Thread: David Meirhofer

David Meirhofer

David Meirhofer was a serial killer who committed four murders in rural Montana between 1966 and 1974. At the time, the Federal Bureau of Investigation was developing a new method of tracking killers called offender profiling, and Meirhofer was the first serial killer to be caught using the technique. Offender profiling is a method used to learn clues about the characteristics of an unknown killer from evidence at the scene of the crime.

Among his victims was seven-year-old Susan Jaeger, who was taken from her tent at night during a family camping trip. The kidnapper left no ransom request and no physical evidence. However, the psychological profiling technique, which was first used in this case, was employed about a year after the kidnapping. The technique led investigators to suspect that the kidnapper was a young, white male who killed for sexual gratification and may have kept body parts of victims as "souvenirs". Further, they believed that the killer may have been arrested for other crimes.

Meirhofer was 23 years old at the time and already suspected in another murder. He denied the charges. Meirhofter placed a telephone call to Marietta Jaeger, the mother of Susan Jaeger, a year after the kidnapping, and she obtained enough information to help the FBI track him down.

When police searched his house, they found body parts of victims.
    Meirhofer had killed Suzie Jaeger, two boys, and a woman. In September 1974, he confessed to having kidnapped the woman, Sandra Dykman Smallegan, in her sleep during February of that same year. Smallegan had once dated Meirhofer but had ended the relationship.

Meirhofer committed suicide in jail, hours after confessing to the murders.

I saw this story on 20/20 last night... the story was about Susan Jaeger (the little girl abducted from her tent as she slept). I found it so interesting how they introduced "Offender Profiling" with this case and how it proved to work so well. The above paragraph doesn't do the detectives work any justice as they really pinpointed exactly why this guy did what he did, what kind of background he must have had to do the crime as diligently as he did it, and also predicted how he would eventually call the mother of Susan Jaeger (as a way to empower what he did and toy with the mother). Exactly one year to the day and time Susan was abducted the phone rang, and it was David. I felt so bad for this mother and she handled the whole ordeal so well... she even went to the killers grave with his parents and placed flowers I guess as a way of saying she forgave him and moving on? anyway, if you happen to catch this one or want to look it up... it's an interesting/sad story.
    Last edited by Jason; 02-29-2008 at 07:20 AM.

smooches27 Guest
    I actually have to do a paper on this for school. It is a facsinating story. The dective do deserve a huge amount of credit. Great post Jason!!

Quote Originally Posted by smooches27 View Post
    I actually have to do a paper on this for school. It is a facsinating story. The dective do deserve a huge amount of credit. Great post Jason!!
    Yeah I was very impressed... they knew this guy had:

Military experience (by the way he cut a whole in Susan's tent and abducted her without anybody hearing a sound.. her sister was sleeping right next to her)

That he had trouble with women by the fact he abducted a little girl

That he was a local by the way he knew how to escape without leaving a trace

That he would call the family eventually (as a way to brag and feel important) so they had a tape recorder set up for a year waiting.

They figured out he called the family cutting into somebody else's phone line (so they knew he had experience with servicing telephones either in the Military or out of it) turned out David was a Vietnam veteran who in fact fixed phone lines during his duties.

What actually screwed David in the end were his own words on the tape recorder... he said something to the mother that basically meant he was already interrogated but let go. So now the FBI knew they already checked this guy out and narrowed down the search... the one thing that slowed them down though was the phone trace didn't take. By that time Susan was already dead and they caught him anyway so it didn't really make a difference.
    Last edited by Jason; 02-29-2008 at 07:43 AM.

smooches27 Guest
    Wow, I'm looking forward to getting started on my paper. This case makes me more excited of the field I'm going into.

Lisamarie Guest
    Whats with these assholes who hurt children I think there must be a special hell for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Whats with these assholes who hurt children I think there must be a special hell for them.
    Children can't fight back. To a weak, sexually deprived man that's the easiest way to fulfill their cravings.

I think they go to "Hell: The Collectors Edition" when they die.

Lisamarie Guest
    Heard that...amen brotha

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    David Meirhofer was a serial killer who committed four murders in rural Montana between 1966 and 1974. At the time, the Federal Bureau of Investigation was developing a new method of tracking killers called offender profiling, and Meirhofer was the first serial killer to be caught using the technique. Offender profiling is a method used to learn clues about the characteristics of an unknown killer from evidence at the scene of the crime.

Among his victims was seven-year-old Susan Jaeger, who was taken from her tent at night during a family camping trip. The kidnapper left no ransom request and no physical evidence. However, the psychological profiling technique, which was first used in this case, was employed about a year after the kidnapping. The technique led investigators to suspect that the kidnapper was a young, white male who killed for sexual gratification and may have kept body parts of victims as "souvenirs". Further, they believed that the killer may have been arrested for other crimes.

Meirhofer was 23 years old at the time and already suspected in another murder. He denied the charges. Meirhofter placed a telephone call to Marietta Jaeger, the mother of Susan Jaeger, a year after the kidnapping, and she obtained enough information to help the FBI track him down.

When police searched his house, they found body parts of victims.
    Meirhofer had killed Suzie Jaeger, two boys, and a woman. In September 1974, he confessed to having kidnapped the woman, Sandra Dykman Smallegan, in her sleep during February of that same year. Smallegan had once dated Meirhofer but had ended the relationship.

Meirhofer committed suicide in jail, hours after confessing to the murders.

I saw this story on 20/20 last night... the story was about Susan Jaeger (the little girl abducted from her tent as she slept). I found it so interesting how they introduced "Offender Profiling" with this case and how it proved to work so well. The above paragraph doesn't do the detectives work any justice as they really pinpointed exactly why this guy did what he did, what kind of background he must have had to do the crime as diligently as he did it, and also predicted how he would eventually call the mother of Susan Jaeger (as a way to empower what he did and toy with the mother). Exactly one year to the day and time Susan was abducted the phone rang, and it was David. I felt so bad for this mother and she handled the whole ordeal so well... she even went to the killers grave with his parents and placed flowers I guess as a way of saying she forgave him and moving on? anyway, if you happen to catch this one or want to look it up... it's an interesting/sad story.

Dale hinman does this for the FBI it is a great technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post

I hope its next to Hitler in the pineapple line.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Dale hinman does this for the FBI it is a great technique.
    That chick sucks... she always states the obvious. "There was blood, so we knew somebody was bleeding" or "We saw the clothes on the floor all torn up, so we knew there was a struggle" YEAH NO SHIT DALE, what the hell we paying you for?

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I love the FBI criminal profiling technique, it's fascinating.

Dale Hinman, however, bugs the everloving shit out of me.

Thank you.