Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

ryanolivia Guest
    I just started watching a little bit ago. I LOVED the Cirque Du Soleil bit. I thought I hadn't seen any nominated movies because I don't get to see grown up movies anymore. Imagine my surprise when Rango won an Oscar.

Bayou Queen Guest
    Angelina Jolie is a beautiful woman, but when she struck that pose I thought it was a bit much, and thought I'd pee my pants when the guy mimicked her during his acceptance speech.

ajlposh Guest
    Watching it now. Pretty good.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Queen View Post
    Angelina Jolie is a beautiful woman, but when she struck that pose I thought it was a bit much, and thought I'd pee my pants when the guy mimicked her during his acceptance speech.
    When she walked on stage her ass looked huge. Like a cartoon spider.

I had to laugh when J Lo was quoting Edith Head while wearing THAT dress. I can't think Edith would have approved.

Yay for Christopher Plummer!

AS for the in memorium:So glad that they saved the last spot for Liz and didn't give it to Whitney. and so sad seeing Norman Corwin in it. The name means nothing to most; but he was a personal hero, and I actually have a letter from him, handwritten and signed. He was so cool.
    Last edited by radiojane; 02-26-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Queen View Post
    I think she wouldn't be nearly as interesting or relevant if she hadn't hooked up with Brad. Am I the only person who can't look at them without thinking of how they got together?? I wonder if I will ever see them as a couple.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

radiojane Guest
    The help was a better movie than the artist. I've seen all but warhorse, and imho, the artist won on gimmick.

Hippo Guest
    I have to say that I am glad that Meryl won over Viola Davis. Viola was excellent, but I don't consider her role a leading part. She should have been nominated in the supporting category.

Meryl, on the other hand, was in practically every scene of "The Iron Lady."

Pryncis Guest
    It felt old school, and I liked that. I think they were really trying to get back to the glamour of Hollywood. I also liked the bit parts between awards where the celebrities would speak about their first movie etc. Made it more human. It was nice. :-)

radiojane Guest
    The sets were just gorgeous.

ryanolivia Guest
    I was watching the after parties and I have to say my heart broke a bit watching Quincy Jones. He seemed pretty confused. He also didn't look to well physically.

I was happy Meryl won again - finally. She's done A LOT of great movies over the years since her last win back in the 80's and should have got the award a few times over since then. Tonight was her night!

I was also glad Paradise 3 lost and cheered when "Undefeated" won instead - altho I never saw it! LOL

Octavia Spencer was pure definition of "gratitude" when she won hers for supporting actress.

Giada Guest
    Entertaining ...

Cirque was terrific, as was Billy Crystal's introduction. I haven't seen Iron Lady or The Help, so that leaves me out in conparing roles and actor's. What I did love was Meryl's acceptance, thanking her husband, and the appreciation of friends and family.

Angelina Jolie was as bizarre as ever, appeared drunk or on drugs. She looks like a wax figure, bony face and body, no musculature, highly unappealing.

havoc Guest
    I have The Help on DVD. Love it. Love the movie, the characters, the cars and the costumes.

I haven't seen any of the others.

Does anyone know the name of the dark haired woman in the red dress sitting behind Glenn Close? I feel like I should know who she is, but I can't think of her name.

Reecy Guest
    I enjoyed the Oscars this year. Billy Crystal did a fantastic job. When Angelina stuck out her bony white leg I laughed so much I think the neighbors heard me. I do like her though.

Giada Guest

radiojane Guest
    Jolie looks high as a kite. completely "lights on no one's home".

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    LOL!!!!!!!

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    LOL!!!!!!!
    ... I thought so as well, apparently this went viral.

acoonalouis Guest
    Oscars were a great ocassion for the deserving all and the honour was there . I feel pleasure at the same and that was really enjoyable.

The Oscars "in memoriam" montage

It's a jungle out there...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/mo...CB3861DEFC8FC4

I'll stick with TCM's yearly tribute.

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

radiojane Guest
    Well you want the names to be recognizable enough that there's clapping and not whispered "who the fuck is that?"

Sometimes they will say: please wait until
    all the names are finished before your
    applause.

More then a few people never seem to listen.

The "In Memoriam" is my favorite part of the
    Academy Awards.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Rosebud666 Guest
    There's no business like show business.

The exclusion of Harry Morgan was egregious, as was the exclusion of Dorothy McGuire. She had the unmitigated gall to die before two days after 9.11, thus insuring she'd deemed unimportant to the Academy.

VCNJ~

Social media predicts the Oscars:

http://mashable.com/2013/02/23/oscar...s-2013/#m!15b9

Murphymom Guest

Question Oscars "In Memoriam" 2013

Any thoughts on who the segment will leave out this year?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Naomi Watts and Charlize Theron looked angry over the I Saw Your Boobs song.

Or shocked.

