Thread: Kate Spade

Kate Spade

I am a huge fan of her handbags and home items. Very sad. RIP.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/05/f...pade-dead.html

I had to look up who she was, but still....to commit suicide. very sad. like i always say, you never know what ppl are going thru.
    RIP.

I didn't follow her, but I knew the name.. I was shocked!!
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Damn, I have been wanting one of her bags for a long time but can't see paying that much for one, I have thought about saving up for one. Wonder what made her kill herself, did she suffer from depression, got bad news, etc...who knows, wonder what the note said. can't imagine someone like her killing herself, hell I couldn't even imagine Robin Williams killing himself either.

Dang - and with a 13 year old daughter.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Damn, I have been wanting one of her bags for a long time but can't see paying that much for one, I have thought about saving up for one. Wonder what made her kill herself, did she suffer from depression, got bad news, etc...who knows, wonder what the note said. can't imagine someone like her killing herself, hell I couldn't even imagine Robin Williams killing himself either.
    Some friends are saying she had suffered from depression, and that there were marital problems. The note was apparently for the daughter telling her she loved her, and this is not your fault... talk to your father. Whatever happened to make her mother do this, is something that poor girl is going to have to live with.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Her bags are great. And really, for how long they last, I don't think they are that expensive. I don't understand Vuittons and spending $1000 for a bag, but my Sam bag has held up well over the years. And it's a classic style that still looks modern today, IMO. I also have a leather KS purse and it's very good quality. I got that one on eBay though, so I didn't pay the designer leather price. I saved up for my Sam and I felt like such an adult and was so proud of myself when I finally got it.

Here's an article about women and their first Sam. I love the one pictured in the article. Mine was just the classic black nylon. My leather purse is pink leather, but it's a different style.
    https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-b...tter-trending/

I can't imagine someone like either one of them (KS or RW) committing suicide. You never know what's going on in someone's head, and then it just goes to show that money and fame don't necessarily buy you happiness. I wish her daughter could have been enough for her, but when you are in a state of mind where you are considering this, you aren't thinking rationally, so I try to not judge.

This suicide reminds of that of Mick Jagger's girlfriend. She was a fashion designer who used a scarf on a door in her NY apartment as well if I remember correctly.

edit #2: Tracy it's weird you mention Robin Williams. I just found this article by Kate's sister who said Kate had been fascinated by Robin's suicide by hanging.
    www.kansascity.com/news/local/article212609069.html
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 06-05-2018 at 08:00 PM.

This has been going around work. (Male boss: "I knew who she was. Guess I'm a better girl than some of you.") I didn't know it was true until I came here. Anytime someone famous dies I check here to see if it's true. I also didn't know she was David Spade's SIL. It didn't click until I saw a picture of her, her hubby, David, and Courteney Cox.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Bette, I think I will save up and get myself a Kate Spade bag, if the prices don't sky rocket because of her death, I should have done it ages ago, I do have a Kate Spade Journal, I feel for her thirteen year old daughter, she is probably thinking why did mom do this wasn't I good enough or did I do something wrong, or maybe the letter explained to her why and not to blame herself, I have a feeling it's going to come out that Kate had depression and I just saw something that her husband was shopping for apartments, they were having relationship issues.

The husband is speaking out saying she had been battling depression and anxiety for some time. But, they were both focused on the well being of their daughter. He also said they had been living apart for almost a year and there were no plans to divorce.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I know of a few friends who just bought up some of her scarves as a deathly tribute...

Depression sucks, I have it, I have Major Depressive Disorder, and got to the point of wanting to end my life, but I go to my husband when I am feeling that way as I know that the depression will end for a time and I will have good days, she turned something temporary (depression) and made it a permanent solution (suicide), She was alone in the apartment, where was her daughter?

I have it too. It comes and goes. I turn it over to God, because He is all I have. Literally. And He always makes it better.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I think the role of antidepressants, psychoactive drugs in general, is way underreported or examined. Right on the heels of this news came the shocker in our community that one of my kids' high school classmates with whom they graduated a mere 4 years ago just committed suicide by taking ALL his prescription meds at once. He'd been on them since middle school and god knows what cumulative effect they had on his system after that many years.

I have another acquaintance who when going through a bitter divorce 20 years ago went to see his doctor for an unrelated condition and when she routinely asked how things were going, he admitted he wasn't in the greatest of mindsets, whereupon she said "Oh you need some of these!" and wrote him out a prescription. Not understanding their strength at the time, he started taking them and said for about 4 weeks he was "the life of the party", "fun to be around" and "up" all the time. Then during the 5th week he "crashed" and went into the blackest of black depressions. He said he was literally reduced to crouching in a corner holding his head in his hands and saying over and over, "it's the drugs, it's not me...it's the drugs, it's not me..." When the spell passed he flushed the rest down the toilet and has never touched another one since.

All these drugs do is suppress for a time the rage or depression that are warning mechanisms built into our DNA. Eventually the dam will break and those homicidal or suicidal impulses will be acted on.

Joe, good point, I stopped taking my meds I was on six different ones, one for sleep, one for the depression, one for the anxiety, one for the panic and ocd, one to take inbetween if I needed one and it wasnt time for my anxiety pill and one for the the bipolar disorder. I was a zombie for most of the day and I was like no more, I wonder if Kate was on meds a lot of them can increase suicidal thoughts and depression

Everyone's chemistry is a little different. Those drugs are helpful to some people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Joe, good point, I stopped taking my meds I was on six different ones, one for sleep, one for the depression, one for the anxiety, one for the panic and ocd, one to take inbetween if I needed one and it wasnt time for my anxiety pill and one for the the bipolar disorder. I was a zombie for most of the day and I was like no more, I wonder if Kate was on meds a lot of them can increase suicidal thoughts and depression
    You're one of the lucky ones. I think this kid in our acquaintance was on those meds for so long and it became so routine that "doctor's orders, you have to take your prescription" they eventually disabled him from ever living a normal life and he just said forget it. He went from being a gifted musician and honor graduate to upscale private university, quit after a year, struggled to recoup at a community college, then ended up back at home unable to function in the real world.

18. 06-08-2018, 04:52 PM
    Reason
    Accidental Dupe

I see her Dad just died the day before her
    funeral.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.