Thread: Florence Ballard of the Supremes

Florence Ballard of the Supremes

Florence singing lead on "Silent Night", by the Supremes :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DVICG3fv-I

June 1943-February 1976

Still loved and missed by many fans.

I wish Flo's life had been easier than it was. She had so much talent, and yet she was held back, her ambition squelched in favor of someone who started out as a friend of hers. As she became relegated to the background of the group she started, she became embittered, and she turned to alcohol to ease her pain. When she was fired from the Supremes in 1967, it began a downward spiral from which she was attempting to emerge at the time of her death. She had damaged her body so much that by the time she'd healed her spirit enough to try for a comeback, her body gave out. She died of coronary thrombosis, a blood clot breaking free and stopping her heart, at the age of 32, leaving behind three young daughters....Michelle, Nicole, and Lisa.
    31 years later, her fans still love her just as much. Thanks to the wonderful Harry Weinger at Motown (which is now a subdivision of Universal, I believe), many of Florence's and Mary's previously-unreleased leads have been unearthed. The backgrounds on Supremes records have been remastered, the volume increased, and the original sound of the Supremes has re-emerged. Thank you, Harry.

Florence got a raw deal. I never really thought Diana Ross was all "that" enough to be pushed up front like she was.

I read that at Florence's funeral, she wasn't very "welcome" and tried to "outshine" her! Geez...

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Florence got a raw deal. I never really thought Diana Ross was all "that" enough to be pushed up front like she was.

I read that at Florence's funeral, she wasn't very "welcome" and tried to "outshine" her! Geez...
    Sheeesh...the ego of it all. Why am I not surprised?

Death Hag Chris Guest

well, Queen Ross WAS sleeping with Barry Gordy at the time. I guess a good piece of ass will take the place of talent anyday.

that was great,even through the laptop speakers.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 12-02-2007 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    well, Queen Ross WAS sleeping with Barry Gordy at the time. I guess a good piece of ass will take the place of talent anyday.
    Well, like they say, "it's not who you know, but who you..."

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Well, like they say, "it's not who you know, but who you..."

NICE!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
    Beautiful voice.

Honestly she was the true talent of the group.

Jazbabee Guest
    Truer words were never spoken. I never have, and never will care for Diana Ross.....I feel she has very little talent, just flamboyance.
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Honestly she was the true talent of the group.

Reecy Guest
    I loved Florence but I love Diana too.

Heck I loved the Supremes.

The way things were going back then in the 60's they were going to break up anyway. Look at the Beatles they even broke up.

mike Guest
    Flo actually gave the name Supremes.

chasityb211 Guest

Florence Ballard Funeral

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Sheeesh...the ego of it all. Why am I not surprised?
    I've just recently read a book about Motown, they also said that when Diana pulled up to the funeral she had all these bodyguards around her and the people standing outside started booing her. Once she got in the church she waited until she was in the middle of the aisle and started screaming and just fell out....D.R was a b**** compared to Mary and Flo.

janel Guest
    She had a much better voice than Diana Ross. Her vocal quality was clearer.

Honestly, as sad as this story is and all... her voice wasn't that great. Diana Ross did a good job... her stuff is memorable, shit happens. Not everybody makes the cut and her pride is what led to her poverty. Had she just realized that most people don't even come close to the stage then maybe she would have just dealt with it and eventually broke free to go solo (with all the money she would have made).

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Here's a nice photo gallery of Florence with and without the Supremes.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...3270801&Ref=PH

bluebear71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Honestly, as sad as this story is and all... her voice wasn't that great. Diana Ross did a good job... her stuff is memorable, shit happens. Not everybody makes the cut and her pride is what led to her poverty. Had she just realized that most people don't even come close to the stage then maybe she would have just dealt with it and eventually broke free to go solo (with all the money she would have made).
    Well said.

hotmama Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    diana does and did not have a great voice. from all the books about motown that i have read, say florence was the original lead singer for the group. diana started screwing berry gordy and he put her in front of the group. i guess diana did have talent and it was probably giving "head" and i hear berry loved that. she even had a baby by him and told the child her european husband was the father. diana screwd her way to the top. alot of the motown artist did not like her and one of them was marvin gaye and he let it be known to her face that he could not stand her. i believe her sleeping with th boss was why and marvin had to work hard to get where he was in that point in time. then she had the nerve to sing that song "missing you" for marvin. berry gordy's ex wife said she never understood why diana went out like that where the song was concerned. marvin hated her. diana, as the kids call it "pimped the game" that is nothing to be proud of. i just think florence had too many devils around her and her husband was one of them. all three grew up in the projects together. with friends like diana ross who needs enemies?? those motown books are great.

Forever-27 Guest
    A shame she got the royal screw job by Motown and The Surprems. Its pathetic that such a great talented legend of one of the greatest 60s girl groups had to die while on wel-fare and alone. People die, but her death is a sorry travisty that no legend should ever have to endure.

That pic of D.R. holding Florence's daughter really pisses me off.

I just saw Dreamgirls for the first time yesterday- it was really good. From what I understand, it was loosely based on the Supreme story.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Danny62 Guest
    I think Diana Ross had a huge ego and would not let anything stand in her way of becoming famous. I mean she has an okay voice. But you can tell she has an ego as well.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    diana does and did not have a great voice. from all the books about motown that i have read, say florence was the original lead singer for the group. diana started screwing berry gordy and he put her in front of the group. i guess diana did have talent and it was probably giving "head" and i hear berry loved that. she even had a baby by him and told the child her european husband was the father. diana screwd her way to the top. alot of the motown artist did not like her and one of them was marvin gaye and he let it be known to her face that he could not stand her. i believe her sleeping with th boss was why and marvin had to work hard to get where he was in that point in time. then she had the nerve to sing that song "missing you" for marvin. berry gordy's ex wife said she never understood why diana went out like that where the song was concerned. marvin hated her. diana, as the kids call it "pimped the game" that is nothing to be proud of. i just think florence had too many devils around her and her husband was one of them. all three grew up in the projects together. with friends like diana ross who needs enemies?? those motown books are great.
    Martha Reeves wasn't a fan of Diana Ross either from what I read about.

A little off topic but back in the 70s ( a few years before Ballard's death but this has no connection to it ), a white man writes a letter to Gordy at Motown asking the label if his band could audition for them. How he was a fan of Black music and such. Gordy turned them down..why? The lead singer was white and Motown is a Black label for Blacks..

The band?

KC and The Sunshine Band

unihikid Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post

A little off topic but back in the 70s ( a few years before Ballard's death but this has no connection to it ), a white man writes a letter to Gordy at Motown asking the label if his band could audition for them. How he was a fan of Black music and such. Gordy turned them down..why? The lead singer was white and Motown is a Black label for Blacks..

The band?

KC and The Sunshine Band
    well i can belive that BUT motown was kinda color blind.they had rare earth,the underdogs,chris clark,meatlofe(late 60s)and bobby darin.now once berry got into hollywood some asshole named ewart abner who put a lable that was black owned and bigger than motown into backrupsty(vee jay records) took over,thats when the race issue became a big deal.

as far as who had the better voice.flo had the better voice,but i have to agree with berry when he said "diana was more commercial",now i dont think pride got flo down,i think it was just not playing the game.flo didnt let anyone step on her heels.berry got tired of it and fired her,they gave her a crapy settlement,and it was later stolen by her husband.now motown kinda wanted to keep her but she said no.so what dose motown do???????? well when flo gets signed to abc records they call abc and they make them cancle flos contract and session,and then what does motown do???? they buy the master tapes and then reissue them after flow dies.

hotmama Guest

The band?

KC and The Sunshine Band
    check this out baby berry gordy started off doing music aimed at the white audience. as it turned out he ended up signing black people. probably because no white artist came knocking in the early days of motown. so he found his niche and again as the kids say "pimped the game" and his own people as well. also smokey was involved as well. he was a writer, the vice president, and the lead singer for the miracles. the motherf'er got three checks plus royalties.he really, really, really, pimped the game.

hotmama Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    well i can belive that BUT motown was kinda color blind.they had rare earth,the underdogs,chris clark,meatlofe(late 60s)and bobby darin.now once berry got into hollywood some asshole named ewart abner who put a lable that was black owned and bigger than motown into backrupsty(vee jay records) took over,thats when the race issue became a big deal.

as far as who had the better voice.flo had the better voice,but i have to agree with berry when he said "diana was more commercial",now i dont think pride got flo down,i think it was just not playing the game.flo didnt let anyone step on her heels.berry got tired of it and fired her,they gave her a crapy settlement,and it was later stolen by her husband.now motown kinda wanted to keep her but she said no.so what dose motown do???????? well when flo gets signed to abc records they call abc and they make them cancle flos contract and session,and then what does motown do???? they buy the master tapes and then reissue them after flow dies.
    wow that is f'ed up. berry was color blind. green. he went were the money was. the black acts made money so he used them for all they were worth. so he did have a few non-black acts. that is nice to know.

Forever-27 Guest

The band?

KC and The Sunshine Band
    Actually Rare earth was a all white , well they did have a hispanic precusionist. band and signed by Motown. I still listen to them from time to time.

" I just want to Celebrate Another Day of Livin " great song ...

