Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's Hollywood vs. Old Hollywood

Today's Hollywood vs. Old Hollywood

Do you think today's Hollywood will have the same, more or less fascinating mystery, intrique, and history as old Hollywood? I think it will be hard to have the history because of the internet, papa, and everything is known about today's celebs.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Yeah I'm with you and the internet probably taking away a lot of the intrigue, since people already know about most of the stuff. That being said, people seem to have that fascination with Anna Nicole and such...but I think with most of the celebs, it's more of the "Trainwreck" effect rather than the fascinating intrigue...

knothere Guest
    old hollywood had clout
    new hollywood has its leggs spread

Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    old hollywood had clout
    new hollywood has its leggs spread

Weellll.. Old Hollywood had its legs spread too, everyone was just a lot more discreet about it.

LupeVelez Guest

LMAO!!!!

I love Hollywood. Erin and I go there every year for Mairlyn's birthday. The old Hollywood is still there if you take Scott's tour. The new Hollywood is fun as hell. HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD!

OBX Guest
    All 3 of my kids live there and they love it. It is nothing for them to meet the stars and they say the stars are just out there and no one recognizes them because they aren't in make-up and usually they are smaller than we perceive them to be.

My son was in a lunch place waiting to give his order and he said this little Mexican woman was standing next to him. He said she was familiar, but he couldn't place her, but when he looked again, it was Salma Hayek. I said, little Mexican woman? He said, yeah, she was very discreet and she is just a little woman, you would really have to look twice to recognize her.

sweetie103 Guest
    I dont think new hollywood will have the same fascination since everything is pretty much out there and hard to keep quiet about like old hollywood where the studios did everything to control the image of their stars.

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    Old Hollywood's Stars were like Gods and Godesses, today with reality tv any one can be famous and everyone knows now there just people who got lucky. period.

RoRo Guest
    Old Hollywood had the studio system to keep the stars protected and now they are all over ....no mystery left. Old Hollywood had scandals that were hidden for years now we have a new scandal exposed every dang day....aahhh the golden age is truly dead.

OBX Guest
    Well, the new Hollywood still protects the stars from the mainstream press, but it is done at the Agency level. If you want an interview with a big star or a star in a released movie, then you have to present your questions in advance.
    And those meet and greets with the press where the star is interviewed on TV on shows one after another, the TV interview must give the blank tape to the star's representative. Then the interview happens. If you surprised the star with a question not on the list, then you don't get your tape back.

That is why all of the TV interviews are so bland and the same, no matter how many TV shows send interviewers.

Great example of a star coming out from under the protection - Tom Cruise. He fired the big William Morris Agency and hired his sister. Immediately, all protection was gone and everything went wild. Apparently, you don't go after a star represented by the Agency, if you ever want to get an interview with any of the other stars they have under contract. When Tom Cruise fired them, it was open season on him. A year or so ago, he rehired them and now Tom Cruise doesn't have all of those articles about him anymore.

mommafreak Guest
    I love old Hollywood. Glamour, Glitz, the Clark Cable, Jean Harlow era. There are some now that I think actually belong back there, Catherine Zeta Jones and Charliez Theron (sp?), just to name a few, those who can actually be classy and not jerks.

Bake Guest
    Its funny this thread came up, I was just talking about this last night. Old Hollywood had an aire of mystery around it. There were "whispers" about this star behaving "badly" it was whispers...they all had class, wether they were sleeping around or not...and the lady's all kept their legs in check when entering or exiting a vehicle!! I think I few stars now a days have that same sort of "class" even with the internet, you don't hear the stuff about them, Charlize Theron, Julia roberts, george clooney, catherine zeta jones to name a few...now those are what "celebrity's" are to me...NOT the britney's, lindsay's or paris'....

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake View Post
    Its funny this thread came up, I was just talking about this last night. Old Hollywood had an aire of mystery around it. There were "whispers" about this star behaving "badly" it was whispers...they all had class, wether they were sleeping around or not...and the lady's all kept their legs in check when entering or exiting a vehicle!! I think I few stars now a days have that same sort of "class" even with the internet, you don't hear the stuff about them, Charlize Theron, Julia roberts, george clooney, catherine zeta jones to name a few...now those are what "celebrity's" are to me...NOT the britney's, lindsay's or paris'....
    Very well put. Plus they knew how to dress up

burgtwngrl Guest

Movie stars today vs yesterday's stars

Do you ever look at old photos of the starts from the silent ear up to the early 60's? Then you look at today's stars and think they aren't even in the same ballpark as a Harlow, Crawford, Swanson or Monroe...

I find the old actresses so classy looking thier hair and make up was flawless was it just the lighting? Or Am I right to say they belonged on a pedestal.

We have some classy ladies out there now don't get my wrong but the just don't see to have the "It" that stars had in the golden age. Why do you think that is?

Feel free to post photos of the best and brightest !
    Lisa

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I wish I knew how to post pics but I think you are right. Today's Actresses and Actors just aren't in the same catagory as the the actresses and actors in the Golden Age of Hollywood. Hollywood was so glamorous in those golden days.
    Then
    Bette Davis
    Rita Hayworth
    Ava Garland
    Elizabeth Taylor
    Lana Turner
    Marilyn Monroe

Today - don't remind me of glamour
    Cameron Diaz
    Lindsay Lohan (ick)
    Kate Hudson
    Julia Roberts
    Jennifer Aniston
    Britney Spears - if you want to call her an actress :P

Ones that come close
    Kate Winslet
    Angelina Jolie
    Reese Witherspoon
    Halle Berry

Jaxxx Guest
    i have to agree with the above, movie stars today are classless twits

John Connor Guest
    In all fairness the images of yesterdays stars were much more carefully guided by the studios. You saw them on the screen and in glamour shots. They were just as trashy as the stars of today because actors are actors. The internet especially has ripped open the mystique and glamour of "movie stars". Now we see them at their worst far more than their best.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    I agree. There are so few actors and actresses today who embody that charisma and style. Kate Winslet and Scarlett Johansen come close. George Clooney is every bit as suave as Carey Grant.
    ahh yes, George definitely reminds me of Cary Grant. Very sauve.

Shano Guest
    George Clooney.... yummmmmmmm

Sure the stars of yesterday were not flawless by any means. But I would agree that they were and acted like stars. Hell even Joanie had a ton of class while beating the crap outta Christina! lol kidding!

But I get what you are saying. I look at what we are shoved down our throats as "stars" and I am usually disgusted.

Everything was so golden then. But now it is more like rotted fish.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I agree that the studios carefully crafted their stars....I`m sure some were complete assholes, but for me that doesn`t deter from the fact that they and their movies were complete magic for me.....I see no stars today that compare to my idols of yesterday.....I grew up watching their movies and falling in love with the whole mystique....the Golden Age of Hollywood is simply that.....a Golden Age that will never come again

MorbidMolly Guest

MorbidMolly Guest

radiojane Guest
    I think we've lost a certain "aura" around our stars with the demise of the studio system and the rise of the over publicized, reality tv, let it all hang out world. The old stars were amazing because they worked their asses off to be amazing. They had vocal coaches, stylists, bosses that watched their every move and spin doctors 'creating' their persona. They were expected to behave like ladies and gentlemen, and at least pretend to be upright citizens. They were held up as ideals. This made them fascinating. Now I'm not saying this was 100% a good thing, and we all know that these people were less than saintly, but.....

.....Compare this:

To This....

Nuff said

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Great pictures Molly!! Love them
    I agree, the studios certainly had a lot of control of the stars of that era but they still showed a lot of class and glamour. Todays stars, you hear everything about them, all their dirty laundry and some of that info I could certainly live without. I prefer the mystery the stars of yesteryear held.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    George Clooney.... yummmmmmmm

Sure the stars of yesterday were not flawless by any means. But I would agree that they were and acted like stars. Hell even Joanie had a ton of class while beating the crap outta Christina! lol kidding!

But I get what you are saying. I look at what we are shoved down our throats as "stars" and I am usually disgusted.

Everything was so golden then. But now it is more like rotted fish.
    LOL, this made me laugh. Joannie, mommie dearest.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Love the posts Molls and Jane.... ("The Women" is one of my all time fav flicks by the way Jane... nice pic!)

Photography by the one and only George Hurrell....

Shano Guest

Shano Guest

More Cheese Please Guest

That is one of my favorite "Hurells" of Joan Crawford... freckles, lines on forehead, that indescribable look that he captured....priceless... I only wish I could see those blue eyes...

beatlebaby4 Guest
    So beautiful. Great pic of Joan. I like her aunatural. Very pretty.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Kimmy is my soulmate........

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Your face was everything in the silent era, so that carried over some. But I think the best reason for what it obviously a big difference is the old movie stars worked hard at their appearances--hours in fact. John Waters says it all on the DVD commentary of Mommie Dearest. In the opening scene where she's waking up at 4 am to scrub her face with a Brillo pad and soak it in vodka, etc., it's laughed at as a campy scene today, but stars then did everything to look good for a film, or even to go out. He comments that stars today just show up for a shoot still drunk from the night before with pillow marks on their faces. I think it says it all.
    OTOH, many of the silents in particular could never make it today. Big head and little body worked well then, I don't think Swanson was even 5 feet. Swanson could actually speak and act, so she's not the right example, but body types are a lot different. I always thought Giada deLaurentis would have made a really successful silent movie star, she's got this big oversized head with nice features and a teeny body.

Ahhhh....the magic of old Hollywood. I was wonderful, wasn't it? I think Radiojane says it all ^^^.

I don't think the stars (only old Hollywood had stars) had any better morals than the trash we're subjected to today, but the reporters kept it hidden. However, I believe their work ethic was much higher and they took much better care of themselves. I think back on Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, and the much photoed Joan Crawford. Those folks knew their faces were their money and worked to always look their best. Today - not so much. I don't know about all of you, but I don't leave the house without my hair fixed and makeup on (except to work in my gardens), and I believe the old stars were like that. This trash today will go in public with no makeup, hair not fixed, trashy, dirty clothes, all the while KNOWING the paps are right there and they'll be splattered in next week's People magazine. Why? I don't even do that and NO ONE wants my picture!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

DsplcdPrsn Guest
    The mystique that was Mae West (whom has the honor of being my avitar) is one of the embodiments of "old Hollywood". I find it distressing that there is no, so called, star that can capture the essence of a bygone era. A black and white photo of a bygone era paints such a much more glamourous picture than the full color, scantily clad, figures we see splashed across the covers of Elle, Vogue, and GQ today. Even the men cannot hold a candle to such beauty. I do think that Clooney, Pitt, and Depp are about as close as we will ever get to such stars as Grant, Bogart and the like. Even someone that portrayed themselves as the ultimate airhead like Lucille Ball always looked as if painted by the hand of God himself. We, as a society, have let ourselves go.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Ahhhh....the magic of old Hollywood. I was wonderful, wasn't it? I think Radiojane says it all ^^^.

I don't think the stars (only old Hollywood had stars) had any better morals than the trash we're subjected to today, but the reporters kept it hidden. However, I believe their work ethic was much higher and they took much better care of themselves. I think back on Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, and the much photoed Joan Crawford. Those folks knew their faces were their money and worked to always look their best. Today - not so much. I don't know about all of you, but I don't leave the house without my hair fixed and makeup on (except to work in my gardens), and I believe the old stars were like that. This trash today will go in public with no makeup, hair not fixed, trashy, dirty clothes, all the while KNOWING the paps are right there and they'll be splattered in next week's People magazine. Why? I don't even do that and NO ONE wants my picture!
    Me, too, I think it's an age thing. My parents just taught me never to leave the house without nice clothes and bathed. These 20-somethings today, famous or not, just don't care how they look.

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I think we've lost a certain "aura" around our stars with the demise of the studio system and the rise of the over publicized, reality tv, let it all hang out world. The old stars were amazing because they worked their asses off to be amazing. They had vocal coaches, stylists, bosses that watched their every move and spin doctors 'creating' their persona. They were expected to behave like ladies and gentlemen, and at least pretend to be upright citizens. They were held up as ideals. This made them fascinating. Now I'm not saying this was 100% a good thing, and we all know that these people were less than saintly, but.....
    Stars of yesteryear had it in their contracts that they couldn't bee seen in public without being perfectly dressed and made up.
    Joan Crawford was once berated early in her career for being shabbily dressed in the MGM commissary by a studio big wig. He basically told her if she wanted to be a star she'd better dress like one. From that day until the day she died she was never seen in public without being dressed to the "Nines".
    Also there weren't photographers hiding in the bushes and following stars every move to get every shot they can like Brittany Spears getting out of a car with no underwear. (At least she shaved.)
    They say that when Montgomery Clift had his car accident that the photographers showed up even before the ambulance did, but they didn't take a single photo because Elizabeth Taylor screamed obscenities at them and told them if they took one single picture of him like that she'd never let the bastards near her again. They took her at her word and no photos of him were ever taken.
    Warren Beaty once said that he, Natalie Wood and another actress were leaving a restaurant and when the photographers showed up Natalie Wood was the only one of them who didn't act like an idiot and take off running covering her face. She calmly stood there and posed for the photographers like a professional.
    When Desi Arnez used to go out and get drunk the L.A. police would take him home instead of arresting him. They'd call the house so someone could unlock the gate to the alley so they could deliver him to the back of the house instead of pulling a police car up to the front of the house.
    Also Jackie Kennedy a heavy smoker asked photographers never to take a photo of her with a cigarette or a drink in her hand and they respected her wishes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    (At least she shaved.)
    You owe me one computer monitor, Sam!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    You owe me one computer monitor, Sam!
    LOL!
    Well if you've seen the photo of Carmen Miranda taken accidentally in the 1940's where she needed a bushwhacker and the one of Brittany, it shows you just how far personal grooming has come in the past 60 years.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    In all fairness the images of yesterdays stars were much more carefully guided by the studios. You saw them on the screen and in glamour shots. They were just as trashy as the stars of today because actors are actors. The internet especially has ripped open the mystique and glamour of "movie stars". Now we see them at their worst far more than their best.
    I agree with this but would like to add that many stars from back when were filmed only in black white a much softer medium. When I was into photography I always did portraits in black anf white because it was easier to make them more flattering.

Apples and oranges as far as I am concerned.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I agree completely, but I think it may be also the fact that they were portrayed much differently onscreen because of the production code. People involved in the films back then were forced to be a little more creative when it came to situations involving sex and violence. The stars were up to the task (you know, they didn't have to take their tops off or blow people's heads off to generate an audience) which is why their style and charisma and sex appeal radiated a lot more.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely films post production code era that have the sex and violence and it works with just the same amount of style and taste (Bonnie and Clyde comes to mind) but there are also several films that have overdone it and still overdo it. There are still actors and actresses that have plenty of class and have remained tasteful. We just don't hear about them as often because they don't expel all their problems (and private parts) onto the world. Thus, they are considered not scandalous, boring.

But I do believe you are also right neil, apples and oranges. Styles change, people change, access to the stars' lives have changed.

DsplcdPrsn Guest
    Some say times have changed for the better. I am not so sure. All the technology in our world today gives us many advantages over the bygone era but is it really for the betterment of man?

TallulahDahling Guest
    Who is that in the middle, dahling with the long, flowing hair? Exquisite! Thanks for the pics! *smooches*

te=More Cheese Please;688561]

That is one of my favorite "Hurells" of Joan Crawford... freckles, lines on forehead, that indescribable look that he captured....priceless... I only wish I could see those blue eyes...[/quote]

Screwtape Guest

burgtwngrl Guest
    Was it the photography back then that made them larger than life? I mean the photos molly posted for instance they look angelic don't they? I'm sure they had issues and did the things the actresses of today to but the studios covered it up.... They just seem more beautiful back then and that's my point really. Those photos are of timeless beauty. The ones you see today really is Rotten Fish...

burgtwngrl Guest
    Screwtape just gave me puck material

How Stars of the Past differ from Stars of the Present

I have been on Scott's tour and also recently watched Dearly Departed Volume I. What was surprising to me is how the stars of the past lived as compared to the stars of today.

Many huge stars of the past like Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio, Lucille Ball, George Burns, Jack Benny, Jean Harlow and Jimmy Stewart all lived in houses that were not part of gated communities, there were no huge walls built around the entire compound, no security guard posted 24 hours a day, or no heroic efforts to build huge shrubs to block the views of the house. In fact the houses were very approachable.

These days, most stars like Madonna, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, Barbra Streissand, Oprah and virtually every rock star live behind huge walls and gates, have their own security staff and buy houses that can't really be seen from the street.

I can totally understand why today's stars would go to great lengths to protect their privacy, but what I don't understand is how the big stars of the past seemed to have no fear of people coming up their walkway, knocking on their door or peeping through the windows. Is it because they had more humility than today's stars, or that there were no TMZ or National Enquirer to deal with, or the thought of a deranged fan coming to kill them like Mark David Chapman or John Sweeney or Robert Bardo never crossed their mind?

Any ideas? It just seems really weird to me.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Beverly Hills Police Dept?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

people had manners then. not so much anymore.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    people had manners then. not so much anymore.
    I'm sorry--what did you say? I was texting.