive or convincing of her lack of blame.... She still has an air of guileful immaturity that has, no doubt, turned off many a potential supporter. One just wants to shake her until her teeth rattle and yell at her to GROW UP AND SOUND LIKE AN ADULT, YOU CLUELESS TWIT! No wonder it is believed that she killed her sons out of some misplaced sense of vanity--- though making a terrible mess in her perfect house and giving herself a big scar in an obvious place doesn't seem to fit in with vanity.

    And as for differences in expressing grief, there's a world of difference between acknowledging and honoring the deceased's birthday, celebrating his/her life with some dignity, and acting in public like an air-headed, gum-chewing ninny who ought to have KNOWN she would be scrutinized and judged. I've lived long enough to have known several mothers who lost children (including my own) and to my knowledge, NONE of them has ever done anything like that.

    Still, nobody deserves to be executed just for being an air-headed, gum-chewing ninny behaving inappropriately at a gravesite, no matter how annoying he or she may appear. If the trial was as flawed as you say, perhaps a new one is in order, though second trials frequently bring on the same verdicts, and then people will complain about the money spent. And the African-Americans will complain that a white middle-class woman got extra consideration. Etc. Etc.

    The husband also was soliciting people to break into their home for that insurance scam. Who knows the shady people he talked to. Ive read both sides of this story also, and im on the fence. There was a palm print, somewhere, that was supposed to be the intruders, and it was shown to be that of a female (read that on a against darlie wesite, ill link.) But i also see the, " why not kill all 3 children?"

    http://www.geocities.com/starkman14/Darlie1.html

    and then the for site i went was the one already linked.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    I have read a lot about this case, and I have yet to make up my mind. She is actually housed less than 20 miles from here.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,162
    I saw something about this on Dateline or 20/20- I remember the silly string video. The whole thing sounds fishy to me- I think there needs to be a new investigation- there are just too many holes.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

    RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,487
    I'm surprised that she hasn't been granted another trial by the Supreme Court. It seems like it would be an easily winable appeal. I've read a book on this case and I've watched some crime shows on it. The cut to her throat is what really does it for me towards her innocense. If she had inflicted that wound, there would have been hesitation marks. That cut is a single slash. Also the angle of the cut. It seems that it would be impossible to inflict a wound of that angle to yourself.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    philadelphia, pa
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    I'm surprised that she hasn't been granted another trial by the Supreme Court. It seems like it would be an easily winable appeal. I've read a book on this case and I've watched some crime shows on it. The cut to her throat is what really does it for me towards her innocense. If she had inflicted that wound, there would have been hesitation marks. That cut is a single slash. Also the angle of the cut. It seems that it would be impossible to inflict a wound of that angle to yourself.
    good point about the hesitation marks.. i also think if she wanted to have self inflicting wounds they wouldnt be so life threatening. i mean, the throat slash could've been fatal if it was deeper or in a different spot, and if she wanted to cut herself, i think she wouldve chosen different places. maybe not though but just a thought..

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,125
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyk View Post
    The birthday party confuses me too.. well how the police can made a big deal of it like you said. It was his birthday, why not try to be happy? I don't know what the big deal was.. Did you also see the part before the celebration where they had a 2 hour sermon? I think they might not have admitted that into evidence because that was the illegally taped part, but they did show clips of it on TV.

    i WISH i COULD FIND A COPY of the whole tape. They only showed the party not the whole tape . The first part showed her crying and really in pain but the court tv aholes only relseased and edited version

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,125
    And as for differences in expressing grief, there's a world of difference between acknowledging and honoring the deceased's birthday, celebrating his/her life with some dignity, and acting in public like an air-headed, gum-chewing ninny who ought to have KNOWN she would be scrutinized and judged. I've lived long enough to have known several mothers who lost children (including my own) and to my knowledge, NONE of them has ever done anything like that.

    Still, nobody deserves to be executed just for being an air-headed, gum-chewing ninny behaving inappropriately at a gravesite, no matter how annoying he or she may appear. If the trial was as flawed as you say, perhaps a new one is in order, though second trials frequently bring on the same verdicts, and then people will complain about the money spent. And the African-Americans will complain that a white middle-class woman got extra consideration. Etc. Etc.


    Wow I am going to have to tell my children not to celebrate their mothers birthday in the open. No more silly string no more playing her favorite music. As I certainly wouldn't want them to look illbred and gum chewing ninnys. I for one think it was a nice party and too bad they did notshow her crying in the FIRST part of that film. I used to go read at my Dad's grave . My daughter wanted cremation and a last ride on a Harley I guess that really makes us different from the norm. There were no scenes at her wake and service her friends all spoke about their freindship and made some good jokes. We all suffer our loss but in different ways and to criticize this woman for having a party for her children just makes no sense and for the courts to use this against her sucks and shows how bias the court system is. What is good for some may not be right or good for others. I think she is quite innocent and was found guilty by narrow minded people who read the papers and listened to court tv.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    5,181
    Anybody consider a Munchhausen by Proxy angle on this? It's possible that this woman wanted to hurt her children in order to feed her own need for attention and pity.