Lucy Furr Guest
    those motown books are great.
    What are some titles? I'd love to check some of this out!

unihikid Guest
    the best motown book that ive reado so far is "me berry and motown" by his second wife raynoma singleton gordy,but after that you gotta read berrys book "to be loved",then to get a outside look at motown "forever faitful" by tony turner which is mainly about flo and the supremes.

honorable mention
    "dancing in the streets" martha reeves
    "call her miss ross" j.randy tabaronill

but yea the me berry and motown book is rad.it really shows how much of an ass berry is.and the flo book is the best that ive read on her so far.any other motown book just dosent match up to the ones ive mention imo.oh and for the record motowns first white act were signed in 63,thier names were "the validers" and thier hit was "greetings this is uncle sam" which is a good listen.and from the get motown had whites in high postitions (so they could work better in the industry).oh and tommy good who never had a hit was signed in 63 also,if you do a search on youtube for him,he does a song that is backuped by the temptations.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    the best motown book that ive reado so far is "me berry and motown" by his second wife raynoma singleton gordy,but after that you gotta read berrys book "to be loved",then to get a outside look at motown "forever faitful" by tony turner which is mainly about flo and the supremes.

honorable mention
    "dancing in the streets" martha reeves
    "call her miss ross" j.randy tabaronill

but yea the me berry and motown book is rad.it really shows how much of an ass berry is.and the flo book is the best that ive read on her so far.any other motown book just dosent match up to the ones ive mention imo.oh and for the record motowns first white act were signed in 63,thier names were "the validers" and thier hit was "greetings this is uncle sam" which is a good listen.and from the get motown had whites in high postitions (so they could work better in the industry).oh and tommy good who never had a hit was signed in 63 also,if you do a search on youtube for him,he does a song that is backuped by the temptations.
    Thanks unihikid, I added what I could to my amazon wishlist!! These have some great reviews BTW.
    Last edited by Lucy Furr; 04-10-2008 at 01:27 PM.

travnut Guest
    There's a new book out on Florence Ballard. I haven't read it. It's getting mixed reviews.

[SIZE=3]The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard [/SIZE]

jomei2810 Guest
    A Story About Flos Funeral.
    With An Open Casket-Picture...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	florence.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	29756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	florencedeath.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	29757  

Rudy's Girl Guest
    I remember reading a little bit about her daughter by Gordy. Diana's husband had been treating her like his own child. She looked a lot like Gordy though. Does anyone remember that story?

One story that I remember about Diana is she liked the word "chutney" like the relish, but she spelled it wrong and ended up naming her daughter "Chudney".

Wasn't Flo's sister writing a book?

Fancynancy Guest

I am almost positive I had read somewhere that near the end of his life, Marvin Gaye was kind of in love or infatuated with
    Diana Ross--maybe in Divided Soul? I read it so many years ago, and then gave a copy to my mom on one of the holidays, Mother's Day, or something like that--

Hardly the first person to get screwed by the music bizz. Shit happens.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

unihikid Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Hardly the first person to get screwed by the music bizz. Shit happens.
    Yeah true but its the first big star from motown to get screwed,and you gotta think back to where the supremes were back in the 60s,i mean they were as big as the beatles.like the beatles once told one of the temptations in the late 60s "you guys should be millionairs".and that brings up another screwed group from motown the marvelettes....get this,so the lead singer was married to one of the miracles ,he cheats on her,she has a nervous breakdown in the 80s,and is found living on the street,they clean her up for the motown 25 thing and then she disappears again.motown has a lot of sad stories,its just discovering all of them.

Maybe Flo had aspirations of being the lead singer, or maybe she wanted all 3 of them to showcase their talents, either way she wasn't going to tolerate being a back-up singer. While all that is fine and dandy, she didn't really have a plan B once she got herself fired. If you want to stay in the game, you have to score points for playing well in the sandbox. As sad as her story is, she did do it to herself. It happens in business every single day, someone gets a coveted promotion over you, and you can grin and bear it, or find another job. Unfortunately Flo wasn't able to do that, which led to a very short life. Personally, I think she was just as talented as Diana Ross, but if Barry Gordy didn't think so, that's no reason to give up.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

dnataster1 Guest
    Gordy thought Diane, being slimmer and flashier, had what it took to be a "stsr" - and she slept with him, to boot.

Flo was known to speak her mind, and that did not sit well with Diane. now known as "Diana".

There are rumors floating around that Diana sent Flo money, but the check either never arrived, or came to late.

She is buried near my home.

There's a new book out on Florence Ballard. I haven't read it. It's getting mixed reviews.
    ]The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard

I have not read this book but noticed it is cited by wiki in Reggie Harding a 7 foot thug the first NBA draftee out of high school alledgedly raped Flo at knifepoint then she was 17.I say thug cos Reggie was shot dead in 1972.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra