Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345613 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 686

Thread: The Oscars

  1. #151
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Oh, by the way, they also missed Brad Renfo in the Memorial, What the fuck?
    Now I can't believe I MISSED THAT!? You're absolutely right! that's bullshit!

  2. #152
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    Before the montage began, it said, "In memoriam, Feb 01, 2007 - Jan 31st, 2008. Roy passed away this month. Hence, he will be shown next year. They have to have a cutoff at some point so they can have ample time to produce the clip.
    yeah yeah I get the whole "production" aspect...but they could have squeezed him in..IMO they had enough time they could have squeezed him in...two nominations in his career...enough said!

    someone brought it up...but not mentioning Brad Renfro??? he died a week or so before Heath...and I thought he was a damn good actor..Apt Pupil and Bully were outstanding!

    they BOTH better be on next years or BOOOOOOOOOO to the Oscars!

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,539
    It's a shame a plane didn't fly into the building
    That would of given us Death Hags something
    to talk about.





    jk I Love celebrities.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    378
    I think it's a crime that Alfred Hitchcock never won an oscar as Best Director. He directed "Rebecca" which won best picture, but he never one an oscar himself.
    "The whole world is about three drinks behind. -Humphrey Bogart

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    they BOTH better be on next years or BOOOOOOOOOO to the Oscars!
    i know, its pretty pathetic and rude, no respect at all.
    it seems that TMZ asked the Academy about not including Renfro, and they said that they cannot include everyone, they have no time. Bullshit!!
    They include agents and they dont have two seconds to include Brad's face in the montage??!!!

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    It's a shame a plane didn't fly into the building
    That would of given us Death Hags something
    to talk about.





    jk I Love celebrities.
    Oh, my!!
    i bet that Mickey Rooney would have survived

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,747
    Great thread!! I really can't stand Titanic or Forrest Gump, so whatever they won I select as least deserved. I loved Gary Cooper in High Noon, it is one of my favorites.

    I used to really like the Oscars, but so much crap has won the last several years, I've lost interest. I didn't see anything of the big movies up for major Oscars this year except the Julie Christie one, which was pretty good, but I didn't think it merited any Oscars.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    Before the montage began, it said, "In memoriam, Feb 01, 2007 - Jan 31st, 2008. Roy passed away this month. Hence, he will be shown next year. They have to have a cutoff at some point so they can have ample time to produce the clip.
    A cutoff, how petty and small-time is that? All they had to do was dig up a single photo of Roy, that's all they did for any of them anyway. Bad decision, especially for an actor of Roy's stature. They need to include everyone up to the day of the Oscar broadcast.

    One more reason why the Oscars show has so little flair, soul, surprises or fun.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnny Cashville
    Posts
    22,611
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    Great thread!! I really can't stand Titanic or Forrest Gump, so whatever they won I select as least deserved. I loved Gary Cooper in High Noon, it is one of my favorites.

    I used to really like the Oscars, but so much crap has won the last several years, I've lost interest. I didn't see anything of the big movies up for major Oscars this year except the Julie Christie one, which was pretty good, but I didn't think it merited any Oscars.
    My problem is there are so many award shows the awards aren't important anymore. I think we're a little tired of Hollywood patting themselves in the backs all the time.

    You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    thatta way ---->
    Posts
    5,979
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE: One of the least deserved.
    If that's the one I'm thinking of... I thought Cate Blanchett did a much better job in Elizabeth.
    ♥♥♥

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    canadia
    Posts
    4,601
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE: One of the least deserved. Saving Private Ryan was way better.
    l disagree. war doesn't always beat out love.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hellabama
    Posts
    259
    Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love was in NO WAY Oscar worthy

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,451
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Worst dressed in my opinion:


    REBECCA MILLER


    CAMERON DIAZ (gosh, her face looked terrible also)


    TILDA SWINTON
    Did Tilda not wear any makeup for a reason? She looks like a vapiere who is running several quarts low right before dawn. Is this always her look or did she just get a bad stylist for the Oscars?
    Any day above ground is a good day.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    "Dude, Hollywood is built on Europeans! Go back, look," Tilda Swinton, 47, who won for her icy lawyer in Michael Clayton, said in an interview backstage. "And I'm just really sad I couldn't give a speech in Gaelic... don't tell everybody but we're everywhere.



    UGH. Old broads should not say "Dude!"

    Especially old English broads, on Oscar night!

    Or Scots, Irish, whatever she is.
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 02-25-2008 at 07:36 PM.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Off the top of my head:

    Most: George C. Scott for Patton

    Gotta think more about least.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Ok, got it.

    Now, don't get me wrong, I love Julie Andrews, but.....for Mary Poppins?

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    960
    Kim Basinger for Best Supporting Actress in LA Confidential.

    Excellent movie on all counts, but not only was she in the movie but for a scant 15 minutes, but she was only average in it as well.

    That's my least deserved...

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Hi RLR, thanks for your comments
    i dont think that The DEPARTED is Scorsese's best film.
    I think that they gave him the award because it was about time to do so!!
    i think he should have won and Oscar for best director before, for Taxi Driver, Ragging Bull or Goodfellas.
    i liked the Departed but its not one of my Scorsese's favorites.
    Yup, I hear you. Although I loved the Departed I know that it is not considered his absolute best work and that they gave him the Oscar mostly because he got shafted so many other times. I loved Goodfellas too. Who won Best Director that year instead of Scorsese?

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    My problem is there are so many award shows the awards aren't important anymore. I think we're a little tired of Hollywood patting themselves in the backs all the time.
    Oh, but they have to keep patting themselves on the back. After all, they are so underpaid and underappreciated for all the work they do........

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    420
    I think Jeremy Renner's portrayal of Jeffrey Dahmer in 2002's Dahmer should have won him an Oscar. And I'm not saying that just because he's my siggy.
    You were born with an asshole, Doris! You don't need Chuck!

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    588
    What about Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine last year? He wasn't in the movie very long and I didn't think his performance was particularly noteworthy. I didn't see Dreamgirls so I can't make a comparison but the word was that Eddie Murphy got gypped.........

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,776
    Hey Tilda, that brooch is not disguising the fact that you are wearing a velvet Hefty bag!

    And seriously, when I don't feel like doing my hair, I stick it in a ponytail just like Cameron Diaz, only my hair is dark and curly, not limp and strawlike in color and texture.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnny Cashville
    Posts
    22,611
    I love Tilda, but she looks so awful with that hair! She never looked better than in "Narnia." SHe was gorgeous.



    Constantine, though an awful film, was a close second.

    You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    I can't stay outta this one, here's my list of travesties from now back to 1980:
    • 2005: Crash won? Over Brokeback Mountain? Huh? And did I hear the name Reese Witherspoon mentioned in the same sentence as "Academy Award"??? WHA WHA WHAAAT??? She didn't even ACT like the June Carter I ever saw on TV, much less look like her. Judi Dench should have won for Mrs. Henderson Presents--she was PERFECT, in a perfect movie.
    • 2001: Don't get me started. Denzel Washington in B-movie Training Day over Sean Penn (amazing in i am sam) and Russell Crowe (A Beautiful Mind)?? Denzel was MUCH better in this year's American Gangster. Halle? A marginal actress at best, but she had the "buzz" whatever that REALLY is...
    • 2000: An Oscar for Julia Roberts, go figure--if anyone should have won an Oscar for Erin Brockovich, it was Albert Finney, who didn't, naturally. Roberts was competing with one of our all-time BEST actresses, in the performance of her career: Ellen Burstyn in Requiem For A Dream. That was robbery, sheer lunacy...blame that ol' BUZZ again.
    • 1998: Ian McKellen shoulda won (Gods and Monsters) over Roberto Benigni (Life is Beautiful). Period.
    • 1997: The year I almost threw my TV out onto the street. Titanic, best picture, over L.A. Confidential, truly one of the best pictures of the DECADE, much less that year?? Bullshit.
    • 1996: The English Patient won best picture over Fargo. Enough said.
    • 1994: Another year where the academy got all stupid and mushy: Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction. God help us.
    • 1990: Dances With Wolves, best picture? I mean it was pretty good, I didn't hate it or anything, but best picture? Better than Goodfellas, folks??? THAT is the move Scorcese should have won the Oscar for, not his MUCH lesser work, The Departed.
    • 1988: Another ridiculous year. Rain Man, a better movie and best picture winner over Dangerous Liaisons ? I don't THINK so. And Jodie Foster (who I LOVE, don't get me wrong) in The Accused winning best actress over Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons (her career best thus far imo and a SEARING performance), or Meryl Streep, truly heartbreaking, in A Cry in the Dark? EITHER performance was better than Jodie's that year. Jodie did go on to win ANOTHER best actress oscar, which she truly deserved, in 1991 for Silence of the Lambs.
    • 1986: I normally like Oliver Stone's films but Platoon didn't do it for me, especially since one of Woody Allen's all-time best films, Hannah And Her Sisters, was competing against it and lost. And Marlee Matlin, another VERY marginal actress (Children of a Lesser God) winning best actress over Sigourney Weaver in Aliens? WTF ??????? And where is the academy's love for Sigourney Weaver anyway, no Oscar YET??? WTF AGAIN !!!???
    • 1984: Amadeus, one of the most tedious films ever produced imo, wins best picture over the gorgeous, amazing A Passage to India ?? Or the unforgettable The Killing Fields, both SO much better than Amadeus. And whose bright idea was it to give Sally Field a **2nd** best actress oscar, for her horrid overacting in Places In The Heart?? Especially when you had competition from both Vanessa Redgrave and Judy Davis. What gives???
    • 1982: Gandhi (just shoot me). Over E.T., Tootsie and The Verdict, all SUPERB films. And Ben Kingsley, best actor over Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie and Paul Newman (in what might just be his best performance EVER in The Verdict--a WAY better film than that which he finally DID win the Oscar for--The Color of Money). A bad year.
    • 1981: Chariots of Fire (yawwwwnnnn zzzzzzzz) over Reds. Go figure. Katherine Hepburn (On Golden Pond), she was of course marvelous (I hate sentimental awards), BUT this was the year Marsha Mason SHOULD have gotten hers for Only When I Laugh, one of the best, funniest and most touching movies I've ever seen, period.
    • 1980: A bad year for best actor and actress...Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull (one of my least favorite Scorcese films and DeNiro performances) won over John Hurt in The Elephant Man, as sensitive and amazing a performance as any of us are ever likely to see. And Sissy Spacek (who SHOULD have won hers for Carrie) winning for Coal Miner's Daughter over Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People, as chilling a portrait of motherhood and withheld love as I've ever seen...and I don't even really LIKE MTM...but I'll never forget her in Ordinary People.
    ...and on THAT sour note, I'll end this. Sorry but I'm somewhat passionate about this and there's just so little FAIRNESS involved, it's all about politics, popularity, who's "overdue" (see Scorcese last year) and that ever-elusive BUZZ--when it SHOULD be about who gave the best performance, or what the best movie was, THIS YEAR. Unfortunately it's rarely about that!



  25. #175
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,497
    Well said JJ! You rock.

    David Lynch should have won an Oscar by now. ROBBED.

  26. #176
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Jack....next time you post....try to give the subject matter a little serious thought. Ok?

    Tee hee, seriously now...who would you say is the SINGLE MOST DESERVING thespian ever to get the Oscar? I posted mine earlier--George C. Scott, Patton.

  27. #177
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    Well said JJ! You rock.

    David Lynch should have won an Oscar by now. ROBBED.
    Yes, Yes, YES...for Mulholland Dr., like you've said before P. Naomi Watts too, I just love her in anything she does.



  28. #178
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Jack....next time you post....try to give the subject matter a little serious thought. Ok?

    Tee hee, seriously now...who would you say is the SINGLE MOST DESERVING thespian ever to get the Oscar? I posted mine earlier--George C. Scott, Patton.
    LOL Noelle I'm so BORED, can you tell ????

    I'm gonna have to call this a tossup between Elizabeth Taylor (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) and Maggie Smith (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie). I'd say those are two of the most perfect performances on film....not taking anything away from George C. though, he was indeed amazing in 'Patton.'



  29. #179
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    LOL Noelle I'm so BORED, can you tell ????

    I'm gonna have to call this a tossup between Elizabeth Taylor (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) and Maggie Smith (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie). I'd say those are two of the most perfect performances on film....not taking anything away from George C. though, he was indeed amazing in 'Patton.'

    I just adore Maggie Smith. I love anything she is in. Brilliant.

  30. #180
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Yes, Yes, YES...for Mulholland Dr., like you've said before P. Naomi Watts too, I just love her in anything she does.
    Also Blue Velvet, that movie stands the test of time. Just great performances by all. Dennis Hooper...... My God.

  31. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    I just adore Maggie Smith. I love anything she is in. Brilliant.
    ANYTHING. I'll watch it if she's in it, doesn't matter what it is. How many people can we say that about?



  32. #182
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,497
    I just read a news report that said the ceremony had the worst ratings EVER.

    Not suprising.

  33. #183
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Oh, you do not disappoint.

    HOW could I forget Elizabeth?
    "Georgie Boy had LOTS of big ambition
    In spite of something funny in his past
    Which Georgie Boy here turned into a novel!
    His first attempt and also...his...LAST!
    Hey! [Cackle] I rhymed! I RHYMED!"

    God, to think she was only 34 years old!

    And "Miss Jean Brodie"? Like, omg! Another treasure trove of classic lines:

    "I am Teddy's lover!"

    "YOU? Teddy's lover?"

  34. #184
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Oh, you do not disappoint.

    HOW could I forget Elizabeth?
    "Georgie Boy had LOTS of big ambition
    In spite of something funny in his past
    Which Georgie Boy here turned into a novel!
    His first attempt and also...his...LAST!
    Hey! [Cackle] I rhymed! I RHYMED!"

    God, to think she was only 34 years old!

    And "Miss Jean Brodie"? Like, omg! Another treasure trove of classic lines:

    "I am Teddy's lover!

    "YOU? Teddy's lover?"
    "Georgie Boy here's like a cog--no, a BOG--in the History Dept.! Yeah, that's it--he's a BOG, a SWAMP--in the History Dept. HEY SWAMPIE !!!!"

    ET is MONUMENTAL in that movie, my jaw drops every time I watch it (and that's gotta be 50+ times, MINIMUM, by now)....



  35. #185
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    "Clink.......clink........"

    Hey, I think I recall reading Albee's "Virginia Woolf" was really about a gay couple. Thoughts?

    AND--would you have LOVED to have seen Kathleen Turner in it as much as I?
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 02-25-2008 at 09:53 PM.

  36. #186
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    "Clink.......clink........"

    Hey, I think I recall reading Albee's "Virginia Woolf" was really about a gay couple. Thoughts?

    AND--would you have LOVED to have seen Kathleen Turner in it as much as I?
    Albee is gay, as I'm sure you know, so I'm SURE a whole lot of his personal demons went into that, so I wouldn't doubt it one bit.

    As for the show with Kathleen Turner, I came THIS CLOSE to going to NY just to see it, didn't work out but yes I would've given my eye TEETH to see it!



  37. #187
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    So what, in your opinion, did the "dead" child symbolize? I've never been able to puzzle that one out.

  38. #188
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    So what, in your opinion, did the "dead" child symbolize? I've never been able to puzzle that one out.
    It's a tough one, I read something new into it every time I see the film...my guess--and it IS a guess--is that the 'child' symbolizes all the secrets, small eccentricities and 'private' stuff that build up in any relationship over the years--and how exposing those secrets to others can devastate trust itself. And when the trust is gone, so is the relationship.

    It's so undefined, but the movie always leaves me emotionally drained, like I've just been through that night with them. It has SUCH power and is truly a masterpiece.



  39. #189
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Quote Originally Posted by RLR12 View Post
    Yup, I hear you. Although I loved the Departed I know that it is not considered his absolute best work and that they gave him the Oscar mostly because he got shafted so many other times. I loved Goodfellas too. Who won Best Director that year instead of Scorsese?
    Goodfellas---one of those flix I was all geared up not to like....LOVED LOVED LOVED it.

