Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fatty Arbuckle

Fatty Arbuckle

Do you think Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle got a bad rap (pardon the pun), or do you think he was guilty of raping Virginia Rappe? Personally, I think he was innocent. Comments?

2. 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM

GODDESS6 Guest
    i'm on the fence on this one, i have read very interesting fact on both sides~

luckyg78 Guest
    personally, i believe he did it. the injury she sustained (and that ultimately lead to her death) would have to have come from some sort of trauma (rape, etc.) had there been DNA testing way back when, i believe he would've been found guilty with no questions asked.....

Eh - I'm on the fence on this one, too - although I'm leaning to innocent. This is not one I've really dug into, so I'm not speaking from any vast research. I just have a gut feeling...

Ron Burgundy Guest
    I don't think he did it. Maude Delmont was a well-known enabler, the prosecutor was trying advance his career via the outcome of the case, and Rappe herself was about as far from virginal as humanly possible.

I think she died from a botched abortion....which wasn't her first.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    I don't think he did it. Maude Delmont was a well-known enabler, the prosecutor was trying advance his career via the outcome of the case, and Rappe herself was about as far from virginal as humanly possible.

That's a good theory...could very well be!

Bellfire Guest
    They cleared him because it was found that she had some sort of vd and that it was a setup to ruin his career.

Marlow Guest

Fatty

He was not a saint or an 'innocent'...BUT I believe he was innocent of that act in SF in 1921...

Marlow

ST Moron Guest

Fatty Arbuckle

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Do you think Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle got a bad rap (pardon the pun), or do you think he was guilty of raping Virginia Rappe? Personally, I think he was innocent. Comments?
    Let me put it this way: If he did do it, he paid for it the rest of his life.

I remember reading an account of Arbuckle having to wear a fat suit on account of losing so much weight due to his heroin habit. I don't know if you've ever worn a fat suit, but it's a fairly miserable experience under the best of circumstances.

But Fatty Arbuckle was not simply wearing a fat suit: he was supposedly wearing a fat suit when it was one hundred and fifteen degrees in LA. And on top of that, his every nerve is standing on end, because he is going through heroin withdrawal.

If there's a hell worse than that, I don't think I'd want to hear about it.

And the above was a mere prelude to what he went through after the trial. Despite his acquittal, no one would show his films, let alone hire him under his own name.

As an aside: I've always wondered if the room in which Virginia Rappe died at the Saint Francis is still made available for overnight stays.

Some hotels seem to embrace that kind of notoriety, whilst others get quite snotty if you ask about such scandals. I'm guessing that the Saint Francis falls into the latter category, but it'd be nice to hear from someone who has actually tried to book that room.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    What if she had just recently had an abortion that was botched then had sex? I would think that could lead to some pretty serious consequences and abortions weren't exactly done under sterile circumstances in those days.

Jaxxx Guest

Your so right!!!!!

Fatty was framed. What a tragic life.

I have believed for years he is innocent. He may not have been a perfect angel, but he was not responsible for Virginia Rappe's death. What I think is a sad story about Fatty occurred after his career was ruined. Marion Davies wanted Arbuckle to direct her new movie - which he did under an assumed name. He met William Randolph Hurst on the set. Fatty asked why he would let him direct his dear Marion after Hurst's papers did everything to ruin him. Hurst just says, "Oh Roscoe, don't take it so personally. It sold newspapers." That is how Roscoe was treated. And I hope in time he will be appreciated for his contribution to the world of cinema.

This is just my theory on this. Remember it is just my theory. What I think happen was this. Fatty was celebrating the fact that he had just signed a million dollar contract. But after awhile he's starts realizing he is worth a whole more. He was making big money for the studios. So he decides to play hardball with the studio bigwigs. Asking for more or he would terminate his contract. Well the big guys decide that they were not going to lose there main bread and butter, so they plan to hire Miss Rappe to go to that party (and some witnesses) and cry rape. Well the plan was for the big heads to come to his rescue and offer there help but in return he would stay with the studio at maybe at a cheaper prize. But they didn't expect that Rappe was already sick and ready to die. So everybody lost in the end. What do you think sounds plausible.

Pretty brilliant theory! I do believe that he was framed. While he was no choirboy, you don't read anywhere that he was a sicko, so I don't believe he hurt that woman, if indeed he was even involved with her.

RoRo Guest
    I think eca has a good theory..I always thought he was innocent and set up...back then the studios could hide anything or cause anything to be blown up in the press.....

onehunglow Guest

And who was the Press

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I think eca has a good theory..I always thought he was innocent and set up...back then the studios could hide anything or cause anything to be blown up in the press.....
    Uncle William

He made you or broke you.

i didn't think anybody was ever going to reply to my post, and some people did and I was even called brilliant. tee he he he.

But seriously that is what I thought could be the only explanation. From accounts he was not a bad man who would hurt someone intentionally.

1karenhb Guest
    I definetely think he was framed. She was dfinetely a hollywood ho. She is buried in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. There was a man who was in love with her and paid for her funeral. He is buried in the plot next to her.

Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    I definetely think he was framed. She was dfinetely a hollywood ho. She is buried in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. There was a man who was in love with her and paid for her funeral. He is buried in the plot next to her.

Interesting. Do you know this man's name I would like to do some checking on the web on this person, I never heard that one before.

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Interesting. Do you know this man's name I would like to do some checking on the web on this person, I never heard that one before.
    He was a film director by the name of Henry Lehrman . According to the book "Permanent Californians" he visited her grave weekly until he died in 1946 and was buried next to her. I have visited both graves. Hope you find more info.

Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    He was a film director by the name of Henry Lehrman . According to the book "Permanent Californians" he visited her grave weekly until he died in 1946 and was buried next to her. I have visited both graves. Hope you find more info.

Thank you so much I am going check it out.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Henry 'Pathe' Lehrman

I think when you find his name, the word prick will probably be close-by. He wasn't well-liked.

NOVSTORM Guest

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I live near SF and I talked to an old guy that apparently worked there when this happened. He said people were saying that he was "huge" in other respects other than his weight.
    He also said that she was sick before she got to the party but the cops didn't want to isten to anything that the party goers said. He also said it was a set up.
    She was a hooker and I heard that it was a botched abortion . Your are right I think about him getting too big for his britches and the studio was going to let him get caught with this tramp so they could "cover it up" because of the morals clause in the contract. Then he would owe them big time but it backfired on them.
    His wife stood by him thru this but they lost every nickle they had..
    Hearst was a jerk lol it runs in the family.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Arbuckle was damn near as big as Chaplin in those days...and getting closer by the minute. Considering how the studios in those days fought tooth and nail to keep their meal tickets from any harm, publicity-wise, I'd have a VERY hard time believing the studio had anything to do with the framing of Arbuckle.

I am more inclined to believe that this cover-up had everything to do with the combination of Prosecutor Brady's political agenda, the wretched Maude Delmont's willingness to do anything for money, and William Randolph Hearst's to often fondness for screwing people over to sell copy.

If the studios REALLY wanted to give Fatty a good screwin', given their power & position, they could have easily fabricated some credible witnesses to come forward, and not the immoral charletons that did.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 10-22-2007 at 08:21 AM.

More Cheese Please Guest
    He was innocent- period. Buster Keaton stayed his friend through thick and thin and got him work after the trials were over... when no one else would. Keaton billed Arbuckle under the name
    "Will B. Good"

Handrejka Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post

That's what I'd heard too

hoxharding Guest
    I have read he was innocent. Hollywood babylon shows a picture of the trashed room. There were also reports of screaming in the room. Plus, Fatty seemed indifferent while on trial.
    I don't know if those reports are true. Even if they are, it doesn't mean it shows guilt. I does seem odd somehow, I just don't know what it would mean.

lisalouver Guest
    He was innocent, I believe.

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    i vote innocent...set up

Lisamarie Guest
    Innocent. Virgina was known..if ya get my meaning.

Kugmu Guest
    Here is what Wikipedia has to say about him:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Arbuckle

Here is the last paragraph of the AFTERMATH section:

"Rosco Arbuckle finished filming...on june 28, 1933; the next day he was signed
    by WARNER BROTHERS to make a feature-length film. At last, Arbuckle's professional
    reputation was restored, and he was welcomed back into the world he loved. He
    reportedly said "This is the best day of my life." The exilaration may have been
    to much for him: he died that night of a heart attack. He as 46. He was cremated
    and his ashed scattered in the Pacific Ocean."

I found all that very sad.
    But he may have been, for the first time in many years, a happy man as that
    last candle went out...

BTW: I think he was innocent

Innocent.

Funny, I read somewhere a long time ago that VR died of a burst bladder. It seems that with all that drinking the bathroom was constantly busy, people waiting to get in, and she had to go, and waited so long that her bladder ruptured.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Innocent. Virgina was known..if ya get my meaning.
    she sure was lol...you're too kind!

Harrietd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Innocent.

Funny, I read somewhere a long time ago that VR died of a burst bladder. It seems that with all that drinking the bathroom was constantly busy, people waiting to get in, and she had to go, and waited so long that her bladder ruptured.
    She died of peritonitis which was a result of the ruptured bladder and probably something else if she'd had a botched abortion. Even if her bladder had been FULL and he had raped her, it's doubtful her bladder would have ruptured. It is possible, but the abdomen is a cavity and there is some room for stuff to be shifted around. It's a sad story and I can't help but think that the phrase 'conspiracy theories' exsists for a reason.

i do believe the man was innocent. poor guy. rip fatty (a man who lets himself be known as 'fatty' can't be the type to rape a woman so violently that she dies...)
    pull the string!

interrestedintn Guest
    I read somewhere that she'd had an abortion like 3 days earlier or something and it was a big set up. I don't know but in any case the poor guy was ruined.

tarsier Guest
    Innocent I don't buy into conspiracies but don't need one once Hurst became involved.

Bidmor Guest
    I concur with the jury.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a major bio pic done on Roscoe, the first film comedian superstar who gave Buster Keaton a break by putting him in several Arbuckle films. On top of that, he was making big bucks before Chaplin made his first Amercan film. According to Wiki, Roscoe mentored Chaplin who borrowed Roscoe's baggy pants and small hat to help create the famous Chaplin character. I'd love to see Roscoe Arbuckle's story in a big budget film.

Jack Raines Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I concur with the jury.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a major bio pic done on Roscoe, the first film comedian superstar who gave Buster Keaton a break by putting him in several Arbuckle films. On top of that, he was making big bucks before Chaplin made his first Amercan film. According to Wiki, Roscoe mentored Chaplin who borrowed Roscoe's baggy pants and small hat to help create the famous Chaplin character. I'd love to see Roscoe Arbuckle's story in a big budget film.
    One of Chris Farley's upcoming projects at the time of his death was a Fatty Arbuckle biopic. It was expected to bring Farley more respect as a dramatic actor. I haven't heard any rumblings of an Arbuckle bio since then.

Bidmor Guest
    Chris was in my mind too, Jack.

However a great candidate for the role, IMHO, is Michael Badalucco, whose most notable role was that of Baby Face Nelson in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou". Arbuckle's story needs to be told as accurately and engaging as possible.

Morto Guest
    A good friend of mine is the former PR manager for the Fairmont Hotel where it happened.She says Fatty was framed and destroyed,Rapp is buried at East Lawn in Sacramento about two miles from my house.She was known to be a available type if you get my meaning.The heads of studios were asshole buddies with Hearst who controlled all the newspapers and loved controversy,it sold papers

Bidmor Guest
    Here's a page of Arbuckle Quicktime clips, the first of which is from a 1917 film of Roscoe doing the "roll dance"...the site claims eight years before Chaplin did it:
    http://silent-movies.com/Arbucklemania/Quick.html

This page contains rare Arbuckle audio: http://silent-movies.com/Arbucklemania/Sound.html

The more I read, the more I think Roscoe was screwed. Chaplin is generally proclaimed as the screen's first comic superstar...he was not...it was Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle.

interrestedintn Guest
    I agree that they should make a movie about him. It would be a way of helping the public to understand that he may not have been the monster that the papers made him out to be.

warmbear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I concur with the jury.

There was a major movie based on the party, The Wild Party . The movie was beset with production problems, including a terrible recutting by the distributor without the consent or approval of the director.

Unfortunately, the writers played it far too free and easy with the facts of the situation.. They made WAY too many changes to the storyline (as you do ). Too bad really, with James Coco in the Fatty role, and Raquel Welch in the Rappe role it could have been a very good movie.

burgtwngrl Guest
    Virginia died as a result of a Ruptured Fallopian Tube due to "the clap". In those days putting out was part of the territory...they all did it the casting couch was the way you got work. I don't think Fatty Raped her do I think he's totally innocent? No I've seen pics of the room...he wanted a little something something and he got more than what he bargained for.

and he lost it all over a piece of diseased ass a shame...Yes I also would like to see a movie done on his life.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    Virginia died as a result of a Ruptured Fallopian Tube due to "the clap". In those days putting out was part of the territory...they all did it the casting couch was the way you got work. I don't think Fatty Raped her do I think he's totally innocent? No I've seen pics of the room...he wanted a little something something and he got more than what he bargained for.

and he lost it all over a piece of diseased ass a shame...Yes I also would like to see a movie done on his life.
    I believe that the "she died of complications of a STD" were an urban legend.

I believe her cause of death was a ruptured bladder, and secondary peritonitis which is caused form rupture of hollow visceus - usually the bowel or bladder.

burgtwngrl Guest
    I guess I'll have to look into this further

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    I guess I'll have to look into this further
    We had a case here in my state that happened in the 1960's of a little boy who died of the same thing (well peritonitis) and they closed the case.

Twenty years later they re-opened it and convicted his adopted mother of his death.

His bowel ruptured from a blow to the stomach and this caused the contents (feces) to leak out into his stomach, causing the peritonitis.

I know it is a painful death.

This reminds me if I can find the info on this case, it will make a great thread!

Framed

Quote Originally Posted by interrestedintn View Post
    I agree that they should make a movie about him. It would be a way of helping the public to understand that he may not have been the monster that the papers made him out to be.
    Fatty was framed, Maude Delmont, the main witness against him was a known madam and con artist. Virginia Rappe was also a known prostitute.

burgtwngrl Guest
    I stand corrected she did die of a ruptured bladder...Not sure how that happened or if Fatty caused it but it does sound like she suffered. Is there really evidence that Ms. Rappe was a prostitute? I mean all the actresses back then used the casting couch to get work they all did it. if you lump her in the prostitute catagory because of that you have to lump them all in that catagory.