View Poll Results: What do you think about Bing Crosby?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • He was a saint.

1 1.69%
  • He was a monster.

13 22.03%
  • He was human, capable of making mistakes.

17 28.81%
  • He was a wonderful entertainer.

17 28.81%
  • He could not sing a note.

1 1.69%
  • I do not have an opinion about him.

15 25.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bing Crosby (Der Bingle in da Box)

onehunglow Guest

Bing Crosby (Der Bingle in da Box)

I love seeing these old mean bastards meet the end. When I feel blue I look at Der Bingle in the box and right away I feel better.
    Last edited by onehunglow; 10-14-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Ruffian Guest
    For being such a staunch Catholic, I'm surprised he doesn't have his hands folded with a rosary like they usually do.

firegilnotguns Guest
    It always cracks me up to read "der bingle in the box."

Definitely in the TOP TEN list
    for having been one of the
    Hollywood's biggest
    son of a bitch for all time

Guest Guest
    Outside of the smear job written by his drug-addicted criminal piss-broke failure son, what other evidence is there Bing was so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    Outside of the smear job written by his drug-addicted criminal piss-broke failure son, what other evidence is there Bing was so bad?
    Well, let's see;

• Two of his sons from his first marriage committed suicide.
    • While his first wife was dying, word of his sexual indiscretions
    • reached Dixie (the Mrs.). When confronted about his peccadillos, der Bingle alleged drunk at the time, supposedly told her, "I have needs...."
    • Rather than tell his (one) girlfriend INGER STEVENS that he was going to marry another, he sent INGER to his home in Palm Springs with his assistant under the ruse that he wanted her to redecorate it to her liking; On the second night there while eating dinner in front of the tv, INGER learned of BING'S marriage to KATHRYN. INGER attempted suicide not long after.
    • Many who worked with BING in Hollywood said he was a cruel cold fish. EX: JOAN COLLINS who was in the last of the CROSBY-HOPE "Road To" pictures said that once the cameras stopped rolling that BING CROSBY was "an ice cube". She described how "BOB HOPE was the same man on and off the set", but that "BING CROSBY turned to stone" and how he was very rude and indifferent to the cast and crew.
    Now, I'm not saying that the above is an absolute, but it gives a sampling of what he was like............

Guest Guest
    Point made.

But I'm still gonna watch Holiday Inn.

Snoopy Guest
    I've heard many nasty things about the man..who knows if it's all true I do believe that some parts may be and some parts are exaggerated.

somewhere it is said fred turned down the role danny got because he did'nt feel like fooling with crosby.

and,tellingly,in kelts post above,joan collins "implys" bob hope was nicer than bing.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 10-17-2007 at 09:55 AM.

RigorMortis Guest
    Funny, I was of the belief that Bing was Jewish. He HATED singing White Christmas because he was a jew. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...I have to look into this. I emailed Scott about it a year or so ago but heard nada from the selfish b.......HA! Just kiddin'. I love you Scott. I'd stalk you if I had time.

I did a quick search. Irving Berlin was Jewish (he wrote the song). Wonder where the hell I got that asshole was a Jew? Hmmmmm...
    Last edited by RigorMortis; 12-16-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Where's the picture?
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Link to the box o blingle pic pls?

Link me baby, one more time.

RigorMortis Guest
    Go to findadeath and find Bing. Scott has a pic there.

onehunglow Guest
    On the FAD main site. Look up Crosby and there is der bingle.

leevancleef Guest
    These are Lindsay and Dennis, Bing's sons who committed suicide. They shot themselves. i feel terribly sorry for them.

NOVSTORM Guest
    All 3 of his kids from his first wife are screwed up . He beat those kids and actually acted like he hated them. His first wife they say was a drunk because of her horrible marriage. When he learned that his wife dying he took a ship back to the states instead of a plane. He was either making a movie in Europe or playing golf not sure.
    When he married the 2nd wife he played the good guy or so that family claim and he never had anything to do with this boys. He left the 2nd wife everything and THEIR kids while giving his other kids some paultry trust that they would receive when were in their 50's? or 60's? I duuno how I would feel if I had 3 kids and had 2 of them commit suicide because of the way I treated them. Is the last brother still alive?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    All 3 of his kids from his first wife are screwed up . He beat those kids and actually acted like he hated them. His first wife they say was a drunk because of her horrible marriage. When he learned that his wife dying he took a ship back to the states instead of a plane. He was either making a movie in Europe or playing golf not sure.
    When he married the 2nd wife he played the good guy or so that family claim and he never had anything to do with this boys. He left the 2nd wife everything and THEIR kids while giving his other kids some paultry trust that they would receive when were in their 50's? or 60's? I duuno how I would feel if I had 3 kids and had 2 of them commit suicide because of the way I treated them. Is the last brother still alive?
    I think they had to be 65 to collect! I mean what an ASS!

Like it mattered to him!

I can't stand looking at the cover of I think its White Christmas with him on it!!

Wanna piss some Bing Crosby fans off? Sign up and be heard! LOL
    http://community.mcckc.edu/crosby/bo...12&whichpage=6

RigorMortis Guest
    You have GOT to be kidding me. Someone has a Bing board? WTF is wrong with that picture. They must be deluded by the Donna Reed looking lifestyle that was the facade of that era. Crosby was a waste of human flesh. His only redeeming quality was his voice but hell I could give him up for Dean in a second flat.

Jack Raines Guest
    I never liked Bing's Christmas album.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    I don't care what you say, or however much of a cunt he was. I still love the song ''White Christmas''. As for the guy himself, I really couldn't care less for him.

I am the same way SMK, if I like the music I listen to it. Most times I can't rummage up the give-a-shit to worry about THEIR personnel life. My own rodeo keeps me too busy.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Mary Crosby was hot as Kristen Shepherd in Dallas.

Guest Guest
    my grandmother was Bing's piano player when he lived in Tacoma Washington...his version of Red Sails in the Sunset was played at hers and my fathers funerals...according to my father (grandma died before I was born) he said Bing was a nice man...but that was coming from a child's perspective...I mean if he's visiting etc he could be putting on airs etc

I do however love the Bing and Bowie version of the Little Drummer Boy my all time favorite Christmas song...I wonder if he was as bad as they say that if he could come back and do it all again would he not be such a bastard? He did have a heck of a voice though I will give him that!

goherd Guest
    Lindsay Crosby was 51 years old when he killed himself in 1989, 12 years after Bing's death. Dennis Crosby killed himself 14 years after Bing's death at the age of 57, in 1991. Bing really must have been mean to cause these guys to kill themselves that long after he died. Don't you think by the time you turn 50 you are responsible for yourself? Nobody killed these guys but themselves.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by goherd View Post
    Lindsay Crosby was 51 years old when he killed himself in 1989, 12 years after Bing's death. Dennis Crosby killed himself 14 years after Bing's death at the age of 57, in 1991. Bing really must have been mean to cause these guys to kill themselves that long after he died. Don't you think by the time you turn 50 you are responsible for yourself? Nobody killed these guys but themselves.
    I know, it's all bullshit. He clothed them, fed them, and I presume educated them. Yes, maybe that's not enough from Bing, but it's a lot more than a lot of parents can do. At some point, you have to take responsibility for your own life and happiness and let go whatever crap may have happened as a youth, abuse, rape, whatever. It's in the past, who cares whose fault it is now, move on because you can't change what went down before. Be glad for whatever they did get from Bing and move on. Bing earned all that money himself, he can leave it to whomever he likes on whatever terms he likes.

Doug81506 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by goherd View Post
    I agree. My father was a functional alcoholic and the stories I could tell... My sister and I grew up and moved on. My brother uses Dad's alcoholism as a ready excuse for everything that goes wrong in his life. I stress the fact that my father was a FUNCTIONAL alcoholic so we were never financially deprived. My brother's real problem is that he is a spoiled fuck-up looking for a scapegoat.
    Last edited by Doug81506; 12-17-2007 at 10:52 PM.

knothere Guest
    after we become adults suppossidly at the age of 21
    we b responsable for ourselves any one who thinks not should grow up

Quote Originally Posted by Doug81506 View Post
    I agree. My father was a functional alcoholic and the stories I could tell... My sister and I grew up and moved on. My brother uses Dad's alcoholism as a ready excuse for everything that goes wrong in his life. I stress the fact that my father was a FUNCTIONAL alcoholic so we were never financially deprived. My brother's real problem is that he is a spoiled fuck-up looking for a scapegoat.
    Many people come from backgrounds that are dysfunctional on a scale ranging from 1 to 10. Thing is, at some point everyone has to realize that they are responsible for themselves as an adult. Only you can make the changes needed to live a full happy life. Dead people, and dysfunctional people can't do much for you. I've know a few folks over the years who blame their drunken father etcetera for their problems. If someone hasn't gotten their shit together by 30, 35, then I tend to not want to be too close to that person.

seamuskaxen Guest
    I don´t think his sons killed themselves just because of their father. They were probably suffering from depressions.

I had a teacher in school (high school) who claimed to have been Kathryn's sister. Her name was Frances, and she didn't put up with any shit from any of us.

If any of us had a sob story for her about why we didn't have our schoolwork done, she'd hold up this big flat rock, painted red, to her chest, that said in white letters on it, "My heart bleeds for you".

I'm not sure if her story about her relation was true. But she did have red hair and did kind of look like Kathryn. She never made a big deal about it.

sassie Guest
    I met der Bingle (among others) when I waited tables at the Cal Neva Lodge up at Lake Tahoe in the 70's. (that was after Sinatra...ahem...left the establishment.)

Bing was a first class asshole. He came up a lot, either to perform at the club or to play at one of the golf tournaments-and he really liked that 99 cent ham and egg breakfast (probably the most disgusting restaurant meal on the planet, but, hey, it's only 99 cents). If you were on the wait staff, you weren't allowed to speak to him, even if he was at your station. We just had to stand there while he snapped his order at us. We DID get to say "Thank you, Mr. Crosby (you short skinflint)", and if we didn't, he'd bitch to the maitre'd. And, for the female staff, he'd give us the ol' fisheye onceover-which would make us want to take about 30 showers in a row.

I don't know if his son told the truth about him in that book, or if being his kid contributed to the depressions of the ones who committed suicide-but I lean towards that. Maybe he was just mellower towards the second set of kids, but, from what I saw of him, he could be, and often was, a dick.

Milton Berle was the other one who we hated to wait on - the wait staff would draw straws to see who got him - but that's a whole other story.

I never bought that Grace Kally had an affair with Bing. He was too well known in Hollywood for being a cheating sleaze, and for mistreating Dixie. I think she slept with most of the others she's been linked to, but not that one.

Quote Originally Posted by sassie View Post
    I met der Bingle (among others) when I waited tables at the Cal Neva Lodge up at Lake Tahoe in the 70's. (that was after Sinatra...ahem...left the establishment.)

Bing was a first class asshole. He came up a lot, either to perform at the club or to play at one of the golf tournaments-and he really liked that 99 cent ham and egg breakfast (probably the most disgusting restaurant meal on the planet, but, hey, it's only 99 cents). If you were on the wait staff, you weren't allowed to speak to him, even if he was at your station. We just had to stand there while he snapped his order at us. We DID get to say "Thank you, Mr. Crosby (you short skinflint)", and if we didn't, he'd bitch to the maitre'd. And, for the female staff, he'd give us the ol' fisheye onceover-which would make us want to take about 30 showers in a row.

I don't know if his son told the truth about him in that book, or if being his kid contributed to the depressions of the ones who committed suicide-but I lean towards that. Maybe he was just mellower towards the second set of kids, but, from what I saw of him, he could be, and often was, a dick.

Milton Berle was the other one who we hated to wait on - the wait staff would draw straws to see who got him - but that's a whole other story.

I never bought that Grace Kally had an affair with Bing. He was too well known in Hollywood for being a cheating sleaze, and for mistreating Dixie. I think she slept with most of the others she's been linked to, but not that one.

I love to read the first hand accounts of the celebs here. That is a pretty good story you have there.

Jersey Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    I love to read the first hand accounts of the celebs here. That is a pretty good story you have there.

Oh me too, honey!
    Come sit next to me, Sassie and let the stories be told!

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
    Oh me too, honey!
    Come sit next to me, Sassie and let the stories be told!

You Sassie, I know you have more celeb stories. Tell us a story please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    Mary Crosby was hot as Kristen Shepherd in Dallas.
    [SIZE=3]OMG, I cannot stand that girl...there is just something intrinsically bratty about her that makes me want to slap her. And her acting is right down there with Judy Norton-Taylor (who played Mary Ellen on The Waltons) who I consider one of the worst actresses alive. Eeesh![/SIZE]

sassie Guest
    Oh, I worked at the Cal Neva in the restaurant and for room service for over 20 years, and as a cocktail waitress in the showroom Sinatra built for himself and his ego. The things you see when you are an invisible lowly peon.

Best that I ever waited on, as far as celebrities went: Juliet Prowse (one very classy lady), Robert Redford, OJ Simpson (early seventies, pre-Nicole, he was really polite to the staff), Henry and Shirlee Fonda, Lee Marvin, Dinah Shore, Bob Hope (never cared for his act, and I've heard he was a putz, but he was always polite to the wait staff. His wife was nice, too.), Anthony Hopkins, Gene Kelly, Sandra Bullock, and there's more that I'm just not remembering right now.

Worst: Milton Berle (disgusting old lech), Richard Carpenter (creepy guy), Richard Chamberlain, Bing Crosby, David Soul, Tom Cruise (short little jackass).

The absolute worst, though, was Bill Cosby. I came out of the restaurant after working swing shift one night, in the middle of winter (and if you've ever been to Lake Tahoe in the winter, you'll know how cold it was), and my car stalled halfway out of the parking slot. It was an old VW bug (loved that car) and I had to wait a few minutes to start it again, cause it flooded.

Well, this other car came up the parking alley while I was waiting, and stopped because I was blocking the way. I looked over, and it was Cosby, sitting in a Rolls.

Incidentally, who the hell drives that fancy of a car in the middle of winter at Lake Tahoe, for cripes sake? Talk about showing the world how rich you are. With seven feet of snow on the ground, drive a Jeep, you putz.

Anyway, he just sat there, glaring at me, because I had the nerve to block his way. God forbid he should have hauled his celebrity ass out from behind the wheel to help me push the car out of his way. It was a VW, would have taken five seconds.

Couldn't get it started, had to go all the way back into the restaurant and get a few of the busboys to come and help me push back into the parking space so Cosby could drive on.

I felt bad for him and his wife when Ennis was killed, because that was tragic, but I always boycotted Cosby after that. Never watched his shows ('cept for the Huxtable one with Roscoe Lee Browne and Christopher Plummer, just because of them).

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]Really enjoying your stories sassie![/SIZE]

Doug81506 Guest
    Sassie's stories are great. I haven't had many brushes with "fame". I worked for Hertz Rent-a-Car in Salt Lake City, UT in 1981 and a few came through on their way to the ski resorts. Jane Fonda always had to have a BRAND NEW station wagon so the owner, an ass kisser, would order one and it would just sit there until time for her ski vacation. Robert Redford always had to have his car pre-heated or pre-cooled (depending on the season) so the car would be running until his plane landed and he picked it up. I always found this kind of hipocritical given his environmental leaning in public. I drove Babs Striesand and her then husband (Johb Peters?) across town. He was nice and tipped me $5 (a good tip nearly 30 years ago). Babs just sat in the back seat and acted like an asshole. Her husband kept shooting her dirty looks. J.W. Marriott, Jr. (not a a celebrity, but rich) settled into the passenger's seat and visited like an old friend when I drove him. I always thought that was the sign of a class act. There were others, but I can't think of them right now.

I work with a Psychologist (Ann) whose family actually owned the Hertz fanchises in Western Colorado for years. We met a couple of years ago and were swapping Hertz stories. She was working alone one night and Bill Murray got off a plane drunk and wanted to rent a car to drive to Aspen. She did not know what to do so she called her Dad at home. Ann's Dad asked how drunk he was and Ann said she wasn't sure then added that Bill was hitting on her. Her Dad paused and then exclaimed, "Jesus Christ, he IS drunk!"
    Last edited by Doug81506; 12-20-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Milton Berle

Sassie, he really must have been terrible if no one wanted to wait on him. Got any stories on Uncle Miltie?

-K.

leevancleef Guest
    Hi Sassie, im really enjoying your stories. Thanks a lot for sharing with us. That lady, Juliet Prowse, you mentioned, was Sinatra's fiancee in the early 60s, i believe.
    Just out of curiosity, did you get to talk to Henry or Shirlee fonda? What was your impression about them? im curious because ive read that Shirlee wasnt a very nice person.

In what concerns to Bill Cosby, yeah, ive never been a fan of him, but i felt terribly sorry for him and his family when his son died.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sassie View Post
    ive always wanted to believe that to be untrue, but by all accounts im afraid they did have an affair. William Holden said that when they were filming The Country Girl Crosby said to him that he was smitten with Grace and asked Holden what he thought. Holden said that he was overwhelmed by her but that he wont interfere.
    According to Sue Ladd (Mrs Alan Ladd) they had been previously involved an that"when his wife Dixie was dying Bing would drop by late night awith Miss Kelly. i caught them more than once nestling in our couch"
    Crosby carried a torch for Grace the rest of his life, thats for sure . After that, i think that Grace began dating OLEG CASSINI

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug81506 View Post
    . I drove Babs Striesand and her then husband (Johb Peters?) across town. He was nice and tipped me $5 (a good tip nearly 30 years ago). Babs just sat in the back seat and acted like an asshole. Her husband kept shooting her dirty looks. "
    nice anecdote, shooting dirty looks, hahha, lmao

RigorMortis Guest
    I wasn't going to read anymore Der Bingle thread. With Sassie stories and Doug's as well I'm glad I did. I love that dish on celebs.

sassie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Sassie, he really must have been terrible if no one wanted to wait on him. Got any stories on Uncle Miltie?
    -K.
    Yeah, he was a lech. Think "dirty old man" and that was Milton Berle.

Berle got comped at Cal Neva-I mean the guy didn't have to pay for anything-so he visited there a lot. I don't know if Sinatra gave him the same consideration at the Sands in Vegas or not, but, even after Sinatra 'sold' the Cal Neva, the rule was that Berle paid for nothing.

And he milked it, too. But, you know, that's the case with a lot of celebs - one of the reasons they have so much money is they often don't have to pay for anything. Usually, though, in casinos, what the casino has to spend on comps gets made back in Jack Daniels judgment, but I'll bet they take a loss sometimes when it comes to the celebrity comps.

Anyhoo, whenever he came into the restaurant, we waitresses would draw straws to see who got him. Berle always demanded female wait staff. He was a pincher and a grabber-you could not walk by Berle, if you were female, and not have him attempt to feel you up. He was a disgusting old perv.

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef
    Just out of curiosity, did you get to talk to Henry or Shirlee fonda?
    Fonda owned a house up at the Lake, and when he was staying there, he'd come into the restaurant every morning-his house was just down the road, so he'd walk every morning and finish up with a stop at the restaurant. He'd always have coffee, plain toast, and the newspaper. I remember them coming up during the off season, too-I guess they liked it up there, and people in the community were pretty good, because they'd leave him alone, even if they recognized him.

He was the coolest man. Always had a nice word and a smile. For the long time staffers, he'd remember our names and greet us with them. He wasn't a big talker, kind of quiet, but he had a great sense of humor. I remember Shirlee as being friendly and warm, although she only came into the restaurant with him a few times. She always wore these gold wedding bands on all her fingers, not just her left ring finger - and I asked her about them once, and she said, for every year of marriage, Fonda would buy her a new wedding band. I thought that was sweet. They were just very nice people.

Fonda got really frail the last few years, it was sad. The Tahoe community was pretty blue when we heard that he had passed away. I think Shirlee still came up there, but I don't remember her coming into the restaurant after that.

Peter Fonda, who came in a couple of times, was a lot like his dad. Quiet, funny, and polite.
    Last edited by sassie; 12-21-2007 at 07:21 AM.

leevancleef Guest
    Thanks Sassie, awesome info, much appreciated!

Back to der Bingle, anybody remembers the SUPER EMBARRASING moment when he sang in a Christmas special a Christmas carol(dont remember what)with David Bowie??? what the fuck¿¿ what were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Thanks Sassie, awesome info, much appreciated!

Back to der Bingle, anybody remembers the SUPER EMBARRASING moment when he sang in a Christmas special a Christmas carol(dont remember what)with David Bowie??? what the fuck¿¿ what were they thinking?
    That one was "Little Drummer Boy" - bah-ruma-rumpa.

Not actually one of my favorites either...

TNpuck Guest
    Embarrassing for whom? I remember watching that as a kid thinking "Bowie's singing with a wrinkle dog".

cherryghost Guest
    Sometimes a pictures says it all! Just love the body language and warmth exuding from Bing the Dad with his sons, poor guys!

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    These are Lindsay and Dennis, Bing's sons who committed suicide. They shot themselves. i feel terribly sorry for them.
    This photo.....point made. He makes no attempt to hide his true nature here, not even for his sons!