Thread: Pregnant Carol Stuart shot by her husband

lisalouver Guest

Pregnant Carol Stuart shot by her husband

Reading about Laci Peterson and Cherica Adams reminded me of this story. Some of you younguns might not remember this one, but I do. I was in the military on the East Coast when this happened. It got a lot of press. It happened in Boston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Stuart_(murderer)

I did not read the Wiki page, but I remember he shot his pregnant wife in the head and then shot himself (non-lifethreatening) and called police and said they had been carjacked or robbed or something similar by a black man.

Carol died, Charles lived and the baby was delivered, but later died. The case started to unravel with Charles brother telling the police that Charles actually did it.

Charles then leaped to his death from a bridge.

I was just reading some more and read the Wiki page and it states Carols family set up a scholarship in her name and one of the recipants of it was Imette St Guillan, the murdered woman from NYC by the bouncer.
    Last edited by lisalouver; 01-17-2008 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add something

GODDESS6 Guest
    the lifetime movie of this is great~ they always refer to this case & the susan smith case as the mysteroius black man cases~

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    the lifetime movie of this is great~ they always refer to this case & the susan smith case as the mysteroius black man cases~
    Yes. I had no idea that there actually was a "suspect" in this case. That poor guy.

I think I saw the movie, but would like to check it out again.

I remember that. And Ken Olin played Stuart in the movie.

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    theres also another case were a man by the name of jeffrey macdonald surposedly killed his pregnant wife and 2 young daughters he then according to the general belief of what happened beat the crap out of himself tried to give cpr to his wife and daughters then called 911. his story is that he slept on the couch awoke to his wife screaming only to find 3 men standing over him and an odd woman standing nearby the men stabbed and beat him until he was unconcious. when he came too he went to cheak on his wife and found her topless on the floor he tried cpr on her and his daughter then he called 911 and went back to his wifes room covered her with his shirt and passed out next to her. the authorities did alot of cover ups and botched the whole thing and eventually convicted the the husband when there was alot of evidence to the contrary including confession from one of the men and the woman macdonald surposedly saw.

i found the case interesting and infuriating so i thought id share

heres a site about it if anyone is interested http://www.karisable.com/macdonald.htm

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsxofxlove View Post
    theres also another case were a man by the name of jeffrey macdonald surposedly killed his pregnant wife and 2 young daughters he then according to the general belief of what happened beat the crap out of himself tried to give cpr to his wife and daughters then called 911. his story is that he slept on the couch awoke to his wife screaming only to find 3 men standing over him and an odd woman standing nearby the men stabbed and beat him until he was unconcious. when he came too he went to cheak on his wife and found her topless on the floor he tried cpr on her and his daughter then he called 911 and went back to his wifes room covered her with his shirt and passed out next to her. the authorities did alot of cover ups and botched the whole thing and eventually convicted the the husband when there was alot of evidence to the contrary including confession from one of the men and the woman macdonald surposedly saw.

heres a site about it if anyone is interested http://www.karisable.com/macdonald.htm
    Jeff MCDonald was guilty. I never heard of a confession from anyone else. You would have to have actual real suspects to have a confession and I don't think any came forward.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Reading about Laci Peterson and Cherica Adams reminded me of this story. Some of you younguns might not remember this one, but I do. I was in the military on the East Coast when this happened. It got a lot of press. It happened in Boston.

I did not read the Wiki page, but I remember he shot his pregnant wife in the head and then shot himself (non-lifethreatening) and called police and said they had been carjacked or robbed or something similar by a black man.

Carol died, Charles lived and the baby was delivered, but later died. The case started to unravel with Charles brother telling the police that Charles actually did it.

I was just reading some more and read the Wiki page and it states Carols family set up a scholarship in her name and one of the recipants of it was Imette St Guillan, the murdered woman from NYC by the bouncer.
    She looked exactly like Kari Wuhrer. Why do these men get their wives pregnant??

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    She looked exactly like Kari Wuhrer. Why do these men get their wives pregnant??
    I have no idea Ramona. No idea.

Jeff MCDonald was guilty. I never heard of a confession from anyone else. You would have to have actual real suspects to have a confession and I don't think any came forward.
    yeah a women came forward by the name of helena stoeckley she was known to the police and fit the description that macdonald gave to police but her confession was never heard in court. there was also other evidence that surpported what she said happened.

please by no means consider me an expert on this case i only found out about it yesterday while researching another case and i have only read the one site i listed which to me does seem kinda one sided but i thought for other people who knew about the case it would be interesting to read a different side

hotmama Guest

i read about it in the newspaper when it first happened. it was also profiled on rescue 911 with william shatner. there was a movie. he had his brother hold some of his wife's belongings so he could tell the police hey were taken by a robber who just so happened to be black. he also tried to make it more believable by driving to a neighborhood in which he thought only blacks lived. "oh yeah he was real smart"

lisalouver Guest
    yeah a women came forward by the name of helena stoeckley she was known to the police and fit the description that macdonald gave to police but her confession was never heard in court. there was also other evidence that surpported what she said happened.

please by no means consider me an expert on this case i only found out about it yesterday while researching another case and i have only read the one site i listed which to me does seem kinda one sided but i thought for other people who knew about the case it would be interesting to read a different side
    I never heard that. Was her confession not heard because the police thought she was lying?

I never heard that. Was her confession not heard because the police thought she was lying?
    apparently there was alot of police cover up but they didnt use her confession cos she was a drug addict but they had used her as and informant before

A more pertinent question would be, what attracts supposedly bright women to these men in the first place, and why do they let themselves get pregnant by them? Are the men that good at hiding their tracks, or only up to a point? (Not that there aren't devious wives out there, they just appear to be outnumbered by the husbands.)

And why doesn't the insurance industry (I repeat, insurance is the root of all evil) disclose to people in a big, honking way, that their spouse / parent / child has taken out a humongous policy out on them? If I knew my son had just taken a large policy on me, I'd know my goose was almost cooked and ready for cranberry sauce. Likewise, if I took out a big policy on my healthy young adult son, he should get wise to the fact that his coffee might start tasting funny or his brakes being cut.

Sometimes you just have to protect yourself, you know?

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    A more pertinent question would be, what attracts supposedly bright women to these men in the first place, and why do they let themselves get pregnant by them? Are the men that good at hiding their tracks, or only up to a point? (Not that there aren't devious wives out there, they just appear to be outnumbered by the husbands.)

And why doesn't the insurance industry (I repeat, insurance is the root of all evil) disclose to people in a big, honking way, that their spouse / parent / child has taken out a humongous policy out on them? If I knew my son had just taken a large policy on me, I'd know my goose was almost cooked and ready for cranberry sauce. Likewise, if I took out a big policy on my healthy young adult son, he should get wise to the fact that his coffee might start tasting funny or his brakes being cut.

Just had to say I concur that insurance is the root of all evil and our government MAKES you buy it.........things that make you go hummmm.

Ghoulie Girl Guest

I live very close by in Rhode Island. I remember this story very well.

The husband reported from his cell phone he and his pregnant were mugged/carjacked and had been shot, Boston Police went on a manhunt for the supposed "black" assailant. This caused alot of racial tensions between the PD and the local black communities. Tensions really escalated when it was discovered that the husband was the criminal all along.

Sodapop Guest
    I read "Murder in Boston" which is about the Stuart case. Very good book.
    I'm a true crime fan and this is one of the most fascinating cases I've ever read about.

edited to add: I didn't know that Marky Mark's song "Wildside" referenced the Stuart case.

Charles had everything going for him
    A top paying job, a good life, a good wife
    A baby boy on the way any day
    A gentleman attitude is all he displayed
    Carol was the wife he loved and adored
    Her family and freinds treated him like an Ambassador
    One night on the other side of town
    A police dispatcher picked up a weird sound
    Charles on the car phone asking for help
    Claiming a burglar shot his wife and himself
    His pregnant wife lay slumped over
    Dreams corrupted and a young life over
    Extensive searches throughout the projects
    Put a lot of people through misery and wreck
    Everyone a suspect til someone was found
    Interrigated cause their skin was brown
    Then there was Bennett, guilty until proven so

But soon as the case started moving slow
    What do you know, sure as as sea gull gets webbed toed
    Charles was the culprit
    The whole plot was an insurance scam
    Charles and his brother came up with a plan
    Kill Carol, collect a big check
    Blame it on a black man, what the heck?
    And just before the story was known
    Charles had a feeling that his cover was blown
    So he jumped offa bridge
    Committed suicide
    This is how it is - on the Wildside
    Last edited by Sodapop; 01-21-2008 at 12:32 PM.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodapop View Post
    I read "Murder in Boston" which is about the Stuart case. Very good book.
    I'm a true crime fan and this is one of the most fascinating cases I've ever read about.

edited to add: I didn't know that Marky Mark's song "Wildside" referenced the Stuart case.

Charles had everything going for him
    A top paying job, a good life, a good wife
    A baby boy on the way any day
    A gentleman attitude is all he displayed
    Carol was the wife he loved and adored
    Her family and freinds treated him like an Ambassador
    One night on the other side of town
    A police dispatcher picked up a weird sound
    Charles on the car phone asking for help
    Claiming a burglar shot his wife and himself
    His pregnant wife lay slumped over
    Dreams corrupted and a young life over
    Extensive searches throughout the projects
    Put a lot of people through misery and wreck
    Everyone a suspect til someone was found
    Interrigated cause their skin was brown
    Then there was Bennett, guilty until proven so

But soon as the case started moving slow
    What do you know, sure as as sea gull gets webbed toed
    Charles was the culprit
    The whole plot was an insurance scam
    Charles and his brother came up with a plan
    Kill Carol, collect a big check
    Blame it on a black man, what the heck?
    And just before the story was known
    Charles had a feeling that his cover was blown
    So he jumped offa bridge
    Committed suicide
    This is how it is - on the Wildside
    Sodapop how cool! I had no idea about this song and I love Mark!!! Thanks for posting this!

I worked for the same company as Carol

My first job out of college was as a receptionist in a big accounting firm where Carol Stuart worked. I didn't know her personally, but those were the days before voicemail, and none of the "junior" staff had direct lines, so I answered most of the calls. Charles (Chuck) called her at least twice a day, every day, and as I recall he even sent her roses a few times.

About a year after I left the company (she left before me, I think) I saw it on the news.

After it was all over, I saw an interview with Carol's brother. The reporter asked him whether on hindsight he could remember any signs of trouble, and he said absolutely not. He was incredulous. One thing he did say though is that Chuck was the one person his dog didn't like and the dog would always bark at him. I guess animals really do have a sixth sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNotherOne View Post
    My first job out of college was as a receptionist in a big accounting firm where Carol Stuart worked. I didn't know her personally, but those were the days before voicemail, and none of the "junior" staff had direct lines, so I answered most of the calls. Charles (Chuck) called her at least twice a day, every day, and as I recall he even sent her roses a few times.

About a year after I left the company (she left before me, I think) I saw it on the news.

After it was all over, I saw an interview with Carol's brother. The reporter asked him whether on hindsight he could remember any signs of trouble, and he said absolutely not. He was incredulous. One thing he did say though is that Chuck was the one person his dog didn't like and the dog would always bark at him. I guess animals really do have a sixth sense.
    Wow, great story, NotherOne! I was kind of back in the area (grew up in central Mass.) by then and what a wild unfolding in the media, from the murder to his suicide and the aftermath. That poor woman and child.

It sounded like nobody saw it coming, by your observations. I don't remember the interview with her brother. Interesting about the dog! Wow!

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulie Girl View Post
    I live very close by in Rhode Island. I remember this story very well.

The husband reported from his cell phone he and his pregnant were mugged/carjacked and had been shot, Boston Police went on a manhunt for the supposed "black" assailant. This caused alot of racial tensions between the PD and the local black communities. Tensions really escalated when it was discovered that the husband was the criminal all along.
    They were on their way home from a Lamaze class! Sick bastard. I think he was having an affair. Same old same old.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    What for the life of me I do not understand is why do this bastards murder their wives? Haven't they ever heard of divorce? They sicken me to the very core of my soul. Charles Stuart killed himself hmm well I think that ass should have killed himself before taking the life of his wife and son. POS in my opinion!!! I hope he is burning in the fires of hell saving a seat for Scott Peterson, Mark Hacking, & Drew Peterson.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post
    What for the life of me I do not understand is why do this bastards murder their wives? Haven't they ever heard of divorce? They sicken me to the very core of my soul. Charles Stuart killed himself hmm well I think that ass should have killed himself before taking the life of his wife and son. POS in my opinion!!! I hope he is burning in the fires of hell saving a seat for Scott Peterson, Mark Hacking, & Drew Peterson.
    He killed himself because he was going to get caught and he was a fucking coward.

stacebabe Guest
    I'm from Boston, and this case started a firestorm of race issues. What an asshole Stuart was. He got off way to easy jumping to his death.

Supposedly he wanted the life insurance money to open a restaurant. Reminds me of my ex-boyfriend. No job, deeply in debt, I'm paying most of the mortgage and all of the utilities, then gets the bright idea that he wants to buy a restaurant....and subsequently LEAVES me because I "wouldn't support his dream"! At least he never tried to kill me. But then, I had to good sense not to make him my beneficiary.

lab_rat Guest
    This is from that Wiki article.

"Police later learned that Stuart had been interested in (but not actually involved with) an intern at the fur salon and was also having financial difficulties. An article in The Boston Globe alleged that a $480,000 check was issued to Charles Stuart in payment for a life insurance policy on his wife, but this was later found to be false, as no such check was ever found."

NOVSTORM Guest
    Charles had his brother come and get the jewelry she was wearing, then he shot himself. His brother killed himself because he couldn't live with the fact he had a part in her murder. After the borhter killed himself and the shit was closing in on him he jumped off the bridge. He did not want the baby and the marriage was not going well
    because he did not want her to have this baby and he was cheating and she knew it.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Charles had his brother come and get the jewelry she was wearing, then he shot himself. His brother killed himself because he couldn't live with the fact he had a part in her murder. After the borhter killed himself and the shit was closing in on him he jumped off the bridge. He did not want the baby and the marriage was not going well
    because he did not want her to have this baby and he was cheating and she knew it.
    I heard the cheating rumour, but was it ever substaniated? If so, I wonder what happened to the other woman?

Must suck to be her.

stacebabe Guest
    I have no idea, but I have to admit, I always felt bad for and admired Amber Frey in the Peterson case for setting up the calls, doing the press conference she did. It couldn't have been easy for her, and all she knew about him was what he told her.

I heard the cheating rumour, but was it ever substaniated? If so, I wonder what happened to the other woman?

Must suck to be her.

I remember that, I think my parents had an issue of Life magazine w/ photos from the crime scene in it.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Actually, the brother didn't kill himself. In fact, if I recall correctly, he was arrested for cocaine possession or some such a few years after the murder.

As far as the cheating goes, the only thing that is substantiated is that he had his eye on that intern. According to her, she didn't reciprocate and nothing ever happened.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNotherOne View Post
    Actually, the brother didn't kill himself. In fact, if I recall correctly, he was arrested for cocaine possession or some such a few years after the murder.

As far as the cheating goes, the only thing that is substantiated is that he had his eye on that intern. According to her, she didn't reciprocate and nothing ever happened.

No the brother definately did NOT kill himself.

A lot of people here in NC think Jeffrey McDonald is quilty. One of the kids told the bus driver that she wished he was her dad instead Jeffrey. His wife's parents originally backed him, but they found out he had a girlfriend. He was a dr and would know exactly how to injure himself w/out killing himself. There was something about his shirt matching her stab wounds like she held it in front of her; it didn't match up w/ what he said. The woman that came forward was dying and wasn't credible if I remember correctly, so she had nothing to lose.

Guest Guest
    there was also someone who lived on base who said they had seen a woman that night meeting her description...long blond hair (wig) and a floppy hat and the prosecution tried to hide this person's statement...also a group 3 or 4 nights previous to this were thrown off the base by MP's 3 men, one of which meeting JMcD's statement as well as the woman...minus wig but the same floppy hat...I personally have read up on it quite a bit and I do not think this man is guilty...unfortunately I believe most of those suspected are dead if not all of them...however there was TONS of evidence that the prosecution did not make privy to the defense and a lot of that has since come out...it basically was a really botched up investigation and I think people just don't want to own up to it and admit they made a mistake...if that man is guilty then he did a good job planting fiber and fingerprint evidence in his own home.

I hope that someday his case will be re heard...if it is I think he will be freed

Fatal Vision

lisalouver Guest
    I think Jeff McDonald is as guilty as they come, but that is JMO.
    I hope that someday his case will be re heard...if it is I think he will be freed[/quote]
    Last edited by lisalouver; 07-01-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: fixed quote

The thing that has always irked me about the criminal justice system is that neither side seems to be interested in the whole truth...they just want their side to "win."

I think it must have been pretty common knowledge around the base that some strung-out hippy types were hanging around, and McDonald simply made use of this fact... Perhaps even inviting in Helena Stoekeley (who was indeed seen in the vicinity that night) and a couple of the others and paying them off with whatever dope he had in the house, just to have some "Manson-esque" evidence to plant. Which, of course, makes the crime even more heinous, if he hoped to set up people who had not committed the murders.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post

Please tell me you're not serious. Insurance is the root of all evil? Good Lord....

Who do you think pays for the millions upon millions of dollars in damages from natural disasters, 9-11, etc? Hello? That mean insurance company that makes you pay premiums so when you crash into a busload of kindergartners they can pay out the limits of your policy?

Blame the life insurance company for some sick fuck who takes out a million dollar policy on his wife so he can murder her for money? That makes alot of sense.
    Last edited by pvezz; 07-01-2008 at 07:13 PM.

STsFirstmate Guest

A Little Inside Skinny

Must suck to be her.
    I was living in the Boston area then and worked with the wife of a State Police detective. After Charles jumped off the bridge she told us some of the details.
    1.) His nonlife threatening credible bullit wound he put in his side perforated his intestine and he really did almost die. ( wouldn't that have been irony)
    2.) The baby was delivered by cesarean in the ER and lived for a few days. They actually let him hold his son to get "closure" and "say goodbye".
    3.) He gave his brother his wife's purse containing his wallet and watch, her wedding and enagagement ring and the gun. His brother threw it in Dorchester bay. Police diver's searched fruitlessly for it for days after the brother told them the location. Finally one smart cop came up with the idea of getting the exact same purse, putting roughly eqivalent weight of items in it and had the guy toss it as close as he could to how he did it that night and they found the real one within an hour.
    4.) The police went on a tear kicking down doors and rousting people in black neighborhoods until they settled on one of the usual suspects sort of guys.
    5.) All of Charles brothers, sisters and inlaws knew pretty quickly what really happened ( the brother spilled his guts) to all but his parents. It was after the arrest of the black guy that looked like it would stick that the wife of the brother who was a fire fighter made him come forward with the younger brother who helped Charles.
    6.) Charles was not having a physical affair but had taken the intern to Rhode Island on a day trip to visit Brown University his Alama Mater (Not, they all seem to lie about their past and credentials).
    7.) This guy was loved by his local cop pals. So much so that his local Police Chief tipped him off that the Staties were preparing a warrant for his arrest so he could "tie up loose ends and get ready". He then made a run for it and stayed at the Sheraton Tara on the Pike and wrote his suicide note on their stationary.
    8.) By then the State Cops were so pissed at his local police and so concerned that various well placed people wanted to help him that even after finding the car on the bridge and the note they locked down the bridges, airport, bus stations and put state cops with his local police until the body was recovered.
    I think we were so facinated because the TV show Cops was a in its first season and they were filming the night it happened in Boston. They captured the inspired way they located Charles when he realy did lose too much blood to be able to tell them where he was. He had a connection on his cell open to 911 and the dispatcher had all the cops sound their sirens in short blasts and kept moving them around until he triangulated their position and found him.
    They also filmed in the hospital ER and because at that point people belived it was a gang robbery and murder of a sweet white couple coming home from birthing classes it was hugely sympathetic. Somehow we never bought it though.
    Oh and by the way this was Charles 2nd attempt on her life. He had his goofy brother hide in the house when she was returning home alone. He was supposed to kill her and make it look like a burglury gone wrong. He froze and couldn't do it. He just scared the crap out of her in the dark and ran away.
    I always thought of this as the first of the modern male divorce by murder club guys! The along came Scott, Sean and Scott among others.
    Sorry this ended up being so long!
    regards,
    Mary

tarsier Guest
    Would the mysterious black msn be the same as the Sheppard "bushy-haired intruder"?

King Tut Guest
    I have a close friend who is retired from the Boston PD. He worked on the case. He says it's common knowledge among insiders that Stuart was "helped" off the bridge by those on the wife's side who had "connections". He's adamant about it. They didn't pursue the "he was killed" angle because they though the shit got what he deserved. He also says Stuart DID NOT leave a suicide note. Wikipedia also says he didn't leave one:

Elizabeth Guest

Question

Wasn't there another case of a guy who shot his newly pregnant wife after she found out he had lied to her about a job somewhere else (they were in the process of moving for a job he didn't really have) and he dumped her body in a dumpster, and they spent weeks trying to find her body in the landfill?? I recall the situation, but not the names or where they lived....

I read somewhere that abusive men seem to really get triggered by pregnancy--especially if they feel they were trapped in to it, or have another relationship going on.....and, bonus for them, women are less likely to leave during pregnancy for any reason, and feel more vulnerable physically and can't move as fast.....sick bastards....

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Wasn't there another case of a guy who shot his newly pregnant wife after she found out he had lied to her about a job somewhere else (they were in the process of moving for a job he didn't really have) and he dumped her body in a dumpster, and they spent weeks trying to find her body in the landfill?? I recall the situation, but not the names or where they lived....

I read somewhere that abusive men seem to really get triggered by pregnancy--especially if they feel they were trapped in to it, or have another relationship going on.....and, bonus for them, women are less likely to leave during pregnancy for any reason, and feel more vulnerable physically and can't move as fast.....sick bastards....
    Yes, the woman in Utah. I can't think of her name right now.

RubySlippers Guest
    lori hacking --- here's a link...he lied about going to school. moron.
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/08/02/missing.woman/

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
    I have a close friend who is retired from the Boston PD. He worked on the case. He says it's common knowledge among insiders that Stuart was "helped" off the bridge by those on the wife's side who had "connections". He's adamant about it. They didn't pursue the "he was killed" angle because they though the shit got what he deserved. He also says Stuart DID NOT leave a suicide note. Wikipedia also says he didn't leave one:

That would make a lot of sense. He didn't seem like the type with the guts to jump. Boston is not the place to cross someone connected either Irish or Italian.
    Mary

GrinReaper Guest
    Was thinking of this one because of another thread.