Thread: Elsye Winters Mitchell

Danny62 Guest

Elsye Winters Mitchell

World War II American Civilian Casualty. The only adult civilian killed by an enemy attack upon the continental United States during World War II. On May 5, 1945 in a mountain area near Lakeview, Oregon, Mrs. Elsie Mitchell, the pregnant wife of a minister, and five neighborhood children were killed when an object they attempted to drag from the woods exploded. The object turned out to be a Japanese balloon bomb. The bomb was a product of a handful of Japanese attacks against the continental United States using high-altitude balloons carrying explosives.

Feb 26, 1919-May 5, 1945

Story Courtesy of findagrave,com
    Bio By: Clay Homister

http://www.seanet.com/~johnco/fugo.htm

Good story about the Ballon bombs. They had planned on using chemicals in the ballons but being as it didn't seem to work to well other than the one death the Japanese gave up the idea!!!

Thank God!!!

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Wow I had no idea about this, it was never covered in any history class I've taken. Thanks Danny for sharing.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I've never heard of it either. Great find. How sad!

Thanks, Danny.

I had read about that a while back, being a WWII hag too.

I also vaguely recall a story from WWII, in CA; don't remember if it was LA or SF; or where; wherein the air raid sirens went off and the ant-aircraft crews blazed away furiously for quite some time.

I heard one rumor that they were shooting at a UFO.

I actually saw a clip of that once; I'll see if I can find it.

Katie Guest
    I had never heard of it either. Wow, More info please!!!