Thread: The Night Stalker (TV Show)

onehunglow Guest

The Night Stalker (TV Show)

WOW! Now that was great TV.

One of my faves growing up. My favorite episodes were the one about the hollywood hooker vampire and the one about the hindu shapeshifter beast. I think it was called the sisraka.

ComputerGuy Guest
    I have the DVD Series. The Theme Music is very haunting. Too bad there was only 22 or 23 episodes ever taped

Nik Guest
    I never got to see the series, but the two movies were fantastic!

Snoopy Guest
    I loved this show! Darrin McGavin was the best...I tried to watch it when they brought it back a couple of years ago but for me there was only one Kolchak! although I did like in the first episode when they put Darrin digitally into one of the scenes..that was a nice tribute to him!

SW4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    I have the DVD Series. The Theme Music is very haunting. Too bad there was only 22 or 23 episodes ever taped
    CG, I remember the series well, but don't have it on DVD...what's the title of the ep where the newly-built hospital is being terrorised by a "spirit"? I know I'm spelling this incorrectly, but seem to remember the spirit was called "Matchimunito", or summat..

Cool Mr. R.I.N.G.

The one with the robot was a fave. Special effects of the amok robot were hillarious. I loved that show. The ABC attempt to resurrect it was a crap attempt.

radio_free_bg Guest
    I thought this thread was about Richard Ramirez.

Does anyone here remember Friday the 13th the series?

I used to watch the night Stalker with my brother and it would scare the bejeezus out of us! The one about underground Seattle still gives me the bugs!

Kathyf Guest
    I loved that show too. I remember staying up to watch it.

I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona and there was this VERY STRANGE older woman who was in one of my classes. People used to make fun of her because she was just so odd and would do and say totally bizarre stuff. One day she told us that she used to be married to Darin McGavin and no one believed her. The next day she brought in pictures that were obvious her and Darin from at least 20-30 years before and people were amazed. To this day, I remember her telling everyone that he was NOT a natural redhead and how disappointed she was on her wedding night to find that out. Definitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

But yes, I LOVED that show too. Scared the stuffing out of me, but I would never miss an episode.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radio_free_bg View Post

LOL Me too!!!

Jaxxx Guest
    Man i forgot about that series, loved it, will be looking for it now.

hoxharding Guest
    Darren was Kolchak and no one else was. I refused to watch the remake.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Darren was Kolchak and no one else was. I refused to watch the remake.
    I did watch a fw episodes of the new one, but they were just flat for me cause I loved the original.

"I'm Carl Kolchak of the I.N.S."

My favorite episode of the television series THE NIGHT STALKER was the one about the black zombie. Some mafiosa had murdered this big young black guy and his grandmother who was a voodoo priestess used black magic to bring him back to 'life' and kill his murderers. Kolchak learns that a zombie must rest in a graveyard. He looks all over Chicago til it dawns on him that the zombie is resting in an automobile graveyard. Kolchak goes to the 'auto graveyard' and finds the zombie 'resting' in the back of a old station wagon and climbs in so that he can 'put the zombie to permanent sleep'. While Kolchak is doing his thing, the voodoo priestess is doing her magic to awaken the zombie. Kolchak pours salt in the zombies mouth and just as he's getting ready to sew (shut) the mouth of the deteriorating zombie, the zombie's eyes open. Well, I must have been about 12 when I saw this originally, and man, I almost shit. Just the kind of stuff kids love.

CAROL LYNLEY and DARREN McGAVIN are shown here in a scene from the tv movie THE NIGHT STALKER (1972). This was one of ABC's Tuesday night 'Movie(s) Of The Week' shown at 8:30-10 p.m.

After the success of this tv movie, a sequel was made entitled
    THE NIGHT STRANGLER which if I recall correctly was about a man who lived in Seattle's underground. (There is a real honest to goodness city beneath the present day Seattle. When a fire destroyed much of the business district around 1890, they ended up building on top of the ruined portions. There are tours that you can take. Anyway, they used that real scenario for their phony storyline.) The killer in the movie was well over 100 years old & he needed to create a serum every X years in order to remain young. The serum of course required the blood of young women, so every 20 years or so this man had to kill a dozen women to make his youth elixir. One of those killed was NINA WAYNE who played an airheaded stripper (the role she was born to play !!! ) who has a hulking dyke of a girlfriend. Kolchak befriends JoAnn Pflug and gets her to act as bait so that he can trap the killer. At the movie's climax, Kolchak and the killer are both in the underground city. I think that the killer had maintained his home below the current Seattle to look like it had in 1890 or whenever his murder spree began. Really creepy. I haven't seen this film aired at all since it was on 35 years ago. The first one yes, but not the second one.

Actor SIMON OAKLAND played
    Kolchak's bully of a boss Tony Vincenzo

RUTH McDEVITT played the sweet elderly
    Miss Emily who worked at the I.N.S. too
    writing a column for the lovelorn

Remember the fey drippy uptight guy named Ron who worked in the I.N.S. office who was always getting so upset over nothing ? God, those shows, though silly, were lots of fun to watch weren't they ?

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

"I'm Carl Kolchak of the I.N.S."

Kolchak goes to the 'auto graveyard' and finds the zombie 'resting' in the back of a old station wagon and climbs in so that he can 'put the zombie to permanent sleep'. While Kolchak is doing his thing, the voodoo priestess is doing her magic to awaken the zombie. Kolchak pours salt in the zombies mouth and just as he's getting ready to sew (shut) the mouth of the deteriorating zombie, the zombie's eyes open. Well, I must have been about 12 when I saw this originally, and man, I almost shit. Just the kind of stuff kids love.
    What a great picture of him. And I loved your comment about almost shitting. Did that myself a couple of times. From what I remember, at least in LA, the series originally came on in the evenings on Saturdays, maybe 10:00 p.m.?

I just remember my Mom and Dad and Aunt and Uncle playing bridge in the kitchen and I would run in there and hide my eyes when things would get too scary for me. My Auntie Gloria was always the best, she'd say things like, "Oh my, a zombie and his eyes opened??? I would be scared too!" Unlike my older sister and cousins who would be calling me lame for almost peeing my pants. The best part of the evening would be eating chocolate mint chip ice cream and homemade brownies as the ending credits rolled across the screen. Alas, the world was safe from zombies again, at least for another week!

Kellycatt1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radio_free_bg View Post

I remember Friday the 13th series.
    They still show it on one cable station. I catch it every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    The one with the robot was a fave. Special effects of the amok robot were hillarious. I loved that show. The ABC attempt to resurrect it was a crap attempt.
    That it was.

The great thing about a show like that is that it had so many layers and the scripts were brilliant.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Jazbabee Guest
    I loved th original. Tried to watch the new one, but found it dull. Funny, the new one just kinda faded away after a short time !

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    OMG, I am going to have to ask Santa for the DVD. I think this series was ahead of its time. Put it on FOX or the WB and it would kick ass in anything it came up against.

hoxharding Guest
    He was also on an episode or two of Millenium, he played Frank Black's father. There is an excellent Christmas episode of Millenium with Darren in it.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Thanks for the info. To Hell with Santa, I just ordered them for myself right now... and copies for my sister for Christmas! Will have to include some Chocolate Mint Chip Ice Cream and Brownies with hers.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Thanks for the info. To Hell with Santa, I just ordered them for myself right now... and copies for my sister for Christmas! Will have to include some Chocolate Mint Chip Ice Cream and Brownies with hers.
    AWESOME, another "Kolchak" freak!! Amazon.com should start giving me a commission LOL...!

aLiLdirt Guest
    "The Trevi Collection" episode from Kolchak: The Night Stalker literally scared the crap out of me as a child, (spoiler alert) due to the mannequins that 'come to life.' As a young adult, I worked with countless mannequins whilst doing display work and I was thankfully only mildly creeped out by them.
    Had the full series set on dvd and stupidly left it at the home of an ex. Really need to re-order that set. It's on my list...

havoc Guest
    GREAT show! As a kid, that and Night Gallery were the BEST!

I gotta get the DVD'S!!!!

Starstruck Guest
    My brother and I loved loved loved loved that show!!!!!! It was so scary! My fave episode was the headless motorbike rider with the sword, OMG!!!