Thread: Joanna Barnes

Joanna Barnes

https://deadline.com/2022/04/joanna-...ry-1235013758/

She appeared in both versions of The Parent Trap.

I remember her from two episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies, as a rich debutante who (along with her mother) believe the Clampett's hillbilly look to be the Latest Fashion Craze. Snotty Mrs. Drysdale enrolls Elly May in an elite prep school to humiliate her. Jane Hathaway convinces the other girls that Elly May is merely wearing the newest look, which Joanna's character is eager to wear. Supposedly that's Sharon Tate on the left, dressed to partly resemble Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's -- remember, this is a prep school in snotty rich Beverly Hills, so if you don't dress posh you really don't deserve to be there!!!

The Hillbillies mistake the Fenwick's garden shed for their home (it has "Fenwick House" written on it) and believe the Fenwicks are dirt poor. Widow Fenwick is a blue blood who agrees to Cynthia's suggestion to dress in overalls because Cynthia believes Elly Mae is setting the new fashion rage with her look. Granny tries to chase Widow Fenwick around the house to give her a bath! Later Jed with all his money is urged by Widow Fenwick to go into business with her on a housing development called "Honeymoon Lane". Jed of course thinks she wants to marry him. Also, Mrs. Drysdale insults Mrs. Fenwick, mistaking her for another hillbilly friend of the Clampetts.

A wonderful actress with a touch of class. I will always remember her as the snobbish Gloria Upson in Auntie Mame with that over the top Bryn Mawr accent! RIP Joanna.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I did like Joanne Barnes. She played the snob well. The first thing that came to my mind were those episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies. She was priceless as Cynthia Fenwick. I used to get her mixed up with Tatum O’Neal’s mom who was also named Joanna. She played a country club snob on Bewitched.

IMO, Barnes was highly underrated. My dad adored her as she was from the same area of New England and she had gone to Smith College which was founded by one of my ancestors. Another film I loved her in was GOODBYE CHARLiE.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    I did like Joanne Barnes. She played the snob well. The first thing that came to my mind were those episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies. She was priceless as Cynthia Fenwick. I used to get her mixed up with Tatum O’Neal’s mom who was also named Joanna. She played a country club snob on Bewitched.
    I also remember her from the episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies.
    Sad to hear about her death.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

The Beverly Hillbillies: Flee! Flee for your life!!

Yes that is Sharon Tate in that picture on the end in the episode "Elly starts to school" it was her first appearance on The Beverly Hillbillies, before she had to done the black wig as Janet Trago. Joanna Barnes and Sharon Tate later both appeared in the movie Don't Make Waves she played Diane Prescott.