Somebody is regretting that Goldfinger song right now.
    Last edited by MiraculousMandarin; 02-25-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Bayou Queen Guest
    Do you think Naomi and Charlize and the others were informed in advance of this really not so funny song, and they just went along with it, looking upset intentionally? Charlize was in the dance number associated with that song, wouldn't you think she would have heard it at rehearsal?

And what happened to the back of Jennifer Garner's dress. She looks like a stegosaurus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Rosebud666 Guest
    I think I really need to finally go and see Les Misérables, but I just know I'm going to sob uncontrollably at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    I think I really need to finally go and see Les Misérables, but I just know I'm going to sob uncontrollably at the end.
    Awww haha.
    Right now Anne Hatheway is annoying to me, but I'm sure in a few months I'll see Princess Diaries on tv and get over it.
    Sandra Bullock looks perfect tonight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    Somebody is regretting that Golfinger song right now.
    I agree. Yikes!! I found alot of the dialogue through out the night to be hard to follow. Maybe I was just having a hard time getting into it this year. It lacked some magic for me. I thought the Jaws theme playing when someone's speech time ran out was waaaaaay rude!!
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Awww haha.
    Right now Anne Hatheway is annoying to me, but I'm sure in a few months I'll see Princess Diaries on tv and get over it.
    We should have watched this together because I feel the same way about Anne and I don't know why. I also would prefer to never see or hear Halle Berry ever again!!
    Regards,
    Tamie

Pryncis Guest
    Does anyone have a link to see the memorial montage?

Bayou Queen Guest
    What the hell was wrong with Renee Zellweger, she looked wasted and it looked like she tried on a fancy dress with no makeup or jewelry. What's the deal with her these days, she hasn't made a movie in awhile.

Check youtube, Pryncis. Somebody's probably put it up there by now.

Jennifer Lawrence's dress? Love!

Does anyone know why Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director? Apparently the last time this happened was in 1989 with Driving Miss Daisy, and only happened two other times in Hollywood history. Do they not like him, and if not, for what reason?
    Any day above ground is a good day.

MinLynn Guest
    Am I the only one who thought a lot of the celebrities (Miss Hathaway especially) looked MUCH better while performing on stage than they did on the red carpet?

Rosebud666 Guest
    Awww haha.
    I don't know why people are always hating on Anne Hathaway. I quite like her nipples. The rest of her isn't bad either - and she can sing, too.

MinLynn Guest
    I'm a huge Anne fan! I was just disappointed in the dress she chose for the evening because she usually looks so impeccable! She also seems like she'd be a very nice person in real life!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    I don't know why people are always hating on Anne Hathaway. I quite like her nipples. The rest of her isn't bad either - and she can sing, too.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was just the way her dress was made lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

MinLynn Guest
    Those were definetly some ill-placed and aggressive darts and not nipples and that's what made the dress so disappointing to me. It looked like a home-ec project and not like something Prada would make. However, the dress she was sporting during the Les Miserable performance was beautiful and I almost wish she had worn that instead!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Check youtube, Pryncis. Somebody's probably put it up there by now.

Jennifer Lawrence's dress? Love!
    Jennifer Lawrence looks beautiful in everything all the time no matter what because she is perfect and I love her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
    Those were definetly some ill-placed and aggressive darts and not nipples and that's what made the dress so disappointing to me. It looked like a home-ec project and not like something Prada would make. However, the dress she was sporting during the Les Miserable performance was beautiful and I almost wish she had worn that instead!
    Actually, that would have been pretty awesome if vinegar and baking soda started shooting out whenever she won haha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by Murphymom View Post
    Any thoughts on who the segment will leave out this year?
    Andy Griffith
    Gore Vidal
    Larry Hagman
    Alex 'The Mad Duck' Karras
    Richard Dawson
    Sylvia Kristel
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

radiojane Guest
    Tommy Lee Jones was robbed. I haven't even seen Lincoln. But I love Tommy Lee Jones. Therefore, he should always win everything.

I loved the "Von Trapp" sketch. That was so cute.

Also.... I know the theme was music in film, but I think leaving Marvin Hamlisch until the end of the segment was just an excuse to let Babs wail on stage. I would have put Borgnine at the end.

The "In Memoriam" section also left out Ben Gazzara and Oscar-nominee Susan Tyrrell. They should just borrow TCM's reel - they always do a much better job.

Kristen Stewart was wearing my living room drapes

I predict that the SVP in charge of Dart Placement On Bodices at Prada will be signing up for unemployment today.

That tart from Real Housewives of Cornshucker County should have been arrested for soliciting. That's one of the most horrific dresses ever seen at the Oscars and I'm includin' Bjork, Demi Moore *and* Edy Williams when I say that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brandi2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	45641

For my money, one of the most beautiful (and beautifully dressed) women last night was Fan Bingbing. Plus, I love it that she has a built-in "James Bond" heroine name!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mir0c6oVv61qz9qooo1_500.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	45640

VCNJ~

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post

Kristen Stewart was wearing my living room drapes
    Kristen Stewart look stoned out of her gourd. What exactly is her appeal supposed to be?