    I have a hard time believing that she did her own injuries but I have to also agree that all things considered, something is not quite right. I couldn't have put her on death row, that's for sure, having as much doubt both ways as I do.
    .
    .
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

  22. #22
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Anybody consider a Munchhausen by Proxy angle on this? It's possible that this woman wanted to hurt her children in order to feed her own need for attention and pity.

    I have a hard time believing that she did her own injuries but I have to also agree that all things considered, something is not quite right. I couldn't have put her on death row, that's for sure, having as much doubt both ways as I do.
    Problem with that theory is there is no none history of it....every expert states that there always is a history of "illnesses" and "injuries" prior to a deathly event

    I don't get that with this case...there is tons of evidence that was ignored in the first trial..numerous state witnesses that pled the 5th and issues with the stenographer, she alone made over 3000 mistakes in the court transcripts..I've been going back and forth to this case for years and have just read up all the new evidence they have or I should say old evidence that has been discovered...this woman deserves a new trial..seriously

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    5,181
    I agree, I've read a bit earlier today. I'm always in favor of another check into these things. Good point about the non-priors or any other suspicious treatment of the kids

    There's something there, it's not just as simple as she didn't or did not do it. There was definitely something else going on...
    .
    .
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    I think a ton of judgement was rather on her as a person rather that eveidence and what really happend....I agree , she acted annoying with that whining voice and her gum chewing...also the silly string thing was a bit off..I agree everyone grieves in their own way. Myself I think she is guilty, thats just me though. I do agree though they did not do a very detailed investigation, and also they had made their minds up early onto the investigation. Texas is not known for there oops we made a mistake mentality at all.....

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    But she acted weird you guys!!! I dunno man..I youtubed her name and of course the sillystring video cmae up and rewatching that makes me think she looks so happy they are dead! Its weird!! I know we all grieve in differant ways but there is no way could do something like that so soon after such a horrific event!! Thats just me though!!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    14
    I read the book about this case and have read numerous things about it. She DEFINITELY did it, but the innocence of the husband leaves something to be questioned. The motive was suppose to be life insurance as both she and darren had become accustomed to a lavish lifestyle that was quickly running out of money.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    I also read that Darrin was talking about her fake tits to the cops the night it happend and Darlie was also very nervouse they would find their sex toys...wouldent that be the furthest thing from your mind?? Its like the silly string thing....wouldent a celebration of any kind be too soon after such a horriffic event! One you yourself were injured in and your babie was butchered!! I would have been on the ohone to John Walsh!!!! I would have been leading my one woman campaing to FIND THE REAL KILLER.....not have a god damn silly string party!! I know allot of you think she is innocent so Im sorry to oofend you....ut I dont know..if your a mother rewatch the silly string video....if your a mother ....even if you are not....Tell me it dosent make yout stomache kind of turn....it dose mine.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,776
    This is one of the few cases I've actually been on the fence about. At one point, I did a lot of research and even have a bunch of notes about it. (Crime hag geek.)

    Here are my thoughts about it. (I know you all want to know.)

    ~Darlie and Darin were having financial problems. Not insurmountable, but living beyond their means, and they didn't seem willing to scale back their lifestyle.
    ~Darlie reportedly had little patience with the children and liked to turn them out for nice pictures, but allegedly was something of a shrew behind closed doors.
    ~Rumors of infiedelity on both sides.
    ~Darlie suffered post partum depression. She took diet pills to lose weight after the birth of Drake. Allegedly, both Rx and over the counter and a lot of them.
    ~Their barky dog never barked.
    ~The kitchen was cleaned on the surface, but testing revealed blood.
    ~Very personal attack. Stabbing is up close and dirty, not easy like a gunshot. Lots of anger/rage in those wounds.
    ~Part of the deal with her defense was to never reveal anything found that might point to Darin.
    ~The insurance scam Darin was looking for.

    These are only my thoughts. I do think it merits another trial, because there were so many mistakes, but I think she's guilty. I think either Darin wounded her, and it went much farther than plannned, or whoever he hired for the insurance scam did. I think it was an inside job.

    If the infamous bushy haired stranger did it, after all these years, I think someone would have ratted something out by now.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    783
    And i thought i read somewhere, in the beginning, a doctor testified the injuries on her body did have hesitation marks? If so, is that one of the arguements that they are fighting against now?

    I dont see how see got those huge bruises on her body. and to a point I understand the graveyard party with the silly string. Wasnt the silly string something the 2 boys loved to play with and would spray it on eachother alot? So to memorate her boys, to have a silly string party is no biggie, but ya a little annoying with the gum chomping and littlle girl voice.

