Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920 LastLast

Thread: Our Lady of the Angels school fire

I haven't been on the Station thread in a long time. Now I gotta go look.

To keep this on topic, the link to the photo of the lad in question doesn't work anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John Arthur Presti died on July 22, 1999 in Fort Myers, FL. He had been born in Pennsylvania, and was buried in Rosehill cemetery in Chicago IL His widow Barbara has been listed as living both in Fort Myers and back in Illinois (which makes sense as her kids and grandkids reside there.) He had 3 children listed in his obituary-- the younger daughter and son must be his and Barbara's, but it is not specified whether the eldest daughter listed is from this marriage or the earlier one to Alice. In any case, there is NO mention of his former wife or stepson (who was still alive then and would be for several more years) as it sometimes done nowadays, so that connection must have ceased. (And just as well, I suppose.) http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    Last edited by Linnie; 12-01-2015 at 08:05 PM. Reason: finxed link

...this story indeed is a very sad one and I hope that the families found some sort of comfort :'(

I'm also curious as to what you meant also LLC.

Chicago273 Guest
    We Remember! God bless all the victims of OLA, past, present, and future.

I forgot to come to this thread yesterday but yes we won't forget

I was down and out due to health issues and never made it to either board on the anniversary. Has anyone read The Immaculate Deception by Robert Chiappetta yet? I heard about and order it but haven't dug in yet.
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

No I haven't read it.

8. 02-13-2016, 09:02 AM

I also have not read it. Anyone else not read it?
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

I haven't.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Truthfully it looks a bit overwhelming and fact laden. I was hoping for something more like To Sleep With Angels. Lots of testimony quoted.
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

Thanks for the heads up about the book Chicago. I think I'll pass on that one.

LOVEoverHate Guest
    Hi, I am new to this thread. Like so many of you, I have found myself intrigued with learning everything about this fire. How, What, Why, What now!? I am mainly intrigued by William Eddington Jr's death, maybe because there is littler information on him, or because he was the last to succumb to his injuries, I am not sure. Does anyone have anything on him? That poor boy remained in the hospital from the day of the fire until August.

DeeG Guest

Philip's mother's passing

Alice P. Enos Sommers died this past December. For some reason I can't paste the link to the obituary, but you can google it. The obituary references her son Philip and ignores her marriage to Presti.

Great Find DeeG.

Quote Originally Posted by AngieDFan View Post
    I wonder who wrote that obituary. Didn't she have a child from the marriage to Presti (who was not mentioned, unlike her other husbands), or was that one adopted by Mr. Enos? And poor Taylor was her great-grand-daughter (via Nick).

Hard to believe, she was only 25 at the time of the fire, with a 10-year-old alleged arsonist for a son. That was a tragically messed-up family, which led to tragedy for so many others.

https://youtu.be/YAZMFDVwwAo
    If this link doesn't work, please let me know. This is the Jonathan Friga song, "The Day They Became Angels." I will be immersed in finals on December 1 and I wanted to pay my respect to the 92 children and the three teaching nuns.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

incase I don't get on here tomorrow, remembering the angels and those that survived. Goddess bless.

R.I.P to those lost in the fire and bless those who were effected by it.

Thinking of all who suffered on this sad day.

Every time someone brings up long-ago, sometimes almost-forgotten deaths here, the victims (and others damaged by these events, even decades on) become part of us. As long as we live, someone will remember them. And if the word is spread, someone else will take up the work of memory. It's a form of immortality.

Bernice Cichocki's mom, Genowefa, here is her Tribute video, she passed away in 2015 http://www.countrysidefuneralhomes.com/video/3363972

William Edington Sr passed away June of this year, His Son William R Edington Jr was injured in the fire, and he died August 9,1959 http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dai...?pid=185930568 his mother is still alive.

Josephine Jajkowski, mother of John Jaijlowski, he is the one that is shown in Life Magazine of the Fireman carrying his body out of the school, has passed away, https://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/?...70&fh_id=12872

my husband found and bought for me the Life Magazine issue covering the fire and with that photo of John Jajkowski in it.

The little bastard that set the fire.

Mark Stachura's Mother, Mary, passed away in 2014 She was 91, http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chi...?pid=173578957, His father only lived to be 52, he died of a heart attack.

"The little bastard that set the fire."

And the stepfather wondering "What the HELL crazy mess kind of a family have I gotten myself into?"

Disregard this post. I have just finally FINALLY finished reading through all of the topic so I got my answer.
    Last edited by Amazee-Dayzee; 10-14-2017 at 09:09 PM.

sorry, but that kid didn't even LOOK right in the head.
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

Actually I have a very unnerving story that actually is something like this which could happen. Both of my sisters went to a Catholic elementary-middle school for grades 7 and 8 and they told me they the school NEVER did any fire drills. You would have thought that with something like this that had happened half a decade ago at the time, they would have been very fervent in nailing down an escape plan.

Amazee, I am surprised the school got away with it, as they do have inspectors come around and check the logs, wonder how they were able to get away with it.

Honestly I was shocked also. I wanted to think that my sisters were lying when they said it but they are sticking to their story and over the years I have been thinking it over in my head a lot but the more I tend to think about it the more I tend to go back and forth on it. This is the state that had the Station nightmare in 2002. The building at least is sprinklered but reportedly no fire drills are done. I can't find anything about it from looking online. Someone else might have better luck though. Woodlawn Catholic Regional School it was called (don't know how many Rhode Islanders actually post here though)

Big fine for the school, Amazee if they were ever caught not doing fire drills.

In memory of the children and teaching nuns who died 59 years ago today.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I didn't make it once again, on the day of, but remembering them today and yesterday.

Just received my copy of the latest book, Avers and Iowa, and wondering if anyone else has read this yet?
    -Anonymous

No I haven't didn't know there was another book out, will have to go look for it. Ah it was published in 2015

Yeah, I wonder why it took so long to hear any mention of it?
    -Anonymous

Just finished reading the book. It as well written but I have mixed feelings about the use of real names without then person’s permission. The book states insurance was provided by Fireman’s Fund, a sister company to mine until it was sold. Wonder if that was true.
    -Anonymous

60 years yesterday.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Once again didnt get here on the day of, but thinking of them today and yesterday

If all goes right this spring/summer. In Fall I am making a trip to Chicago. I told the person I am going to see that I want to visit the site of the old school and then the cemetery where most of the kids are buried. It's a go.

So. If I end up there. Expect a shit ton of pictures. This case never fails to make me sad and fascinate me at the same time.

I wonder if any of the angels will make themselves known to you at Queen of Heaven
    -Anonymous

I've had paranormal experiences before. But, that was when I was a kid. Never as an adult. But, it would be interesting if something happened.

Yes please post pictures, I used to drive through Chicago a lot and never knew about what happened there or I would have took a moment to find it and pay my respects.

Last edited by kickit; 06-09-2019 at 09:37 PM.

No, He died in 2004, His name was Philip Presti, aka Philip Deckard or Decker.

The anniversary passed while the Forum was down. But these little angels are never forgotten.
    -Anonymous

I agree I don't think they should be forgotten either. I just found my books on the fire, To sleep with the Angels and Rememberance of Angels and The Fire that Would not die, someone bought me the other book Immaculate Deception I think it's called.

Musky58 Guest
    Now reading Death of the Angels by Alex Burkholder. Its good- interviews from 76-77 from people involved. Individuals from each "major" room and from each fire company. Eckhartz Press