Thread: Gordon Lightfoot, 84

A true Canadian icon and legend. From Sundown and If You Could Read My Mind and my favourite The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald, one of the great songwriters of our time. RIP Sir.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I know his work because my parents loved "Sundown" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", playing them often. Of his songs, I did like the melancholy "If You Could Read My Mind". (I did read, upon her passing, that "Sundown" was written for Cathy Smith, whom Lightfoot was apparently involved with at the time. Smith was the woman involved in the death of John Belushi in 1982.)

Weird connection, but there you go!

May Gordon Lightfoot in peace.

All those songs helped define the 70's. I loved him.

I loved him too. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyLurker View Post
    I know his work because my parents loved "Sundown" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", playing them often. Of his songs, I did like the melancholy "If You Could Read My Mind". (I did read, upon her passing, that "Sundown" was written for Cathy Smith, whom Lightfoot was apparently involved with at the time. Smith was the woman involved in the death of John Belushi in 1982.)

Weird connection, but there you go!

May Gordon Lightfoot in peace.
    Cathy Smith was born in my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario,and was a regular fixture at the Grange Tavern. A place I myself would hang at when I was older. Those who were around then said her notoriety in music circles started there.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Loved him, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitz, my fave ad If you could read My Mind.

Saw him back in 1992 here in London he was a very Quiet singer
    just said hello at the start and said Goodbye at the end.(that was all)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

When FITZGERALD first came out I thought it was one of the stupidest songs I ever heard. After being a sailor, it is one of my favorite songs now.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    When FITZGERALD first came out I thought it was one of the stupidest songs I ever heard. After being a sailor, it is one of my favorite songs now.
    So true.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.