Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forest Lawn Memorial Parks

Guest Guest

Forest Lawn Memorial Parks

Truly is there another cemetery so filled with celebrities and so run by Nazis? I wonder if the celebs are told pre-burial that the staff will do their level best to make sure they're forgotten once they're dead.

I've only been once, and although I had no problems in the Freedom Mausoleum [this was in 2002], even then I knew of the dark shadows creeping within the Great Mausoleum dressed as guards and not to even bother trying going in there.

So, whose been chucked out on their ass from there?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Snoopy Guest
    I've never been thrown out of there but I do agree..the first time I went there the guard at the booth wouldn't even give out a map of the place so I had no luck whatsoever finding anyone..the second time I got smart before we went I got a map of the place on line and all the plot names and locations of the graves I wanted to visit..it was a peice of cake except trying to find John Ritter he was tough!

1karenhb Guest
    To see my feelings about Forest Lawn, see my post under Jean Harlow 10-14. Forest Lawn sucks!!!

Cayley Guest
    Go in and tell them you want to watch the movie. I have forgotten what it is now, but once it starts, sneak away. That's what I did. I managed to jump the gate and find Jean Harlow and Clark Gable.

onehunglow Guest
    OK, you baited me. A guard-Nazis-what the hell is going on out there? Afraid someone is going to dig them up?

Lobsters Guest
    oh no....worse! They're afraid you might actually SEE a celebrity grave!

SHOCKING!

Kirsten01 Guest

Forest lawn Hollywood Hills Ca

Question for the board members ?

Why is this cemetary act like its king over all cemetarys ?
    I know its a big place and they have a lot of stars their but the staff
    its just so rude unless your going to have your funeral their and they are
    going to profit from it ya know. Other then that they are not friendly at
    all. I have tryed every year to leave a red rose for jack webb on his head
    stone but the people that work their will not alow it. I have been told we will do it for you and i have see them toss the rose over their shoulder
    onto anything but his grave this pisses me off because even if my rose
    ment nothing to the staff it ment the world to me because i came from
    Georgia to Ca just so i could do this and if the staff was worried about
    why i wanted to leave to rose or what i mite do their..someone could have
    walked with me and watched me the whole time.
    I just dont understand why forest lawn is like a bank vault or something
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webbjack.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	87   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webbjack2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	88  

onehunglow Guest
    Nazis-guards-who do they have there Uncle Adolf? What are you going to do, ask Jack for a pic?

Kirsten01 Guest
    I said i wanted to leave a rose that's all

onehunglow Guest

There is a lot of listings here about that odd place

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten01 View Post
    I said i wanted to leave a rose that's all
    Sounds like a prison.

Kirsten01 Guest
    Ha Ha Ha This is true LMAO

Danny62 Guest
    Maybe someone can answer that?

A good question.

I mean they want the fame in life...now in death they are hidden away?

Katie Guest
    I would guess that just like with other rules in life, someone was not respectful, so they started restricting the visitation of the cemetery.

Kirsten01 Guest
    You know i was thinking that on my way back home from trying to get in their.
    I told my friend that i was so near yeat so far away from jack's gave.
    Its a awful thing that a person would think going to a cemetary and doing disrespectful things is funny or cool. No its just sick and wrong. I still belive that they should come up with a plan to let people in but have them watched at all times
    and only so many visitors at a time can enter. It would ease up on the bad rap that
    forest lawn is getting ya know

Katie Guest
    People have very little respect for places like this. They drink, and party, and steal things. The families of the dead pay good money to have their loved ones intermed, and it is up to the workers to keep it as such.

Kirsten01 Guest
    Your right katie and its a shame it realy is

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    People have very little respect for places like this. They drink, and party, and steal things. The families of the dead pay good money to have their loved ones intermed, and it is up to the workers to keep it as such.
    And that is a shame. When I went to Westwood I saw some pic's of Dorothy on Dorothy strattons grave and I never would have thought of touching them!

It was a very somber experience.

Its too bad we have people that ruin it for people that just want to pay their respects and get a picture!

JeffD Guest
    I am surprised they wouldn't let you place flowers. Is Jack Webb in some special/private area?
    This is from their own website. http://www.forestlawn.com/Visitors-Guide/Index.asp

Flowers
    • Please feel free to place fresh cut flowers at any of our Memorial - Park locations.*
    • Please place potted plants no larger than eight inches in diameter or one gallon in volume on tablets or vases (in order to protect the grass).
    • Please limit placements to no more than three per interment space.
    • Cut flowers will be removed in approximately five days.
    • Funeral flowers will be removed in approximately three days.
    • Ornaments, borders, fences, planter boxes, balloons, spinners, statues, stones, or other items which do not conform to the rules and regulations of the Forest Lawn Memorial-Parks are not permitted. All placements not conforming to these rules will be removed.

*Artificial flowers are permitted at the Cathedral City location only, due to extreme climate conditions.
    http://www.forestlawn.com/Visitors-Guide/Index.asp
    Last edited by JeffD; 10-20-2007 at 03:24 PM.

JeffD Guest

Aerial view

Tell me what you think. Just an optical illusion or an Architect with a sense of humor.

JeffD Guest

Hmmm...

star82 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten01 View Post
    Question for the board members ?

Why is this cemetary act like its king over all cemetarys ?
    I know its a big place and they have a lot of stars their but the staff
    its just so rude unless your going to have your funeral their and they are
    going to profit from it ya know. Other then that they are not friendly at
    all. I have tryed every year to leave a red rose for jack webb on his head
    stone but the people that work their will not alow it. I have been told we will do it for you and i have see them toss the rose over their shoulder
    onto anything but his grave this pisses me off because even if my rose
    ment nothing to the staff it ment the world to me because i came from
    Georgia to Ca just so i could do this and if the staff was worried about
    why i wanted to leave to rose or what i mite do their..someone could have
    walked with me and watched me the whole time.
    I just dont understand why forest lawn is like a bank vault or something
    I agree, the people that work there are so rude & not helpful. I was looking for the sheltering hills section and they refused to help me. I walked around that damn cemetery for an hour with no luck!

deathhagcutie Guest
    is this the same cemetery that hbo did a documentary about? or was that hollywood forever?

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathhagcutie View Post
    is this the same cemetery that hbo did a documentary about? or was that hollywood forever?
    That was Hollywood forever, and it's a pretty good documentory. Of couse not half as good as Dearly Departed, but none the less worth the used price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Young-Dead-Tom...1221954&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    Truly is there another cemetery so filled with celebrities and so run by Nazis? I wonder if the celebs are told pre-burial that the staff will do their level best to make sure they're forgotten once they're dead.

I've only been once, and although I had no problems in the Freedom Mausoleum [this was in 2002], even then I knew of the dark shadows creeping within the Great Mausoleum dressed as guards and not to even bother trying going in there.

So, whose been chucked out on their ass from there?
    Not us. My husband's best friend who committed suicide is buried there. So are some of his relatives.

Im going to visit here in June. I have a tattoo convention on the Queen Mary so im going to sneak off one day to go hagging in L.A.

RaRaRamona Guest
    So anyone can be buried there? Why would they care if fans visit? Everyone should be able to pay their respects. Of course, Jim Morrison's grave is a mess & for miles in every direction people have trashed that place. It's disgraceful. James Dean's estate quit replacing his bust after so many thefts. So never mind, I understand. Sadly.

I will probably get thrown out. I don't do well with "snooty" people telling me what to do.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I will probably get thrown out. I don't do well with "snooty" people telling me what to do.
    YOU get annoyed with sooty people? noooo

are you taking photo orders? heee

I bet they have to be topless. I wonder if Forset Lawn has a sign out front that says "no shirt, no shoes, no dice"

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I bet they have to be topless. I wonder if Forset Lawn has a sign out front that says "no shirt, no shoes, no dice"
    haaa, I would only ask for topless in the Engel thread.. here at forest lawn you can wear anything you like... If you didnt wear shoes or shirt, DONT bring dice!! that way you are obeying the sign.

I have to find the list of who is buried there and then send you the requests!!! woo hoo top optional.

So anyone can be buried there? Why would they care if fans visit? Everyone should be able to pay their respects.
    Wanna hear something you guys won't believe? The first time we went to Forest Lawn, my husband had no idea whatsoever that famous people are buried there. He'd even been there before as he has family buried there.

Can you STAND it?

We didn't have time to turn around and go back so I couldn't show him at the time. But I will next time. He's so dying to see some now.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Wanna hear something you guys won't believe? The first time we went to Forest Lawn, my husband had no idea whatsoever that famous people are buried there. He'd even been there before as he has family buried there.

Can you STAND it?

We didn't have time to turn around and go back so I couldn't show him at the time. But I will next time. He's so dying to see some now.
    Noooo, I dont believe you!!!!!!

Yes!

I know, huh?

He really just doesn't have a clue about any of this stuff any more than I do about being a CPA or working on something called "Audit Standards for Genealogy". But don't worry, I broke him in by getting a couple of snaps of him with my death hag sticker during our Sutro Baths trip for the Harold and Maude thingy.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Yes!

I know, huh?

He really just doesn't have a clue about any of this stuff any more than I do about being a CPA or working on something called "Audit Standards for Genealogy". But don't worry, I broke him in by getting a couple of snaps of him with my death hag sticker during our Sutro Baths trip for the Harold and Maude thingy.
    watch out payback can be a bitch - he might make you pose provocatively with a calculator... oohhh those saucy accountants.. they are sooo out there! heeee

MbalmR Guest
    You'd think a bunch of fans milling around would be a fabulous way to promote their operation, but given the potential for vandalism, I can understand that they can't just let people roam around unsupervised. But wouldn't that be a great money making scheme in and of itself? Charge extra for "perpetual care." I don't mean the "usual" perpetual care; I mean charge celebrity families thousands of dollars per year to replace stolen markers, clean up grave spaces and install cameras on the grounds. It's still, after all, supposed to be a public place.

Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    watch out payback can be a bitch - he might make you pose provocatively with a calculator... oohhh those saucy accountants.. they are sooo out there! heeee
    I like to call him a tart but I think saucy has a better ring to it. I'll try it and let you know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    You'd think a bunch of fans milling around would be a fabulous way to promote their operation, but given the potential for vandalism, I can understand that they can't just let people roam around unsupervised. But wouldn't that be a great money making scheme in and of itself? Charge extra for "perpetual care." I don't mean the "usual" perpetual care; I mean charge celebrity families thousands of dollars per year to replace stolen markers, clean up grave spaces and install cameras on the grounds. It's still, after all, supposed to be a public place.
    Cemetery vandals really should be shot on sight.

motherogod Guest
    I'd read the write up on "where the stars are buried," and they go into where some folks are, in fact a step by step walking tour of who to see and how to get there. BUT I didn't brave it when I was in LA due to the stories of the grave nazis. I'd love to see the graves and the wee church o' the captain kirk thingie (Reagan was married there-- nancy is SUCH the death hag). Be sure to take pics, especially of the guards if they get testy!

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    This is very close to what I wanted to ask. Don't you think that Forest Lawn charges extra for this elitism ??? Maybe that is why there is such as issue with access, and the way security treats visitors. And traditionally, we view cemeteries as a "public place" where anyone is free to come and go. But aren't they in fact private business entities ?? Take the example of many Jewish cemeteries - if I am not mistaken, you can't just freely come and go (at least the ones I am familiar with in the North East) I do believe that unless they are run by a county/local/state/federal government, that cemeteries would be considered as private ?? Help me out here !!!

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    And traditionally, we view cemeteries as a "public place" where anyone is free to come and go. But aren't they in fact private business entities ?? Take the example of many Jewish cemeteries - if I am not mistaken, you can't just freely come and go (at least the ones I am familiar with in the North East) I do believe that unless they are run by a county/local/state/federal government, that cemeteries would be considered as private ?? Help me out here !!!
    Most cemeteries are in fact a private business. They pay taxes, have employees on the payroll, ect...not unlike most other businesses. Like most businesses they have the right to say who can/who can't visit but many of them don't out of respect.

There are about 5 maybe 6 cemeteries that are within 5 miles of my house. Most of them are small such as the Catholic grave yard. But even they don't restrict who can come in though they do close at dusk as does the other grave yards.

Oddly the one grave yard in my area where one can go after dark is the one where Patsy Cline is buried at. Not a fence anywhere !! In other words if you want to see Patsy's grave at 3am, its possible !!! Though her grave is kind of generic, nothing flashy. The grave yard ( Shenandoah National Park I think is the name of the place ) does have a bell tower in memory of Patsy Cline and a lot of people think she is buried right there but actually Patsy is buried a good distance away from that.

Another odd thing about Patsy Cline's resting place. Despite her being famous, her's is NOT the most visited grave at Shenandoah. Back in 1994 several teenagers were burned to death in a radio station event that went wrong ( there is a story about the "WFQX-FM Froggy 99 incident" that many locals refer too but I have to save that story for another day ) and their graves are actually visited more than Patsy's. Even to this day.
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 01-26-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    Most cemeteries are in fact a private business. They pay taxes, have employees on the payroll, ect...not unlike most other businesses. Like most businesses they have the right to say who can/who can't visit but many of them don't out of respect.

There are about 5 maybe 6 cemeteries that are within 5 miles of my house. Most of them are small such as the Catholic grave yard. But even they don't restrict who can come in though they do close at dusk as does the other grave yards.

Oddly the one grave yard in my area where one can go after dark is the one where Patsy Cline is buried at. Not a fence anywhere !! In other words if you want to see Patsy's grave at 3am, its possible !!! Though her grave is kind of generic, nothing flashy. The grave yard ( Shenandoah National Park I think is the name of the place ) does have a bell tower in memory of Patsy Cline and a lot of people think she is buried right there but actually Patsy is buried a good distance away from that.

Another odd thing about Patsy Cline's resting place. Despite her being famous, her's is NOT the most visited grave at Shenandoah. Back in 1994 several teenagers were burned to death in a radio station event that went wrong ( there is a story about the "WFQX-FM Froggy 99 incident" that many locals refer too but I have to save that story for another day ) and their graves are actually visited more than Patsy's. Even to this day.
    I know Winchester well, don't live too far and visit fairly often....I know where you are talking about.
    My point is, that maybe our thinking is off then. If most cemeteris are in fact private entities (except for government owned,etc) then visiting them would in fact be a PRIVILEGE, and not necessarily a RIGHT. If that's the case, and Forest Lawn is a private entity, that I believe that might address some of the attitude that gets encountered.

I have read about this place.

I wonder if its the family of the celebrities who requested this place to not exactly be "fan friendly"? There has got to be a reason for it.

One of our local cemetaries has something similar to Forest Lawn's "Golden Key of Memory" or whatever they call it. Only those family members can enter the building to see the graves/memorials of their loved ones. In this case its something the families requested. I wonder if its the case here.

Back to Forest Lawn, if it is the case, it is sad. Too bad many of the celebrities and their families don't understand its the FANS who made them famous.

Snoopy Guest
    I have to say as tough as the person was at the guard station once your're in you're in and are pretty much free to roam..I mean noone bothered us..and if you know where you're going then it's fine. we were there a good hour or so maybe more looking for the celebs we wanted to find and had no run ins..just that first security guard at the station.

trblentx Guest
    Here are my "babies" 15 years ago placing their pennies on Patsy's grave!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PatsyCline.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	748.5 KB 
ID:	3167  

motherogod Guest
    Wow, I had a great dream about this place last night! In case anyone cares, the graves were set up on ledges that looked like an ampitheatre. I stopped to see Nell Carter's grave (in the dream only, 'cause she's not buried there, is she??) and got shooed away by an old man in a rent-a-cop uniform. THEN I happened by Bill Murray (why?) and his brothers, mourning the loss of a family member. I did some brief solution-oriented therapy and we all left arm-in-arm in a semi truck.

What do you think that means?

Other than that, I completely intend to spend a day here on my next trip to LA.

RoRo Guest
    I think if a cemetery doesn't want people roaming then they should put up gates and lock them until a family member wants to visit and if not then they should leave visitors alone unless they are vandalizing a grave...this place is just overbearing in it's security

my little addition: in the early seventies my then fiancee and i would 'hang out' at forest lawn cemetery in glendale. i loved the place, it was quiet, secluded, a good place to see beautiful art, sculpture, and just plain take in being alone, the macabre quality of it all. we used to go to the main mausoleum and visit the stars crypts, there were two or three floors to the place. one day, we were basically alone in the place, about a floor or two down, and boing: LIGHTS OFF! the place was pitch black, no where to turn, all doors locked from the inside too! PANICCCCCCCCC i was crying, he was trying to move me closer to a window, it was pitch black, that faint smell of flowers and the echoes of my fear! we were there a few minutes, when he had the good sense to try the windows, and one was actually open! out we crept, and we went directly to the front office and laid into them, for not having given anyone warning of their closing hour. well, guess what.. after that there were signs posted everywhere, there was a chime that toned before closing--you can thank our terrorized afternoon for that! lmaooooooo
    pull the string!

bunny Guest
    I think with any grave yard, you should not do anything stupid...and respect the dead...
    I dont understand why they would be so rude there...
    Does anyone know what the other grave yards are like in that area do they treat you the same rude way?

crazedfemale Guest
    I went to Forest Lawn in 1989 to visit a man's grave I knew from my childhood. I told them I was related to him (my uncle, which I thought he was). I received a map and drove around and took pictures of lots of graves (Lucy had just died that previous April). Later I learned that Charles was not a relative, but a childhood friend who hung out with my grandmother. Charles was a stand in for many of Hollywood's old, Robert Ryan, Henry Fonda. His picture is in Fonda's autobiography.
    Last edited by crazedfemale; 08-28-2008 at 06:58 PM.

silverwaif77 Guest
    My grandparents were married at wee kirk of the heather at forest lawn in glendale. At the time they lived in southern california, WW2 was going on and it was available when my grandpa was back on a short leave. It wasnt a death hag thing, it was affordable and available. It was a place they could visit and look at the statues, walk and talk, ect. In the early 1980's they bought nitches in the freedom mauseleum ( i think that is the correct name), they thought it would be nice to spend eternity where they were married so many years before. Now things have changed, it is difficult to get in. You basically have to prove who you are seeing and that you are related to them. The nitches are basically plaques in the wall which behind it, contain the cremains of your loved one. My Grandpa is about 7-8 feet off the ground. There are assistants lurking around who will help you place flowers on their nitch with a pole thing like they use to get clothes down at the Gap. Their practices are driving mourners away, if they would allow fans and legitimate access to the graves or charged an entrance fee, they would be much busier, and visitors would be much happier.