    And as a matter of fact---LORRAINE BRACCO WUZ ROBBED!

  40. #190
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    It's a tough one, I read something new into it every time I see the film...my guess--and it IS a guess--is that the 'child' symbolizes all the secrets, small eccentricities and 'private' stuff that build up in any relationship over the years--and how exposing those secrets to others can devastate trust itself. And when the trust is gone, so is the relationship.

    It's so undefined, but the movie always leaves me emotionally drained, like I've just been through that night with them. It has SUCH power and is truly a masterpiece.

    As good an interpretation as I've ever read--and better expressed than most critics!

  41. #191
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by RLR12 View Post
    Yup, I hear you. Although I loved the Departed I know that it is not considered his absolute best work and that they gave him the Oscar mostly because he got shafted so many other times. I loved Goodfellas too. Who won Best Director that year instead of Scorsese?
    That would be Kevin Costner. Insanity.



  42. #192
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    As good an interpretation as I've ever read--and better expressed than most critics!
    Thanks, I've read the play a couple of times too, so that helps as you can take your time and re-read passages, etc. There are so many layers of meaning...it's a tough nut to crack!



  43. #193
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 4th Circle of Hell (East Texas)
    Posts
    1,546
    Least Deserved:
    Halle Berry- PLEASE!!!!!! She won because she was a wet dream for the academy !
    The Departed- Like Whoopi Goldberg, they gave it to the right person, but for the wrong film
    Denzel Washington: same as above. Training Day was not his best role. He should have won for Malcolm X or Hurricane
    Tired now, will be back...

  44. #194
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amsterdam, Sin City of the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,200
    I couldn't believe that Crash won instead of Brokeback Mountain. I was really disappointed. Tom Hanks in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump. And I do like Tom Hanks, but I just didn't think that this was the best acting job by an actor. Espescially in Philadelphia where you can see him wearing some sort of bathing cap, so that it appears he's bald. Come on, Robert De Niro would have shaved his head!
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...


  45. #195
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amsterdam, Sin City of the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,200
    Al Pacino-Scent of a woman.

    Al Pacino is my favourite actor, but he should have won for The Godfather part 2 and/or Scerpico.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...


  46. #196
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lubbock/San Angelo Texas
    Posts
    3,461
    i'm always on my soapbox about this one, i think dicaprio was TREMENDOUS as howard hughes in the aviator. that will probably be his best work...
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"



  47. #197
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,186
    I have to agree..Halle Berry..pffftt! I really never considered her an Oscar worthy actress.And yeah I still scratch my head over Chariots of fire!
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

  48. #198
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I can't stay outta this one, here's my list of travesties from now back to 1980:
    • 2005: Crash won? Over Brokeback Mountain? Huh? And did I hear the name Reese Witherspoon mentioned in the same sentence as "Academy Award"??? WHA WHA WHAAAT??? She didn't even ACT like the June Carter I ever saw on TV, much less look like her. Judi Dench should have won for Mrs. Henderson Presents--she was PERFECT, in a perfect movie.
    • 2001: Don't get me started. Denzel Washington in B-movie Training Day over Sean Penn (amazing in i am sam) and Russell Crowe (A Beautiful Mind)?? Denzel was MUCH better in this year's American Gangster. Halle? A marginal actress at best, but she had the "buzz" whatever that REALLY is...
    • 2000: An Oscar for Julia Roberts, go figure--if anyone should have won an Oscar for Erin Brockovich, it was Albert Finney, who didn't, naturally. Roberts was competing with one of our all-time BEST actresses, in the performance of her career: Ellen Burstyn in Requiem For A Dream. That was robbery, sheer lunacy...blame that ol' BUZZ again.
    • 1998: Ian McKellen shoulda won (Gods and Monsters) over Roberto Benigni (Life is Beautiful). Period.
    • 1997: The year I almost threw my TV out onto the street. Titanic, best picture, over L.A. Confidential, truly one of the best pictures of the DECADE, much less that year?? Bullshit.
    • 1996: The English Patient won best picture over Fargo. Enough said.
    • 1994: Another year where the academy got all stupid and mushy: Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction. God help us.
    • 1990: Dances With Wolves, best picture? I mean it was pretty good, I didn't hate it or anything, but best picture? Better than Goodfellas, folks??? THAT is the move Scorcese should have won the Oscar for, not his MUCH lesser work, The Departed.
    • 1988: Another ridiculous year. Rain Man, a better movie and best picture winner over Dangerous Liaisons ? I don't THINK so. And Jodie Foster (who I LOVE, don't get me wrong) in The Accused winning best actress over Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons (her career best thus far imo and a SEARING performance), or Meryl Streep, truly heartbreaking, in A Cry in the Dark? EITHER performance was better than Jodie's that year. Jodie did go on to win ANOTHER best actress oscar, which she truly deserved, in 1991 for Silence of the Lambs.
    • 1986: I normally like Oliver Stone's films but Platoon didn't do it for me, especially since one of Woody Allen's all-time best films, Hannah And Her Sisters, was competing against it and lost. And Marlee Matlin, another VERY marginal actress (Children of a Lesser God) winning best actress over Sigourney Weaver in Aliens? WTF ??????? And where is the academy's love for Sigourney Weaver anyway, no Oscar YET??? WTF AGAIN !!!???
    • 1984: Amadeus, one of the most tedious films ever produced imo, wins best picture over the gorgeous, amazing A Passage to India ?? Or the unforgettable The Killing Fields, both SO much better than Amadeus. And whose bright idea was it to give Sally Field a **2nd** best actress oscar, for her horrid overacting in Places In The Heart?? Especially when you had competition from both Vanessa Redgrave and Judy Davis. What gives???
    • 1982: Gandhi (just shoot me). Over E.T., Tootsie and The Verdict, all SUPERB films. And Ben Kingsley, best actor over Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie and Paul Newman (in what might just be his best performance EVER in The Verdict--a WAY better film than that which he finally DID win the Oscar for--The Color of Money). A bad year.
    • 1981: Chariots of Fire (yawwwwnnnn zzzzzzzz) over Reds. Go figure. Katherine Hepburn (On Golden Pond), she was of course marvelous (I hate sentimental awards), BUT this was the year Marsha Mason SHOULD have gotten hers for Only When I Laugh, one of the best, funniest and most touching movies I've ever seen, period.
    • 1980: A bad year for best actor and actress...Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull (one of my least favorite Scorcese films and DeNiro performances) won over John Hurt in The Elephant Man, as sensitive and amazing a performance as any of us are ever likely to see. And Sissy Spacek (who SHOULD have won hers for Carrie) winning for Coal Miner's Daughter over Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People, as chilling a portrait of motherhood and withheld love as I've ever seen...and I don't even really LIKE MTM...but I'll never forget her in Ordinary People.
    ...and on THAT sour note, I'll end this. Sorry but I'm somewhat passionate about this and there's just so little FAIRNESS involved, it's all about politics, popularity, who's "overdue" (see Scorcese last year) and that ever-elusive BUZZ--when it SHOULD be about who gave the best performance, or what the best movie was, THIS YEAR. Unfortunately it's rarely about that!

    JOL,
    Although I loved The Departed, I know that it is not considered among Scorsese's best and he got the Oscar in large part because he was overdue. I am just curious. Do you think he actually deserved it last year in addition to being overdue or do you think there was something better last year?

  49. #199
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    That would be Kevin Costner. Insanity.
    OMG - for Breakdances with Wolves?! That is insanity......

  50. #200
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    i'm always on my soapbox about this one, i think dicaprio was TREMENDOUS as howard hughes in the aviator. that will probably be his best work...
    Jess,

    It is so funny that you said that because - long story - that movie is what started me down the path to ending up at this site and message board! LC is a very good actor. I think he will eventually win his Oscar - he just won't get it at such a young age. Kind of what JOL was referring to in saying that there are a lot of politics and traditions at play - nobody that young has ever won for best actor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •