Thread: Peggy Sue Gerron, 78 Friend of Buddy Holly

Peggy Sue Gerron, 78 Friend of Buddy Holly

Died Sept 30 in Lubbock

http://www.kcbd.com/2018/10/01/peggy-sue-dies-age/

Following her divorce from Jerry Allison, Peggy Sue went to Pasadena Junior College in Pasadena, California, and became a dental assistant. She then married again and had two children, a girl and a boy, and spent the majority of her life caring for her family, according to PeggySueOnline.com.

She helped her new husband establish a successful plumbing business and became the first licensed woman plumber in California.

In 1995 she came back to Lubbock to care for her aging and ill mother and stayed.

Peggy Sue was a celebrity speaker, radio host, and columnist.

“She worked hard at keeping the joy of the 50s alive and she was iconic in that sense a real good ambassador for Lubbock,” said Stathos.

RIP Peggy Sue. She did a great job helping others keep Buddy's memory and music alive.

Rest in peace Peggy Sue. Love that music.

It boggles my mind to think of how long ago the world lost Buddy. A death like this is very thought-provoking.

I mean, if that plane hadn't crashed, he might very well be alive TODAY.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Someone once told me that had he not died he would have been greater than Elvis. I don't buy it, but we'll never know.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Dang, THE Peggy Sue!
    RIP, Peggy Sue.

It would have been interesting to see how his writing and performing style might have developed had he lived.
    But I'm with Cindy - I don't think he'd have ever come close to matching Elvis.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Bummer. My dad has an autographed picture from her.

I think Buddy was already better than Elvis when he died.

More interesting to me is the question of how he would have evolved over time as an artist.

Would he continue to get better, or would he have become mediocre?

This makes me think of John Lennon's alleged comment when he was told Elvis had died: "Elvis died when he joined the army."
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Elvis had a voice that was unique and the face and body to sell the voice. Buddy Holly had an inexhaustible well of original talent and energy. It's tempting to put them on a scale and attempt to weigh them but I think that's a gross inequity. Buddy might well have been judge a greater singing song writer, whereas Elvis was a strong vocal performer. My opinion is, Buddy was cheated out of a glorious life of writing, performing, and producing. He is every bit an icon as Elvis, but died violently at age 22, leaving a strong body of original and taped songs, many of which were mixed after his death.
    Regarding Peggy Sue Gerron, she inspired a name change to a cha-cha rhythm song, and it was the perfect choice for a driving classic. "Peggy Sue Got Married" was something Buddy recorded at home on tape. It was mixed after buddy died, and released to fill a demand for music. We couldn't believe that voice and talent was actually dead.
    Last edited by PooBah McGee; 10-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Actually Peggy Sue's name was used because she was the girlfriend of one of the bandmembers and he wanted to impress her, the song was going to be Cindy Lou, after Buddy's niece, but went ahead and changed it to Peggy Sue because of the band member.

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    I think Buddy was already better than Elvis when he died.

More interesting to me is the question of how he would have evolved over time as an artist.

Would he continue to get better, or would he have become mediocre?

This makes me think of John Lennon's alleged comment when he was told Elvis had died: "Elvis died when he joined the army."
    Thank You, some very good points.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by PooBah McGee View Post
    Elvis had a voice that was unique and the face and body to sell the voice. Buddy Holly had an inexhaustible well of original talent and energy. It's tempting to put them on a scale and attempt to weigh them but I think that's a gross inequity. Buddy might well have been judge a greater singing song writer, whereas Elvis was a strong vocal performer. My opinion is, Buddy was cheated out of a glorious life of writing, performing, and producing. He is every bit an icon as Elvis, but died violently at age 22, leaving a strong body of original and taped songs, many of which were mixed after his death.
    Regarding Peggy Sue Gerron, she inspired a name change to a cha-cha rhythm song, and it was the perfect choice for a driving classic. "Peggy Sue Got Married" was something Buddy recorded at home on tape. It was mixed after buddy died, and released to fill a demand for music. We couldn't believe that voice and talent was actually dead.
    Very well put.

RIP.
    My profile picture and avatar are pictures of the lovely Agnetha Fältskog from ABBA, not me. I am a man, and an admirer of her. Friend proposers take note!