Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, 82

Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, 82

Can't find any other stories than Reuters main page right now...

http://www.reuters.com/
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Neil Armstrong dead at 82

Just read that Neil Armstrong has died.

https://plus.google.com/+BreakingNews/posts/QBmBF76EA8w
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oops, just started a thread on the very same thing at the same exact time. Sorry bout that. Mods: merge, please?

Jerry: Fox news has a banner but no story. TMZ has a brief story. Another piece of our history gone....
    Last edited by maryd; 08-25-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just saw it on the news.

RIP Neil.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Oh damn.. Well, he did more than most of us will dream. A great run and legacy. RIP.

Hate to hear this!

ajlposh Guest
    RIP. What a pioneer

Thanks for your contribution to science, Mr. Armstrong. He was a gentleman and a role model throughout his fame and accolades.
    Archer Fact: You canā??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Shannon Guest
    Sad to hear. A true American hero!

Bidmor Guest

phirerednga Guest
    RIP Mr. Armstrong, you were a brave man and true american hero.

TheMysterian Guest
    R.I.P. A true American Hero

Rosebud666 Guest
    I am crushed. The greatest idol of my childhood is gone. I guess I thought he would live forever.

My grandmother babysat him when he was a kid, and when he talked on the moon, he sounded like one of my mom's uncles. For years, I wanted to be an astronaut because of him.

The best thing about Neil Armstrong was that he never lost his humility and never tired of saying that he was just the most visible end of a very long lever.

God bless, Neil, and thank you for the inspiration and the memories.

A true hero of my childhood. What a singular distinction being the first man on the moon. He's now gone. You never saw him on TV selling oil filters or soda, he was a class act all the way. Now its time for Buzz Aldrin to gin some dough and attention out of this transition.

People took and still take landing on the moon for granted. It took balls to do what Neil did.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

RIP.

Some idiot on my Facebook is taking this opportunity to revive the ridiculous argument that we never landed on the moon. Sigh. People can really be idiots.

Timeo Vitae Guest

Rest In peace Neil!

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    RIP.

Some idiot on my Facebook is taking this opportunity to revive the ridiculous argument that we never landed on the moon. Sigh. People can really be idiots.
    Wonder if this joker is somehow related to that old man who had appeared on, now this is going way back, the old TV show "Real People" back in the late 70's. This person claimed that the moon landing was totally staged by Charles Schulz ( yes PEANUTS ) as an effort to promote Snoopy and Charlie Brown. During the entire interview the audience laughed and laughed as did Skip Stevenson who was doing the interviewing.

DonnaMc Guest
    I remember going outside and looking at the moon to see if I could see them on the moon. RIP Neil - you were a great man!

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    Wonder if this joker is somehow related to that old man who had appeared on, now this is going way back, the old TV show "Real People" back in the late 70's. This person claimed that the moon landing was totally staged by Charles Schulz ( yes PEANUTS ) as an effort to promote Snoopy and Charlie Brown. During the entire interview the audience laughed and laughed as did Skip Stevenson who was doing the interviewing.
    I'm not sure where this particular fool is getting his misinformation. He's not what I would call coherent. I know at some point Fox had a "documentary" arguing the moon landing was a hoax. Probably right after the alien autopsy.

Forever-27 Guest
    It was funny when he got really pissed off with George Norry on Coast to Coast when he was asked if the moon landing was fake.

JenAdams Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    It was funny when he got really pissed off with George Norry on Coast to Coast when he was asked if the moon landing was fake.

I was listening to that broadcast!
    Armstrong did something that most people in this world will never do~ RIP ~

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post
    I remember going outside and looking at the moon to see if I could see them on the moon. RIP Neil - you were a great man!
    I'm glad I wasn't the only kid that did that!

RIP.

Still can't believe watching that on TV the day
    people landed on the moon 1969.

That and when Canada vs USSR hockey series
    1972 final game is something will always enjoy
    remember and cheering about as a child seeing
    on TV.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

havoc Guest
    damn. He was my hero. I was such a NASA geek.

I hate reading this. He was my hero too. Watching Apollo 11, from beginning to end, on TV was a memory I hope I never forget. RIP Sir.
    Cindy

We all die; but how many of us get a chance to live a life like his?

Just imagine sitting on top of God (and NASA scientists) only knows how many tons of explosive fuel and being blasted not just into the sky, but into space and beyond; to set foot on a foreign body of a planet; even though it was "only" our moon.

Mr. Armstrong and his fellow astronauts were pioneers and must have had guts made of steel to do what they did; especially back in those days.

RIP, Mr. Armstrong; Mars awaits those who would follow you.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeilArmstrongRocketMan.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	43288

Godspeed, Rocket Man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Billy Weathersby Guest
    He was a True American Hero. I was 26 when he made his famous walk and this happened on my wonderful grandmother's 81st birthday..In her lifetime, she saw the automobile come into being, airplanes take flight and finally, got to see man go to the moon..Mr. Armstrong carried his celebrity well..

R.I.P. Like his family said, when you see a full moon, go outside and wink at it in his memory.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

tarsier Guest
    He always gave the impression of being invincible so sharp to the very end. Never seemed to consider himself any sort of "celebrity". I'm sure his funeral will be huge and I'm guessing he'll be buried near Marysville I'll have to visit his grave next time I head down 75.

I posted a story years ago about Mr Armstrong but I don't remember what the reactions were so here it goes again.
    In 2005 NA threatened to file a lawsuit against his barber because the barber picked up some of his hair off the floor and sold it to a hair collector.
    NA wanted his hair back but the barber donated the money to a charity of NA's choosing. After that he NA brought along his own bag and swept up
    his own hair.
    Technically once it leaves Armstrongs head and falls on the floor it's garbage. The whole thing would have ended up in a dumpster in this guys alley
    and the rest into a landfill. Do you think this was a big deal? In the olden days if a celebrity was in town you didn't ask for an autograph you asked for a lock of their
    hair.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Joee Guest
    Don't ask Buzz Aldrin if the landing was faked. He'll knock you on your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    And with a good reason.. It pisses me off to see heroes like these brave men being insulted by a bunch of conspiracy idiots.
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryvr View Post
    And with a good reason.. It pisses me off to see heroes like these brave men being insulted by a bunch of conspiracy idiots.

Same here jerryvr.

stevesy Guest
    Growing up I lived down the street from Neil Armstrong, the geek in me was thrilled when we would drive past his house. I always wondered if he had a moon rock in his house somewhere. Rest in peace Neil

Arky67 Guest
    Neil Armstrong was our hero. RIP

MysticCho Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    hahahahaha true that

When I was little, I always wanted to be an astronaunt. Mr. Armstrong was one of the reasons why.

Godspeed, sir.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    I posted a story years ago about Mr Armstrong but I don't remember what the reactions were so here it goes again.
    In 2005 NA threatened to file a lawsuit against his barber because the barber picked up some of his hair off the floor and sold it to a hair collector.
    NA wanted his hair back but the barber donated the money to a charity of NA's choosing. After that he NA brought along his own bag and swept up
    his own hair.
    Technically once it leaves Armstrongs head and falls on the floor it's garbage. The whole thing would have ended up in a dumpster in this guys alley
    and the rest into a landfill. Do you think this was a big deal? In the olden days if a celebrity was in town you didn't ask for an autograph you asked for a lock of their
    hair.
    I think there is more to this story than posted. I doubt he'd have given a shit about the hair if word hadn't gotten out that the barber did this which made it a matter of principle for a fairly private man. I don't think he wanted to deal with folks searching his trash for momentos.

Jacksmum Guest
    Ooops - Neil Young is still alive.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Bidmor Guest
    The moon landing vid I posted above...one of the related vids on that YT page is titled something like "the real reason we didn't return to the moon", so took a look. Welll it seems that after a few visits by earthlings, ET's (which the moon is full of) told our guys to leave and not come back. This one is new to me. Maybe we irritated them by leaving our crap laying around up there which they had to clean up. ET's are tidy, you know.

Then there's the vid which claim Armstrong converted to Islam after returning home...seems he kept hearing ethereal music while cruising around up there.

Slightly OT and wild. But then again, truth is stranger than fiction.

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    I had heard that the reason we stopped sending manned missions to the moon was because some astronauts (usually not specified in the versions I heard - Urban Legend all the way!) were told by an unfriendly alien that they didn't want us to send anyone else. Well, I believe that as much as I believe that JFK is alive and living in a vegetative state on an island in the Bahamas somewhere, but whatever the reason, I want to salute the man who got there first, giving the U.S. a huge morale boost and a wonderful soundbite. I was only 8 years old that day in 1969, but I watched the whole thing on TV!!!

Everyone - be sure to go outside and wink at the moon. That's what his family wants us to do!

When Neil Armstrong was born, the United States was unable to put a man in space.
    When Neil Armstrong died, the United States was unable to put a man in space.

Thank You President Obama and the Democrat Congress.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

National funeral for Neil Armstrong will be held Thursday, September 13th at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. after which he will be interred at sea.

http://news.discovery.com/space/neil...ea-120906.html
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesy View Post
    Growing up I lived down the street from Neil Armstrong, the geek in me was thrilled when we would drive past his house. I always wondered if he had a moon rock in his house somewhere. Rest in peace Neil
    Man I would die if I ever had him living on the same street. I would be so star struck I wouldn't ba able to talk to him or say the most idiotic thing I
    could think of. That must have been so great.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.

Taggerez Guest
    Neil Armstrong is part of a rare breed that is vanishing from the American landscape. My father worked at NASA (for Ford Aerospace) and helped put Armstrong on the moon with thousands of other competent, dedicated men, a few of which, I was lucky enough to know and many of whom have passed from the scene just like Armstrong. Dad was one of them.

Armstrong was a serious man who did nothing to mar his accomplishment. There were no sex scanals, no reality TV show appearences and no trips to Comic Con for him. He took America to the apex.

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerez View Post
    Neil Armstrong is part of a rare breed that is vanishing from the American landscape. My father worked at NASA (for Ford Aerospace) and helped put Armstrong on the moon with thousands of other competent, dedicated men, a few of which, I was lucky enough to know and many of whom have passed from the scene just like Armstrong. Dad was one of them.

Armstrong was a serious man who did nothing to mar his accomplishment. There were no sex scanals, no reality TV show appearences and no trips to Comic Con for him. He took America to the apex.
    I was alive back then, IF they every did really get
    to the moon.
    What a waste of American tax dollars money.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Taggerez Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I was alive back then, IF they every did really get
    to the moon.
    What a waste of American tax dollars money.
    Hey, that's #16 on the conspiracy theory list!

You have a paradox in your post, IF we didn't land on the moon then how could it be a waste of money?

Problem is, Armstrong et al brought back evidence: moon rocks. Dr. S. Ross Taylor said of them, “The moon rocks are different enough from earth rocks to keep us busy for years.”

Arf! Arf!

Yeah taggerez what a waste of money. Who needs battery operated tools? Improved thermoses? All those thermal blankets that were used to keep
    those silly guys from burning up and freezing during that simulated flight. And what's the big deal about velcro anyway do people really use that stuff?
    Man is a species that moves. We are meant to explore otherwise we would never have ended up on FAD.

Neil Armstrong Escaped Death 7 Times As A Pilot

1. Armstrong ejects after a portion of the right wing of his jet is sheared off

Date: September 3, 1951

Armstrong was flying a F9F Panther fighter bomber in the Korean war when he was hit by anti-aircraft fire. A portion of the jet's right wing was sliced after he struck a pole trying to regain control. After maneuvering back to friendly territory, the skilled aviator ejected over land where he was scooped up by a roommate from flight school. Armstrong was just 21 years old.

2. Armstrong barely manages to land without striking trees

Date: April 20, 1962

During testing of the X-15 (a plane that could hit speeds up to six times the speed of sound), Armstrong overshot the landing field at Edwards Air Force base in California. He was able to turn around and managed to land on a lakebed near the base, barely missing some Joshua trees.

3. The landing gear of Armstrong's jet gets stuck in the mud

Date: April 24, 1962

Just four days after the X-15 incident, Armstrong found himself in another sticky situation, this time while flying a T-33 training jet with passenger Chuck Yeager. Apparently, Yeager had warned him that the landing site, Smith Dry Ranch Lake, wasn't suitable for landing due to a recent rainstorm. But Armstrong insisted on flying and ended up getting stuck in the mud.

4. The landing gear of Armstrong's jet begins to retract

Date: May 21, 1962

While attempting to land at Delamar Dry Lake, one of the designated emergency landing sites for the X-15, the landing gear of Armstrong's F-104 Startfighter began to retract. Armstrong aborted the landing and made an emergency landing at Nellis Air Force Base.

5. The Gemini 8 spacecraft tumbles out of control

Date: March 16, 1966

In 1966, Armstrong took his first flight into space as the command pilot of Gemini 8. The mission was supposed to last three days. But less than 30 minutes after docking with another vehicle and only six hours into the mission, the spacecraft went into an uncontrolled spin. After stabilizing the capsule, Armstrong was forced to make an emergency landing in the Pacific Ocean.

6. Armstrong narrowly escapes death after losing control of the Lunar Landing Research Vehicle (LLRV)

Date: May 6, 1968

One year before setting foot on the moon, Armstrong was nearly killed while test-driving the lunar landing research vehicle. He was able to eject out of the tumbling module mere seconds before it crashed to the ground and exploded in flames.

7. Armstrong overrides auto-pilot to avoid a field of large boulders on the moon

Date: July 20, 1969

With less than 30 seconds of fuel left, Armstrong had to override auto-pilot on the Apollo 11 lunar module to avoid a field of large boulders before landing in a safe spot.

Last edited by neilmpenny; 10-19-2013 at 02:32 AM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny