Thread: Pier Paolo Pasolini

Genevieve Guest

Pier Paolo Pasolini

Pier Paolo Pasolini (March 5, 1922 â?? November 2, 1975) was an Italian poet, intellectual, film director, and writer.

Surprised he's not on here already, because his death, it was murrrrder.

A good-looking gay renaissance man, he ruffled feathers throughout his career with his section of RoGoPaG being censored and obscenity charges being brought against him, likewise Accattone (his most famous work) upset conservatives and Salò is still controversial to this day. However, his The Gospel According to Saint Matthew is considered the best cinematic adaptation of the life of Jesus. He was clearly a man ahead of his time, unafraid of reflecting the reality of life, I think because he had had much of his life taken from him after he was charged with corruption of minors and obscene acts in public places (during his time as a teacher, before he started making films). He lost his job, was expelled from the Communist party and forced to flee the Friulian countryside he had grown up in and move to Rome with his mother. There followed years of unemployment - after this, he had nothing to lose.

In 1975 he was brutally murdered by being run over several times by his own car. Personally, I reckon there was someone in it. Joke. It happened on the beach in Ostia. Giuseppe Pelosi, a 17 year old hustler was arrested and admitted to the murder. In 2005, after 30 years in prison, he retracted his statement! He claimed 3 strangers with a southern Italian accent did it because of Pasolini's communist views. The investigation was reopened and has caused much suspicion among Pasolini's friends of it being a contract killing, as the secret services stepped in to investigations and related documents lacking coherence. Apparently, in the months before his death, Pasolini had had meetings with, and made certain politicians aware that he knew certain secrets. There was also a possible extortion as some rolls of film from Salo had been stolen and Pasolini was planning to meet the thieves to buy them back. Another person said he had told them he knew the Mafia wanted to kill him and yet another friend says that he planned his own death as the perfect expression to give meaning to his oeuvre. A kook? Personally I think the government did it, but then I never do trust governments. The case is now closed but wide open for speculation (as you can see).

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    Pier Paolo Pasolini (March 5, 1922 â?? November 2, 1975) was an Italian poet, intellectual, film director, and writer.

Surprised he's not on here already, because his death, it was murrrrder.

A good-looking gay renaissance man, he ruffled feathers throughout his career with his section of RoGoPaG being censored and obscenity charges being brought against him, likewise Accattone (his most famous work) upset conservatives and Salò is still controversial to this day. However, his The Gospel According to Saint Matthew is considered the best cinematic adaptation of the life of Jesus. He was clearly a man ahead of his time, unafraid of reflecting the reality of life, I think because he had had much of his life taken from him after he was charged with corruption of minors and obscene acts in public places (during his time as a teacher, before he started making films). He lost his job, was expelled from the Communist party and forced to flee the Friulian countryside he had grown up in and move to Rome with his mother. There followed years of unemployment - after this, he had nothing to lose.

In 1975 he was brutally murdered by being run over several times by his own car. Personally, I reckon there was someone in it. Joke. It happened on the beach in Ostia. Giuseppe Pelosi, a 17 year old hustler was arrested and admitted to the murder. In 2005, after 30 years in prison, he retracted his statement! He claimed 3 strangers with a southern Italian accent did it because of Pasolini's communist views. The investigation was reopened and has caused much suspicion among Pasolini's friends of it being a contract killing, as the secret services stepped in to investigations and related documents lacking coherence. Apparently, in the months before his death, Pasolini had had meetings with, and made certain politicians aware that he knew certain secrets. There was also a possible extortion as some rolls of film from Salo had been stolen and Pasolini was planning to meet the thieves to buy them back. Another person said he had told them he knew the Mafia wanted to kill him and yet another friend says that he planned his own death as the perfect expression to give meaning to his oeuvre. A kook? Personally I think the government did it, but then I never do trust governments. The case is now closed but wide open for speculation (as you can see).
    I never believed that 'gay hustler' angle, way too vague, this sounds MUCH more plausible.

Sal Mineo's murder was treated in much the same matter around the same time, a boring ol' botched robbery wasn't good enough for the press, so they invented stories of his being murdered by a gay hustler, or a 'trick'--untrue but those stories stick to him to this day, which is really sad.

But why retract a statement after 30 years? What took him so long?
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Genevieve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    But why retract a statement after 30 years? What took him so long?
    Exactly! What's going on here? I reckon maybe he was told to wait that long or he heard that whoever he was taking the fall for has died or been locked up.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Dead Guy Picture... be warned...

http://www.work-out.org/images/pasolini_morto.jpg

Pre Dead Guy Pictures...

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Dead Guy Picture... be warned...

http://www.work-out.org/images/pasolini_morto.jpg
    thanks for the pic Cheese! I had never seen this one...

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    You're most welcome Jack!!

leevancleef Guest
    Me neither, thanks a lot.. wow, poor Pier Paolo....
    i think he was VERY talented, but i understand that his films are not for everyone....
    i think that " Salo and Medea" is fascinating.... and "Mamma Roma" with the amazing Anna Magnani is wonderful too.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Me neither, thanks a lot.. wow, poor Pier Paolo....
    i think he was VERY talented, but i understand that his films are not for everyone....
    i think that " Salo and Medea" is fascinating.... and "Mamma Roma" with the amazing Anna Magnani is wonderful too.
    You know lee I have "Mamma Roma" and have never watched it...what is the MATTER with me ???
    Oh well, your post reminded me to dig it out and WATCH it--Anna Magnani, I absolutely love her!

I'll pass on 'SALO'--saw it once and that was enough!

leevancleef Guest

I'll pass on 'SALO'--saw it once and that was enough!
    i cant blame you dear!!!

Genevieve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    Exactly! What's going on here? I reckon maybe he was told to wait that long or he heard that whoever he was taking the fall for has died or been locked up.
    I had another thought I forgot to mention. If it were I who had been locked up from age 17 - 47, I would be hugely depressed, I'd probably think, "well that was the best years of my life, might as well stay here and rot". But, being a man I think he's hit the age of his second youth - he's ready for his mid-life crisis and so it's time to get out of jail and start living!