Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead 80's

knothere Guest

Dead 80's

Lead singer of the group Big Country ....hung himself in a hotel room

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Randy Rhoads dies in an airplane crash while on tour with Ozzy Osbourne.

Guest Guest
    Jermaine Stewart dies of AIDS
    Falco dies in a car accident

Jimmy McShane from Baltimora (remember that song, "Jungle Boy") died of AIDS in 1995. And one of my favorites, Mathew Ashman, the guitarist from Bow wow wow died in November of 1995 from diabetic complications.

candleinthewind Guest
    Pete Farndon and James Honeyman-Scott from the Pretenders.

erin Guest
    Freddie Mercury, so famous thru the 80's, died of AIDS in 90.

candleinthewind Guest
    A moment of silence for Freddie, please.........

Snoopy Guest
    God Bless Mr. Farenheit

pinkrose35 Guest
    Robert Palmer-Loved him, I was so stunned when I heard he died, he was only 54 years old.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I cried when Freddie died. such a talented man...such a tragedy.

Hanoi Rocks drummer Razzle, killed in a car crash while going for beer with Motley Crue singer Vince Neil.

Ricky Wilson of the B-52s

knothere Guest
    ya i love freddie

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Ray Gillen former Black Sabbath/Badlands singer dies of AIDS.

Cindy Guest
    Ian Curtis - singer from Joy Division ("Love Will Tear Us Apart") committed suicide.

candleinthewind Guest
    John Lennon of course in 1980

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Joey, Dee Dee and Johnny Ramone.

I see dead people Guest

I see dead people Guest
    Oh ya, and all of punk music pretty much!

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    Freddie Mercury, so famous thru the 80's, died of AIDS in 90.
    I mentioned this on Freddie's thread (under musicians) but Eric Carr of Kiss died on the same day as Freddie (November 24, 1991).

Lisamarie Guest
    Freddie was one of a kind...The artist of today could learn something from him....he was magic and gone far too soon , bless him . I think of all the stupid atist today who cancel shows because they are hung over or the venue did not meet there needs...and then there was Freddie.....I miss him and love him too mch.

Lilepad336 Guest

dec4mmv Guest
    Patty Donahue, lead singer of The Waitresses, died in 1996 of cancer at the age of 40.

Hammer of the Gods

How about John Bonham of Led Zep fer crissakes...

Jack Raines Guest
    Ricky Nelson, the son of Ozzie and Harriet killed in a 1985 plane crash. And apparently the last song he sang on stage before his death was a cover of Buddy Holly's "Rave On".

Lurkster Guest
    Steve Clark, guitarist for Def Leppard, died Jan. 8, 1991. I miss him, Freddie Mercury, and Michael Hutchence.

knothere Guest
    me too lurkster

leppchic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkster View Post
    Steve Clark, guitarist for Def Leppard, died Jan. 8, 1991. I miss him, Freddie Mercury, and Michael Hutchence.
    I am a HUGE Def Leppard fan. A freak if you will. Note the name. That was a horrible day for me. I was 11 turned 12 a week later. I heard it on the radio, they played Bringin' on the Heartbreak, I locked my bedroom door and cried. I became a huge fan at the age of 8 while my mom played Hysteria record really loud while housecleaning. I was hooked right then, and have been ever since. Live on Steve, we will never forget you.
    And I agree, a moment of silence for the greatly talented Freddie......

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Wendy O. Williams of the Plasmatics died in April 6, 1998

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_O_Williams

That was a shock when Wendy took herself out. I never got to see her live. but I loved her in Reform School Girls!

leppchic Guest
    After reading pretty much the whole forum isn't it shocking how many people felt so lonely or hopeless they took their own lives?? God I hope I never get to that point....so sad. Even the accidental ODs. Sad that you have to take that much to get out of your agony...such a shame. So many were so talented and had so much to share with the world that hadn't come out yet.

epicentre Guest
    Few ones off the top of my head (most of these died recently):
    Mel Appleby (of Mel & Kim), Luther Vandross, Ian Dury, Jam Master Jay of Run DMC.

Just remembered John Lennon died in December 1980 too. No doubt he would've written some more classics in the 80s if he had not been slain. What a travesty.

I remember Mel and Kim! We used to dance to "Respectable" all the time. Yes, Patty Donohue of the Waitresses was a shock, too.

33. 10-07-2007, 04:39 PM

star82 Guest
    Liberace

motherogod Guest
    Umm, ANDY GIBB! Minnie Ripperton. Robbin Crosby of RATT-- that one hit me really hard. Yes, I was in high school in the late 80s, and big hair was my specialty. The VH1 "behind the music: Ratt" described Robbin's death as result of a heroin overdose, not specific complications from AIDS.

I had no clue about Jermaine Stewart or Ray Gillen... I LOVED badlands! Dreams in the dark....

scout1 Guest
    Michael Hutchins of INXS. Might have been early 90's that he died, however, INXS, one of the best in the 80's. Miss Freddie, Sid Vicious (where are the Sex Pistols now), and especially Bonham...for without him, Led Zepplin lives no more!!!!

scout1 Guest
    Michael Hutchins of INXS

deathybrad Guest
    RATT just never was the same after Liberace died. LOL

knothere Guest
    hahahahhaha deathybrad

Quote Originally Posted by scout1 View Post
    Michael Hutchins of INXS. Might have been early 90's that he died, however, INXS, one of the best in the 80's. Miss Freddie, Sid Vicious (where are the Sex Pistols now), and especially Bonham...for without him, Led Zepplin lives no more!!!!
    Funny you put Freddie and Sid Vicious back to back... here is an interesting "fact" I found on the internet (assuming it's true).

While recording ``We Will Rock You'' at Wessex studios, Mercury came face to face with Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious. ``So you're this Freddie Platinum bloke that's supposed to be bringing ballet to the masses,'' Vicious snarled, prompting a completely unfazed response from Mercury: ``Ah, Mr. Ferocious, we're trying our best, dear.''

Danse Macabre Guest
    Nico of the Velvet Underground died on July 18, 1988.

candleinthewind Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    RATT just never was the same after Liberace died. LOL
    Ya know, Liberace never admitted to being gay, even successfully sued a tabloid for saying it. His former lover has done some talking about it. The funny thing is, even as a child with no idea of what gay is, I knew that something was different about him.

SusanRandy Guest

Unhappy Steve Clark

Quote Originally Posted by leppchic View Post
    I am a HUGE Def Leppard fan. A freak if you will. Note the name. That was a horrible day for me. I was 11 turned 12 a week later. I heard it on the radio, they played Bringin' on the Heartbreak, I locked my bedroom door and cried. I became a huge fan at the age of 8 while my mom played Hysteria record really loud while housecleaning. I was hooked right then, and have been ever since. Live on Steve, we will never forget you.
    And I agree, a moment of silence for the greatly talented Freddie......
    I'm a nutso Def Leppard fan too. I remember when I found out Steve died. My Mom heard it on the news and called me. I was in college. I cried. She also mailed me a clipping about him she found in the newspaper.

Def Leppard played at my college during the "Hysteria" tour in the late 80's. Rick's arm was gone, but Steve was still alive. It was a kick a$$ show. They all wore really really bleached jeans, white shirts and white shoes, then they put a blacklight on them, so they glowed in the dark. It was awesome!!!!

My little girl and I just saw Def Leppard two weeks ago in Vancouver Canada. We took the train from Seattle up to Vancouver, just us girls. Left hubby at home with the furkids. We got to meet Rick Allen (drummer) before the show. It was soooooo cool!!!! He signed my daughter's leopard doll's leather jacket (doll's name is Joe hee hee!), our concert tickets and wrote a note for me to put in my scrapbook.

Begothed Guest
    [SIZE=4]Stuart Adamson. Lead singer for Big Country. He has a name you know.[/SIZE]

Twobeatlesleft Guest
    I remember Lennon's death vividly, but I was only 13 at the time. When Eric Carr died in 1991, I was a HUGE KISS fan, and had actually met Eric 3 times in 1990-1991 and each time he was so friendly. I was depressed for a while after that one.

Alexa Guest

Unhappy

John Lennon's murder was a shock, but I was hit hardest by the 1980s deaths of Ricky Nelson and Andy Gibb. I grew up listening to Rick and hoped I'd grow old listening to Andy. Actually I will because I have all his music. Andy's death was the toughest of all because he was so young.

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    Jermaine Stewart dies of AIDS
    Falco dies in a car accident
    OMG - where have I been??? I didnt even know these two were dead!!!

Guest Guest
    though technically not an 80's band they influenced many 80's groups, especially female groups and launched the solo career's of Joan Jett and Lita Ford...THE RUNAWAYS drummer Sandy West died of cancer in 2006

never forget my first exposure to them in 77 or 78 when my sister would listen to CHERRY BOMB...I was 6 or 7 at the time and thought...those are "bad girls!" they cus and drink and smoke and spit! GOTTA LOVE IT!

mrsjorgy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motherogod View Post
    Umm, ANDY GIBB! Minnie Ripperton. Robbin Crosby of RATT-- that one hit me really hard. Yes, I was in high school in the late 80s, and big hair was my specialty. The VH1 "behind the music: Ratt" described Robbin's death as result of a heroin overdose, not specific complications from AIDS.

I had no clue about Jermaine Stewart or Ray Gillen... I LOVED badlands! Dreams in the dark....

It is rumored that Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue who got him (Robbin Crosby) into Heroin...gave him his first taste.

different kind of girl Guest
    Hutch died in 97. It'll be 10 years on Nov. 22nd.

sigh.

Bashterd Guest
    Ok so I not sure where I've been but Robert Palmer is dead ?????

Sorry Newbie here with I guess a newbie question.