Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 30373839404148 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 3143

Thread: Christine Chubbuck

The weatherman dude who worked at WXLT left a comment on his YouTube video:

"It is unfortunate that those who have a morbid curiosity about Ms. Chubbuck continue to harp for a glimpse of her work. She was my friend and displayed no signs of the mental illness that lead to her suicide on a public stage that had young children watching. Since her work as a journalist and broadcaster was unremarkable not only by today's standards, but by those outside the tiny Sarasota market of 1974, I can only assume anyone's interest in her video is due to her tragic death. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uer93GVkKY

D'oh. Thanks, buddy! With friends like that, who needs an enema?

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    D'oh. Thanks, buddy! With friends like that, who needs an enema?
    Yeah leave it to a weatherman to rain on your parade.

I think I'll look elsewhere for my moral guidance.

Quint Guest
    I've got some pics from her high school year book, if anyone's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    I've got some pics from her high school year book, if anyone's interested.
    Hi Quint! I remember seeing some yearbook pics of Christine (not sure if HS or College) somewhere on this long, long, thread. I say post them, even if they are dupes, I would think newcomers would like to see them instead of wading way upstream to find them. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nansei View Post

"It is unfortunate that those who have a morbid curiosity about Ms. Chubbuck continue to harp for a glimpse of her work. She was my friend and displayed no signs of the mental illness that lead to her suicide on a public stage that had young children watching. Since her work as a journalist and broadcaster was unremarkable not only by today's standards, but by those outside the tiny Sarasota market of 1974, I can only assume anyone's interest in her video is due to her tragic death. "

Ouch. That wasn't a very nice thing to say about his one-time colleague. Even in death, the media is cut throat.

Seagorath Guest
    That weatherman guy needs to go on vacation (for 20 years)... Thanks for posting that, Nansei!

Quote Originally Posted by Nansei View Post

Raquel Vega Guest
    Hi, I saw this on an episode of unsolved Mysteries once, and found the story heart breaking.
    I don't know about being a death hag, but I'd guess you'd have to be real desperate to shoot yourself on TV.
    I also read that she had a macabre sense of humor, as well as an absurd sense of humor.
    Stuff like sense of humor is kind of subjective. Isn't it? I think we've all done or said things that were stupid, and later we don't necessarily want others to see them again.
    Maybe since she won't have a chance to ask for that not to happen, her family asks for that.
    I'd see it if it were made available. On the count that Iā??ve always been a student of people,
    >> How they work, what makes them tickā?¦?
    I think it takes a special person to take time and go to the hospital as she regularly did.
    How long had she been doing that? Did she stop, or did that ward close down. Iā??d heard somewhere it had. I suspect as some people did here, that there was more going on in that family then they let on.
    There usually is.
    I agree with someone on here who said the situation is reminiscent of the musician Karen Carpenter.
    Are there any books about Christine?
    Thanks for reading.

Nico2012 Guest
    Hello to everybody

First of all, congratulations to all, for all the years spent looking for the video of Christine Chubbuck.

I found this site, because i was searching for the history of Christine, and the details of it.

If i can help in this search, please let me know

Best Regards

Nico2012 Guest
    Some ideas:

Hello to everybody again

I was thinking in find the way to access the footage

The police, following the procedures should have to take photos of Christine after she died. Maybe that photos still exists.

One way to see the footage, is form a big group of people who want to watch a documentary, or a film about the life of Christine Chubbuck, gathering signatures or signing petitions online.

With this, the producers will know that there is interest in hearing this. I think the possibility would exist at least see some chapters of Suncoast Digest, unreleased material, video and even suicide.

At least, even in the documentary, or movie could shoot a scene about how was the moment of suicide.

As a film lover, I think a movie about Christine, would be very interesting in so many ways

Looks like today's a sad anniversary for the Chubbuck family...I found this reminder on a blog I love ("A Geek's First Journal," which is a blog of entries taken from the author's adolescent diary of 1974):

http://1974geeksfirstjournal.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    That weatherman guy needs to go on vacation (for 20 years)... Thanks for posting that, Nansei!
    Actually the weatherman's words is sadly quite common. For almost 20 years I had worked in broadcasting ( radio ). Of course I worked beside many many many people. I left the biz about 4 years ago and even though many of my former workers are still in broadcasting, only TWO I still have contact with while the others...well let's just say I can run into them in public ( store, restaurant, the movies...etc...) and other than a small hello, we really have no other contact with each other and it's not my choice but that is the way it is. This is one reason why so many for one reason or another who decides to leave broadcasting only to discover its very difficult to get back into it. Almost like being in a club, once you leave you may not be invited to re-join. Yeah...it is such a strange business.

But with that being said, while the words weren't "nice" at least the weatherman acknowledged Chubbuck . He could very well just simply ignored her totally.

Starstruck Guest
    Darn I always get excited when this story pops up to the top of the list, ooooo someone found the video!!
    But no sadly

I am such a death hag

zedstarchild Guest
    I hate to say it but I just don't see any way we'll ever get to view this footage. Plain and simple. Nonetheless her story is especially tragic and haunting, as is the case with anyone who commits suicide especially at a young age, who it appears died without having experienced a lot of things everyone wants and some take for granted. I have to think that at some point it would have turned around for her, but in the culture of the time where a woman doing news or in broadcasting was simply a curiosity, 30 was considered a spinster, and her own personal quirks just didn't seem understood anyway, I can see how she followed this path. Just so sad.

lobosco107 Guest
    I think of all the great threads and stories on this board. I find myself checking back to this one most of all. I must have read all 40 plus pages twice now. Sad story.

Loisxoxo Guest
    I found this thread a long time ago and I enjoyed reading it, but I never had an acount here.. Well tonight is one of my sleepless nights and I decided to join in on this search!! I'll use my job to my advantage and try to find anything on Christine. But I agree with Zedstarchild, there probably isn't a way we'll find the footage of Christine killing herself, (I actually don't have any intentions on wanting to see it) but I do think we should try to find all footage of her broadcasts. It's a shame that they've never released any of it..
    I have connections to many, many things. One of them being police documents! I can try to get photos or something on Christine, I can't make any promises though. I'm a psychic/cold case investigator, so I'll try anything I can to help out on this forum! I'll start sending out emails to other investigators and get them to help me. I won't give up until the public atleast releases a new picture of her!! Thats the least we could ask for.

Lets get this thread up and alive again!!!

I could swear that I've seen the actual footage before. It was on one of those sites that also had the footage of Budd Dwyer. Sticks out in my memory because I was on the phone with a (now ex) friend at the time and he sent me a link to both videos and we discussed them over the phone.

Whatever would possess a bright young person like her to kill herself. On air no less, is unknown. I just think she was sick of it all and snapped.

Her case has fascinated me for a long time. And, I often wonder if her on air suicide inspired one of my favorite films. Network.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 07-23-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    I could swear that I've seen the actual footage before. It was on one of those sites that also had the footage of Budd Dwyer. Sticks out in my memory because I was on the phone with a (now ex) friend at the time and he sent me a link to both videos and we discussed them over the phone.

Whatever would possess a bright young person like her to kill herself. On air no less, is unknown. I just think she was sick of it all and snapped.

Her case has fascinated me for a long time. And, I often wonder if her on air suicide inspired one of my favorite films. Network.
    My understanding was that "Network" was inspired at least in part by Chubbuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Loisxoxo View Post
    I'm a psychic/cold case investigator
    Can you tell us where the footage IS? heheh

I also doubt we'll ever see it.

20. 07-30-2012, 04:00 AM

Cambino Guest
    She is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. And she sounds like a lovely person. I just wish I'd been around at the time and lived in the same town, I would've gone out for her for sure. So unfair how bad things happen to good people.

Martian Guest
    I'm new here and don't feel like going through all 50 pages. Has anyone found the tape yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    I'm new here and don't feel like going through all 50 pages. Has anyone found the tape yet?
    Nope, we're all still looking...

I think if the tape is ever found it will be such a let down. I think it's best that it never sees the light of day. That makes it much more interesting than the footage probably is.

Like I said. I swear I've seen the video before. And, it was exactly how Sally Quinn described it.

After the bullet hit her was so violent. It was seriously gruesome.

I also remember another detail about where I saw the video. It was on a foreign non-us site. It was there with Dwyer's and various other gore videos. I was talking to a friend at the time on the phone and he gave me the name of the website to type in. But, I cannot remember for the life of me what it was. This was around 2009 anyways. So, who knows if it would still even be up.

I wish someone would do a stage play on her life and death. I seriously do.

Also. I still don't see how she couldn't get a man. She was hot in a very mysterious way. And, this is coming from a straight woman.

I told my friend about this case the other night. Since he's kind of a death hag himself. Told him that next time I'm over I'm bringing my DVD of Network. Since it's obvious that the movie is based off of the Chubbock story.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 08-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Also. Does anyone have a link to the Boulevard Of Broken Dreams special that still works?

Help.

Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    Like I said. I swear I've seen the video before. And, it was exactly how Sally Quinn described it.

After the bullet hit her was so violent. It was seriously gruesome.

I also remember another detail about where I saw the video. It was on a foreign non-us site. It was there with Dwyer's and various other gore videos. I was talking to a friend at the time on the phone and he gave me the name of the website to type in. But, I cannot remember for the life of me what it was. This was around 2009 anyways. So, who knows if it would still even be up.

I wish someone would do a stage play on her life and death. I seriously do.

Also. I still don't see how she couldn't get a man. She was hot in a very mysterious way. And, this is coming from a straight woman.

I told my friend about this case the other night. Since he's kind of a death hag himself. Told him that next time I'm over I'm bringing my DVD of Network. Since it's obvious that the movie is based off of the Chubbock story.

Yes toddmanning, the video is was definitely out there at some point in time, because I too have seen it. I don't have any idea what site it was on, however I sure do recall, and very vividly, seeing Christine slide down under the anchor desk. From what I remember, it was obviously extremely shocking but speaking only for myself, not that gruesome....it was very fast and she slid down out of sight before I ever saw much of the aftermath. Wowza.....

It drives me CRAZY knowing that several of us have seen this and now we can't find the footage anywhere.....we sure aren't imagining that we saw it!

BTW, I truly enjoy reading your fantastic posts on so many topics and threads.....I too am a soap fan and definitely miss OLTL.....watched it for decades and am SO happy that Todd, Starr, John and a few other characters' stories are continuing on GH. Glad that the REAL Todd finally made it back on the air.....fake Todd was lame!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post

It drives me CRAZY knowing that several of us have seen this and now we can't find the footage anywhere.....we sure aren't imagining that we saw it!
    Why is it that I am thinking that whoever had the Chubbuck death clip online must've received some email/letter from some damn lawyer, got spooked and took it down. Come to think of it about ten years ago there was a guy who had some kind tribute site for local Florida television. As i can recall he had lots of clips including some local Miami television dating to the 50's. Not sure if he had any Chubbuck clips ( I wasn't into death back then LOL ) but he sure had many many old clips from her old TV station.

...then one day he had received a letter from a lawyer who had tracked down his ISP address over the use of one of the clips. Despite all of us telling him to overlook that letter......he shut down his site anyway and we haven't heard a peep from him ever since. Believe more/less the same thing had happened to the Nashville TV tribute site.

I saw it on a gore site as well I can still hear her saying that line "In keeping with the ..(something about blood and guts.) So it was out there at one time.

Yeah. We're not imagining seeing this. It was around.

Sucks that it cannot be found now. The FCC stinks! *channeling that Family Guy song about the FCC*

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Everytime I hear the song "Dirty Laundry" I think about Mrs. Chubbuck...
    Me too! So much so...I had to add a verse to my sig from the song.

There's at least a small piece of footage of Chubbuck presenting a program, as seen at 3:49 in this YouTube clip:

Also shown here at 5:00:

Quote Originally Posted by Cambino View Post
    She is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. And she sounds like a lovely person. I just wish I'd been around at the time and lived in the same town, I would've gone out for her for sure. So unfair how bad things happen to good people.
    Wow. How many women have you seen? I mean, she wasn't bad looking, but...

35. 08-19-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Michael555 View Post
    If someone would just REMEMBER the name of the site, damn it! lol. It would make things so much easier.
    Also, not to be skeptical, but wasn't there a reenactment that was floating around for a while? I'm not going to go back through 50 pages right now, but I seem to remember that.

If someone would just REMEMBER the name of the site, damn it! lol. It would make things so much easier.
    The only website that I went to was orgish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Also, not to be skeptical, but wasn't there a reenactment that was floating around for a while? I'm not going to go back through 50 pages right now, but I seem to remember that.
    As far as I know there wasn't.

39. 08-20-2012, 01:03 PM

It hasn't been released...

I was thinking about this thread today. Could it be possible that a THIRD party had taped this broadcast and its somewhere in private collection ?? Of course VCRs as we know them weren't around in 1974 but personal video tape recorders , the reel to reel ones known as VTR as seen in the movie Auto-Focus were. Maybe few if any private homes had them in 74 but a good many of schools & colleges did as they were usually to tape programs from the local PBS channel to be played in class or to do their own programming for example early personal VTR video of Rod Serling and Moe Howard still exists, taped on campus. Local city and county governments and perhaps some of those non-profit groups I am pretty sure had at least one VTR too, Could they had taped this show if the guest Chubbuck was to interview had to do with them?

The show was being recorded at Chubbuck's specific request - her family believe that she did so because she expected the footage to be shown around the country.

No-one seems to recall who the guest was - could have been a local official of some sort, business person, teacher, who knows?

U-matic (or BVU) cassette machines were also around at that time, although I couldn't say whether WXLT had one. They'd certainly be a vastly more viable option for recording the show for a guest - the original tape would be a 2" quadruplex reel, which would only be replayable on TV station equipment (the machines were the size of a large refrigerator). From that original, the station could have dubbed a copy onto a U-matic tape for the guest, who may have had access to a machine (after all, why ask for a copy if you don't have the means of playing it?).

BUT... as the guest didn't actually appear (Chubbuck shot herself at the start, and the rest of the show was abandoned), I doubt that a copy would have been made for him / her by WXLT. It's at least possible that a copy may have been made for the FCC, but I can't remember ever seeing any reference to one (which doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course!).

Problem with videotapes - of all types, but especially 2" quad and U-matic - is that they deteriorate; transferring them can be very difficult, as many need to be baked before being able to be used. Even if the original 2" reel exists, and the family decided to make it available (which I can't see happening after all this time), the footage may not be recoverable...

It does sound as if the author of this piece saw the video: http://www.manship2.lsu.edu/perkins/...hubbucknew.pdf

lobosco107 Guest
    I have been fascinated with the Christine Chubbuck story since I read about it on here. It is sad that there is not much info or pics of her online.
    Aside from the suicide, there should be more about her. So I wrote a story on her for my blog. There is not much new in it, but I did call the Sarasota
    Police Dept and while they were annoyed they did answer my question about the video tape. Again there is nothing really new in this story but hopefully her memory will live on:

http://greatentertainersarchives.blo...y-in-news.html

I've looked in the forums and everyone says it's not available sooooo
    That is where I saw it, they must have had to pull it or something as that is the only gore site I remember going to. But I know I have seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keats View Post
    The show was being recorded at Chubbuck's specific request - her family believe that she did so because she expected the footage to be shown around the country.

No-one seems to recall who the guest was - could have been a local official of some sort, business person, teacher, who knows?

U-matic (or BVU) cassette machines were also around at that time, although I couldn't say whether WXLT had one. They'd certainly be a vastly more viable option for recording the show for a guest - the original tape would be a 2" quadruplex reel, which would only be replayable on TV station equipment (the machines were the size of a large refrigerator). From that original, the station could have dubbed a copy onto a U-matic tape for the guest, who may have had access to a machine (after all, why ask for a copy if you don't have the means of playing it?).

BUT... as the guest didn't actually appear (Chubbuck shot herself at the start, and the rest of the show was abandoned), I doubt that a copy would have been made for him / her by WXLT. It's at least possible that a copy may have been made for the FCC, but I can't remember ever seeing any reference to one (which doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course!).

Problem with videotapes - of all types, but especially 2" quad and U-matic - is that they deteriorate; transferring them can be very difficult, as many need to be baked before being able to be used. Even if the original 2" reel exists, and the family decided to make it available (which I can't see happening after all this time), the footage may not be recoverable...

It does sound as if the author of this piece saw the video: http://www.manship2.lsu.edu/perkins/...hubbucknew.pdf
    She did see it -- the writer of that article, Sally Quinn, saw it live.