    There are so many things that are wrong with this, its hard to go either way. Just when I think, yep she's guilty, somthing else comes up that makes me think twice.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,776
    I should amend my post above where I said I think she's guilty. I think she's guilty today.

    That could change tomorrow because like a lot of the rest of you, I just don't know.

    Like her injuries. I can buy the hesitation marks but how would she bruise her arm like that? Unless Darin helped her?

    I tend to think that only Darlie and Darin know what happened in that house that night and they aren't going to tell.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,281
    The thing that got me was the broken glass. I believe she claimed that she or the intruder broke a glass during a struggle which is why she bled into the sink. The problem with that is that her blood was found ON TOP OF the shards of glass; ie the scene was staged as she broke the glass THEN cut herself. It's been a long time since I read the book, so don't quote me word for word.

    I think she did it. I don't think the husband participated, but I think he knows what happened.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    And the silly sting thing yeah, okay not a big deal to some but to me as I have said before....I just cannot get over the way she walked out there with this shit eating grin on her face, chewing gum no less and in shorts( not mourning ) and she like HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We all grieve differant for sure, but thats beyond bad taste!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    anyone have crime scene pics??

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    I vote guilty as well. I think they were in on it together, or she snapped, and they tried to make it the perfect crime.

    What I always wondered was why so brutally murder those two babies, and leave her with a stab wound, and a perfectly fine man upstairs. Makes no sense to me. The husband didn't even try to hide. He says he slept through the whole thing.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    I know I dont get that as well!!

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    The silly string birthday thing made me mad, and sick at my stomach. My dad died two weeks before my birthday, and we barely even mentioned my birthday, because I was not in the mood. We sure as hell were not smiling, and we weren't being investigated. She knew the cops were not believing her story. She had been questioned many times, between the time it happened, and that silly string day.

    I know we all grieve in different ways, but mommies who have lost their babies in such a horrible way, do not smile after the deaths, and some never smile again.

    If it had been years since the death, maybe, but she had just lost them.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    Thats what I keep saying..if you have ver lost someoen close then you know your not thinking of goddamn silly string parties......laughter..nothing!! Maybe if it had been years like you say...

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    I believe that on the silly string day, she thought she was going to get away with it. That was why she was smiling.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On this forum, obviously!
    Posts
    4,259
    I had never heard of her, so (naturally) I did some research this afternoon. I see all kinds of evidence that she did it, but seemingly speculation that she didn't. I listened to the 911 call, and frankly, to me, it seemed very contrived. I read where Dr. Vincent DiMiao claimed that the knife wound missed her artery by mere millimeters, but after seeing that idiot on the stand at the Spector trial, that leads me to believe more in her guilt than innocence. I also can't understand why the police, investigators, prosecuters, even the mayor would deem it necessary to "frame" her. What's she got on all of them that they need her out of the way? And the whole defense thing about "defend her but only if it doesn't implicate the husband"? What's that about? My husband would gladly sit on death row if it meant I wouldn't. Nope, too many things just don't add up. So far, I'm leaning towards guilty. Someone please prove me wrong - Mrs. Watson? You've done way more reasearch than me. I would love to hear your take on why you are straddling the fence.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,776
    Let me hose off the child, err, give her a bath and I'll be back at you.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,776
    Pointing toward guilt: Motive. Who else had a motive to kill those boys? And only the boys and harming Darlie? Darin was uninjured, as was the baby, Drake.

    Pointing toward innocence: Motive. Why would she kill them? What was she gaining by their deaths? The expenses and demands of the two older boys? Did she regret having them, a reminder of the downward spiral her marriage had gone through, while the baby was hope for the future?

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    philadelphia, pa
    Posts
    299
    another thing to add.. her sister was the one who brought the silly string to the cemetary. on the video the cops have you hear her say 'dar i brought silly string' or something like that. i saw it on tv.

    i didnt know anything about the husband really before reading the info others posted. i did find it weird that he didnt even wake up if people were being murdered downstairs. usually the spouse is the first one investigated, no?
    i guess i'm on the fence too. but either way i think she still deserves a new trial because hers seems to have been unfair, although if she had some strange deal with her DA to not incriminate her husband in any way then who knows..

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,776
    The deal about Darin was with her own defense; if they uncovered anything that could have implicated Darin, they were not allowed to present that to defend Darlie. Darin just makes me very very hinky about it. He was sleeping in their room with a baby who was pretty young. I know when my children were that small, it didn't take much to wake me up, no matter how tired I was. I think the crib was even in their room, not 100% certain of that. Will have to check.

    That stinks to high heaven, to me.

    The forensic evidence, I take with a big grain of salt because the scene was so contaminated.

    The 911 call sounds very forced.

    The silly string thing, I think, is nothing more than stupidity. They did have a memorial service before, but knowing she was under suspicion, why on earth would you behave like that? Just dumb.

    The house wasn't trashed like you would expect. Some stuff knocked around, but no major ransacking. Her jewelry was still in plain sight on the counter.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    I have followed this case and I have to say, I reached the opinion that Darlie Routier is guilty.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Since when does the defendant get to wheel and deal with what is turned up in the evidence.

    For the record for those of you searching for details. Darlie was not just thrown into jail and forgotten. She has had several appeals, and no one has been impressed enough to give a re-trial.

    I have a friend who works in the prison library, and she says that she is one mean person, who concentrates on herself, and says very little about the boys. She says that most new staff, and inmates don't even know she has three boys, until someone else mentions it.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    I have also been doing some research tonight. So much I had forgotten. I found this, and it sums it up pretty good with what I feel.

    If Ms. Routier didn't commit this crime, what a fortunate assailant there must be running around this desolate Texas neighborhood. He goes in and brutally murders two children. He slashes their mother's throat as they're struggling face to face. He drops the knife and she wipes off his prints. He runs away, but leaves Darlie alive - the one woman who could identify him, and send him to the gas chamber. Then, d'oh, she gets amnesia and can't remember what he looks like. This must be the luckiest goddamn child killer in the universe.
    Four days after being videotaped with Silly String, Darlie Routier was arrested and charged with double murder. She was found guilty, and today she sits on death row.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7

    Darlie Routier

    I have followed this case for years and have read all 4 books published on the case and feel, without a doubt, that Darlie did not do this. The cut to her throat came within mm of killing her. She is right handed and the cut was made by a left handed person. The evidence was contaminated. The first officer to arrive was afraid and was hesitant about going into the home. I also read somewhere that he passed someone on his way into the residence that he thought was Darrin, yet Darrin was in the house trying to save his son! There is also rumor that the son of one of the investigators or police chief was suspected but he was protected due to his father's connections.

    All of Darlie's appeals have been denied and take longer than any other appeals in the system. Then there is the who court transcript fiasco! That alone should have gotten her a new trial anywhere else, but not in Texas.

    If she is guilty and the Texas authorities are so sure about it, give her another trial. . .a fair trial . . .and see what the outcome is.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    philadelphia, pa
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    This must be the luckiest goddamn child killer in the universe.
    LOL

    good point... there seems no motive for an additional person to come in to kill anyone in the house without stealing anything. and s/he would be a pretty careless killer for not knowing there were 2 other people upstairs who might hear him/her.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    Who else would benifit from killing her kids?? I think she loved being the center of attention..and this was another way of doing so.....

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On this forum, obviously!
    Posts
    4,259
    Dang, I still don't know. Here are some rambling thoughts so I can put this in some order...

    Guilty -

    1. Some man comes in your house, kills the kids, wounds you, and leaves you as a witness (knowing you weren't dead because you chased him out of the house) and doesn't take anything. Why even break in? What was the purpose there?

    2. Same dude tries to rape you, but fails because of your fighting. If you're asleep on the couch and he has already straddled you, he has the knife, but you put up such a great fight, he gets scared and runs off. Hmmm....

    3. I still say the 911 call sounds contrived.

    4. Any killer would know to get the adult out of the way first. They're the ones that are strongest and could testify against you should something go wrong.

    5. Darin has already confessed to trying to hire someone to break in and rob the place to collect on insurance because they were living way beyond their means.

    6. All this goes on and the husband is asleep and doesn't wake up until AFTER you chased the big bad man out of the house.

    7. Dog doesn't bark or carry on until the police get there. I've been around poms, if you can sleep through that shrill little bark, then you must be in a coma.

    8. Do you keep your garage door unlocked at night? I read all about the cut screen in the garage window, but haven't heard anything about how he got into the house from the garage.

    Not Guilty -

    1. That bruise on the arm freaks me out. I can't believe anyone could do that to themselves.

    2. A couple of fingerprints that can't be explained - they don't seem to belong to anyone in the house.

    3. What's the possible motive? Insurance? I read that each kid had $5G on them, but it would probably take that to bury them.

    4. Seems suspicious to me that she had just told Darin that she wanted a separation that very night.

    I'm still pointing to guilty, but I do think there are enough questions to consider another trial. I do find it interesting; however, about what Gramma said. She's been denied appeals? That's illegal. How can this happen? What kind of nutjob attorney does she have? I still have a hard time believing that all of these people conspired against her - everyone from police to judges.

    BTW - the Silly String thing doesn't bother me. People grieve differently. After all, the same thing could be said when all those family and friends stripped down to their skivvies and swam in the ocean after Ledger's funeral. I don't get it, but they didn't ask my opinion.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •