Thread: Old TV shows should be taken off the air for good ??

Old TV shows should be taken off the air for good ??

Last night I was watching Real People on one of my tapes. My roommate saw it and said I should seek help because liking old TV shows is like living in the past
    It's not the first time I heard that. I had a co-worker who felt the same way. If one likes say I Love Lucy then seek hep because they are living in the past !! Same with music too. I know older folks who like PINK or whatever and they won't dare listen to Elvis.

Some people will use anything to slam someone.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Hi Choff, I love classic/old tv shows..I feel there is nothing wrong with them.
    Your friend/co-worker sounds a bit passive aggressive to make a rather hostile comment about such a thing, Sounds like they are using that to mask some other issue.
    There is a way to remedy that rather limited thinking, Tell them they don’t have to watch those shows. JMO
    Last edited by hisandhearse; 06-11-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Some people will use anything to slam someone.

Maybe but I was thinking of my former co-worker. One day the TV in our breakroom had Dennis the Menace paying from Antenna TV. She got angry and saying that all of it was garbage and people should watch today's TV. She switched the channel to Jerry Springer. The next day Antenna TV, MeTV, Decades and Get TV was blocked for that TV She was 63 years old.

Yep, Jerry Springer is an improvement over the classics
    But seriously, this looks like two separate issues:
    1. Perhaps the classics can be enjoyed for their substance or historical relevance, without one living in the past (or ascribing to archaic references that are racist, sexist, etc.).
    2. Your coworker had some bolts loose, fighting battles over clearly subjective things like TV shows. Weird that she got so upset.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Some of the old TV shows are real gems.
    They wrote the book on what was a new medium.

Watch The Honeymooners, Get Smart, Man From Uncle - The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits just to name a few.
    Everybody doesn't like the same kind of clothes or cars or music - that's why we have so many different kinds to choose from.

And what about stuff like Mission Impossible - is it OK to watch the movies but the old TV show is off limits, even though the premise is the same?

Your roommate sounds like the one who needs to get a little help for the raging ego problem and narrow perspective.
    He (she?) sounds like one of those who thinks that if they don't like something, that means it's no good.

I hated the songs Raspberry Beret and Little Red Corvette - wonder how many millions Prince made from those?
    Ditto, We Will Rock You - and they've played it at probably every single sporting event I've ever been to.

The roommate really needs to lighten up.
    Smoking a big, fat joint of some good stuff and watching some Gunsmoke or Batman or Rocky & Bullwinkle episodes would probably work wonders.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Some of the old TV shows are real gems.
    They wrote the book on what was a new medium.

Watch The Honeymooners, Get Smart, Man From Uncle - The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits just to name a few.
    Everybody doesn't like the same kind of clothes or cars or music - that's why we have so many different kinds to choose from.

And what about stuff like Mission Impossible - is it OK to watch the movies but the old TV show is off limits, even though the premise is the same?

Your roommate sounds like the one who needs to get a little help for the raging ego problem and narrow perspective.
    He (she?) sounds like one of those who thinks that if they don't like something, that means it's no good.

I hated the songs Raspberry Beret and Little Red Corvette - wonder how many millions Prince made from those?
    Ditto, We Will Rock You - and they've played it at probably every single sporting event I've ever been to.

The roommate really needs to lighten up.
    Smoking a big, fat joint of some good stuff and watching some Gunsmoke or Batman or Rocky & Bullwinkle episodes would probably work wonders.
    Funny I heard Little Red Corvette and Raspberry Beret on Denver's so-called oldies station this week. KOOL 105 They play nothing before 1980.

Oh my roommate is moving out mid July. Moving back to Iowa. I was tired of pissing everybody in Denver off ( mainly due to lack of pot ) because of him. Him getting a fight with a neighbor because she was smoking pot in her car was the last straw.

A lot of old TV shows are great.

I will say, though, that I find "I Love Lucy" pretty much unwatchable.

To quote Crow T. Robot: "Awwwwwww, Rickyyyyyyyyyy, turns out I was never funnyyyyyyyy."
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    Funny I heard Little Red Corvette and Raspberry Beret on Denver's so-called oldies station this week. KOOL 105 They play nothing before 1980.

Oh my roommate is moving out mid July. Moving back to Iowa. I was tired of pissing everybody in Denver off ( mainly due to lack of pot ) because of him. Him getting a fight with a neighbor because she was smoking pot in her car was the last straw.
    I hear they have some killer mushrooms in Iowa.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    A lot of old TV shows are great.

I will say, though, that I find "I Love Lucy" pretty much unwatchable.

To quote Crow T. Robot: "Awwwwwww, Rickyyyyyyyyyy, turns out I was never funnyyyyyyyy."
    The only thing that is annoying to me is when she addresses ??Ricky? as sir. Ack!

Nothing wrong with enjoying old tv shows.

Bet some specialty channels are getting rich
    off from just showing them over and over again.

50 years from now sure people will still watch
    reruns of The Big Bang Theory.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

OMG I love the classics, better than most of the shows on now, and I love classic music, 30s-80s some 90s