Thread: Harry Anderson

Harry Anderson

Harry Anderson
    , the amiable actor who presided over the NBC comedy ??Night Court? for nine seasons, has died at his home in Asheville, N.C., according to a local media report. He was 65.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/harr...65-1202754949/
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Loved him in Night Court. Way to young. RIP Harry.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Oh no.
    Loved Harry on Night Court, and loved his magic acts.

Saw him do a bit one time where he stuck a big hat pin through his forearm and was moving it back and forth with blood trickling down his arm.
    Some in the audience were freaking out, "It's a trick, people!" he said grinning.

RIP, Harry.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I'm not sure why you didn't seem much of him after Night Court. I hadn't thought of him in awhile.

was it "natural causes" ???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I've only read that it wasn't suspected foul play.

I had forgotten he was on Cheers and the original IT.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

This is messed up. I liked him in "Dave's World".

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    I'm not sure why you didn't seem much of him after Night Court. I hadn't thought of him in awhile.
    I was hospitalized recently and they had a channel there that was showing old episodes of Night Court. I watched it for hours. I had completely forgotten about him as well. But I was so happy to see it. He made me smile. I was reminded of him again a few days ago when someone was talking about his daughter, I guess she is an actress.

Cindy, I didn't know that!

RIP.

I used to watch it when they did reruns on t.v. really liked it wonder what he died from? Natural causes at 65 hmmmm.

I'm shocked by this one! He did a terrific job on NC, never saw Dave's World,and then he just disappeared.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

A poster on another forum reports that, via info from Shadoe Stevens, it was a stroke that got him. The second in about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I had forgotten he was on Cheers and the original IT.
    I so enjoyed him in the early episodes of Cheers as "Harry the Hat"
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I don't know why I should care about him at all. He did seem to be such a nice guy I guess. I never watched Night Court because sitcoms just drive me batty for some reason (I think "Laverne & Shirley" tainted me). I do remember him from "Dave's World" which is I suppose a sitcom but the lightest, fluffiest kind. Mostly when I think of Dave's World I remember that era in my life which was kinda cool (mid to late 1990's), so I suppose Harry Anderson was an anchor to a memorable era in my life. I am a big Dave Barry fan so maybe I associate the two.

Quote Originally Posted by boilly View Post
    A poster on another forum reports that, via info from Shadoe Stevens, it was a stroke that got him. The second in about a week.
    Okay- can I see a show of hands? Why are so many Boomers dying? My guess is the mess of unneeded and dangerous pharmaceuticals with names no ones can pronounce. I really think this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    I'm shocked by this one! He did a terrific job on NC, never saw Dave's World,and then he just disappeared.
    I would say Dave's World was a sitcom for fans of Dave Barry and also for people who dislike sitcoms. l'll bet it's on DVD.

I saw him somewhere on video in the last year or two. I watch so much YouTube I just can't remember. Maybe a podcast? He looked as we remember him but older obviously and with an odd hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    This is a very good point, what does "natural causes"
    even mean?
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    Okay- can I see a show of hands? Why are so many Boomers dying? My guess is the mess of unneeded and dangerous pharmaceuticals with names no ones can pronounce. I really think this.
    Maybe so.
    Maybe all the additives in food, stress levels - always connected - maybe the invisible blue light from phones and computer screens upsets something internally; IDK. My boss died suddenly a month ago - 45 years old, seemingly healthy as a horse - BOOM!, gone.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    This is a very good point, what does "natural causes"
    even mean?
    I suppose that means something like death brought about prematurely by external influences or actions, intended or otherwise; as opposed to some critical internal life support system failing of it's own accord.

But yeah, it's all natural in a sense.
    Take too much heroin, you will die; naturally.

All deaths are natural - except maybe for death by misadventure; nothing natural about death by misadventure.

I don't really believe in fate or karma or predestination, but I do think that we only go when our time comes.

Back in the early 1990s, a friend of mine who was a professional magician scored a block of 12 free tickets to the Magic Castle here in Los Angeles on Halloween Night. The act that night was shrouded in mystery and no one knew who would be performing. The only catch in going was that we had to buy three drinks that night. We went and it was weird because we had to order all three drinks ahead of time and they brought them all at once! I was kind of pissed off, but when they dimmed the lights, the magician was none other than Harry Anderson! The crowd went wild and he put on a really good show for almost two hours, a rarity at the Magic Castle. It was a mixture of magic and stand-up comedy and I was very impressed, and well worth my three drinks brought all at once! I remember at the end of his act, everything went dark and the audience had cold, wet spaghetti thrown on them for about five minutes. It was a great night that I will remember fondly.

I read on another site that Harry Anderson had a very bad case of the Flu in January, and then shortly afterward had suffered several strokes. I did not read about him having a recent stroke these last few weeks. On a personal note, the Flu has hit our family very badly this year. My aunt in Minnesota died in January from the Flu and we are actually attending her Celebration of Life next week. And although we do not yet have the official Cause of Death back yet from the Los Angeles County Coroner yet, my sister who was only 59, is suspected of dying of the Flu just last month on March 7th. Harry Anderson could have also been yet another victim of this awful, awful Flu this year as well.

