Thread: The Irascible 'Mother Dexter' Judith Lowry 1890-1976

The Irascible 'Mother Dexter' Judith Lowry 1890-1976

JUDITH LOWRY

She was born JUDITH IVES in 1890, the daughter of a surgeon; sources vary as to whether her birthplace was Morristown, N.J. or Ft. Sill, OK. She began her acting career on the stage around 1916, but retired a little more than 10 years later once she married RUDD LOWRY whom she (had) met while entertaining the troops during WWI, around 1918. They had 9 children. She resumed her acting career in the mid 40s once her children were near grown. Initially, she was merely playing non-speaking roles as older women on film, but once her charming, gregarious personality became known, it gave the small elderly frail white haired grandmother an entire additional aspect to her repetiore: She would excell at playing the sharp tongued funny old lady. You'd expect her to be like 90 year old grandmother, and then she'd surprise the shit out of you with her sharp barbs. She was cast in two more stage plays: JB in 1958 which ran for near a year and then in 1966 she was cast in THE CAUCASIAN CHALK CIRCLE. The latter lasted about 3 months before it was closed.

LOWRY faired better in Hollywood: She played old deaf Sister Prudence in THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS (1966), another non-speaking role as (Anne Welles') Aunt Amy in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (1967), funny as hell as Odie in COLD TURKEY among other film roles. She capped off her career with her most memorable role, that being as Mother Dexter on the television show PHYLLIS which was a spin-off from THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. The character of Mother Dexter was so well received that it was changed to being a recurring part. While walking in Greenwich Village on November 29th, 1976, JUDITH LOWRY dropped dead of a sudden heart attack. Her final episode on PHYLLIS aired in December. On it, her character marries her 92 year old boyfriend Arthur played by BURT MUSTIN, who died just months later in 1977. LOWRY is buried at Long Island National Cemetery in Farmingdale, New York.

Tebssis Guest
    Kelt, you post some of the most awesome actors! Loved this woman on Phyllis and in the Trouble with Angels. Her sharp tounged wit was hilarious especially coming from such a sweet old face.

Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    Kelt, you post some of the most awesome actors! Loved this woman on Phyllis and in the Trouble with Angels. Her sharp tounged wit was hilarious especially coming from such a sweet old face.

And remember her fondness for Charles Bronson?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaBlair View Post
    And remember her fondness for Charles Bronson?
    I'd forgotten about that; you're right ! It was funny to see that (very old looking) 80 something year old woman proclaiming her 'lust' from BRONSON. (She looked 110.)

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Forgot all about her.

Great story!

I found this clip of the late JUDITH LOWRY on YouTUBE.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H7oNep3f2I
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Guest Guest
    Kudos to you KELT, she was one actress I knew little about but watched a lot of her roles. Thanks.

angelo's ghost Guest
    She was favorite on that show,the main reason I watched it. So cute, I just wanted to squeeze her. Don't like her tombstone tho. Pretty sad when all your left with is being known for being "His Wife".

sablegsd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo's ghost View Post
    She was favorite on that show,the main reason I watched it. So cute, I just wanted to squeeze her. Don't like her tombstone tho. Pretty sad when all your left with is being known for being "His Wife".

Gotta agree with you on this. Doesn't even acknowledge she was a mother. Odd.

Elizabeth Guest

Kelt....

Kelt, I am always impressed with your posts....you are always so knowledgeable!!! Thanks so much!!!

simon69 Guest
    Kelt, great find? I remember her from my childhood, especially in the movie "Cold Turkey" she was a hoot! Reminds me of shades of Estelle Getty.

I located these shots of LOWRY from 1970 . . . .

in New York City 1970

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

JUDITH LOWRY

She was born JUDITH IVES in 1890, the daughter of a surgeon; sources vary as to whether her birthplace was Morristown, N.J. or Ft. Sill, OK. She began her acting career on the stage around 1916, but retired a little more than 10 years later once she married RUDD LOWRY whom she (had) met while entertaining the troops during WWI, around 1918. They had 9 children. She resumed her acting career in the mid 40s once her children were near grown.

Hiya Kelt, as always, fantastic post!

For some odd reason, the dates here leap out at me though.

She was born in 1890, and began her acting career around 1916--so she was 26, right? Met/married Rudd around 1918. Say she pops out 9 kids, starting in 1919--that brings us to 1927 (she's 37, and her youngest would be just a toddler).

She resumes her acting career in her mid 40's? Her littlest would only be 7 years old, no?

I have no idea why I'm even wondering about this, but there it is. Hokay, maybe there were a couple of sets of twins/triplets in thar? I dunno.

But I don't mean to detract from a fantastic post. Thanks!!

kitty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

djdeath-hag Guest
    No matter to me about the possible lapses in her bio/career; this old gal was amazing! Thanks for this thread....and may she R.I.P. What a hoot she was!

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo's ghost View Post
    We have several of these in our cemetery I find it charmingly old fashioned. It's probably a family plot with a big ole Ives or Lowery momument. f you look at the marker just behind it says; "his wife and son..." I would guess from the style the marker is much older than 1976 the marker may have been made years before to match her husband's, the style is pre-depression era very clean and simple. I love it.