Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murder of Robbie Wayne

Mamma Guest

Murder of Robbie Wayne

Hello my fellow Death Hags,

I'm on a quest to find this short story, published in the November of 1980 Readers Digest, entitled "The Murder of Robbie Wayne, Age Six". The short story was written by author Mary Chambers, and received awards shortly after it's publication.

I have already contacted Readersdigest.com, and this back issue is no longer available. I have been searching all over the web (including Ebay) for a copy of this publication (which I would gladly pay for) but no luck.

So I'm sending out this request that if any of our members may have this story available in their "collections", please contact me if possible. This is a tough issue to find, and I've even scoured the local book stores and thrift stores looking for this such issue and story. No luck.

The story is based on a young child who was abused to death my his mother and father (step father, I think?) It's an awful, tragic story, but it's never escaped me. Several months after it's publication, Readers Digest did a follow up called "Those Who Mourn for Robbie Wayne", but I have found nothing online where I could locate it.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give, and if you've heard of the story, please share. It's similar to "A Boy Called It", with about 25-30 years difference. Also, in "ABCI", the boy survived, Robbie did not. Thank you kindly.
    Last edited by Mamma; 01-18-2008 at 01:45 PM.

malaki Guest
    Do you have the date of the mag???

Mamma Guest
    Yes, November of 1980, Reader's Digest. The back cover artwork was some sort of bird, dark brown, commonly seen in the fall time, thus the November issue.

malaki Guest
    I'll check my moms stack for ya..

Mamma Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by malaki View Post
    I'll check my moms stack for ya..
    That would be awesome honey, thank you so much for your help! I appreciate the effort .

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Hey mamma I'm going to look around for you. I remember seeing a pile of RD's somewhere and I just have to figure out where I was.

Let me think and I will let you know if I come up with anything.

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    I'm on a quest to find this shorty story, published in the November of 1980 Readers Digest, entitled "The Murder of Robbie Wayne, Age Six". The short story was written by author Mary Chambers, and received awards shortly after it's publication.
    What do you need it for? Readers Digest certainly has an archive copy somewhere that you can get a copy or fiche printout for a price. If you indicate it is for non-profit charitable purposes since it is about abuse, they will likely be more eager to help. ReadersDigest.com will not help you. They've changed owners many times.
    Call corporate, indicate your quest and failure contacting other avenues. Give specific information and ask for the archivist contact information who can actually help you out.
    William K. Adler
    Vice President, Global
    Communications
    (914) 244-7585
    william.adler@rd.com

Mamma Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    What do you need it for? Readers Digest certainly has an archive copy somewhere that you can get a copy or fiche printout for a price. If you indicate it is for non-profit charitable purposes since it is about abuse, they will likely be more eager to help. ReadersDigest.com will not help you. They've changed owners many times.
    Call corporate, indicate your quest and failure contacting other avenues. Give specific information and ask for the archivist contact information who can actually help you out.
    William K. Adler
    Vice President, Global
    Communications
    (914) 244-7585
    william.adler@rd.com
    Thanks guys! This means alot to me, as I'd love to have it for the research I'm working on now.

Belle, I went back to Readers Digest dot com and submitted a request for it again. I'm with you, it's hard for me to believe that in this day and age that RD cannot print this story out from their archives, even microfische. I've searched hi and lo for this short story's printing in the hard back editions of Readers Digest "Best of ...". I am baffled that for as much as this story is covered in colleges, and awards being won because of it, that this story is not readily available. I'll keep trying and let you know what I find.

Thanks, darlins .

Keyser Soze Guest
    there was a story in Family Circle back in 1985 that still haunts me. It was about a girl that was murdered by her football player boyfriend. I don't remember the name of the article, but every time I hear "who's cryin now" by Journey, I think of it- it was playing on my record player when I was reading it.

Belle Guest
    Belle, I went back to Readers Digest dot com and submitted a request for it again. I'm with you, it's hard for me to believe that in this day and age that RD cannot print this story out from their archives, even microfische. I've searched hi and lo for this short story's printing in the hard back editions of Readers Digest "Best of ...". I am baffled that for as much as this story is covered in colleges, and awards being won because of it, that this story is not readily available. I'll keep trying and let you know what I find..
    The Reader's Digest.com people likely work on current products customer service. If you drop an email to CORPORATE, I bet somebody there actually knows where the 27 year old archives are kept. Or they know WHO DOES KNOW! You did the right thing starting with the actual ReadersDigest website, but since your request is out of their realm, usually if you go way to the top you get more information. Somebody at corporate knows if they even bought the old archives when they bought the current magazine. The current RD customer service people just likely honestly don't KNOW what you need, even if they are trying.

NOVSTORM Guest

I'm on a quest to find this short story, published in the November of 1980 Readers Digest, entitled "The Murder of Robbie Wayne, Age Six". The short story was written by author Mary Chambers, and received awards shortly after it's publication.

I have already contacted Readersdigest.com, and this back issue is no longer available. I have been searching all over the web (including Ebay) for a copy of this publication (which I would gladly pay for) but no luck.

So I'm sending out this request that if any of our members may have this story available in their "collections", please contact me if possible. This is a tough issue to find, and I've even scoured the local book stores and thrift stores looking for this such issue and story. No luck.

The story is based on a young child who was abused to death my his mother and father (step father, I think?) It's an awful, tragic story, but it's never escaped me. Several months after it's publication, Readers Digest did a follow up called "Those Who Mourn for Robbie Wayne", but I have found nothing online where I could locate it.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give, and if you've heard of the story, please share. It's similar to "A Boy Called It", with about 25-30 years difference. Also, in "ABCI", the boy survived, Robbie did not. Thank you kindly.
    Wayne Murder Case :: BoardReader

Have you tried this? Its only selected articles- but if it won awards it could be in there...

http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=23657947&aid=frg
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

sweetpea Guest

Thumbs up Robbie wayne

I have the story from Readers Digest, if you still need it. I have used it in my classroom for over 20 years...

Here is a short bio of Mary Chambers, who wrote the article, as well as other stories which were published in RD, mainly her memoir of her marriage to a NASA scientist, "DON'T LAUNCH HIM-- HE'S MINE!", which I well remember.

http://www.cgpublishing.com/Author_B..._chambers.html

My friend's mother bought me RD subscriptions for years in that era and I very likely read the Robbie Wayne thing, but have done periodic purges of old RDs since then.

Sweetpea, has your copy of the article been scanned in PDF or transcribed? My curiosity is now piqued.

P.S., someone created a FindaGrave entry for Robbie Wayne, but with no specific information on where he's buried, let alone any pictures.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=36801110&

ParrothedKay Guest
    Was Robbie Wayne the little black boy who was hanged (not killed but more like "hanged upside down) in a closet among his many other tortures?

My family had a subscription too...but as someone else said, we've gotten rid of the back copies now.

GODDESS6 Guest

i remember this story too, my granny had a RD subscription for many many decades & i was so pissed after she passed that my uncle just tossed out all her RD'S , she kept every one, i loved reading them~ on the findagrave thing it says the article ran in 1981~ wasn't there a picture of the boy too in the article?, i swear i remember one~

i did find this, but it is sold~
    http://www.foxpages.com/7634.htm
    Last edited by GODDESS6; 03-07-2010 at 06:26 AM.

tiffany1976 Guest
    Sweatpea: will you please post the story? I'm so curious about it now. I've googled all over and cannot find anything about it. Thank you.

ccoetzer@webmail.co.za Guest

Robbie Wayne

Hi Mamma , I have found that edition on Readers Digest 1981 about Robbie Wayne ,
    You can contact me on
    ccoetzer@webmail.co.za