Rest in peace, Harry Anderson, you will be missed.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

I was afraid someone would mention that flu. I remember getting really intensely uncomfortable and rather ill for one memorable day or so in January and I used a home remedy to fix it (I won't share it here; I'm not an MD!). I do think the remedy brought the sickness to a quick end though. I took the remedy early in the day and it was a wild, wild ride. I took notes on it, it was so crazy:

I could not sleep
    I was not hungry! (That is odd in itself)
    Aching crawling skin
    Intensely cold, despite being under a pile of quilts.
    Agitation, infantilism (I reverted to a childlike emotional state for a bit)
    General discomfort
    Cramps in my stomach

By 9:30 PM I was quite a bit better but I needed to be at work at 10:00 PM and went to the website. The dropdown box said either Tardy or Abgsent. I soooo wanted to click Absent but I just did Tardy. That night at work I took the usual Orange Sunshine (Vick's DayQuil imitation; very effective usually) and suffered through the night. Note that I was much better by that time but still suffering. And like the flu does, as the night progressed the pain progressed and I was glad to go home that morning. That was also my first day of vacation and I was afraid it would be ruined by the sickness. But I healed very quickly and the vacation was wonderful (but cold). This same time a coworker was out sick for a week, and she's the type never to miss.

I am about 50 and in good shape.

In the back of my mind I suspected the damned flu. My favorite radio guy died from the flu when I was on vacation (January 6th-January 12th). This was out of the blue. He was 61 and I as far as I know in good health. But I don't know what his true health was. Maybe he was fragile? Was Harry Anderson in good health?

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Back in the early 1990s, a friend of mine who was a professional magician scored a block of 12 free tickets to the Magic Castle here in Los Angeles on Halloween Night. The act that night was shrouded in mystery and no one knew who would be performing. The only catch in going was that we had to buy three drinks that night. We went and it was weird because we had to order all three drinks ahead of time and they brought them all at once! I was kind of pissed off, but when they dimmed the lights, the magician was none other than Harry Anderson! The crowd went wild and he put on a really good show for almost two hours, a rarity at the Magic Castle. It was a mixture of magic and stand-up comedy and I was very impressed, and well worth my three drinks brought all at once! I remember at the end of his act, everything went dark and the audience had cold, wet spaghetti thrown on them for about five minutes. It was a great night that I will remember fondly.

I read on another site that Harry Anderson had a very bad case of the Flu in January, and then shortly afterward had suffered several strokes. I did not read about him having a recent stroke these last few weeks. On a personal note, the Flu has hit our family very badly this year. My aunt in Minnesota died in January from the Flu and we are actually attending her Celebration of Life next week. And although we do not yet have the official Cause of Death back yet from the Los Angeles County Coroner yet, my sister who was only 59, is suspected of dying of the Flu just last month on March 7th. Harry Anderson could have also been yet another victim of this awful, awful Flu this year as well.

Rest in peace, Harry Anderson, you will be missed.
    Wonderful story GeekyGirl and you are a lucky person.

Just so I don't have to recopy it, yes, cool story. That would have been a memorable evening.

"BEEP BEEP RICHIE!" loved him, IT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RIP Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post

I saw Harry's Death Certificate on another website and it turns out the Flu was a contributing factor. WTF!
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Cause of death was a stroke brought on by the flu and heart disease. Death certificate attached.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/24/night-...h-certificate/

27. 04-25-2018, 07:22 PM

Knew it was a stroke on Wednesday last week. I have sources.

I had had to take my time to log in for this. I really did. And, I am actually crying right now.

Harry was my first favorite actor. My first celeb crush. I actually have a type because of the weird crush I had on him as a four year old kiddo watching Night Court every week.

I am heartbroken. Just completely heartbroken. This is the worst a celebrity death has ever hit me.

I feel so bad for his wife and kids. (His kids are not much older than me...too young to lose a parent in your 30s)

Been kinda celebrating his life. He was my Mel Tormé.

Watching some Night Court right now as catharsis. Still surreal feeling. Still hurting.

It it also gets me that he died almost 23 years since my dad passed. We always watched Dave's World together.

Rest In Peace you magical being.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 04-26-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Dr. Fishhead,
    Harry's and Alan Rickman 's deaths devastated me, too. Both were like a hard punch in the stomach. I had read that Harry had some strikes prior to the one that killed him.
    Did you see Harry in the TV adaptation of "Harvey" ? He was simply brilliant as Elwood P. Dowd.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Oh no.
    Loved Harry on Night Court, and loved his magic acts.

Saw him do a bit one time where he stuck a big hat pin through his forearm and was moving it back and forth with blood trickling down his arm.
    Some in the audience were freaking out, "It's a trick, people!" he said grinning.

RIP, Harry.
    I lovedlovedloved Night Court as a kid. Also, I had no idea that he lived in my hometown. I'm kinda hoping there will be an estate auction and that I find out about it in time. If so, you know I'll grab something for you, Jim.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ad nauseam View Post
    I lovedlovedloved Night Court as a kid. Also, I had no idea that he lived in my hometown. I'm kinda hoping there will be an estate auction and that I find out about it in time. If so, you know I'll grab something for you, Jim.
    A big, bloody hat pin, one of his hats, or maybe a tooth would be perfect, P.