Quote Originally Posted by lobosco107 View Post
    I have been fascinated with the Christine Chubbuck story since I read about it on here. It is sad that there is not much info or pics of her online.
    Aside from the suicide, there should be more about her. So I wrote a story on her for my blog. There is not much new in it, but I did call the Sarasota
    Police Dept and while they were annoyed they did answer my question about the video tape. Again there is nothing really new in this story but hopefully her memory will live on:
    Thank you for taking the time to call the Sarasota PD. This is a new piece of information and it does seem that no one involved with the investigation can get their story straight.

They origianlly said that they didn't have a copy, that WXLT had turned it over to the family along with Chris' personal effects and that the family destroyed the tape. When it was found out that the PD did have a copy, people were told that it was destroyed immediately after the investigation was completed, so that would have been in the mid-70's. Now they are saying that it was destroyed in the late 80's... so many stories! There's another rumor that it was sent to the FBI Training Center in Quantico, VI and is used in videos on dealing with suicide situations. Who really knows what really happened to it?

Would WXLT really make a copy for the family and turned it over to the family the same time they gave them her personal effects and say "Here's a copy of the tape in case you wanted to watch your daughter/sister off herself. Oh, and LE has a copy, too. And we have a copy in our vault (for wild party nights)." Seriously, how cruel would that be that 2 entities outside the family have copies?

Noe if it's true that it was destroyed in the mid-80's then now I can see how it's possible that a copy found it's way onto the Net and then subsequently yanked in the late 2000's when the story got more popular. At first I thought that people were confusing this with another story but now I see how this is entirely possible.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Quote Originally Posted by Keats View Post
    doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course!).

Problem with videotapes - of all types, but especially 2" quad and U-matic - is that they deteriorated

While this is true there is one exception..HOME video tapes such as VHS and Beta can survive for decades and decades, of course only if one takes care of them. In my collection I still have some old Betamax tapes from the mid 70's that my dad had made and they are still very watchable today ( yes still have a Betamax machine ). One such tape is a Dick Clark special taped off of NBC in 1978 complete with ads and a Jessica Savitch newsbreak. Very good quality almost as if it was taped just last week. Same with audio cassettes. One of my old co-workers in his collection has a cassette taped back in 1968 from New York City's long defunct WOR-FM ( back when they had called themselves "the big town sound" )..and its in STEREO. Last time I heard it was in 2007. The quality was so good it really did made the room feel like it was 1968 New York City,.

48. 09-10-2012, 11:21 PM

ladytinamarie Guest
    I positive I read somewhere that the family agreed not to sue if the station gave them the original copy and destroyed all the others and the family destroyed the tape. I believe this is true for one (no station wants a lawsuit) for two this explains why no one can get the footage released, even with the Freedom of Information Act. One last thing, someone said that her brother may have the tape. Seriously? You think her parents would keep that tape? I know we're all death hags but come one, would you keep a tape of your adult child putting a bullet through her brain? With that being said, I would really like to see the tape as well. I think nowadays we're all used to the media getting a hold of some footage and airing it, no matter what but we forget this happened in 1974, when there were no VCR's and being sued was still a big deal. I have to compliment you, you should be an investigative reporter or a PI, you do great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    After doing some extensive research on Christine Chubbuck's "lost footage" I discovered some interesting info...some of this I posted in one of the other threads earlier today. There seems to have been two original tapes of her suicide (which was broadcast LIVE, but was cut away as she slid down from her chair onto the floor). One of the tapes was kept by the owner or "head" of the station supposedly, and the other tape went to her family (who probably destroyed it). I'm also under the impression that a copy of this exists in the FCC archive (which would make sense).

Here's an interesting PDF file document I uncovered today featuring an interesting "request" by E! Networks Marilyn Fletcher. Miss Fletcher decided to take advantage of the FCC's Freedom of Information Act and requested a copy of the July 15, 1974 WXLT footage of Chubbick's final minutes. Notice that there was NO "denial" by the FCC, and they seem to have completed the transaction on 12/07/06. Please excuse the size of this document (it's the 5th item down)...You can PM me for a higher resolution...I will also begin searching for Marilyn Fletcher's contact information...

Hi michael,

In pose #2477, lobosco s/he contacted the Sarasota PD and they said the tape was destroyed in the late 80s. At the end of lobosco's post, there is a link to the blog which states that the Sarasota PD was called.

Quote Originally Posted by ladytinamarie View Post
    I positive I read somewhere that the family agreed not to sue if the station gave them the original copy and destroyed all the others and the family destroyed the tape.
    As a former broadcaster myself....unless I had overlooked something this is one area of the Chris Chubbuck suicide that I just don't get. Chris Chubbuck was an EMPLOYEE of WXLT and by appearing on WXLT, WXLT "owns" as in the image and voice of Chris Chubbuck including any tape of her that was recorded at WXLT including her suicide...with that being said again I may be overlooking something but I can't see how the Chubbuck family would even had a case as far as the actual tape is concerned since the tape was property and everything on it had belonged to WXLT. This sort of thing is very similar to my old radio broadcasts. Say for example my 16 year old cousin had wanted to upload one of my old shows on You Tube. Even though its MY voice MY program to get the OK to upload she would have to get permission from my old radio station otherwise THEY not ME have to power to get my program removed even if I am no longer an employee there..now will they that is a debate by itself but they have the power to do so.

Myself WXLT did the right thing. What would they gain if they kept had kept a copy and/or the original tape? Can't air it..could be a backlash. A good chunk of their advertisers would take their business elsewhere plus WXLT would lose viewers too ( not everyone is a death hag ). Deny the family of the tape...that would be considered "disrespect" towards the family and that alone could also cause a local backlash against WXLT as well. Either way by giving the family that tape was a good thing even if all of us I assume would want to see it. Besides I bet by doing so WXLT had figured it was their way to close the chapter on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    Hi michael,

In pose #2477, lobosco s/he contacted the Sarasota PD and they said the tape was destroyed in the late 80s. At the end of lobosco's post, there is a link to the blog which states that the Sarasota PD was called.
    Thank you very much!

Thank you very much!
    I know that I'm late on this, but you're very welcome, Michael.

Wow, I've just witnessed something within the last 5 minutes on national cable news that has me really shook up, and I'm usually not the "wimpy" "easily gets shook up" type of person.

It's been a very slow day around home today as I'm home on doctor's orders following a hospitalization last week. I was watching a car chase on cable news for the last half an hour. This happened around Phoenix and a hijacked car was speeding towards California. However, as the car got off the road it was out in the middle of nowhere. Nothing around him but a small gas station and a police helicopter filming the events. However, as the car got past the gas station, I got a really bad feeling deep down that they should have stopped filming right there. The guy got out of his car and while looking a little disoriented, he ran down the road. Everything deep inside me was screaming "Turn it off!!! Fox! Cut the feed, this isn't doesn't seem to have a good ending to it!" Well, about that time, Shepard Smith, a great anchor, was picking up the same vibe and got very quiet and said a few times, "This has me very nervous... I don't have a good feeling about this... this makes me very nervous." About that time, the suspect pulled a gun out of his jacket and on live TV shot himself in the head. Shepard Smith was literally screaming, "Cut it!! CUT IT!!!" and it IMMEDIATELY went to commercial.

I was very shocked at what I had just seen. Me, a member at FAD and a true death hag. But when presented with a live gunshot to the head on national TV, I got really rattled... still am. I can't help but say, I am very shook up. And I dare say, I have a very good idea in my mind what Chris' viewers were feeling that morning in July 1974.

When they came back, Shephard apologized profusely. He said that they have a delay on the feed but it happened just way too fast (in my opinion, someone wasn't as quick on the draw, got caught up in the story and just didn't cut it fast enough). I feel for Shephard Smith as I know that he didn't want viewers to see that (the camera was far away enough in that you didn't see "blood and guts" but you did see the gunshot blast and the body fall before they cut the feed.

Wow, I can't believe I've written a novel about this but I'm very shook up and totally caught off-guard by this tragic shooting. At first it appeared as the man was running away from his car that he was having a conversation with someone unseen. Maybe it was audio hallucinations or someone who was real who was trying to talk him down... for now, I don't know. All I do know is that I have a small taste of what it must have been like watching morning TV in the easy-going area of Sarasota, FL and seeing someone blow their head off on live TV.

When I used to watch Fox News I just loved Shephard! He seemed to really enjoy when car chase stories broke on his show. (And there have been quite a few.) His commentary made watching car chases so exciting. Shephard was probably having a grand old time watching the chase until the guy shot himself and he worried about the repercussions for the station.