Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Villisca Axe Murders of 1912

SEL2323 Guest

Villisca Axe Murders of 1912

Eight people had been bludgeoned to death, presumably with an axe left at the crime scene. It appeared all had been asleep at the time of the murders.

Doctors estimated time of death as somewhere shortly after midnight.

Curtains were drawn on all of the windows in the house except two, which did not have curtains. Those windows were covered with clothing belonging to the Moore's.

All of the victims faces were covered with the bedclothes after they were killed.

A kerosene lamp was found at the foot of the bed of Josiah and Sarah. The chimney was off and the wick had been turned back. The chimney was found under the dresser.

A similar lamp was found at the foot of the bed of the Stillinger girls, the chimney was also off.

The axe was found in the room occupied by the Stillinger girls. It was bloody but an attempt had been made to wipe it off. The axe belonged to Josiah Moore.

The ceilings in the parent's bedroom and the children's room showed gouge marks apparently made by the upswing of the axe.

A piece of a keychain was found on the floor in the downstairs bedroom.

A pan of bloody water was discovered on the kitchen table as well as a plate of uneaten food.

The doors were all locked.

The bodies of Lena and Ina Stillinger were found in the downstairs bedroom off the parlor. Ina was sleeping closest to the wall with Lena on her right side. A gray coat covered her face. Lena, according to the inquest testimony of Dr. F.S. Williams, "lay as though she had kicked one foot out of her bed sideways, with one hand up under the pillow on her right side, half sideways, not clear over but just a little. Apparently she had been struck in the head and squirmed down in the bed, perhaps one-third of the way." Lena's nightgown was slid up and she was wearing no undergarments. There was a bloodstain on the inside of her right knee and what the doctors assumed was a defensive wound on her arm.

Dr. Linquist, the coroner, reported a slab of bacon on the floor in the downstairs bedroom lying near the axe. Weighing nearly 2 pounds, it was wrapped in what he though may be a dishtowel. A second slab of bacon about the same size was found in the icebox.

Linquist also made note of one of Sarah's shoes which he found on Josiah's side of the bed. The shoe was found on it's side, however it had blood inside as well as under it. It was Linquist's assumption that the shoe had been upright when Josiah was first struck and that blood ran off the bed into the shoe. He believed the killer later returned to the bed to inflict additional blows and subsequently knocked the shoe over.

shell_belle Guest
    A documentary about the Villisca axe murders came out a few years ago. It's called Villisca: Living with a Mystery I hear it is quite good, though I haven't seen it.

http://www.villiscamovie.com/

Shano Guest
    I just finished the whole site! Really interesting. Has anyone read either of the books? Let me know if they would be worth buying. I feel so bad for the two girls parents... then they had a stillborn baby right after losing their two daughters to a horrible murder! Ugh.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    HOW on earth do you murder 8 people, with an AXE yet, and everyone in the house remains asleep?? I just don't GET that...

banedon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    HOW on earth do you murder 8 people, with an AXE yet, and everyone in the house remains asleep?? I just don't GET that...

Ronald DeFeo Jr. managed to kill all six members of his family, in their beds, with a Marlin rifle. Despite being in different rooms, not a single family member managed to make it out of bed with gunshots ringing through the house. I can only imagine that a series of well-placed axe blows could accomplish the same ends even easier. I didn't read the linked page about the killings, so I'm not sure where the mortal blows were struck. But I suspect a good cleave to the throat, face, or back of the skull would all accomplish a killing quiet enough not to roust a nearby sleeper.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by banedon View Post
    Ronald DeFeo Jr. managed to kill all six members of his family, in their beds, with a Marlin rifle. Despite being in different rooms, not a single family member managed to make it out of bed with gunshots ringing through the house. I can only imagine that a series of well-placed axe blows could accomplish the same ends even easier. I didn't read the linked page about the killings, so I'm not sure where the mortal blows were struck. But I suspect a good cleave to the throat, face, or back of the skull would all accomplish a killing quiet enough not to roust a nearby sleeper.
    I must be made differently then, because a loud wind outside will wake me up, much less 8 people being bludgeoned/axed to death within a few feet of me. The skull-crunching alone would make a fairly distinctive noise, I'm sure. And the DeFeo's, THAT is just bizarre, though there could be mitigating circumstances I suppose, a loud storm outside or whatever.
    I still don't get it.

banedon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I must be made differently then, because a loud wind outside will wake me up, much less 8 people being bludgeoned/axed to death within a few feet of me. The skull-crunching alone would make a fairly distinctive noise, I'm sure. And the DeFeo's, THAT is just bizarre, though there could be mitigating circumstances I suppose, a loud storm outside or whatever.
    I still don't get it.

