Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: MS-13 carried out ‘medieval’ killings, feds say

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,705

    MS-13 carried out ‘medieval’ killings, feds say


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,372
    I'd sort of like to go to one of those Medieval Times shows, never been to one.

    Medieval killings?
    That implies time travel.

    I don't think it's technically possible to perform a Medieval act of any sort in the modern day.
    Re-enactments, maybe.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I'd sort of like to go to one of those Medieval Times shows, never been to one.

    I don't think it's technically possible to perform a Medieval act of any sort in the modern day.
    Re-enactments, maybe.
    Same. Eat with my hands and drink Pepsi products as the horses ride by, that’s what “modern time medieval” evokes.

    Below I am just venting my opinion. Thanks for being a forum that allows thoughts to be vented!

    MS-13 are described in the article, variously, as: soldiers, clique members, defendants, and...people. They are gang members. Journalists: sorry if it gets repetitive to call gang members what they are.

    I infer that the “medieval” reference, combined with allusions to illegal immigrants committing the crimes and the brutal “un-American” nature of the crimes, is more gangsta than costumed jousting-Pepsi products. So, I get the analogy. Many Americans equate American freedoms/style with old-fashioned drive-by shootings (versus carving hearts out) and free speech (versus military states, government controls prohibiting their own country’s social media/expression, etc.). Is America becoming a “brute” country? Aren’t we now/weren’t we always? Maybe it’s the paranoia of a new normal encroaching on our soil which we’d prefer would remain elsewhere - car bombings in Belfast, mile-long armed-guard security tunnels in Israel are “others’ normal”, but not America’s. Yet. Then again, as a native Chicagoan, I’d say our big cities get a bad rap for the brutality that certainly exists, but does not characterize the people as a whole. Again: yet.

    In the middle of the article, it says “EDITORS: STORY CAN END HERE.” Leading readers to believe that, well, the article wasn’t thoroughly edited. Not that Al Gore’s internets are a pristine source of truth, but it’s a reminder that the onus remains on the reader to consider all sources.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    Same. Eat with my hands and drink Pepsi products as the horses ride by, that’s what “modern time medieval” evokes.

    Below I am just venting my opinion. Thanks for being a forum that allows thoughts to be vented!

    MS-13 are described in the article, variously, as: soldiers, clique members, defendants, and...people. They are gang members. Journalists: sorry if it gets repetitive to call gang members what they are.

    I infer that the “medieval” reference, combined with allusions to illegal immigrants committing the crimes and the brutal “un-American” nature of the crimes, is more gangsta than costumed jousting-Pepsi products. So, I get the analogy. Many Americans equate American freedoms/style with old-fashioned drive-by shootings (versus carving hearts out) and free speech (versus military states, government controls prohibiting their own country’s social media/expression, etc.). Is America becoming a “brute” country? Aren’t we now/weren’t we always? Maybe it’s the paranoia of a new normal encroaching on our soil which we’d prefer would remain elsewhere - car bombings in Belfast, mile-long armed-guard security tunnels in Israel are “others’ normal”, but not America’s. Yet. Then again, as a native Chicagoan, I’d say our big cities get a bad rap for the brutality that certainly exists, but does not characterize the people as a whole. Again: yet.

    In the middle of the article, it says “EDITORS: STORY CAN END HERE.” Leading readers to believe that, well, the article wasn’t thoroughly edited. Not that Al Gore’s internets are a pristine source of truth, but it’s a reminder that the onus remains on the reader to consider all sources.
    They're criminals who belong to gangs of other criminals.
    Some people get involved who weren't really "gangsta" criminals; until they got involved.
    Then, the criminal drives the criminal direction of the gang, the gang drives the criminal activities of the individuals.

    Yeah - back in the day - as the history of Chicago clearly shows - murder and mayhem were much more "civilized". You just shoot the other guy in a restaurant or a barber shop; or do a drive by at a street corner, or pretend to be a couple of cops and line them up and mow them down.

    The main thing you were trying to accomplish was just eliminating them for different reasons.
    Gangs today are also trying to send a message to people outside of their gangs as to just how brutal and vicious they are.

    Why the hell else do you cut somebody's head off or hack them to death when a simple gunshot will suffice?

    The method is for psychological and emotional effect.

    That's just kind of my opinion - killers are just killers whether they belong to a gang or not; whether they use machetes or guns or a garrote.

    I didn't that know Medieval Times serves Pepsi.
    That sucks.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,396
    Pepsi, no Coke!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    3,988
    Had to read the story twice. OMG.

    cleanskull you kill me no pun intended.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,396
    It's because I'm old. Everything reminds me of something from the past. What's old is new again.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    That’s just kind of my opinion - killers are just killers whether they belong to a gang or not; whether they use machetes or guns or a garrote.

    I didn't that know Medieval Times serves Pepsi.
    That sucks.
    I get it - and good point about sending a message. It’s just disheartening when a “new” way of killing becomes something that barely makes the news, or at least we want to minimize it if possible before it becomes the norm. I’d say murder-suicides but particularly school shootings as prime examples - kids had access to their folks’ guns in the 60’s and 70’s...as an 80’s kid the only school shoot-up I recall was popularized in Boomtown Rats’ “I Don’t Like Mondays”. Picture America as a dining room that seats a family of 6, and the last one to dinner is Joey who puts his feet on the table. Kids err and disrespect constantly but feet on the table at dinner?! “We just don’t *do* that here.” Even if killers are killers, culture is probably a factor in addition to the fun nuance of messaging ruthless brutality.

    Haa! I’m an RC gal myself. Maybe Pepsi is more medieval-tasting.

    cleanskull - if you’re old, so am I. CHEEBURGER! I met the Billy Goat guy unexpectedly, a number of years ago having lunch in the Loop on the way to work. Stepped into a Billy Goat Tavern and a familiar voice asked if I wanted something to drink, something to eat, a cheeburger? That made my year!!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,372
    We had a "gang-related" killing here a few months ago.

    The killers cut off the victim's head (I'll say victim, he was no innocent) and burned the body.
    But they took the head and put it on the Uncle's front porch.

    The Uncle wasn't home, but a bunch of neighbors reported it to the cops - people were walking and driving by and seeing the severed head on the porch.

    These weren't immigrant gangstas, they're home grown.
    In a somehow related incident that happened at the same time, a woman's car was stolen with her 6 or 8 year old son supposedly asleep on the back seat.

    The next morning, the kid was found shot several times a few miles away, still in the back seat.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    2,581
    Wow, that’s horrible. More frightening if the two incidents were related. Shooting a child who is laying down in the back seat of a car is taking revenge to another level.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    We had a "gang-related" killing here a few months ago.
    ...These weren't immigrant gangstas, they're home grown.
    Even if those killers aren’t immigrants, let’s hope it doesn’t become commonplace culturally in either our big cities or outlying suburbs (heck, anywhere...sorry, rural folks, you don’t need heads-on-porches either...you probably don’t even have UberEats). Of course, zero country is innocent of brutality because all mankind has evil in residence to varying degrees. Maybe other countries do this too, but US insists on being “above” methods (cruel and unusual punishment), yet uses them either intentionally (interrogations) or by goofing up (lethal-injections that “taste like burning” and last for half an hour...whoops).

    What were we talking about? Pepsi? Machetes? Anybody got an Ambien?
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    What were we talking about? Pepsi? Machetes? Anybody got an Ambien?
    Medieval Gang Warfare, me thinks...

    Medieval Gang Warfare.jpg
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,396
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    2,581
    I do recall the Samuel L. Jackson line from Pulp Fiction, yes.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,396
    It was Ving Rhames as Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction. Sam had that great "Righteous Man" speech. Damn good movie.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    2,581
    And it came out in 1994!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,396
    The Movie would be a bit tame by todays standards. But saying "I'm going to get medieval on your ass" is still fun. Now I direct it at my Lawnmower when it's being a jerk.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •