Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Lady of the Angels school fire

Quote Originally Posted by luckyinlove View Post
    Sorry, it's called "No Disposable Kids" here's a link on amazon http://www.amazon.com/No-Disposable-...I2609NH9RPXSQ2
    Thank You Lucky!!!

Thanks!
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I would still like a pm on the little jerk's named that started the fire, want to do research and see if as an adult he did anything else or if there were fires in the area he lived that weren't solved...know what I mean?

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    If anyone is interested there is a fantastic book about this. It is call "To Sleep with the Angels." Very good.
    This book just happened to show up in a box of donated books we got at the place where I am interning for the summer. It was deemed inappropriate for the foster kids so I snagged it. I'm into the 2nd chapter as I've only been able to read it between calls at work. I've already had to put the book down twice to compose myself.

Ms. K Guest
    Someone please PM me the name of the suspected arsonist. I'm sure that the survivors probably know who he is, or at least, have their suspicions. I don't want to put it out for general consumption, but it would be nice to know that even if it's just here, that there are people who KNOW. And that he can't hide behind anonymity because the Church decided that it would make them look bad to admit that this kid was a problem.

Could someone PM me with the name too? I won't spill it either. I had a name when I was doing a little research, but not sure if it's correct or not.
    Cindy

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pksgigi View Post
    I would still like a pm on the little jerk's named that started the fire, want to do research and see if as an adult he did anything else or if there were fires in the area he lived that weren't solved...know what I mean?

BUMP.....and pretty please too.

I just started my copy of to sleep with angels and I am crying, it's so horrible , the way it's told is like I am actually there.

Now I know the little bastards name been looking for his obit, If I had the money to subscribe to an archived news paper site spanning back three hundred years I would it's 29.95 for three months. I bet I could find it in there. If anyone happens to come across copies of the newspaper stories of the OLA school fire, and can print them off for me I would pay you for them. The actual prints or something.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 07-29-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Hmmm he is hard to find any info about, even the sortedbyname lists a ton of people by his name that would have been born around that time and none of them in Chicago, was he born in Ill.?

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CAYQ8gEwAA

looked up the address the bastard lived at at the time of the his confession here it is. If you click on the small picture on the left of the brick building it will pull up a picture of what it looks like today . Trying to find out where they lived when the fire happened...

I googled the address of the School this is where it says it is, I heard it closed down in 1999 and was opened as another school.

Also are we sure we have the right name of the bastard or did they live his name off the survivor list I do not see his name at all.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 07-31-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: corrected address for location of the school as it is today.

They left the name off on purpose.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    They left the name off on purpose.
    I am finding nothing on this person, are you sure that the name is correct, and does person that gave you name have proof that he was the boy that confessed? would love to find out more, I am not doubting you but just wondering how person that gave you name got the name.

http://csafd.proboards.com/index.cgi...nt&thread=2655
    not sure if this has been posted.

Found boys birthday, He was born October 4, 1948 and died here in California Sept 2004, someone on another forum posted this info, will include link hmmm seems someone else is looking for him too. Looking for name of 13 yr old confessed arsonist of the Our Lady of Angels fire. Died 2004, might be Phillip, lived in California, served in Vietnam , drove truck. I can be reached at ( I withheld the email of the person)

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T1OF84V6F94J5OACH

Last edited by pkstracy; 07-29-2012 at 06:16 PM.

luckyinlove Guest
    I've had no luck finding any info about him, even with the name. Is the name we have his step fathers last name? At OLA he had his mothers maiden name which may help if we can find it. Does anyone have ancestry.com? Even with a name DOB, and approximately death date and place I'm coming up with nothing!

luckyinlove Guest
    Also, just downloaded To Sleep with the Angels on my kindle, looking forward to reading it!

18. 07-29-2012, 10:51 PM

Soxmeup Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyinlove View Post
    I've had no luck finding any info about him, even with the name. Is the name we have his step fathers last name? At OLA he had his mothers maiden name which may help if we can find it. Does anyone have ancestry.com? Even with a name DOB, and approximately death date and place I'm coming up with nothing!
    I do. PM me?

That Cicero address is a mile and a half from me. I could walk there. Wasn't a nice neighborhood even back then.

Yes, the name we have is his stepdad's last name.

Good find, pksgigi!

Thanks Alan, also in To sleep with Angels it has his full confession in it. Hearing that he was in Vietnam, I wonder what war crimes he committed there, I have a feeling there are unsolved crimes, fires that he may have done later on in life.

luckyinlove Guest
    I've been trying to find information on the Town Hall Bowling Alley fire that he allegedly started on 12-30-61 but have since found very little information about it. I also can't find any record of him serving in the military...at least under the name I have. Let me know if any of you find anything!

Nelliebean Guest
    You guys are thorough!

I wouldn't want you coming after me.

lisalouver Guest

looked up the address the bastard lived at at the time of the his confession here it is. If you click on the small picture on the left of the brick building it will pull up a picture of what it looks like today . Trying to find out where they lived when the fire happened...

I googled the address of the School this is where it says it is, I heard it closed down in 1999 and was opened as another school

Also are we sure we have the right name of the bastard or did they live his name off the survivor list I do not see his name at all.
    I googled mapped the old addy and yeah, the brick building is still standing. The school is completly closed now. The church just reopened in April after major removations. Mostly, it is being used for people who need help: food shelf, learning how to use a computer, job search, etc. There are no current plans to restart services at this time. The area is rough, to say the least.

Found boys birthday, He was born October 4, 1948 and died here in California Sept 2004, someone on another forum posted this info, will include link hmmm seems someone else is looking for him too. Looking for name of 13 yr old confessed arsonist of the Our Lady of Angels fire. Died 2004, might be Phillip, lived in California, served in Vietnam , drove truck. I can be reached at ( I withheld the email of the person)

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T1OF84V6F94J5OACH

I posted some of that topix thread a few pages back. There are a few people on there who clearly know who this kid is (or was) however we really have NO confirmation that the guy is even dead. I know many have said that he died in Cali in 2004, but there really is no confirmation of that.

His birthdate and address at the time of the fire are listed in his full confession, yes. Which you can read in full on the OLA site.

26. 07-30-2012, 07:56 PM

Bastard was born in Cleveland ohio, the mother was raped by her stepfather, when he went to OLA he lived at 508 North Springfield. After the fire he was enrolled in St Attracta , then his last school cicero elementary school.
    According to google maps this is the location, but now it says 519 and different zip code, erie how close he lived from OLA just a few blocks away going north
    ohh guess what the house if for sale. http://www.trulia.com/homes/Illinois...icago-IL-60624
    Last edited by pkstracy; 07-30-2012 at 08:24 PM.

28. 07-30-2012, 08:18 PM

You are most welcome Todd, now I must go search for all the little phillips f-bomb that was born in cleveland ohio on oct 4,1948
    Todd if you can get To sleep with the angels by David Cowan (who was a fire bug himself ) and John Kuenster.

ohhh I may have found him not 100 percent date of death and location match, wish I could pay for the subscription. I won't post the name until I am very sure.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 07-30-2012 at 08:49 PM.

According to the webmaster/owner of the OLA site, David Cowan is now living in France. Kuenster died either this or last year.

Tom Raymond's Eyewitness Account of Fire

*Tom is the brother of John Raymond*
    Tom Feared Sight Of Death's Mask
    (Editor's note: Tommy Raymond, 12, a seventh grader, who was trapped for 20 minutes in his second floor classroom at Our Lady of the Angels School. Here is Tommy's story.)
    CHICAGO, Dec. 1 - I stood there on the window sill and all I could think of was how I would look dead.
    Most of my other classmates had already got out and I was the last one, and when I walked into the hall the smoke was so thick I ran back into the room. Then I went to the window and took some books and threw them out through the glass to break the window. It's funny, but I remember which books I threw out. I threw out my reader and some test books.
    After the window broke I stood up on the sill and began to think about jumping out from the second floor. That's when I saw the firemen down below. They shouted at me not to jump, that they'd come up and get me, so I got back off the sill.
    Now that I think back how it started, I remember it was a singing lesson we were having. We didn't know anything about the fire until all of a sudden we heard a lot of screams. We couldn't make out what the screams were for a moment. Then we knew it was the eighth graders yelling, 'Fire, fire, fire.'
    We started going out just like we did in fire drills. You know we had two or three fire drills already this winter because this was an old school and somebody always figured it was going to burn down someday.
    By the time I got out into the hall I couldn't breathe, the smoke was so thick, so I ran into the back room. For a while I was all by myself and then some girls came running into the room.
    They were from another room. I yelled at them to lie down on the floor, because that's what I remember from fire drills to do when there's a lot of smoke.
    The girls said kids from other rooms were hanging on one another's belts to form a line to get to the stairs because it was dark as night on the second floor.
    Then I saw a man coming through the door and we could see flames on the other side of the building. The man grabbed a few girls and led them back out with him.
    I stayed by the window, though, and I was scared. All I could think of was how I would look dead. Then the fireman came up and led me down the ladder.

Wow didn't know that, found the Cicero School little F-bomb went to at the time of his confession

http://www.olafire.com/FOLAPhotoAlbum.asp

Charlene A. Jancik, President of Friends of OLA passed away on November 30, 2003. She was hospitalized on October 15 with a brain aneurysm, and underwent surgery a week later. A few days later she went into a coma and never regained consciousness. Her tragic passing was a crushing loss for her family and her many, many friends.
    At the age of 9, Charlene survived the Our Lady of the Angels school fire on December 1, 1958 by jumping from a window in her room 210 second floor classroom. She suffered a broken back and pelvis in the jump, and spent months in traction in the hospital, and over a year in a body brace.
    In 2003, Charlene became President of the newly reconstituted Friend of OLA group. She was a motivated and energetic leader for the group, excited about working toward achieving the group's many goals.
    She will be forever missed, never forgotten.

This is supposed to be Michele Mcbride.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Press-P...item416580d20d
    Last edited by pkstracy; 07-30-2012 at 09:22 PM.

I'm sad to report that "Friends of OLA" member Edward Glanz, OLA class of 1959 and survivor of Room 211, passed away on Tuesday, March 6. His obituary follows:Edward T. Glanz, a resident of Grayslake for 33 years, passed away Tuesday, March 6, 2012, at Advocate Condell, Libertyville. He was a longtime employee of Abbott Laboratories, where he served as Treasurer, C&E Europe, CIS and Israel. He was a lifelong Chicago Cubs and Chicago Bears fan, survived the Our Lady of Angels fire in Chicago in 1958, and was a member of the Grayslake Knights of Columbus Precious Blood Council #9689. There was no greater joy in Ed's life than being with people, loving them, and being loved in return. Ed was the beloved husband of Susan, nee Wolter; loving father of Patrick; dear brother of Lenore, Joan Polishak, John (Carol), and the late Dorothy Anderson; and cherished uncle, brother-in-law and cousin to a large and loving extended family. No one was a stranger to Ed whose great warmth and giving nature was rewarded by many kind and loyal friends.
    Friends of the family may visit on Sunday, March 11, 2012, from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Strang Funeral Chapel & Crematorium, 410 East Belvidere Road, Grayslake, IL 60030. A mass of Christian burial is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Monday, March 12, 2012, at St. Gilbert Catholic Church, 301 East Belvidere Road, Grayslake. Interment will follow at Ascension Cemetery in Libertyville.

http://www.olafire.com/ShowTopic.asp?A=N

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/bu...ref=obituaries
    TSWTA he was the firefighter and the reporter at the OLA school. pages 94-96 281-282

more about the fbomb from the website I am finding all this stuff posted by someone

It appears that he had some form of cancer. Apparently, he was sick and unable to work for a year or more before his death. His property was in foreclosure when he died, presumably because he had been unable to pay the mortgage.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 07-30-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Rev. John J. Kobus, a priest of the Chicago Archdiocese for 34 years, passed away on Saturday, September 17, 2011. As a second grader, he survived the OLA fire and years later entered the priesthood, being ordained by Cardinal Cody in 1977.In recent years, Father Kobus was Chaplain and Coordinator of Spiritual Services at St. Mary of Nazareth Hospital in Chicago.
    Obituary: http://www.archchicago.org/news_rele...it_092011.html

Sorry to be bombarding the board, but I just thought all this should be included. I am obessed with this for some odd reason.

Retired firefighter Sal Imburgia, who fought the OLA fire, passed away on August 20. Imburgia was behind the wheel of Truck 36 when it responded to the Box Alarm. Standing atop a ladder, Imburgia pulled children from Room 208 until the roof collapsed.The Chicago Suburban Daily Herald published the following obituary on August 24, 2011:
    Salvatore L. Imburgia of Huntley, 84, died Aug. 20, 2011, in Elgin. He was born Jan. 21, 1927, in Monessen, Pa., son of the late Joseph and Lena Imburgia. He was one of the "greatest generation," serving in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He worked for the Chicago Fire Department for 27 years retiring as lieutenant. He moved to Western Grove, Ark., where he developed and trained a volunteer fire department. He also lived in Las Vegas and returned to this area in 2006. He is survived by his wife of 42 years, Carmella Imburgia; his sons, Joseph of Cherry Valley and Robert (Marjorie) of Algonquin; his daughter, Deborah (Russ) of Newnan, Ga.; one brother, Joseph (Rosemary) of Glenview; his grandchildren, Joseph (Heather), James, Robert Jr., Bradley (Michelle), Matthew Imburgia and Ryan (Mary) Mullins; and great-grandchildren, Joseph, Thomas and Declan. He was preceded in death by two brothers, Thomas and Frank; daughter-in-law, Deborah; and granddaughter, Heather Lynnae. Visitation will be from 4 to 9 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 25, at the Willow Funeral Home, 1415 Algonquin Road, Algonquin. Please omit flowers. Memorials may be made to The Salvation Army. Cremation arrangements will be handled by Willow Funeral Home.

TSWTA pps 81-82,84-85,102-103,279-280

I have just learned that Joseph Spatafore passed away on October 26, 2009, after having been diagnosed with cancer in August the same year. As a 9 year old, Joseph was a member of Sister Seraphica's 4th grade class in room 210, where he suffered not only burn injuries from the fire, but a shattered shoulder and head injury when he jumped from a window.Belated condolences to his family and friends.
    http://www.olafire.com/ShowTopic.asp?A=Y

I can't get over the date of death for Charlene Jancik, Nov. 30. So close to the anniversary date of the fire. This reminds me of "Final Destination." She escaped death and suffered the living hell of having a broken back, then dies years later close to the date she cheated death.

Leroy Kelly, ret.Captain of H&L 36 died Monday.
    F.F. Leroy Kelly was assigned to H&L 36 on Dec. 1st,1958 and aided in the rescue of many at OLA on that sad day. He was honored by the FOLA in 2009. Leroy was 81 years old and a great athlete in his younger days. He had 3 sons also on the CFD. A 'good' guy. RIP Leroy
    Notice in the Tribune paper.http://www.olafire.com/ShowTopic.asp?A=Y

John Trotta, who lost his only son in the school fire, died on June 27, 2001. He was 91 years old. The funeral Mass was held at Our Lady of Mt.Carmel Church, with interment in Queen of Heaven Cemetery. His wife Lydia died in 2009.

http://www.olafire.com/ShowTopic.asp?A=Y

I cannot sleep been reading and doing research .
    Last edited by pkstracy; 07-30-2012 at 10:28 PM.

I agree Alan. Please if I am overloading the board let me know and I will stop. I just joined the OLA fire message board. John Raymond's son, is on there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/bu...ref=obituaries
    TSWTA he was the firefighter and the reporter at the OLA school. pages 94-96 281-282

more about the fbomb from the website I am finding all this stuff posted by someone

It appears that he had some form of cancer. Apparently, he was sick and unable to work for a year or more before his death. His property was in foreclosure when he died, presumably because he had been unable to pay the mortgage.
    I'm sure cancer wasn't good enough after what he put those children through.

It isn't my board or topic and I'm glad you posted the updates.

Were some of the pics at the morgue or at some of the hospitals?

I cannot get over one of the nuns that died's name. Sister Champagne. Ha! She had a great name. That's all I have to say.

Almost done with Michele's book. Her account is terrifying.

There's this picture of her in the back of the book. That I haven't been able to find anywhere online. It was taken around the time the book came out. She was gorgeous! Damn! You cannot even tell what happened. At all.

Alan they were taken at the hospital and the morgue. I agree Todd, she was beautiful. Yes the nun had a wonderful name LOL>

http://www.olafire.com/Room106_1956Class.asp

if you click on the picture then to the left it says view names, Michele McBride is in this one. Someone listed all the names or as many as they can on the photos

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Wonderful job pksgigi on all the extra research. Please keep it coming! Reading all the books definitely makes you feel as if you were there. Kuenster's Remembrances of the Angels is also a great read.

One story that always stuck out more than others was of Beverly Burda who never made it out of room 209. I've always felt so moved by this and its entire story. I can't imagine what her family (as well as all the families) had to go through.

Sister Davidis-Devine agreed to be rescued from 209 only after she thought all the students were safe. It was only after she was on the ladder that she saw Beverly laying on the floor in the room. Sister Davidis, who didn't even realize how badly she had been hurt and was hospitalized for a while, lived to be 100. Beverly, because of a family incident, was one of several kids from the school that were going to stay home that day.....(forum)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4423,2715955

Thanks Timeo, Driving my parents nuts staying up and obsessing over this.

Biter Guest
    Can you pm me the arsonist's name? I swear I'll take it to the grave.....