Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I'm reading the Kathleen Turner autobiography now. So far, I like it. She's very direct and succinct. She's telling all, but not in a lewd Shelley Winters manner.
    I'd have love to have seen her in Virginia Woolf. I can't stand the Liz/Dick one, I know, how can I say that, it's just all that harping and bitching I can't handle after an hour. I'd like to see another version.
    There hasn't been a best picture winner I liked since like Chicago, and even before then, not back until The English Patient, which I enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by RLR12 View Post
    Jess,

It is so funny that you said that because - long story - that movie is what started me down the path to ending up at this site and message board! LC is a very good actor. I think he will eventually win his Oscar - he just won't get it at such a young age. Kind of what JOL was referring to in saying that there are a lot of politics and traditions at play - nobody that young has ever won for best actor.
    i was hoping for him to snag it that year. i'm not a huge ld fan, but i thought his interpretation of hh was amazing!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I hated the Departed. It's not only awful for a Scorcese movie, it's awful period. I think it won solely because Scorcese was long overdue and there was nothing else decent that year. I have many Scorcese movies in my DVD collection, but the Departed will never be one of them. I didn't like the Aviator, either. In fact I think the last thing he did I liked was Gangs of New York.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    I couldn't believe that Crash won instead of Brokeback Mountain. I was really disappointed.
    Timing was not on Brokeback Mountain's side. When BM came out America was in the middle of the gay debate with states trying ( and most doing it too ) outlawing gay marriages and civil unions, should companies allow same sex couple benefits, some cities such as the one I live now even went as far feeling they must define "family".

Of course the debate continues today even though mostly not as bad as say a few years ago when some people really believe it would be a matter of time before George Bush outlawed homosexuality..period. Of course Bush couldn't do that if he wanted too but still I believe to this day politics played a role as to why BM lost the title for best picture. I however do not believe the "story" that Bush put pressure on the academy NOT to let BM win though.

Oddly had Brokeback Mountain came out a few years earlier, no doubt in my mind it would have won best picture.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I thought Brokeback Mountain was dull and turned it off after 40 minutes. I feel it only got the hype in the entertainment community because it was about two gay guys. Apart from nice scenery shots, it bore me to tears. Crash was contrived and dumb though, too. No good movies that year that's for sure.

RLR12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    I hated the Departed. It's not only awful for a Scorcese movie, it's awful period. I think it won solely because Scorcese was long overdue and there was nothing else decent that year. I have many Scorcese movies in my DVD collection, but the Departed will never be one of them. I didn't like the Aviator, either. In fact I think the last thing he did I liked was Gangs of New York.
    Well, we all feel different ways about different movies. I've already said how much I liked it so I won't keep babbling about it. Just curious - why did you dislike it so much? I do agree with you regarding Gangs of NY - thought that movie was great - totally absorbing.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Umm, I thought it was just boring and lasted too long. I couldn't get into the plot or any of the characters. I have to admit, I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio at all, either, which admittedly may have colored my views of the film. I was bored and wanted it to be over. The sequence in the building was good. I was just blown away by Gangs of New York through the whole thing, just captivated. This, I was just wondering what the big deal was and how it was too long.

RLR12 Guest
    Umm, I thought it was just boring and lasted too long. I couldn't get into the plot or any of the characters. I have to admit, I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio at all, either, which admittedly may have colored my views of the film. I was bored and wanted it to be over. The sequence in the building was good. I was just blown away by Gangs of New York through the whole thing, just captivated. This, I was just wondering what the big deal was and how it was too long.
    Yeah, that's how I felt about Gangs of NY. I was so riveted while I was watching it, when I came out of the theater I felt like I had been there experiencing it or something.

Jodie Foster was robbed this year for an Oscar for her role in "The Brave One"...a great movie, and a great role - one of her best in YEARS and she was overlooked...WTF!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Jodie Foster was robbed this year for an Oscar for her role in "The Brave One"...a great movie, and a great role - one of her best in YEARS and she was overlooked...WTF!
    Talk about a snub! She wasn't even nominated! I agree, WTF ???

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    i'm always on my soapbox about this one, i think dicaprio was TREMENDOUS as howard hughes in the aviator. that will probably be his best work...
    I totally agree with you Jessica, diCaprio was awesome and actually I think his speaking patterns and mannerisms were very much in line with the real Howard Hughes. I loved everything about "The Aviator."

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Maybe I'm master sour puss today, but I got the Brave One from Netflix and totally hated it. And I really like Jodie Foster and really was looking forward to it. I couldn't get into the plot and some of the scenes where she's killing people I thought were sort of funny. I thought they were reading lines at some points as well. The premise was good, but I thought the script or something was off.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RLR12 View Post
    JOL,
    Although I loved The Departed, I know that it is not considered among Scorsese's best and he got the Oscar in large part because he was overdue. I am just curious. Do you think he actually deserved it last year in addition to being overdue or do you think there was something better last year?
    I actually think he should have won decades ago (as does everyone else), but more recently I felt "The Aviator" was a better film than "The Departed." But it's all a matter of choice, and you're certainly not alone--MANY people loved "The Departed"!
    Here were the films nominated against it last year:

"Babel," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen"

--so it WAS a weak year. I hated "Babel," never saw "Letters," LOVED "Little Miss Sunshine" and "The Queen" -- but don't know that I would have picked either for "best picture."

I have to say I AM glad Scorcese finally got the award--even if belatedly by several decades!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I totally agree with you Jessica, diCaprio was awesome and actually I think his speaking patterns and mannerisms were very much in line with the real Howard Hughes. I loved everything about "The Aviator."

thank you jack!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    I just read a news report that said the ceremony had the worst ratings EVER.

Not suprising.
    Good maybe one day they''l get the hint - we don't care about you rewarding yourself! Ugh! Or how about one music awards show, one film award show. Done, fine, enough.

RLR12 Guest
    I actually think he should have won decades ago (as does everyone else), but more recently I felt "The Aviator" was a better film than "The Departed." But it's all a matter of choice, and you're certainly not alone--MANY people loved "The Departed"!
    Here were the films nominated against it last year:

"Babel," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen"

--so it WAS a weak year. I hated "Babel," never saw "Letters," LOVED "Little Miss Sunshine" and "The Queen" -- but don't know that I would have picked either for "best picture."

I have to say I AM glad Scorcese finally got the award--even if belatedly by several decades!
    Yeah, I went and looked up what other films were nominated last year too and didn't think any of them would have held a candle to the Departed. The only one of those I didn't see was The Queen. I thought Babel sucked too. Letters was good but I don't think it deserved to win Best Picture and I don't think it had mass appeal. I rented it to watch with my former Marine father who I knew would like it. I didn't dislike Little Miss Sunshine but I was disappointed by it. I heard it was absolutely hysterical so I rented it expecting to laugh my ass off.....while there were some funny parts, I don't think it was anywhere near hysterical. Although that part at the end where the little girl is doing the dance her grandfather rehearsed with her was priceless!

I too am glad Scorsese got his Oscar - he had been gypped so many times!

17. 02-26-2008, 02:24 PM

Mrs. Watson Guest
    The Oscars and The Grammys aren't a big deal anymore to anyone, I don't think. It's more fun to bust on what the people are wearing than anything else.

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of mystery or glamour anymore. Too many big time blockbusters and not enough of the sleepers, I think, music and film.

Although Herbie Hancock won, I thought that was pretty cool.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I really like L.A. Confindential, except I thought the ending was all wrong and it won't become a classic like Chinatown. They tagged on some bs Hollywood happy ending to a movie about pervasive corruption and evil that didn't match. The guys should have died in the shoot-out and Kim forced back into prostitution. The original ending of Chinatown had Faye doing a little time in jail and then running off to Mexico with Jack and the daughter/sister. Polanski scrapped that ending and made the ending you now see, there was huge fights with Evans over changing that ending. I think Chinatown is the classic it is today because of that unforgettable (and realistic) ending, but I think they botched the ending to L.A. Confidential and it will cost the legacy of that film in the long-run.
    I thought Erin Brachovich was totally stupid and cringed when she won.
    I couldn't get through Walk the Line, perfectly dreadful. I have an ex-family member who knew June Carter Cash and based on his description, the performance was nothing like her at all. Plus the movie was just dull. I like Reese Witherspoon a lot, that first Legally Blonde movie is a classic, so I'm not mad she has an Oscar, but I thought Walk the Line stank. The don't recognize or award good comedies anymore.
    Can someone explain American Beauty to me? I never got it. It wasn't boring or dull, but I don't know why it got so many awards. I like Annette Bening a lot, but I feel like Kevin Spacey plays the same roles over and over.

leevancleef Guest
    I couldnt agree more with Jack.
    LA Confidential is between my Top 5 90s movies. i adore this film.
    It should have won best picture and best director. i was so mad when it lost to Titanic...wtf!

Florida, i did enjoy Walk The Line. Joaquim Phoenix deserved the Oscar for his work, but Philipp Seymour Hoffman also deserved it for Capote. I think that would be the only tie for me in Oscar's history.

I am glad that I'm not the only one who didn't get American Beauty. I also did not understand why it won so much Oscars.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I am glad that I'm not the only one who didn't get American Beauty. I also did not understand why it won so much Oscars.
    The emperor has no clothes!!

QuarterRat Guest
    Oh God Please Someone Out There Agree With Me On This One:

Cuba Gooding Jr. in "Jerry Maguire". OH MY GOD I wanted to kick in my television screen when he won. I mean the competition that year wasn't all that great but William Macy in Fargo was MUCH better. "Show me the money!!!!" Blech!

QuarterRat Guest
    "Georgie Boy here's like a cog--no, a BOG--in the History Dept.! Yeah, that's it--he's a BOG, a SWAMP--in the History Dept. HEY SWAMPIE !!!!"

ET is MONUMENTAL in that movie, my jaw drops every time I watch it (and that's gotta be 50+ times, MINIMUM, by now)....

"That oh that is a pictoral representation of the order of Martha's mind"

"I hope that wasn't good liquor, we can't afford to waste good liquor, not on your salary, not on an ASSOCIATE professors salary!"

"Martha in my mind you are buried up to your neck in cement, no up to the noise, it's quieter"

"Child mentioner! Book Dropper!"

"Probably, I regret everything"

"I'm Loud and I'm Vulgar and I wear the pants in the house because somebody's got to but I am not a monster, I am NOT!"

More Cheese Please Guest
    Robert Downey Jr. should have won for Chaplin in "92"... IMH-yet adamant- O

I thought Titanic and Shakespeare in Love were both shit

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    I couldnt agree more with Jack.
    LA Confidential is between my Top 5 90s movies. i adore this film.
    It should have won best picture and best director. i was so mad when it lost to Titanic...wtf!

Florida, i did enjoy Walk The Line. Joaquim Phoenix deserved the Oscar for his work, but Philipp Seymour Hoffman also deserved it for Capote. I think that would be the only tie for me in Oscar's history.

Yeah but Joaquin Phoenix is much prettier I guess that just doesnt enter into it. I am a huge fan so I am somewhat biased. Although I am surprised no one has mentioned Johnny Depp yet....talk about being robbed the poor guy has to sit and watch his best actor Oscar being given to someone else every year he is nominated...just my opinion though

Dont even mention the plastic bag scene....why waste footage on a video cam for that????

Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Robert Downey Jr. should have won for Chaplin in "92"... IMH-yet adamant- O

I thought Titanic and Shakespeare in Love were both shit
    I thought he was fantastic...amazing when you think how high he probably was then!

Titanic was ok i suppose... It was powerful at the scene when the boat was breaking up.... but the story line was abit...too soppy for my liking.

Didnt think much of shakespeare in love...

I actually thought Johnny depp in finding neverland was good..his accent was good. Even in potc he held the story ..... he will get an oscar one day.

Ian Mckellen in lotr.... definately worth his oscar nod.

Liz taylor in cat on a hot tin roof.... she was great in that movie. Especially when you know she was grieving for mike todd at that time. I only think they gave her an oscar for butterfly 8 because she missed out the year before.

Julie andrews deserved her oscar for mary poppins....no one i can think off could have played that character better while vivien leigh...as scarlette was fab!

Hitchcock was robbed...totally agree with fighter. HOW THE HELL he never won any oscars is beyond me. Rear window, pycho, rebecca.....fantastic movies

Looking at all the posts, I'm not even qualified to shine all of your shoes on this catagory, but alas, I cannot keep my mouth shut, try as I might...

Disclaimer: I don't watch the Oscars and have no idea who went up against who in what and in what year. I only know what I like and don't like...

Who in the hell voted for "Traffic", "Shakespere In Love", "Capote" "The Queen" and "No Country for Old Men"? They should be put in a nursing home or drug rehab right away.

Why didn't "Elizabeth" get best picture? What happened there?

BTW - When you are really bored, watch "Elizabeth" and then "The Queen" right after. It'll kinda make you sick to your stomach.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I have to agree..Halle Berry..pffftt!
    ding ding ding
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Reecy Guest
    Bette Davis should have won the Oscar for "Of Human Bondage". She deseved it.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    You know who I always thought was really robbed, of a nomination at least, was Angie Dickinson in Dressed to Kill. I love that movie and watch it often, and her few scenes are just so good. The session with Michael Caine was great, and the whole museum sequence and her writing the note to the trick, all so powerful and no dialog, all with movement and eyes (the score obviously helped her). And the longing, sad loneliness in her eyes in the shower fantasy part. I thought she just nailed and defined that character right away, even if she's not in the movie after about 20 minutes. The film was quite violent and back then, I think that took it out of critical acclaim. Too bad.

PerticusRex Guest
    "Juno" and Diablo Cody...Why???

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I agree about Juno. What was all that fuss about? Nominated for best picture, huh? Did I miss something? I didn't buy Ellen Page's dialogue for one second, it didn't ring true at all. So the script wins an Oscar. Yak.

PvN73 Guest
    I agree about Juno. What was all that fuss about? Nominated for best picture, huh? Did I miss something? I didn't buy Ellen Page's dialogue for one second, it didn't ring true at all. So the script wins an Oscar. Yak.
    I so agree with you there JustJack!

Really what teen speaks like that? I have never overheard any conversation in a group of teens that sound remotely like that. Though to be honest, when I see a group of teens I try to get the hell away from them as quickly as possible. Talk about annoyance factor!

**Jenna** Guest
    I hated that movie. I didn't get it either.
    Juno never appealed to me,I cant' stand that Ellen Page chic,she just annoys me for some reason.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Movies suck today, there wasn't a decent Best Picture nominee this year. I know I sound old, but it's all shit today.

KarmaKat Guest
    Still to this day am blown away that "dances with wolves" won the best picture oscar. What were they thinking? "Goodfellas" should have walked away with that one hands down. "Chicago" is another one. My goodness I love the musical but this is one of the worst films ever made. Leonardo should have won for "Blood Diamond" he was so good in that, possibly his best work next to "Whats Eating Gilbert Grape".

most deserved

heath ledger
    Brokeback Mountain

squirellygirl Guest
    One word: Gwyneth.

KarmaKat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by squirellygirl View Post
    One word: Gwyneth.
    Totally agree with that statement. Bad film, bad actress what was the academy thinking? Also wasnt a big fan of Hillary Swank in Million Dollar Baby.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Movies suck today, there wasn't a decent Best Picture nominee this year. I know I sound old, but it's all shit today.
    Amen to that.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    I so agree with you there JustJack!

Really what teen speaks like that? I have never overheard any conversation in a group of teens that sound remotely like that. Though to be honest, when I see a group of teens I try to get the hell away from them as quickly as possible. Talk about annoyance factor!
    I did enjoy the girl in Juno that they thought was giving them the "stink eye." THAT was funny!
    ...and about the teenagers, I must agree. Guess that means the generation gap is still alive and well, huh ???

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I loved the lead girl's best friend in Juno! That woman was hilarious!

I didn't like Million Dollar Baby that much, it was ok to see once, but it was along those lines in the early 2000s of women uglying up and playing a pathetic character to get an Oscar. Barf! If you see Scary Movie 4 unedited, they spoofed it where she's a "lady boxer" in a flashback "living her dreams," and before a boxing match she's asking her coach that one day he has to tell her what her nickname means, and the camera pans out, and the back of her robe, the nickname reads, "Dirty Sanchez" which is a raunchy sex act. Anyway, yes, I liked Scary Movie 4 better than Million Dollar Baby.

I had never seen Chicago on stage and knew nothing at all of the plot and saw it in the theatre and loved it!! I have it on DVD and watch it every couple of months, I thought it was great and thought Renee did a bang-up job. I can't see anyone else in those roles, but again, I never saw it on stage.

Now, see, I liked Chicago (not loved), but it was because of Catherine Zeta Jones. IMO, Renee looks like an anorexic stroke victim. I just can't get past that. I'm sure she's nice, though...
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Dylgem22 Guest
    I like Juno, but then again I like quirky movies .. I don't think it was deserving of all the hype it got or the Oscar nods, but I still enjoyed it and I am 30!!

There are lots of movies I would have liked to have seen win Oscars, but then again, I don't think I have seen half the movies that have won in the past decade .. I agree with someone above .. movies today have just gone in the shitter .. they are boring and lack substance and only get hyped up by other celebs, etc .. no talent!!

hoxharding Guest
    I think Atonement deserved more awards. Everything about it was spot on.
    But the scenes of the wounded were so viseral(which is good) Still,
    ewwwwwwwwwww.
    If you have seen this-you know what I mean when I say this-if
    someone asks you to loosen a bandage. Be ready for whatever is under it.(ugh)

Chunga Guest
    Least...Marisa Tomei - My Cousin Vinnie (Way to go Palance!)

hoxharding Guest

I watched the orginal film this was based on and was very impressed by it. It had a heart to it and thought it was much better. Supposedly most of the sequels it spawned aren't that great.

Then I tried to watch the remake. I found it dull,the emotional content to be forced or at times missing.
    Plus, I felt some of the actors were just either playing cartoon versions of their public image.

Christopher Plummer. He has played some fabulous movie roles and not received an Oscar. We fans think someone has it in for him. How can someone with his talent be ignored by the academy? His portrayal of Mike Wallace in The Insider was awesome. He recently starred in a movie called "Man in the Chair", again, Oscar-worthy performance, totally ignored. Keep an eye out for "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" (with Heath Ledger) and "The Last Station" (with Helen Mirren). Maybe these will get him the attention he deserves! Incredible at age 77.

erictheking97 Guest
    Robert De Niro, for the Awakenings