Agreed. I'm much the same way. My wife, on the other hand, can sleep quite soundly even if I'm watching a John Woo flick on the Denon/PSB 7.1 surround system in the very next room. I can only assume that it is, as you suggested, just a case of some people being 'made differently.'

GravesEnd Guest

Villisca Axe Murder in Iowa 1912

I'm surprised this case hasn't been mentioned on FAD yet. A mass murder took place in the small town of Villisca, Iowa on June 9, 1912. An entire family along with 2 visiting neighbor girls were brutally axed to death. In total 8 were killed, the 2 parents along with the 6 children. It was concluded that the parents were killed first as they slept and then the children. One of the children was said to have been found in a 'sexual position'. It is considered the most notorious crime in Iowa history. A coroner's inquest began soon after but the killer or killers were never found, although a number of suspects were tried not enough evidence was found to convict them. Of course this was before any forensic science, and the crime scene was trampled upon by the many gawkers.

This is a very well documented case and there are many websites as well as a DVD made about this case. A book was written about this incident in 1987 entitled, 'Morning Ran Red'. The house still stands and has been restored. It now serves as a kind of museum where tours are given. Some claim it is actively haunted as well.

http://www.villiscaiowa.com/Morning_Ran_Red.html

YouTube link..shows the murder scene, bloodied bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCXzDVHJS0

Last edited by GravesEnd; 06-24-2008 at 12:28 AM.

GravesEnd Guest
    an excerpt of what witness saw when entering the house and discovering the victims...

Dr. F.S. Williams was the fifth witness called at the inquest. Williams was the second physician to enter the home. Williams testified that Ed Selley stopped him on the street on the morning of June 10th and told him that a doctor was wanted at the Moore home for an examination there. He went on to say that when he arrived at the house, Doctor Cooper and another party was coming out onto the porch.

According to Williams, Cooper and another person he thought was Hank Horton reentered with him. Williams went on to testify that upon entering the home, he smelled no odor of anethestic, nothing seems to be out of place and the faces of the bodies remained cover. When asked to describe the position of the bodies, Williams went on to say that bed in Joe and Sarah's room was facing toward the east with their heads to the west. Joe lay on the south side (or left side) of the bed on his back. His left hand was on his chest. "the faces was all beaten in." Williams testified that Sarah was lying beside Joe.

In the bedroom to the south, "at the left hand, -- east side of the room was a cot, and another bed standing there with a little boy in it, he was sleeping on his stomach, and top of his head was all beaten in, (there) was (a) gause undershirt on top of his head, soaked up with blood and I lifted that off, lifted it off to see which one it was, then in the bed, angling at the foot of the bed, southeast corner of the room was another bed with a little girl, and her head was all beaten in, and on the top of her bed was a little dress and it was all blood spattered, and I think it was partly curled up over her head and covers pulled up over her face, and in the bed to the southwest corner of the room were two little boys lying with both of tops of their heds [heads] beaten in, and blood spattered on every thing, and blood over the pillows."

When he entered the downstairs bedroom, Williams said he saw two girls. "From their appearances one was a big woman and a little girl, and that the girl out to the outside of the bed next to the east side, there were in, -- head facing to the north, she had evidently moved after having been struck, or had been moved, the blood was all scattered over the pillows, apparently she had been struck on the head, squirmed down in the bed, perhaps one-third of the way, and left hand was thrown back, was sticking up below the pillow, and her head was all beaten in, and I took particular attention to an ax wound, and that the edge had come out on the forehead, so I could see the sharpe [sharp] edge Well the top and side of the head, and the little girl, back of her head was all beaten in.

I did not recognize either one of them little girls. Little girl in front of the bed, I thought looked familiar, but she was so mutilated that I wasn't able to identify her at that time, and I think over the girl to the back of the bed was a little boys grey coat, and it had been thrown over her head, and there was clothing, some clothing on the floor, some underwear, and noticed some under the bed and also the dresses hanging up, laying or hanging up on the wall, or the foot of the bed, I forget which, there was no blood on it."

When questioned about the possibility of a sexual assault on any of the victims, Williams responded to the negative. " I looked to see if there was any possible, might have been, attempted intercourse, or rape, or something, but I did not notice any."

I love this story, although the website gives me the heebies.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Seagorath Guest
    Great read! Here's another...I've been to this creepy site...

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8675

Gorey Guest
    Does anyone know that Frank Lloyd Wright had his mistress, her 2 children and a few servants axed to death at his home Taliesin, back in 1914 I think that's the right year??

This is a great story I didn't know about. Thanks!!

tarsier Guest
    I had heard The Morning Ran red is a fictionalized accounting. I loved the dpocumentary on ot which concluded this was possibly the work of an active serial killer. Something about the globes of he lamps revoved as signature.

SEL2323 Guest
    I actually did make a thread about this about ummmmwell, probably almost a year ago. This story just chills me to the bone! Its so horrible and you really dont hear very much about it.

sunshine74137 Guest
    I think it's silly to be shocked that a serial killer existed 100 years ago, I'ts not a new fad.

darlingdawn Guest
    Isn't it true that the face or head being covered is a sign of intimacy, that the killer knew the victims? If so, then whoever killed this family was close to them. Hmmm... I am interested in finding this documentary.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by darlingdawn View Post
    Isn't it true that the face or head being covered is a sign of intimacy, that the killer knew the victims? If so, then whoever killed this family was close to them. Hmmm... I am interested in finding this documentary.
    Good luck it's well worth watching I don't recall the faces being covered a mirror but not the faces.

Seagorath Guest
    Creepiest EVPs I've ever heard...Villisca Axe Murder home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T7Wh-lLRhmg

DeathVixen Guest
    I've wanted to put together a little vacation where you can go and stay in houses like this that have been converted into Bed and Breakfasts. I hear there is a crazy waiting list to stay in the masterbedroom of the Lizzy Borden house.

undertakeress Guest
    So have they ever gotten any solid suspects on who did it? It said there were few that were tried for it, but no convictions

That was very interesting.

KristinEileen Guest
    Great post! Here is a link to a vid from inside the house.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3SB_...eature=related

Vamp Guest
    Very interesting post. I tend to think it was the work of a serial killer.

GravesEnd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    Very interesting post. I tend to think it was the work of a serial killer.
    I think so too. Remember this is 1912 in a very small town. Crimes like this were unheard of and anyone could have unknowingly came into town on a freight train. Homes at that time probably kept their doors unlocked. He probably hid out in a shed behind the house, found the axe and did his handy work after they went to bed. I found this bit of information too:

Henry Moore [unrelated to the Moore family] was actually convicted of the murders of his mother and maternal grandmother in Columbia, Missouri just months after the murders in Villisca. Moore's family members were killed just as brutally as the victims in Villisca and his weapon of choice was an axe.

During the Villisca investigation, other axe murders also came to light. Just 9 months before the crime in Villisca, H.C. Wayne, his wife and child and Mrs. A.J. Burnham and her two children were bludgeoned with an axe in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

A month later, in October of 1911 a family was killed in Monmouth Illinois and just a week later, five members of a family in Ellsworth Kansas were murdered as they slept. Just a week before the killing of the Moore's and Stillinger's in Villisca, a man and his wife were killed in Paola, Kansas. The similarities in the crimes were striking.

GravesEnd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    Great post! Here is a link to a vid from inside the house.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3SB_...eature=related
    I've seen that video before. It is interesting to see what the house looks like from the inside, and how it was preserved all these years.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GravesEnd View Post
    I think so too. Remember this is 1912 in a very small town. Crimes like this were unheard of and anyone could have unknowingly came into town on a freight train. Homes at that time probably kept their doors unlocked. He probably hid out in a shed behind the house, found the axe and did his handy work after they went to bed. I found this bit of information too:

Henry Moore [unrelated to the Moore family] was actually convicted of the murders of his mother and maternal grandmother in Columbia, Missouri just months after the murders in Villisca. Moore's family members were killed just as brutally as the victims in Villisca and his weapon of choice was an axe.

During the Villisca investigation, other axe murders also came to light. Just 9 months before the crime in Villisca, H.C. Wayne, his wife and child and Mrs. A.J. Burnham and her two children were bludgeoned with an axe in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

A month later, in October of 1911 a family was killed in Monmouth Illinois and just a week later, five members of a family in Ellsworth Kansas were murdered as they slept. Just a week before the killing of the Moore's and Stillinger's in Villisca, a man and his wife were killed in Paola, Kansas. The similarities in the crimes were striking.

All very good points. I wonder if there is enough DNA left to determine who the serial killer was.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by undertakeress View Post
    So have they ever gotten any solid suspects on who did it? It said there were few that were tried for it, but no convictions
    I had to rewatch Villisca Living with a Mystery last night the three suspects they detail are
    1) F.F. Jones (with Albert his son) hiring a "Blackie" Mansfield I believe the book favors this theory
    2) the "Little Preacher" George Kelly
    3) Henry Lee Moore (no relation) the seriel killer.

tarsier Guest
    PS - I'm going with the seriel killer whoever did it spent a lot of time in the home and engaged in intricate rituals. We only know Moore the "seriel killer" was convicted of killing his Mother and grandmother was he a copycat? He had in his possession news clipping of Villisca and other ax murders. Opportunity but no motive? Seriel killer.

hoxharding Guest
    They had this on 'World's Scariest Places' or something like that. They had some guy who supposedly owns the house now.
    Scariest Places was not the most credible of sources.

Here it is:
    The link and about how non-credible the episode was:
    http://www.villiscaiowa.com/Scariest..._on_Earth.html
    Last edited by hoxharding; 06-26-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Seagorath Guest
    I think the "serial killer" did it...There were too many similar axe murders during this time period...More EVPs...

http://www.villiscaiowa.com/The_EVPs.html

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Creepiest EVPs I've ever heard...Villisca Axe Murder home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T7Wh-lLRhmg
    I was freaked out that the house had the same poltergeist eye windows!!

Seagorath Guest
    Read the Villisca Axe Murder House GUESTBOOK!...I'm booking my reservations now...

http://pub4.bravenet.com/guestbook/2...816849/first/1

A-train Guest
    I'm surprised this case hasn't been mentioned on FAD yet. A mass murder took place in the small town of Villisca, Iowa on June 9, 1912. An entire family along with 2 visiting neighbor girls were brutally axed to death. In total 8 were killed, the 2 parents along with the 6 children. It was concluded that the parents were killed first as they slept and then the children. One of the children was said to have been found in a 'sexual position'. It is considered the most notorious crime in Iowa history. A coroner's inquest began soon after but the killer or killers were never found, although a number of suspects were tried not enough evidence was found to convict them. Of course this was before any forensic science, and the crime scene was trampled upon by the many gawkers.

This is a very well documented case and there are many websites as well as a DVD made about this case. A book was written about this incident in 1987 entitled, 'Morning Ran Red'. The house still stands and has been restored. It now serves as a kind of museum where tours are given. Some claim it is actively haunted as well.

http://www.villiscaiowa.com/Morning_Ran_Red.html

YouTube link..shows the murder scene, bloodied bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCXzDVHJS0

OMG this story gave me the heebies BAD when I stumbled upon it about 2 years or so ago. The page I found was on a site for paranormal investigations, and my ass was up for 5 hours in the early am glued to my comp. I literally made my pit bull Chavez stay in the room with me I got so freaked out. Lemme see if I can find that site again. It had tons of pics, audio clips, etc. I dunno if anyone buys into the whole paranormal thing, but man, if any a place were to be haunted, i'd say it's this house.
    GravesEnd did you know you can pay to stay in the house overnight? Omg you couldn't pay my ass enough!!

A-train Guest
    Ah-here it is. You may have to find the Villisca Axe Murders on the left side, but if you click on house history it has a really long, interesting article with evp's and some creepy pics.

http://millersparanormalresearch.com/

ya, click on axe murders on the left and scroll down to vilisca.

GravesEnd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    Ah-here it is. You may have to find the Villisca Axe Murders on the left side, but if you click on house history it has a really long, interesting article with evp's and some creepy pics.

http://millersparanormalresearch.com/

ya, click on axe murders on the left and scroll down to vilisca.
    A-Train thanks for that link. I never saw articles and pictures about those other axe murders before. That was interesting. Hell yeah, I would stay overnight in those places. I have stayed ALONE overnight in haunted places before. I'm usually disappointed though when nothing happens.

STORMIE Guest
    I think the "serial killer" did it...There were too many similar axe murders during this time period...More EVPs...

http://www.villiscaiowa.com/The_EVPs.html

Okay that audio was just CREEPY!!!!!

A-train Guest
    A-Train thanks for that link. I never saw articles and pictures about those other axe murders before. That was interesting. Hell yeah, I would stay overnight in those places. I have stayed ALONE overnight in haunted places before. I'm usually disappointed though when nothing happens.

