Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post
    sorry for this I don't want any emails, hate mails, anything else. ..... Quentin Tarrentino is a WACK. JOB. Not a fan although the only 1 movie I like is Pulp Fiction.... other than that, he is a crazy, wacko who needs help.
    This is a forum where ALL opinions are welcome, so that shouldn't happen. If it does because someone doesn't understand that, hit the report button and do not engage.

On the subject, QT is rather bizarre with his foot fetishness and other pecadillos. I like some of his movies though. Pulp Fiction is one of my all-time faves and the Kill Bill series is fun.

Edit: Hey Jane, is the Hitchcock flick a new or old one?

I recently discovered some Oscar Vault footage online that's like home movies of stars. Some footage of Hitchcock goofing around on a bike and hamming it up for the camera. Have you seen that?
    Last edited by SomeChick; 02-27-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Bidmor Guest
    "Hitchcock" was released last year with Anthony Hopkins in the title role and Helen Mirren as Alma Hitchcock. The film is set during the making of Psycho. Anthony Perkins and Vera Miles had roles in "Hitchcock". I haven't seen it yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0975645/

radiojane Guest
    Thanks Bidmor. I never saw any mention of it until now. I'm very interested to watch it.

I can't wait to see Hitchcock but remember there is Bates Motel on A&E .... sometime in March....

& ps they missed Larry Hagman & Shermen Hemsley in the 'In Memoroum' part
    Last edited by Tiffany; 02-27-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pryncis Guest
    I still can't find a decent video of the memorial... I've looked on youtube for a few days now and can't find anything not recorded from a phone in front of a TV!

6. 03-15-2013, 10:55 PM

Reason
    Spammer

Anyone else watching?? Love Ellen as host. I am sort of hoping for Leo because I have thought he should get one for years - but I have to say that likely Matthew is the one who should take it this year. Loved Jared Leto's speech.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

I need those sparkly red sneakers that the guy who sang was wearing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    I need those sparkly red sneakers that the guy who sang was wearing.
    Okay but please no hat!!
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

And I'm incredibly jealous of how awesome Karen O is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Jared Leto won for best supporting actor. That was all I needed to see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Best actor; Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyer's Club."

Well, I did give him a big rap in the movie review thread, so no surprises for me.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 03-02-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Seagorath Guest
    I'm just watching for JLaw...so divine.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Best actor; Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyer's Club.
    Yay!

Lots of Ellen on the show this year. Good deal. And Bette Midler after the montage of actors we lost was divine!

Did anyone else think Liza Minnelli was a bit out of it?? I wonder if she was mad that she wasn't asked to sing the tribute to The Wizard of Oz.
    Regards,
    Tamie

Quote Originally Posted by tamiele View Post
    Did anyone else think Liza Minnelli was a bit out of it?? I wonder if she was mad that she wasn't asked to sing the tribute to The Wizard of Oz.
    She always looks a bit out of it to me.

Loving Kate Blanchett and Sandra Bullock's gowns.

Or possibly she was mad that Ellen called her a male Liza Minneli impersonator in her opening monologue. It made me snort and scissor kick my legs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

I think I just saw Courtney Stodden slide through. Eww!

I was thinking the same thing! I got the impression that she only stood up for Pink after everyone else did. I'm also with MiraculousMandarin, I was howling when Ellen made that crack about Liza!
    As much as I love Pink though, I wasn't 100% digging on her dress. Looked gorgeous from the front, but from the side it looked like she was hiding a Munchkin under the back of it.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Jimmy Kimmel's after party show is hilarious Great segment called Lie Witness News where they made up movies and plots and asked people on the street about their Oscar chances. Every person lied, saying they'd seen these fake films, giving opinions, hahaha

Second best segment so far is Queen Latifa as Sweet Brown starring in "Ain't Nobody Got Time for That".

I was watching the E! pre-game show (I only watch to fashion snark with my girlfriends on FB) when Liza came on. I honest-to-God thought she was one of the many interchangeable women from those many "mob wives" shows and couldn't figure out why she was there. Then I saw Lorna Luft and realized it was Liza. That's how un-Liza like she looked to me - I knew Lorna Luft before I knew it was Liza. Yeesh.

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

I read TMZ and Radar.......then DListed.......got the highlights and from what I am reading, it was a prolonged snooze fest with a few bright spots thrown in
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Giada Guest
    Travolta scoping out his next victim ...

http://tonyortega.org/2014/03/03/joh...rs/#more-13541

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Travolta scoping out his next victim ...

http://tonyortega.org/2014/03/03/joh...rs/#more-13541
    Ol' Johnny really had that wig on tight last night. I thought that his eyes were going to meet
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    March 1934-July 2016

Pink sounded amazing.. but the dress did nothing for her. Poor Liza, she didn't look to amused by Ellen's comments ,her sister Lorna Luft was loving it !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liza-minnelli-oscars-2014-academy-awards.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	50065 Looks like she was wearing a comfortable pair of old shoes ! I love Glenn Close, but this dress looks like the one Elizabeth Montgomery wore in The Legend Of Lizzie Bordon !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glenn-close.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	50066
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 03-03-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Pink sounded amazing.. but the dress did nothing for her. Poor Liza, she didn't look to amused by Ellen's comments ,her sister Lorna Luft was loving it !Click image for larger version. 

ID:	50065 Looks like she was wearing a comfortable pair of old shoes ! I love Glenn Close, but this dress looks like the one Elizabeth Montgomery wore in The Legend Of Lizzie Bordon !Click image for larger version. 

I just saw Ellen's post Oscar show and she said Liza got the joke and didn't mind one bit.

why was almost everyone wearing beige?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maybe she got the joke after Lorna told her it was a joke, she looked kind of bewildered at the time though.

Maybe she got the joke after Lorna told her it was a joke, she looked kind of bewildered at the time though.
    lol, she did look like wtf ! I liked P!nks singing of Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    I liked P!nks singing of Rainbow
    I thought she did a great job on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    why was almost everyone wearing beige?
    Maybe beige is the new black. You know how Hollyweird is.

I enjoyed the show and thought Ellen did a good job. Loved the pizza bit and the selfie (my new cover photo!).

Anyone else noticed when Charlize Theron presented with Hemsworth the Best Sound Mixing or something like that, and after the envelope was opened and they read the name I could SWEAR Charlize said something kinda under her breath (but still audible enough to be caught by the microphone) about "I'm so thrilled to be here" all sarcastic-like. I was waiting for Facebook and Twitter to just jump on that but I haven't seen anything. Starting to question whether I heard right or not.

So I love Michael Fassbender but it seemed like 80-90% of the time he wasn't there. I mean, he was there when they read his name then he just vanished until 12 Years a Slave won best pic. Kept looking for him and it seemed like it was always some seat-filler next to his mom. Thought I saw something on Twitter about him drinking in the lobby but I had no idea you could drink at this thing...?

In memoriam....eh, I know they can't fit everyone but it seems like they could fit a lot more if they ditched the song afterwards (which almost always sucks) and just extended the segment. It also feels ...disingenuous? Disrespectful? that they don't have a moment of silence afterwards. Anyway loved that they used the Somewhere in Time theme, especially for the year Richard Matheson died.

Pink sounded amazing.. but the dress did nothing for her. Poor Liza, she didn't look to amused by Ellen's comments ,her sister Lorna Luft was loving it!Click image for larger version. 

ID:	50065 Looks like she was wearing a comfortable pair of old shoes !
    A woman after my own heart. I only wear comfortable shoes these days, it's not worth the pain to look attractive to the people I work with. I also say good for Liza... there probably would have been a time when she wore uncomfortable shoes and used it as an excuse to take drugs and drink alcohol.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Word on the street is (and that means in the Theatre Community I run with) Liza will not sing "Over the Rainbow" because it was her mother's song. She also feels that others should not perform it either. I was informed of this when I questioned why P!nk was singing it and not one of Judy's kids who were 30 ft from the stage. Although I thought it was kind of a crappy tribute to the movie. P!ink has a great voice and it sounded beautiful, but you trot the kids out just to show a montage of scenes? Okay.

Otherwise I enjoyed it. I liked the "heroes" montages for the most part and I enjoyed Ellen as host. Lots of people ripping on her for the pizza and selfies thing, but I LOVED it. Poor Idina Menzel, though. First her name gets butchered and then she misses her note (which also happened when she performed Defying Gravity from Wicked at the Tony's). Maybe she just has terrible nerves when she's performing in front of her peers (though the tempo was off, too). FWIW I didn't think Bette sounded all that great either and I hate her dress. Her red carpet dress was DIVINE, however.

Lots of folks getting panties in a twist about the drag queen joke re: Liza. I thought it was funny and don't think it was really meant as a dis to how she looked, but more a celebration of the gay men who have made Liza an icon of their culture. Not to mention I thought Liza looked very pretty and age appropriate ...People were ragging on Goldie Hawn's dress, but it fits with what I would expect her to wear... still a hippie chick.

PS: How cute were Robert Lopez (EGOT!) and Kristen Anderson-Lopez?

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    PS: How cute were Robert Lopez (EGOT!) and Kristen Anderson-Lopez?
    I loved those two! My favorite part of the Oscars is the non-famous people that win awards, and would be excited just to be nominated and be there, but are gracious and over-the-moon when they win. I love their speeches; they seem so heartfelt. Not that the major award winners aren't gracious and heartfelt, but it's so much fun to see the winners of the 'smaller' awards.

I remember a Japanese man who won best animated short film a few years ago, and gave a very short, halting speech in broken English (thanking his pencil, etc.), and then said Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!

Ooh, just found it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IACLD7_RdTE

The Oscars were very boring this year. Enjoyed it when Bob Hope was the
    host. (yes I'm old)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theladyinquestion View Post
    So I love Michael Fassbender but it seemed like 80-90% of the time he wasn't there. I mean, he was there when they read his name then he just vanished until 12 Years a Slave won best pic. Kept looking for him and it seemed like it was always some seat-filler next to his mom. Thought I saw something on Twitter about him drinking in the lobby but I had no idea you could drink at this thing...?

In memoriam....eh, I know they can't fit everyone but it seems like they could fit a lot more if they ditched the song afterwards (which almost always sucks) and just extended the segment. It also feels ...disingenuous? Disrespectful? that they don't have a moment of silence afterwards. Anyway loved that they used the Somewhere in Time theme, especially for the year Richard Matheson died.
    If I remember correctly, they do have a bar set up somewhere in the venue, so that's probably where Fassbender was.
    Did you notice with the In Memorium you heard clapping when the first person was shown, and then silence for the rest. Now I can't imagine they didn't clap at all, which leads me to believe they cut off the audio of them clapping. I thought that was pretty crappy.

I liked the heroes segments, although I got a bit irked during the Superheroes one when they showed Henry Cavill's Superman as opposed to Christopher Reeve's.

DrDeath Guest
    Dear ol' Fassbender.....can take the man outta Dublin etc

LOVE Liza. My all time fave celeb. She's just so epic

Quote Originally Posted by theladyinquestion View Post
    I kinda agree. I heard that the song afterwards wasn't even that good anyway. I heard it wasn't even a vocal version of the song played during the actual tribute; it was a completely different song altogether, which was strange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Arky67 Guest

I think Liza is having a lot of trouble getting around. She seems to have to hold on to others to walk.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...t-last-minute/

This kind of sucked....I like "Batkid", he's such a sweet looking kid.

DrDeath Guest
    Well Andrew Garfield (top lad) didn't show up anyway due to some personal issue of his missus' so probably just as well

I agree with Steven:

The three-time Oscar winner - who received his sixteenth nomination this year for producing Best Picture nominee Bridge of Spies - said that he does not agree with the plan to take away the memberships of individuals who have not been active in the industry for 10 years or more, and also does not think their is any real racism among Academy members.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3zuKEnXRm
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Anyone else watching the red carpet pre-show? Love the gowns, the good and the omgwhatthehells. Also gotta love Joe Zee.

Chris Rock's jokes about the Jada and Will Smith Boycott.

??Everybody went mad [this year] ? Jada [Pinkett Smith] got mad. Jada said she??s not coming. Isn??t she on a TV show? Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna??s panties. I wasn??t invited.?

??I understand you??re mad. I??m not hating. ? Jada??s mad her man Will [Smith] was not nominated for Concussion. I get it ? It??s not fair that Will was this good and didn??t get nominated. You??re right. It??s also not fair that Will was paid $20 million for Wild Wild West, okay??
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Save for the above mentioned jokes, God, what a bore, what with the snide anti-Trump remarks and the forced "comedy" of Chris Rock, plus the whole disaster ending with Leo's acceptance speech and vehement diatribe over phony human-driven climate change, capped off by Rock with "Black lives matter". Sheesh, three hours of unfunny whining.

I did not watch the Oscars as they aired because I knew I couldn't stay up for the main awards at the end of the night. However, thanks to my Hubby waking my ass up, I was perusing FB and saw that Lady Gaga's performance of "Till It Happens to You" from the Oscars had been posted. O...M...G did that hit me where I live. I almost lost it when the sexual assault survivors joined her on stage.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I watch the oscars about as often as I go to the theater. Rarely. But I do usually have a favorite from trailers (I know, but it is what it is). And I was glad to learn that Leo won for The Revenant. Hope Netflix offers it in due time.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I didn't watch this year, kept up with it on live Twitter feeds... less painful then actually sitting through that shit ! Leo is so overrated in my opinion, a lot of critics thought Bryan Cranston gave the better performance. The only surprise was Mark Rylance over Stallone, other then that it was all predictable as always.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Me no watchie....me have no interest in seeing peacocks on a stage playing grab ass, while talking about global warming.....right before they grab their private jet to Rio. UGH
    March 1934-July 2016

Haha.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Me no watchie....me have no interest in seeing peacocks on a stage playing grab ass, while talking about global warming.....right before they grab their private jet to Rio. UGH
    Exactly ! I'm pretty sure the majority of Hollywood folk have no idea what global warming is or anything else relevant for that matter ! Their publicists must make a mint off them... read this and try and look smart. Huh? The attacks on Paris, no not Hilton, France !! LOL
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.