Thread: Nashville cop shoots fleeing suspect in back

Nashville cop shoots fleeing suspect in back

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Tennessee.html

Nashville is 2 to 3 hours west of me.

The cop - who looks too young to be in one of my Freshman comp classes - claims the victim was armed. Police say a gun was found "CLOSE TO the scene," whatever the hell that means.

Now I'll just sit back and wait for people to claim it's justified for cops to shoot people in the back. There's not a doubt in my mind it will happen, sadly, so here's a suggestion: Maybe Mr. Hambrick was a trick shot artist, like Annie Oakley, and was about to shoot the officer over his shoulder. Way I hear it, a MIRROR was found close to the scene too. Totally justified.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Tennessee.html

Nashville is 2 to 3 hours west of me.

The cop - who looks too young to be in one of my Freshman comp classes - claims the victim was armed. Police say a gun was found "CLOSE TO the scene," whatever the hell that means.

Now I'll just sit back and wait for people to claim it's justified for cops to shoot people in the back. There's not a doubt in my mind it will happen, sadly, so here's a suggestion: Maybe Mr. Hambrick was a trick shot artist, like Annie Oakley, and was about to shoot the officer over his shoulder. Way I hear it, a MIRROR was found close to the scene too. Totally justified.
    I was gonna say, "How rude" of the cop to shoot the guy in the back instead of in the front, but your pointing out that he was a trick shot artist - and he had a mirror - changes everything.

Most people who are running away from you don't pose much of a danger - not that guy, obviously.
    For all we know, in addition to being a trick shot artist and having a mirror; he might have been a magician to boot.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

OK - I've watched the video of this incident several times now in my head.

The guy was not running away from the cop, he was running toward the cop.
    He only appeared to be running away because of artful use of that old magician's trick - sleight of feet.

It follows then that the cop had no choice but to shoot the guy in the back since he was charging at the cop back first.
    I'm pretty sure that in one frame I could also see the guy starting to point a gun toward the cop over his shoulder while using a mirror.

What's a cop to do?
    What would you do under those circumstances?

Justified.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Kid Cop screwed the pooch on this one.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.