Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    Have you seen Eastern Promises? He was magnificent in that. Just Magnificent.
    Sad to say I haven't. I think the last movie I went to see in the theatre was Forrest Gump.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    No Country wins!!

Warmed Over Guest
    The actual best picture wins it! Yeah!

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    Sad to say I haven't. I think the last movie I went to see in the theatre was Forrest Gump.
    Understandable, that movie could put you off movies for LIFE. UGH.

Go see it. Amazing movie, violent in parts but what do you expect when it is on the russian mafia? (mind you all actors who played russians were not russians, but were so convincing!)

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Big night for the Coen Bros. I heard it wasn't even close to their best stuff, much of which I've seen.

I guess the competition was weak this year.

PvN73 Guest
    Best Film - No Country For Old Men

Warmed Over Guest
    MJD, when I drink, you're Eddie Vedder makes me dizzy. Just thought you'd like to know.

PvN73 Guest
    Big night for the Coen Bros. I heard it wasn't even close to their best stuff, much of which I've seen.

I agree, I saw Juno, it was OK, not the best. I was disappointed that Eastern Promises didnt get more nominations though.

Warmed Over Guest

I thought it was their best movie, and I've seen all of them.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmed Over View Post
    MJD, when I drink, you're Eddie Vedder makes me dizzy. Just thought you'd like to know.

LOL sorry. That's Eddie in a dryer!

I agree, I saw Juno, it was OK, not the best.
    really?! l loved it! l laughed, l cried...
    my other oscar thoughts - helen mirren had an awesome gown, johnny depp should have thrown out his chewing gum, and the chicks in the gold gowns just standing there made me feel like l was watching the price is right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    really?! l loved it! l laughed, l cried...
    my other oscar thoughts - helen mirren had an awesome gown, johnny depp should have thrown out his chewing gum, and the chicks in the gold gowns just standing there made me feel like l was watching the price is right.
    I think I had higher expectations though. How creepy did Jason Bateman's character become! Ugh I shuddered. I wish he shared a scene with Michael Cera though - bring back memories of Arrested Development!

Helen Mirren is just amazing, she looked fantastic, I cannot believe she is in her 60s, though Faye Dunnaway scared me.

Helen Mirren is just amazing, she looked fantastic, I cannot believe she is in her 60s...
    l bet you five dollars our bodies are still that hot in 30 years.
    l'll even let you pick if it's australian or canadian dollars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    l bet you five dollars our bodies are still that hot in 30 years.
    l'll even let you pick if it's australian or canadian dollars
    We are going to be hot forever! Lets go chat shall we? Bob, want to join us or go to golf? HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by motherogod View Post
    Ugh, Kristin Chenoweth really made me want to barf when she sang the second of three poor-man's cinderella songs. I'm sure she rocks on Broadway, but like nails on a chalkboard otherwise.

I agree, Jon Stewart is the high point of the show. I was just hoping to see the clip from "there will be blood:" I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

That is interesting that they've already had outstanding female actor in a leading role (a.k.a. actress in the old days)... when is the "In Memoriam" usually.

Ugh, Cameron Diaz. Tara Reid's intellectual equal.
    +

I have two little kids and lead a very sheltered life. Translation: The odds of me ever seeing There Will Be Blood is equivalent to Fidel Castro being on Dancing with the Stars. Could someone please PM me the significance of "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!" ??? It makes no sense to me in the context of what I know about the movie.

Thanks!
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Have you seen Eastern Promises? He was magnificent in that. Just Magnificent.
    Viggo was GREAT in that...

my thoughts...Jon Stewart = boring and not funny (is this the best they can do for a host? GOD I miss Johnny Carson, Bob Hope and even Ellen); glad Marion Cotillard won, they actually chose the BEST actress as "best actress" for a change, what a concept!

I'm with ya' P about 'Eastern Promises,' it was the best, most gripping movie of the year and it wasn't even nominated that's because David Cronenberg (the true best director of the year) is a bit too outre for old man Oscar. "American Gangster" was also EXTREMELY good and it was barely nominated for anything.

P: when are Lynch and Cronenberg gonna get their due??? BLASPHEMY that neither of them are being nominated for Academy Awards....EVER....

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Viggo was GREAT in that...

my thoughts...Jon Stewart = boring and not funny (is this the best they can do for a host? GOD I miss Johnny Carson, Bob Hope and even Ellen); glad Marion Cotillard won, they actually chose the BEST actress as "best actress" for a change, what a concept!

I'm with ya' P about 'Eastern Promises,' it was the best, most gripping movie of the year and it wasn't even nominated that's because David Cronenberg (the true best director of the year) is a bit too outre for old man Oscar. "American Gangster" was also EXTREMELY good and it was barely nominated for anything.

P: when are Lynch and Cronenberg gonna get their due??? BLASPHEMY that neither of them are being nominated for Academy Awards....EVER....
    I doubt Lynch will ever win one, he has been nominated three times and if he didnt win it for Mulholland drive (or even Blue Velvet), he never will. What a fantastic movie to watch, a visual feast. At least Wild at Heart won the Palm D'Or back in 1990, shows some taste!

Cronenberg has also won at the Cannes FF for crash years ago 96? and also won the Golden coach the other year there too - how good was that!
    Last edited by PvN73; 02-25-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Morbid1 Guest
    Pretty good night for the Oscars.

Yahooo! for No Country.

Did you all catch the Oscar "pre-show"?

Did any of you guys think that guy Richard Roper (movie critic)
    was kind of being a little sarcastic to some of the stars? Maybe
    it was just me,but he really came off with a weird attitude tonight.

I hope he doesn't return next year...

-Morbid1

I am happy that Marion Cottilard won for Le Mome. She was just splendid in it. I wish Viggo Mortenson had won, or Johnny Depp for that matter. Daniel Day Lewis annoys me for some reason.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Guest Guest
    I'm a little upset that Roy Schieder was missing from the memorial

I knew Heath would be last and what was with the camera angle pointing upward at the end? as to not catch peoples tears?

I choked up because Roy was not there! I went and looked again just to make sure and he wasn't there!!! BOO ON THE ACADEMY for missing Roy! BOO!

Morbid1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    Thats right! Good point Dearheart.

Wow..I forgot about that..and they should of added Roy.

Hopefully,they will add him next year..but thats still unfair.

-Morbid1

That's a downright blunder!
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Snoopy Guest
    On the phone to my agent as we speak...

Sidenote: Why does Renee Zellweger always looked like she just sucked on a lemon?
    Ahahahaha! I said the same thing last night..she definately needs to open her eyes more..!

Snoopy Guest

I knew Heath would be last and what was with the camera angle pointing upward at the end? as to not catch peoples tears?

I choked up because Roy was not there! I went and looked again just to make sure and he wasn't there!!! BOO ON THE ACADEMY for missing Roy! BOO!
    Oh that's right..Shame on the Academy! Wow that is definately an oversight!

Noelle Page Guest
    That whole montage was pathetic.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    That whole montage was pathetic.
    i was so mad that Roy wasnt included in the montage.

i think the show was boring and dull, and i wanted to cut my wrists when the 3rd Enchanted song was being performed. i mean....3 freaking songs!!!

The outfits....well, i think that Hillary Swank, Helen Mirren, Marion Cotillard, Jennifer Garner and Penelope Cruz looked lovely.
    i was rooting for Marion or Julie to win the award, and i wanted Johnny to win the Best Actor one but its ok for me that Daniel Day Lewin won it. He does a superb job in There will be blood.
    Javier Bardem is a cool guy, and a terrific actor.

leevancleef Guest
    Oh, by the way, they also missed Brad Renfo in the Memorial, What the fuck?

Ron Burgundy Guest

Before the montage began, it said, "In memoriam, Feb 01, 2007 - Jan 31st, 2008. Roy passed away this month. Hence, he will be shown next year. They have to have a cutoff at some point so they can have ample time to produce the clip.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    That memorial went so freaking fast if you blinked you missed someone. They gave more than one shot to some of the more obscure people and glazed over the more well-known ones.

I agree on Roy and Brad Renfo. Shame on them.

Gotta agree partially with Jack. Jon Stewart started strong but fizzled.

Helen Mirren was beautiful. Absolutely stunning; perfect dress, great accessories, flawless hair and makeup. I love that she is sexy and age appropriate.

Cameron Diaz was walking like she had a stick up her ass or the back of her very unfortunate gown.

I love it that Cody Diablo, a blogger, won for best screenplay.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Oh, by the way, they also missed Brad Renfo in the Memorial, What the fuck?
    You're absolutely right! they really dropped the ball on that montage!

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Helen Mirren was beautiful. Absolutely stunning; perfect dress, great accessories, flawless hair and makeup. I love that she is sexy and age appropriate.

Cameron Diaz was walking like she had a stick up her ass or the back of her very unfortunate gown.

I love it that Cody Diablo, a blogger, won for best screenplay.
    Helen Mirren is absolutely stunning, i so agree. He looked so lovely, i loved the dress. A class act.

I love that Diablo Cody won and that she wore slippers!

Noelle Page Guest
    Lots of lovely dresses this year. I'm giving Best Dressed to Heidi Klum, though she looks a bit too thin these days. Her high fashion/"Project Runway" chops were on fine display!

Though I do wish someone would do a Cher--wear something really avant garde.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Not too many ladies other than Heidi could have carried off that dress. She and Seal both looked great. I'm sure being a happy couple has something to do with it!

OMG, yes yes yes! One of the crazy Cher costumes with her ass hanging out and a headdress.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Though I do wish someone would do a Cher--wear something really avant garde.
    or do a bjork and wear a bird dress
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am glad that Daniel Day Lewis won. Fine actor.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I am glad that Daniel Day Lewis won. Fine actor.
    yep, hes terrific.
    i was rooting for Johnny Depp to win, because he deserves to have one already, but its fine that Daniel won it. He was my 2nd choice.

Quote Originally Posted by RLR12 View Post
    Well, guess the dog dug her up to give her her Oscar cause she won for best supporting.......

Tilda Swinton is hideous, she has a face like a boiled egg.

leevancleef Guest
    Best dressed in my opinion:

HELEN MIRREN

HILLARY SWANK wearing VERSACE.

PENELOPE CRUZ wearing CHANEL.

MARION COTILLARD wearing JEAN PAUL GAULTIER.

leevancleef Guest

JENNIFER GARNER wearing OSCAR DE LA RENTA.

HEIDI KLUM (I dont like the pink purse, tho)

leevancleef Guest
    Worst dressed in my opinion:

REBECCA MILLER

CAMERON DIAZ (gosh, her face looked terrible also)

TILDA SWINTON

leevancleef Guest
    ..and Mrs Watson and Noelle, im with you. i so miss Cher, those were the days!

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by death_hag_slag View Post
    Tilda Swinton is hideous, she has a face like a boiled egg.
    Her eyes remind me of those of a bullfrog I once gave a good squeezin' to when I was 7.

leevancleef Guest

Most/Least Deserved Oscars

Being the film freak i am , i really want to discuss about this subject with my fellow death hags:which are, in your opinion, the least deserved oscars of all time?
    And the greatest losers (unfairly)?
    Which were your favorites?
    Ok, these are some lists of the first ones that come to my mind:

Most Deserved Movies

CASABLANCA: best picture and best director (Michael Curtiz)
    THE LOST WEEKEND: best picture , best actor (Ray Milland) and best director (B.Wilder)
    FROM HERE TO ETERNITY:best picture and best director (Zinnemann)
    ON THE WATERFRONT: best picture, best actor (Brando), best director(Kazan), best supporting actress(Eva Marie Saint)
    THE GODFATHER(Cabaret and Deliverance were damn good that same year): best picture, best actor (Brando), and best screenplay.
    AMADEUS:best picture and best director(Milos Forman)
    PLATOON:best picture and best director (Oliver Stone)
    THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS: best picture, best actor (Hopkins), best actress(Foster), best director (Jonathan Demme)

Least Deserved Movies

REBECCA: i love the movie, but The Grapes of Wrath and The Great Dictator were better.
    AN AMERICAN IN PARIS: I'd have voted for A place in the sun or A Streetcar Named Desire.
    GIGI: I prefer AUNTIE MAME.
    DANCES WITH WOLVES: I think im a minority in this, but i prefer Goodfellas
    SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE: One of the least deserved. Saving Private Ryan was way better.

