Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

mandee1005 Guest
    After the break, they will announce it... I ( or somebody) will fill you in...fingers crossed!!

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Best Supporting Actor is coming up!!!

mandee1005 Guest
    And the winner is........heath....

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    YAY Heath Ledger wins! Congrats!!

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Awww his family accepts his award. Mom, dad, and sister..... wish Heath could have been up there.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post

So incredibly sad, though, isn't it??

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    So incredibly sad, though, isn't it??
    It is.. looked like everyone was trying to keep from crying..

KristinEileen Guest
    His parents gave such a good acceptance speech..Especially the part about how they accept the award on behalf of his Beautiful Matilda.

opheliahardin Guest
    Well, I certainly hope Mr Gabriel has the balls to accept his work being sung (badly) by some dork during the presentation.

I hope he wins it, regardless.

the only thing I watch the oscars for is for the memorial piece they do for those who have passed...the best part of the whole damn night.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

mandee1005 Guest
    I love Kate's speaches... she does such a great job.. so far i think everything is going well..i like how they decided to present the major awards by bringing out past winners..

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mandee1005 View Post
    I love Kate's speaches... she does such a great job.. so far i think everything is going well..i like how they decided to present the major awards by bringing out past winners..

I'm so happy Kate won! She is so beautiful!! I also like how thy bring past winners to present the awards--more heartfelt I think. Also, Angelina Jolie looked stunning tonight, very beautiful. I'm happy Sean Penn won, yay! What did everyone think of his speech?

mandee1005 Guest
    I thought it was pretty good..not a standard speach by far..but when does Penn give one? Overall, they did a good job with the Oscars this year..

MoonRabbit Guest
    I think Jennifer Anistan looked pretty. Loved how they showed Angelina and Brad when she was up there!

Rooting for Kate Winslet!!

Jennifer Anistan looked FANTASTIC! So beautiful!

I like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie but I think both of them were
    chicken shit with Jennifer.

Jen really showed them up tonight! Angelina had a strange phony
    smile when Jen was up there.
    I would feel funny around her had I stole a husband.

Bravo Kate! Awesome!

MoonRabbit Guest
    I thought the show was pretty good.
    But felt like crying when they showed all the people in show business
    that passed away.

Man was that sad.

I also couldn't get over how Jerry Lewis looked.
    Like he was put together with super glue.

But I guess we will all look that way if we get to his age.
    I also couldn't get over his long-suffering ex-wife Patti was sitting
    in the audience.

If my memory serves me correctly didn't he remarry someone half his age?

Ms. Black Guest
    I am so glad that they included Maila Nurmi in the In Memorium. Normally, the Academy shuts out anybody who isn't mainstream.

Ms. Black Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    His parents gave such a good acceptance speech..Especially the part about how they accept the award on behalf of his Beautiful Matilda.
    I agree. I can't get over how much she looks like him.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Best Oscar telecast in years! It was beautifully done this year, Hugh Jackman was aces as usual.
    Yay Kate Winslet! YAY SEAN PENN!!!

eta: I seriously think Angelina Jolie is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Dazzling.
    Last edited by Jack-O-Lantern; 02-22-2009 at 10:47 PM.

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Best Oscar telecast in years! It was beautifully done this year, Hugh Jackman was aces as usual.
    Yay Kate Winslet! YAY SEAN PENN!!!

eta: I seriously think Angelina Jolie is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Dazzling.

I agree! The possible thought of ( I know but a girl can dream can't see) being naked was enough for me to watch it. I think he brought a freshness to the telecast.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Now she looks like a movie star should look.
    ---
    Attached Images Attached Images  

YAY for Kate! It's about time she won an Oscar! She's one of the best film stars we've had for a long time! Kate rocks!

Guest Guest
    Ewww Angelina! Yuck!

24. 02-23-2009, 02:48 AM

I didn't watch the Oscars, but I heard Sean Penn won. I did want Mickey to win, but alas. On the other hand, Broke Back Mountain didn't win for best film, but an actor who portrays a gay character did. A sort of progress anyway.l
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Snoopy Guest
    I thought it was a pretty good show..Hugh Jackman did a great job..and I was so glad Heath Ledger won..it really was a very touching acceptance..Ben Stiller!! that was soo wrong..but soo Funny!

Reilly83 Guest

Smile

Hugh Jackman was a great host.

I really wanted Marisa Tomei to win as best supporting actress. I thought she did a great job much better than Penelope cruz.

I liked either Sean or Mickey as best actor but thought Mickey did a little better job. I really wasn't to wild about Sean's speech though.

I think they gave the movie Slumdog millionaire too many awards for a film don't think I will be watching this one.

I love Kate Winslet she always looks good and does a great job in her films thought her or Meryl Streep deserved best Actress.

And as for Angelina Jolie I just don't like her I really don't think she is a good actress. Even though she may be pretty her personality sucks.
    I think Jennifer is prettier than her.

I like Ben Stiller but he does do crazy things so I am not surprised he Mocked Joaquin. He is one of my favorite comedy actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Ewww Angelina! Yuck!
    No offense to anyone but I have to agree. She's very attractive, but she's such a snob, completely full of herself. I was watching the red carpet events and IMO she even short-timed Tim Gunn when he was interviewing her and Brad "PW" Pitt. Just not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly83 View Post
    Hugh Jackman was a great host.
    Jackman pisses me off. Incredibly good looking, talented, rich. When you look like that guy you've got license to screw up a few times, though he didn't even do that. As they say, women want to be with him, and men...want to be with him.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    No offense to anyone but I have to agree. She's very attractive, but she's such a snob, completely full of herself. I was watching the red carpet events and IMO she even short-timed Tim Gunn when he was interviewing her and Brad "PW" Pitt. Just not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.
    Lol, and her lips are bigger than her head!

Snudgie Guest
    Yay Kate!!!...Yay Jennifer Aniston!!!....Shut up and sod off Brad and Angelina!!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    What exactly was Aniston there for anyway? Presentation only? To make everyone uncomfortable?
    She most certainly will never be nominated for an academy award, her movies suck. She was fine for TV but she can't act (unless there's a separate category for tired romantic comedies combined with wooden acting and playing the same role with the same expression plastered on your face for the last 10 years--maybe "most overrated actress they've been trying to shove down our throats for years and she's still not any good even in a Rom Com"?). Even on FRIENDS she was irritating. I wish she'd go away, really tired of seeing that mug.

I love seeing the classic stars, like Sophia Loren and Eva Marie Saint. Very nice to see them again, and to note that Sophia is still HOT !

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jack-o-lantern View Post
    what exactly was aniston there for anyway? Presentation only? To make everyone uncomfortable?
    She most certainly will never be nominated for an academy award, her movies suck. She was fine for tv but she can't act (unless there's a separate category for tired romantic comedies combined with wooden acting and playing the same role with the same expression plastered on your face for the last 10 years--maybe "most overrated actress they've been trying to shove down our throats for years and she's still not any good even in a rom com"?). Even on friends she was irritating. I wish she'd go away, really tired of seeing that mug.

I love seeing the classic stars, like sophia loren and eva marie saint. Very nice to see them again, and to note that sophia is still hot !
    ***Snap***

cherryghost Guest
    It must be me but I found it a smug...... self congratulatory...... 2 hr waste of my time! I was dissapointed!

Most Australians know what Hugh needs to do!!! He was cringeworthy there but did win everyone over !

I am over the cult of celebrity..... Im afraid and nights like this dont impress me at all! Sorry guys IMOP......

Just Couldnt get past, generic gowns.....mouths and smirks!

Guest Guest
    Hugh Jackman is my next ex husband, as soon as he gets rid of that wife of his and that restraining order against me he's ALL MINE!!! hee hee hee!

I didn't get to catch all of the Oscars because my 19 year old nephew came home last night from Iraq for his 2 week leave...welcoming him home was a little more important..but I'm happy that Kate won and that Sean Penn won that actually surprised me...I thought for sure the underdog Micky would get it...but I love Sean in everything he does so kudos for him! I totally missed the 2nd half give or take...in the memorials did they acknowledge Brad Renfro this time???? I certainly hope so!

Ms. Black Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    in the memorials did they acknowledge Brad Renfro this time???? I certainly hope so!
    They didn't, and it pissed me off.

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Jackman pisses me off. Incredibly good looking, talented, rich. When you look like that guy you've got license to screw up a few times, though he didn't even do that. As they say, women want to be with him, and men...want to be with him.
    And probably have.

He really is pretty close to perfect but almost too pretty for me. I like a man a little rougher looking....

So, I guess I'll have to pass up his advances.

Nosgothic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    so --- miley is FIRST on the red carpet and LOOK AT WHAT SHE IS WEARING!!!
    poor kid.
    http://perezhilton.com/2009-02-22-that-looks-heavy
    I like the dress. =X

I'm sorry but I don't think he deserved to win. Just because he died young, he should be awarded with an Oscar. Now granted I never seen the Dark Night but come on! Marilyn Monroe,and James Dean haven't even been awarded honorary Oscars, or Paul Newman who had to wait over 25 years to win. In my opinion far better actors and actresses who have been nominated or not have never won (Cary Grant, Judy Garland and Alfred Hitchcock). JMO

soonerpimp Guest
    Wow.....A Dancing Wolverine

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Black View Post
    They didn't, and it pissed me off.
    omg! and after last year when they were criticized for it and they said he wasn't profiled because he died after the cut off date...those ASSHOLES! Brad had his issues, issues that killed him and maybe he didn't have the portfolio some other young actors had but what few movies he was in were excellent performances...if the drugs hadn't gotten him he would have one day won that damn statue!!! he was that good!

dammit...did they include Heath AGAIN??? I bet they did! seriously I'm pissed off..sending a letter of complaint to the academy AGAIN!

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin76 View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't think he deserved to win. Just because he died young, he should be awarded with an Oscar. Now granted I never seen the Dark Night but come on! Marilyn Monroe,and James Dean haven't even been awarded honorary Oscars, or Paul Newman who had to wait over 25 years to win. In my opinion far better actors and actresses who have been nominated or not have never won (Cary Grant, Judy Garland and Alfred Hitchcock). JMO
    Oh well then you're missing out! Despite the fact that I'm pretty sure it was partly given to him because he died young, I feel that the Joker is a very complex character, and Heath pretty much nailed it. I really do think he deserved it.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujicakes View Post
    Oh well then you're missing out! Despite the fact that I'm pretty sure it was partly given to him because he died young, I feel that the Joker is a very complex character, and Heath pretty much nailed it. I really do think he deserved it.
    I am going to agree...the character of the Joker wasn't one of a clown - like the Jack Nicholson version. This goofy, flamboyant man that really was sad on the inside. This Joker was a killer to be a killer, a thief to be a thief, a criminal to be a criminal. He was not looking for gain monetarily or by fame. He was bad to be bad. And he was FANTASTIC.

When I first starting watching it, I must admit I almost couldn't stomach it. He is a awful, awful character. but as you watch the movies you are able to forget that Heath is the Joker. He's just the Joker. And although I have love Heath from the very beginning of his career - I never rooted for him in the movie. I didn't want him to "win".

In contrast, Brokeback Mountain reminded me a lot of the real Heath. He had a quietness and determination and stubborness and a sweetness to him and watching in that film - I thought he played it so well because it was more like him. Not a stretch. But I have not been able to watch it since his death...it is still too near the surface.

I actually had the pleasure of meeting Peter nearly 15 years ago, backstage at WOMAD in Atlanta (I managed to sneak backstage using a photo press pass... ), and while it was a very brief meeting, he did come off as a genuinely nice guy, very polite and kind-hearted. I can understand just not being able to bring yourself to mangle your own material like that, so I don't blame him one bit for that one.

As for the Oscars themselves, I must be the only person in the world who actually enjoys the acceptance speeches, and personally I wouldn't mind if they cut out most of the extraneous song-and-dance routines. After all, it is an awards show, and for a lot of winners, esp. in the tech categories, this may be their one big shot at the spotlight, so why not let them enjoy it? Granted, this doesn't mean people should ramble on and on and ON, but it always bothers me to see several people get up there to accept an award, and only one of them getting to say anything--perhaps they all agreed in advance that it would work out that way, but damn it, they all ought to get the chance to thank God/their SO/their kids/everyone they worked with/everyone they've ever known (I believe Maureen Stapleton actually did say that last bit when she won for Reds back in the day...). It's one moment where most people seem to drop the mask and let their feelings show, and damn it, I like seeing that. (I also liked having the group of previous winners call out each of the acting nominees by name and give them each some individual praise; it felt very welcoming to me, and was a nice way to give all the nominees a pat on the back for a job well done, even if they didn't end up w/the big score at the end of the night.)

Just my $.02 worth (OK, more like $2.50, but who's counting? )

Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    dammit...did they include Heath AGAIN??? I bet they did! seriously I'm pissed off..sending a letter of complaint to the academy AGAIN!
    Heath wasn't in the photos in the memoriam section, most likely because they paid tribute to him last year (if I recall correctly).
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

radiojane Guest

Embarrasing Oscar Speeches

I only caught ten minutes of the Oscars this year, and it was some painfully stilted and unfunny "banter" between Jack Black and Jen Aniston. Anyway, in honor of the season, I thought you'd like to see this:

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=4207

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I only caught ten minutes of the Oscars this year, and it was some painfully stilted and unfunny "banter" between Jack Black and Jen Aniston. Anyway, in honor of the season, I thought you'd like to see this:

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=4207
    i agree with most of them except Palance - that was one of the better speeches in Oscar history.

Guest Guest
    Hehe funny people! I think Gwyneth had been overdoing the crack before she went up there!

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Hehe funny people! I think Gwyneth had been overdoing the crack before she went up there!
    i think that people who tend to cry with snot running down their faces should carry extra kleenex.

halle.

that was just ridiculous. oh, brother.

hoxharding Guest
    I totally forgot that Tom outed his old drama teacher. There was a movie 'inspired' by this starring Kevin Klein.
    I happy I am not the only one who thought the Jack Black/Jennifer Aniston
    presentation was ackward and stiff.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I totally forgot that Tom outed his old drama teacher. There was a movie 'inspired' by this starring Kevin Klein.
    I happy I am not the only one who thought the Jack Black/Jennifer Aniston
    presentation was awkward and stiff.
    I was at work late that night, and I carefully timed my evening so I could be taking inventory in the conference room while the oscars were on. I came in at that part and turned the damned thing off. Yechh!