Hi Mamma , I have found that edition on Readers Digest 1981 about
    Robbie Wayne ,
    You can contact me on
    ccoetzer@webmail.co.za

ccoetzer@webmail.co.za Guest

Robbie Wayne

Hi Mamma , Sorry made a typing error it is 1980 the book you are looking for ,

have read it , it is a good short story

Looweez Guest

Post Would love a copy of Robbie Wayne story

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I have the story from Readers Digest, if you still need it. I have used it in my classroom for over 20 years...
    I don't know if you are still using this site Sweetpea, but if so, I would love a copy of the Robbie Wayne story. Post back if you do have a scanned copy that you could PDF and email .... or I'm happy to send stamped self addressed envelope if you photocopy (although, I'm assuming you are in America. I'm in Australia so could take a while....). I read it as a kid of 11 or 12 and have always wanted to read it again. It sparked my interest into human rights that led into a career advocating for people with HIV / AIDS in the days when they wouldn't even feed people with the disease in hospitals.

I, too, had a copy of this RD and explicitly remember reading the story of Robbie (Doud) Wayne. It haunted me for years. This was a little six year old boy who was severely abused and killed, mostly by his step father, but his mom also participated in the abuse. Robbie had a sister, I can't remember here name, who was also afraid of her step father but never abused. I remember being shocked when I read that she turned out to be a star witness for the defense.

The very, very sad part was Robbie's mother became pregnant by this "man." She had the baby in jail/prison and was allowed to keep her. However, this baby girl also died after being repeated flung into a prison wall, by her mother.

I went to a Christian school at that time, and as I said, this haunted me especially in the days after I read it, that I actually asked one of my teachers, "If a six year old boy is abused by his parents and he dies, would he go to heaven?" The answer my teacher gave, this was an otherwise brusque old lady, softened as she said, "Yes. I believe definitely yes."

When I saw the thread, I thought, it couldn't be that Robbie Wayne, but I was so shocked to see that it was. I'm sorry that I don't have the RD and I doubt my parents do, but this brutal story has haunted me all my life since I was 11 years old.

Now that I'm a mom, I don't think I could read it now...

DonnaMc Guest
    These stories just break my heart.

Mammy Guest
    I am really interested in hearing about this little boy and I couldn't find anything about him on the internet. If anyone knows any details, could you please post them here?

Honeybee70 Guest
    I read this story when it was published, and I was 10 years old. Until then I didn't know children were abused. I have never forgotten it. I would like a copy of this too. My e-mail is melissamae39@yahoo.com

I remember reading this, too! I was also only 9 or 10 when I read it.

Some of the details were quite disturbing. Wasn't there something about the washing machine or dryer? I also remember that when the sister was being cross-examined at the trial she was very defiant and screamed, "Stop yelling at me!" or something similar.

I can even vaguely recall the illustration with the article--a painting of the face of a very sad-eyed boy.

cindyella Guest
    i also read this story and can't forget it. i would love a copy!
    cindyjohnson200@att.net

(Deleted by TJ)
    Last edited by TaupinJohn; 11-07-2011 at 09:13 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

I can't find anything about this.. grrr
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Yeah, I found sites that talk about the article, but I haven't read it. I can find that he was six, and a few of the things he was subjected to, etc. But as far as a reprint of the story, nope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nelliebean Guest
    Is this the boy who was beaten for not swallowing his breakfast and died afterwards?

I don't know, Bean, but they gave some pretty sick examples of what he went through... the one that I can't get past is tying something to his teeth (his GOOD teeth, not loose teeth or anything) and tying the other end to doorknobs then slamming the door, just pulling them out one by one... that would be absolutely horrifying.

Also horrifying: that terrible link I put in earlier... I'm sorry. I didn't know what it was, I was trying to be helpful. I didn't even know there WERE sites online like that one, not that I'd be able to find, anyway... After I posted it, I got some coffee and decided to poke around a little on it and I thought HOLY CRAP! And I just linked everybody up to this sh*T! If anyone clicked it, I am so sorry. And I'm a lot of things, but a male homosexual pedophile just isn't one of them... seriously, I felt terrible and took it off as soon as I could.
    x,
    t.j.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There was a movie made of it called No one would tell, it stars Candice Cameron and Fred Savage. You tube has the full movie. In response to someone who asked about the girl who was killed by her foot ball player boyfriend. Sorry it didn't post the quote I was responding to.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 11-08-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Typo/and explanation.

Mulvaness Guest
    "No one would tell' is about an abusive relationship between boyfriend and girlfriend. I have seen it, it has nothing to do with this little boy.

Mulvaness Guest
    This is the story that "no one would tell" is about:
    http://noonewouldtell.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mulvaness View Post
    "No one would tell' is about an abusive relationship between boyfriend and girlfriend. I have seen it, it has nothing to do with this little boy.
    sorry it didn't put the quote in I was responding to someone, who asked about the case where the girl was killed by her boyfriend who was a football player, on here.

Mulvaness Guest
    Ah, ok. lol No, problem!

I read "The Murder of Robbie Wayne, Age Six" as a young teen or preteen and I remember that it disturbed me deeply. I couldn't fathom how a parent or stepparent could treat a child like that.

I also saw the movie "No One Would Tell." It is a VERY moving story, IMO.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

NOVSTORM Guest
    IT was november of 1981 this was published mary jane chambers. There is no book just that short story

babyblujems Guest
    I want to know more about this, I just turned 24 so I had never heard anything but I a going to school and I want to help kids before these parents can do away with the. I want to be that person who changes the system

Mulvaness Guest
    TJ~ I stumbled on to that site too and was stunned to see the url after I had already clicked on it. blech

Mulvaness...there is so much wrong with the people on that site... they seriously think that what they're doing is okay! I clicked around to see where it was I'd gone to, and I was going Oh No Freakin' Way... but yeah. Their thought process is, in a nutshell, that these kids want it. I'm so serious. I had to wash my hands after reading that rot... I swear I didn't realize people were so open about liking to do something so evil. Damn... just damn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    Mulvaness...there is so much wrong with the people on that site... they seriously think that what they're doing is okay! I clicked around to see where it was I'd gone to, and I was going Oh No Freakin' Way... but yeah. Their thought process is, in a nutshell, that these kids want it. I'm so serious. I had to wash my hands after reading that rot... I swear I didn't realize people were so open about liking to do something so evil. Damn... just damn.
    Rot is the word. All types of sickos out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Rot is the word. All types of sickos out there.
    I seriously didn't realize it was as bad as this until the Internet came along.

I had also copied the picture that went with the article, thinking it was Robbie Wayne, as the age fit and all. But those guys, they use pictures of themselves as young children for their avatars, did you notice that? I'm guessing you didn't stay long enough to notice (I was a very slow learner that morning, apparently).

I was telling my ex-husband about it... it was bothering me, it really was. I asked him what I could do about it and he said he had no idea, said they were probably very careful about what they said, etc. And maybe he's right. But it was absolutely crushing to realize that so many monsters are out there. My son is 15, which is "too old" for them of course. Normally I'm not the type to butt in (no really I'm not... I talk a lot, but I don't like a snitch) but in this case, I'd do anything I could to stop just one of them from hurting another child. One of them was talking about a farking THREE-year-old, saying the boy "knew what he was doing" and that he "wanted it"... and his little cronies agreed. Seriously, I'm haunted by that all the time.

I wish to God I'd never seen that site, ya know it? If you know of anything I CAN do, please PM me... I'd do it in a heartbeat.

x,
    t.j.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nelliebean Guest
    All you can do is report suspected abuse. (unlike those Penn state arsholes !!!!!) Can you imagine walking in on the rape of a ten year old boy and walking away?!?!

varuschka Guest

robbie wayne short story

Quote Originally Posted by ccoetzer@webmail.co.za View Post
    Hi Mamma , Sorry made a typing error it is 1980 the book you are looking for ,

have read it , it is a good short story

I remember this story from High school speech in the mid-eighties and remember being shocked by it as I had no idea about abuse. I would love a copy of it if you still have the story. copy me at jazzeegal1@hotmail.com

dafremen Guest
    I also read the story back in 1980. However, without making too many assumptions about the posters here, the story had a much more profound meaning for me than for most. My sister, brother and I lived Robbie Wayne's story, and, but for the grace of God, Great Spirit, Tao or random chance if you prefer..we'd be as dead as he is.

http://consciousevolution.com/LindaG...chools&ct=clnk
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-21-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Extreme Copy and Paste, Rule 7

dafremen Guest
    Last edited by dafremen; 06-18-2012 at 05:12 PM.

KellyB Guest

Never Forget

I'm sitting here reading your story and it brings me to tears. First of all I want to thank you for posting the story. I too have been looking for it for quite some time now. I haven't reread it but will after posting this message. I also believe this story saved and changed my life in so many ways. I read it when I was 12 and at the time had been being severely abused by my step-monster and raped by my step-brother. I prayed to God asking what I had done for him to abandon me. I cried myself to sleep every night. I wanted to die and if I'd had the guts probably would have killed myself. I will not go into detail about my abuse, I am saving it for a book one day but I will say after reading Robbie's story I actually felt better about my situation but sadly a little envious that he was no longer suffering and I still was. I too am 44 years old now and have 5 children 3 of which I gave birth to and 2 I inherited with my second marriage and would never dream of abusing them. I have been away from the abuse for nearly 30 years now but still have nightmares about it today. I also became an avid reader to escape my horrible life which is how I came across this story. I have been telling it ever since and will continue to until I no longer am able. I really do not have to reread it because I remember almost every detail. I want to say that I have been happily married now for 13 years and although it took me until my thirties I have finally taken away most of the power from my abusers. I am a social worker now and will spend the rest of my life helping people and doing whatever I can to protect children from being abused. I have learned that God was always with me and I suffered in order to be able to do what I do today. I have not totally forgiven but I will always try, I am human. If I can give anyone reading this a little advice it is 1. To forgive-How can any of us expect to be forgiven for the wrongs we commit if we can't forgive those who have committed wrongs against us? 2. Don't quote me on this one but I believe it is a sin to rehash wrongs against us. If it's not it should be because all it does is give power to the people who hurt us. Plain and simple STOP TAlKING ABOUT IT to everyone and anyone who will listen. Ever wonder why no one wants to talk to you, itā??s because you are depressing. Trust me I was that person. The less you talk about it, the more you forget about it and the easier it is to forgive. Take your negative energy and use it towards something positive like helping those who are suffering now. There is absolutely no excuse for abuse of any kind. We will all eventually pay for our wrongs and that some how comforts me but also scares me because I know I am far from perfect. I rarely ever see my step-brother but when I do it makes me sick and I see my step-monster on a more regular basis and she acts like nothing ever happened which also makes me sick. I doubt I will ever get an apology but it wouldn't change or take back what she did to me and my siblings. Thank you again for your story and to all those who have the strength to read things like this and do something about it. Never be "The Chapmansā??sā? the couple in the story who were afraid to report something that they weren't sure of. It's better to report it and be wrong than not and have a child die. I told everyone what was happening to me and no one did anything. I pray for every childā??s sake YOU are not that person who looks the other way. IT IS YOUR BUSINESS, DO SOMETHING!!!!

I wasn't even a teenager when I read this article sometime in the early 1980s. However, over 30 years later, I remember it clearly.

I even remembered his name after all those years - Robbie Wayne. Some time ago I figured it would be easy enough to find that article on the internet somewhere, but was surprised to find that it had almost entirely disappeared.

Not only did I want to read the article again, but I wanted to do something to ensure that it wasn't forgotten or erased from history.

I ended up buying a November 1980 copy of Reader's Digest on eBay US, and had it sent to me here in Australia. I have scanned the pages and used optical character recognition software to convert it all into text.

http://www.phil.net.au/robbie_wayne
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-21-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Massive Extreme Copy and Paste consequtive posts

51. 07-21-2015, 12:18 AM
    Reason
    Dupe

52. 07-21-2015, 12:21 AM
    Reason
    Extreme Copy and Post Rule 7

53. 07-21-2015, 06:29 PM
    Reason

54. 07-21-2015, 06:32 PM
    Reason