Wow really? I would like to, because I love anything to do with hauntings, but I doubt I'd make it through the whole night lol. Definately not by myself, that's for sure!

Seagorath Guest
    You can actually visit the Villisca Axe Murder House by making an appointment with Darwin Linn. You can take up to 5 people and stay for the minimal fee of $300 (which isn't bad for 5 people). I'm presently organizing a "team" to go spend the night in that house. I'm getting my cameras, sensitive sound recorders, and other devices ready. Should be a fun expedition!

A-train Guest
    OOh Im jealous Seagorath! That would be a blast. When you go you gotta post all your results on here!
    Sea, did you read that article on the link I posted? It's freaky-deaky. There are some really crazy pics they got-one that weirded me out looks like there's a really tall man standing in I believe the kids' room upstairs, and it looks like he's possibly wearing one of those big black butchers' aprons~it's scary. I think on that same page there's an EVP they recorded that says something to the effect of "too much blood". eep! lol

Seagorath Guest
    Yes...I will cetainly post all of my "sensitive data" here. No, I didn't see the pics of the freaky dark entity!...I am searching now...

Yea, those EVPs really creep me out too...I actually couldn't sleep last night because I thought I had "conjured up the spirits" of the Moore children by thinking about them too much. I kept thinking one of their spirits was gonna surprise me by the bed...so I slept behind a pillow. I then had a horrific dream that one of the kid's spirits visited me...and the child STILL HAD THE AXE WOUNDS!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    OOh Im jealous Seagorath! That would be a blast. When you go you gotta post all your results on here!
    Sea, did you read that article on the link I posted? It's freaky-deaky. There are some really crazy pics they got-one that weirded me out looks like there's a really tall man standing in I believe the kids' room upstairs, and it looks like he's possibly wearing one of those big black butchers' aprons~it's scary. I think on that same page there's an EVP they recorded that says something to the effect of "too much blood". eep! lol

Seagorath Guest
    Wow! Thanks for the pics A-Train...without a doubt the best ones I've seen so far...and to think that the "murderer's spirit" is in there! This is probably "hell" for him, and I'm sure that was his fate when he died...to spend eternity in that house with the ghosts of that family...Is that what people are witnessing?

A-train Guest
    I wanna say that those pics just came up after they snapped some photos upstairs during a lot of "activity". I believe below the pics it says that they believe that they took pictures of a residual haunting taking place~and that those pics are what the house actually looked like on the night of the murders. Sort of like an old movie clip playing over and over...Ya it's totally freaky they think the killer is still in that house. But like you said, that could be "hell" for him.

LOL and I had crazy ass dreams too! Not about the family but I had a dream I was in a house with these manson-like people who stabbed the entire family that lived there-it was weird! I never do that either, but this case just freaks me out. My bf thinks Im a total cook for buying into the haunting thing but I do buy it, lol.

A-train Guest
    I don't think anyone has actually seen the killer, I wanna say just evp and pics, but I could be wrong. I also wanna say in that article he tells one of the psychics his name, but Im gonna have to re-read that whole thing it's been so long. Did you see the trailer for the dvd? I so have to buy that.

Seagorath Guest
    That "Love Lies Bleeding" plant that popped up during the restoration really freaks me out too...This place is so saturated with "creepiness" that I MUST VISIT!

A-train Guest
    ew ya that is really really weird!

WendyK Guest

Vallisca Iowa Axe Murders 1912

I just got done watching a show about these murder's it was a family of six JB Moore, his wife, four children and two over night guest that were all butched on the night of June 10th 1912. They had been to a church service and returned home and the next morning JB's brother found them all axed to death. The house now is rumored to be one of the most haunted homes in America.

http://www.villiscaiowa.com/

Does anyone on this forum know anymore about this case? It has never been solved.

I did two searches on this topic and nothing came up.. sorry if it is duplicated.

Seagorath Guest
    Cool...We've got a thread for this already...

WendyK Guest
    Cool...We've got a thread for this already...

WEll...WEll...So much for Goggle Searches, and FAD Search... I will have to dig more!

endsleigh03 Guest
    I watched this show too Wendy.

Where is the other thread.........

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    I watched this show too Wendy.

Where is the other thread.........
    I don't know I searched it again and my thread came up and so did an EVP thread...

That show was pretty cool, wasn't it? The Waverly Hills Hospital my hubs and his brother broke into back in 98 before it was bought and said it is AWSOME!

I am going to do some more research on the Vallisca murders tommorow, it is about my bedtime. YAWN