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    They also ignored Robert Goulet in the Roll Call of Death.

leevancleef Guest
    Most Deserved Actors

Spencer Tracy for Captains Courageous
    Ray Milland for the Lost Weekend
    Laurence Olivier for Hamlet
    Brando for On the Waterfront
    Ernest Borgnine for Marty
    Fredric March for The best days of our lives
    Alec Guinness for Bridge on the River Kwai
    Gregory Peck for To kill a Mockinbird
    Lee Marvin for Cat Ballou
    Brando for The Godfather
    Jack Lemmon for Save the Tiger
    Jack Nicholson for OFOTCN
    Henry Fonda for On Golden Pond
    Anthony Hopkins for Silence of the Lambs
    Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump

There are more, but these are the firsts that come to my mind.

leevancleef Guest
    Least Deserved Actors

Humphrey Bogart for the African Queen: Bogie deserved an Oscar but not that year in my opinion. Monty Clift (A Place in the sun) and Brando (Streetcar...) were better.

Gary Cooper for High Noon: i think that Kirk Douglas (The Bad and the Beautiful)and Alec Guinness (Lavander Hill Mob)were better .

David Niven for Separate Tables: i prefer Sidney Poitier in The Defiant Ones and Paul Newman in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Paul Scofield for A Man for all Seasons: Richard Burton deserved it for Whos afraid of Virginia Wolf?

John Wayne for True Grit: im a Wayne fan but i think that Dustin Hoffman deserved the award for Midnight Cowboy.

Nicholas Cage for Leaving las Vegas: i'd have voted for Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking.

Adrien Brody for The Pianist: Dont get me wrong, i loved his work, but Daniel Day Lewis was beyond amazing in Gangs of New York.

RLR12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Least Deserved Actors

Humphrey Bogart for the African Queen: Bogie deserved an Oscar but not that year in my opinion. Monty Clift (A Place in the sun) and Brando (Streetcar...) were better.

Gary Cooper for High Noon: i think that Kirk Douglas (The Bad and the Beautiful)and Alec Guinness (Lavander Hill Mob)were better .

David Niven for Separate Tables: i prefer Sidney Poitier in The Defiant Ones and Paul Newman in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Paul Scofield for A Man for all Seasons: Richard Burton deserved it for Whos afraid of Virginia Wolf?

John Wayne for True Grit: im a Wayne fan but i think that Dustin Hoffman deserved the award for Midnight Cowboy.

Nicholas Cage for Leaving las Vegas: i'd have voted for Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking.

Adrien Brody for The Pianist: Dont get me wrong, i loved his work, but Daniel Day Lewis was beyond amazing in Gangs of New York.
    I completely agree with you regarding Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking and Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York. DDL blew my mind in Gangs of New York. He was amazing.
    Oh, and you couldn't be more right regarding Saving Private Ryan and Shakespeare in Love. Can't believe the way that went down.

RLR12 Guest
    FYI - not disagreeing with you on all the others or anything. Some I haven't seen and I'm not gonna list every single one I agree with you on. The ones I named above were just the ones I felt the strongest about.

I did like Bogie in African Queen but I think you may be right that Brando was better in Streetcar. Haven't seen A Place in the Sun.

What was your opinion on the movie that won last year? The Departed. Not saying it rates up there with some of the ones you named, but I did think it was a great movie. I was glad it won and glad that Scorsese finally got his Oscar.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    What is that thing on Cher's head? Do you think she can pick up Toyko with it?

hehehe

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RLR12 View Post
    What was your opinion on the movie that won last year? The Departed. Not saying it rates up there with some of the ones you named, but I did think it was a great movie. I was glad it won and glad that Scorsese finally got his Oscar.
    Hi RLR, thanks for your comments
    i dont think that The DEPARTED is Scorsese's best film.
    I think that they gave him the award because it was about time to do so!!
    i think he should have won and Oscar for best director before, for Taxi Driver, Ragging Bull or Goodfellas.
    i liked the Departed but its not one of my Scorsese's favorites.