Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Papa John Phillips

HippieMama Guest

Papa John Phillips

Soooooooo . . .
    Let's take a little poll here. After all the things that John Phillips did, the drugs he took, the horrible parenting he exhibited, while also considering his music with the Mamas and the Papas and other bands, do you like him or not? Please feel free to expound.

NO MAMA CASS JOKES HERE!!!!!!!

firegilnotguns Guest
    Sure, I liked him enough to be like "oh, John Phillips died!" when he died, but not enough to be horribly upset or enough to think "good riddance!" so I suppose that goes into the category of "I like him." In any case, I like the Mamas and the Papas! :P

Definitely. He was no poster child for good behavior, but I adore the music.

HippieMama Guest
    It just made me so angry that he and Mackenzie went on their born-again tour post-rehab and were still drugging up in their dressing rooms right after the performances . . . I saw an interview with Michelle Phillips once and she said that drugs were readily available in their home and out in the open, easy for Mackenzie (poor thing, I do love her!) to get at. I feel a little sorry for him that Michelle was screwing Denny behind his back, how awful and humiliating that must have felt . . . but possibly payback for screwing an underage Michelle while still married to his wife.
    But God, oh God, the music . . .

yes. the music.

It sucks that Michelle - the LEAST talented slut of the group - is the only one left.

Did you know she fucked Roman Polanski? Michelle Phillips was not a fussy eater.

When John Phillips found out, he threatened to kill Roman. Cut (literally) to a few months later, guess who gets killed. Roman's wife and friends. Guess who Roman suspects... yessir. John Phillips.

Roman went so far as to break into John's car and steal his address book to match the handwriting in it to the PIG in Sharon's blood in the front door. It eventually fizzled, but what a crazy time. And a crazy cast of characters. Both Roman and John mention it in their autobiographies.

I liked Papa John. Thought it was really funny that he named his donated liver Flossy. When he was questioned about drinking after receiving a donated liver, he said that not drinking with a new liver would be like buying a Ferrari and not taking it out for a spin.

Cheers, Papa. I'll throw back another shot of Jack in your memory.

knothere Guest
    I'm glad my Daddy was boozer lol.

Eugenioinreno Guest

He should have wrote a children's book.....

Called "The little syringe that could"...And the moral of the story could be,Remember kiddies,don't share yer works"Great music though...

relander Guest
    Those were some crazy days i'll say!

knothere Guest
    hahahahhahha i know i can...... i know i can.......from the little syringe that cood

Yes, I agree that it's ironic that Michelle is the last one standing. I remember when Mama Cass died and I still get very upset when the ignorant joke about her death. John did give us some great music, but Cass was where it's at.

candleinthewind Guest
    Another talent ruined by drugs.

thedabara Guest
    Scott, I never knew about that Roman Polanski connection! Do you suppose John knew the crazy Manson or any of his "family"? What a story that would make!

goldil Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post

Did you know she fucked Roman Polanski? Michelle Phillips was not a fussy eater.
    If you've seen pictures of Bijou and Tam's mom, Geneviève Waïte (wife 3 of 4), well... John wasn't a fussy eater either. According to his autobiography, he and Michelle were about neck and neck in the title of Biggest Slut.

I loved their music and those incredible harmonies........but I also love reading about their misadventures. lol Out of the group, Cass Elliot was the one with the most impressive pipes. Her daughter Owen Vanessa is the mirror image of her (and reportedly has her mom's voice).

Sweet Tooth Guest
    What a waste of two perfectly good livers. Wish there was a better screening process, so that those who really need and deserve a liver would get one, instead of the rich and famous.

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    yes. the music.

It sucks that Michelle - the LEAST talented slut of the group - is the only one left.

When John Phillips found out, he threatened to kill Roman. Cut (literally) to a few months later, guess who gets killed. Roman's wife and friends. Guess who Roman suspects... yessir. John Phillips.

Roman went so far as to break into John's car and steal his address book to match the handwriting in it to the PIG in Sharon's blood in the front door. It eventually fizzled, but what a crazy time. And a crazy cast of characters. Both Roman and John mention it in their autobiographies.
    I remember reading that in Ed Sanders' The Family!

I USED to have, before the psychobitch from Hell stole it (long story, PM me for details, it makes a good story, and I never would have believed it if it didn't happen to me), a first-edition copy of The Family.

It's got to be the worst book ever written, in terms of literary value and writing style. But, it IS a fascinating read.

I really should read John's autobiography. I've read Michelle's (don't stone me for that one!), and probably should read John's.

I have several CDs, my parents wouldn't part with their LPs, lol, and listen to them in the car. We taught our daughter to sing along to The Mamas and The Papas when she was little, and she still likes them.

*sigh*

.......such a shame, that all that talent is gone......

i did'nt think the family was that bad. towards the end of the book,what gave me that chilling feeling,was what was manson doing in the time he was not accounted for.

i did;nt like the way john laughed. but he knew what he was doing musically.

motherogod Guest
    Yeah, Denny was the better catch of those two papas. I loved Cass, and would love to look into the crystal ball and see what her life would be like today. No doubt still working at making the world a little more beautiful.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
    What a waste of two perfectly good livers. Wish there was a better screening process, so that those who really need and deserve a liver would get one, instead of the rich and famous.
    in the words of the GREATEST philosopher of our time, Mr. Arthur Fonzarelli, "exactamundo!!!!"

alexmack Guest
    Love Him! Miss Him!!

xenaswolf Guest
    Saw Mackenzie on tv the other night. She's looking like death warmed over!

auguststar Guest
    I've been a huge The Mamas & The Papas for as long as I can remember. My mom listened to the records from the time I was born. Regardless of what they've done in their personal lives, the music is enough to make me sad that there's just one left.

onehunglow Guest
    I loved the songs and since I have no attachment to them, no feelings either way. If I had the chance to plug a good looking babe like Michelle I'd been all over her myself. Live hard, rock hard and die happy.

MoJo67 Guest
    Love the music. Interesting to me that four such diverse individuals made it work so well.

candleinthewind Guest
    I watched an A&E biography of Cass Elliot and was blown away by her talent. I was already familiar with her solo work and of course the recordings with the Mamas and Papas but her early folk music was awesome. She used to be with a group called the Mugwumps and they had a following and made tv appearances. She was such a presence and according to everyone, the life of the party.

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Now there's one that I thought would have turned up on FAD before now! At the rate she was going at one time, I didn't figure it would be long. I'm assuming she is still alive but heavily medicated nowadays?

I really enjoy listening to his songs. His first solo album (The Wolfking of L.A.) is great. Such a shame he did too many drugs...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth

in the words of the GREATEST philosopher of our time, Mr. Arthur Fonzarelli, "exactamundo!!!!"
    I have to jump in here slightly off-topic. The rich, famous, poor, or just simply annoying all have an equal chance at the time one is listed as a recipient. It is a double blind donation - the donor family doesn't know who receives the organ(s) and the recipient doesn't know the donor. More importantly UNOS (the team that determines who gets the next available organ) only sees a number - not a name.

As far as getting the liver, he was well screened before and the fact that he lived 16 years with the new liver was proof that he took the donation seriously. As a heart transplant recipient, I understand full well what he went through and at the end of the day, many of us are judged by how long we can remain healthly. He greatly exceeded the average for liver recipients and therefore, have no problem that he received the organ.

i'm reading "Papa John" currently. interesting read.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

star82 Guest
    I like John Phillips. Great song writer.

Mackenzie Phillips said that she used to play with "water guns" which were her Dad's drug needles! HA!

Irishlass Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Time has not been kind to her thats for sure..did you see her on Cold Case?

Noelle Page Guest
    Just finished reading an article about Michelle Phillips in Vanity Fair. She has a weird connection to the Black Dahlia murder:
    http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...?currentPage=1

The article also mentions John had a different biodad than the one he grew up with, but does not elaborate. Anyone know about this?

And it also says Keith Richards once had to kick John and Genevieve out of his house, because of their drug use--lol!

I once said hello to John in Washington Square Park, NYC, causing him to hightail it in the other direction.
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 12-20-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Just finished reading an article about Michelle Phillips in Vanity Fair. She has a weird connection to the Black Dahlia murder:

The article also mentions John had a different biodad than the one he grew up with, but does not elaborate. Anyone know about this?

And it also says Keith Richards once had to kick John and Genevieve out of his house, because of their drug use--lol!

I once said hello to John in Washington Square Park, NYC, causing him to hightail it in the other direction.
    Wow - - I never knew that. Thanks for the link.

lois steeme Guest
    I liked Papa John. I've seen a documentary about The Mamas and Papas several times; I'm sure most people here have seen it. I watch it every time it's on.

lois steeme Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    I watched an A&E biography of Cass Elliot and was blown away by her talent. I was already familiar with her solo work and of course the recordings with the Mamas and Papas but her early folk music was awesome. She used to be with a group called the Mugwumps and they had a following and made tv appearances. She was such a presence and according to everyone, the life of the party.
    I loved Cass Elliott, she was my favourite of the four Mamas and Papas by far. I still often hum "Dream A Little Dream Of Me" -- I loved listening to Mama Cass sing it. Could she belt out a tune! I should go and look to see if it's on You Tube.

Danny62 Guest
    I just watched an interview of him on the new Jimi Hendrix at Monterey Documentary!

He didn't look good, I wonder when it was filmed because you could tell he wasn't doing good!! You could tell Death was just around the corner!

Looked like a skeleton in the face!

I always associate "The mamas and the Papas" with the summer of love!

I think him and Mackenzie both went to rehab together to get clean?

MorbidMolly Guest
    I have a serious problem with Papa John.....there aren`t many celebs that truly disgust me, most just make me cringe, but what he did to his kid is beyond fucked-up , in my humble opinion.....some of the greatest harmonies ever to grace our lives, but a real shit-head in all other areas....I understand addiction is a disease, but for the love of God, some of the things that kid went through were atrocious.....and he always seemed so swarmy to me.....flame away kids, but I have a feeling he ain`t singing where he`s at...

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    I have a serious problem with Papa John.....there aren`t many celebs that truly disgust me, most just make me cringe, but what he did to his kid is beyond fucked-up , in my humble opinion.....some of the greatest harmonies ever to grace our lives, but a real shit-head in all other areas....I understand addiction is a disease, but for the love of God, some of the things that kid went through were atrocious.....and he always seemed so swarmy to me.....flame away kids, but I have a feeling he ain`t singing where he`s at...
    Yes, he was a very selfish man. Admits as much in his bio, which is a great read. Tells about shooting up his own daughter, among other things.

1karenhb Guest
    I loved their music! I'm just surprised he lived as long as he did.

monroe27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone Tourist View Post
    I have to jump in here slightly off-topic. The rich, famous, poor, or just simply annoying all have an equal chance at the time one is listed as a recipient. It is a double blind donation - the donor family doesn't know who receives the organ(s) and the recipient doesn't know the donor. More importantly UNOS (the team that determines who gets the next available organ) only sees a number - not a name.

As far as getting the liver, he was well screened before and the fact that he lived 16 years with the new liver was proof that he took the donation seriously. As a heart transplant recipient, I understand full well what he went through and at the end of the day, many of us are judged by how long we can remain healthly. He greatly exceeded the average for liver recipients and therefore, have no problem that he received the organ.
    you had a heart transplant? Wow so did I when I was 13 years old. It gave me a whole new outlook on life. I don't really get to meet to many people who have had them. It's awesome, isn't it?

Loved the music and the feelings it invoked. Don't really care what a turd he was. If the music feels good I listen. I am no angel my own damn self.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    i so agree. Beyond fucked up is the least you can say about that.

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Loved the music and the feelings it invoked. Don't really care what a turd he was. If the music feels good I listen. I am no angel my own damn self.
    Yes I suppose his musical gift to us does help his karma somewhat. It's really just his kids who suffered.

mstee2u1972 Guest
    With all respect to the poster who received a heart transplant, I do have a problem with people like John Phillips receiving transplants that have abused their bodies for so many years. I guess you can say that organ transplants are a touchy subject for me. My mother died while being on the list for a kidney transplant. She had been on the list for over 10 years. While she did receive about 4 calls during this time for possible matches, it was always such a letdown when things did not pan out. It hurt me deeply to have to race her to the hospital when she paged, praying over and over in my head to the good Lord to please let this time be successful. Unfortunately, it was apparently never meant to be for her to receive a precious kidney, and she died 10 years ago at the young age of 49.

Please do not read my post and get what I'm saying confused-I do not ever wish death or any ill will towards anyone, especially in life and death matters such as this. However, if John Phillips were not a celebrity and had just been the average person, I would still feel the same way. I feel that it is amazing that people who do considerable damage to their bodies via excessive drinking (i.e. John Phillips and Larry Hagman) and drug taking are almost always given a second chance at life via a transplant. And yes, I do think celebrity status does influence how soon these people receive organs-I don't care what experts say, that these people don't get preferential treatment because of their status. Baloney. You can't explain to me how some celeb wil be on ET or one of the enterainment shows one day talking about how ill they are, then the next week we see that they have had the necessary life saving surgery. It still hurts my heart to this day that my mother and others like her died waiting endlessly on an organ donor list. That's why I have it indicated on my driver's license that I am an organ donor. Hopefully when I pass on, that will help some people get the needed gift of life.

Noelle Page Guest
    That;s very sad. John should have realized the precious gift he got, but that just shows you how far gone he was.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mstee2u1972 View Post
    With all respect to the poster who received a heart transplant, I do have a problem with people like John Phillips receiving transplants that have abused their bodies for so many years. I guess you can say that organ transplants are a touchy subject for me. My mother died while being on the list for a kidney transplant. She had been on the list for over 10 years. While she did receive about 4 calls during this time for possible matches, it was always such a letdown when things did not pan out. It hurt me deeply to have to race her to the hospital when she paged, praying over and over in my head to the good Lord to please let this time be successful. Unfortunately, it was apparently never meant to be for her to receive a precious kidney, and she died 10 years ago at the young age of 49.

Please do not read my post and get what I'm saying confused-I do not ever wish death or any ill will towards anyone, especially in life and death matters such as this. However, if John Phillips were not a celebrity and had just been the average person, I would still feel the same way. I feel that it is amazing that people who do considerable damage to their bodies via excessive drinking (i.e. John Phillips and Larry Hagman) and drug taking are almost always given a second chance at life via a transplant. And yes, I do think celebrity status does influence how soon these people receive organs-I don't care what experts say, that these people don't get preferential treatment because of their status. Baloney. You can't explain to me how some celeb wil be on ET or one of the enterainment shows one day talking about how ill they are, then the next week we see that they have had the necessary life saving surgery. It still hurts my heart to this day that my mother and others like her died waiting endlessly on an organ donor list. That's why I have it indicated on my driver's license that I am an organ donor. Hopefully when I pass on, that will help some people get the needed gift of life.

AWESOME, AWESOME POST..........I`m so sorry about your mom, and I TOTALLY understand where your coming from....it infuriates me everytime a celeb gets a new body part, after abusing the one`s they had.......or when their in their 90`s and it`s time to go anyway, but that money sure does talk.....it`s crap, plain and simple.....and before people start screaming there has to be a perfect match, seems to me that match comes a lot quicker when there`s hard cash involved......and congrats to our members who have had transplants.....what a wonderful thing to be given

mstee2u1972 Guest
    Thank you MorbidMolly for your kind comments. It really helps to be able to talk things like this out in order to add a different perspective to the organ donation/transplantation issue. I too am truly glad for the posters who received the necessary transplants that have extended their lives and quality of life. I know it truly means a lot to them and their families.
    There was a case recently in the news where CIGNA insurance company refused to pay for a transplant for a teenaged girl who needed a new liver. What infuriated me about this story is the day they FINALLY decided to approve the surgery, the girl died. Money talks and BS walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post

Wow, incredible read. It really covered the 60s music people and some of the studs at that time.

smt Guest

John Phillips-Mamas and the Papas

what a great talent. they are my favorite 60's group. Its really a fasicnating stoy about their whole group dynamic. Michelle Phillips is the only surviving member. Her autobiography is a good read.