Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy Rhoads

Danny62 Guest

Randy Rhoads

Musician. A guitar prodigy who started at the age of six and taught at his mother's school during his professional career, he was the original guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne's band and he is famous for combining classical and heavy metal together. His work on Ozzy's first two solo albums "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" is hailed today for their ingenuity, and songs like "Crazy Train" and "Flyin' High Again" are considered heavy metal classics. He gave the inspiration for Grover Jackson, founder of Jackson guitars, to start a guitar company.

Cause of death: Plane Crash
    Dec, 6 1956-Mar 19, 1982

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I remember hearing on the news that he was killed. I remember this because my older brother was a huge Sabbath fan (as well as a fan of Blizzard Of Ozz). and had just picked up Diary...a couple weeks prior. that guy could have blown up if he would have lived.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    I remember hearing on the news that he was killed. I remember this because my older brother was a huge Sabbath fan (as well as a fan of Blizzard Of Ozz). and had just picked up Diary...a couple weeks prior. that guy could have blown up if he would have lived.
    I saw him in concert here in Salt Lake on Jan 9th. Just a couple months before he died!

From what I remember it was a good show...that was a long, long time ago!!!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    LUCKY!!! man, I was only 10 when he died. too young to have seen him.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    LUCKY!!! man, I was only 10 when he died. too young to have seen him.
    It was cool to see him before he died!

Now if I could have saw Jimi Hendrix perfom that would have been way cool! I was only 8 when he died!

knothere Guest
    rumer has it the pilot was coked up at the time of the crash

Yeah, but what a dumb way to go - buzzing Ozzy's bus in a plane and flying too low.

Sharon Osborne admitted in an interview that her and Randy slept together once. I guess Ozzy didn't mind that.

onehunglow Guest
    [SIZE=3]This man was a true genius on the guitar. To come up with the licks of Crazy Train is wild. Not only is the song a 20 on a scale of 1 to 10 in difficulty to play but totally kicks ass. I had over 20 years of guitar experience when Crazy Train came out. It took me well over 100 hours to get down right. What a loss. [/SIZE]

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    It was cool to see him before he died!

Now if I could have saw Jimi Hendrix perfom that would have been way cool! I was only 8 when he died!
    damn dude. don't take this the wrong way...but you look fucking YOUNG for your age. not that you're old by any means. but, I honestly thought of you being my age or younger. good for you, man. I hope I age that well.

Zeenie Guest
    Hey all...Randy is buried here in my hometown. He used to be in a plain grave at the back of the cemetary (I have several fam members buried there), but a few years back his mom had him moved to the front and a very large monument put up. I believe when they did that she had a little ceremony and Sharon and Oz showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeenie View Post
    Hey all...Randy is buried here in my hometown. He used to be in a plain grave at the back of the cemetary (I have several fam members buried there), but a few years back his mom had him moved to the front and a very large monument put up. I believe when they did that she had a little ceremony and Sharon and Oz showed up.
    I had heard Ozzy paid for that masoleom for Randy.

Zeenie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post

Wouldn't doubt it...as I said, the grave was very plain, just a little headstone, and now it is really nice and at the front gate as soon as you turn in.

GODDESS6 Guest
    i heard that too~ he had an amazing talent~ when he played here w/ ozzy when i was young, my ma refused to let me go~ she thought ozzy & kiss were the anti-christ *shrugs*~ one of randy's friends had 1 of the bow ties that randy wore on stage & sold it for 4000.00 on ebay, it had make-up on it~ i wondered if he wore stage make-up, like foundation?, it was a tan color, or if it was from extracurricular backstage activities?~ LOLOL~

Ridgecrest, CA-Middle of the Mojave Desert
    Randy was a great musician. He's buried about 5 miles from me at Mt. View Cemetery in San Bernardino, CA

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Randy's' death was a senseless death, for sure! I was 12 when he died and had been practicing the guitar 10 hours a day for 2 years up to that point. "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" were essential songs that I had to learn. I have loved Randy as a guitar player every since. It is a true shame, like Steve Ray Vaughn, that we will not know what would become of him as an artist. He had a keen interest in Classical music (you can hear the influence on "Dee", a solo instrumental piece) and was just scraping the surface of what he was as a player. He blew Eddie Van Halen away, hands down!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    Randy's' death was a senseless death, for sure! I was 12 when he died and had been practicing the guitar 10 hours a day for 2 years up to that point. "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" were essential songs that I had to learn. I have loved Randy as a guitar player every since. It is a true shame, like Steve Ray Vaughn, that we will not know what would become of him as an artist. He had a keen interest in Classical music (you can hear the influence on "Dee", a solo instrumental piece) and was just scraping the surface of what he was as a player. He blew Eddie Van Halen away, hands down!
    Your right about that! Randy was way better then Eddie Van Halen!!!

I saw him him in March in Salt Lake a couple months before he died!

I think it was March?

It seems like all the really kick ass guitar players died young???

I still have the tour program by the way!!!

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Yeah, but what a dumb way to go - buzzing Ozzy's bus in a plane and flying too low.

Sharon Osborne admitted in an interview that her and Randy slept together once. I guess Ozzy didn't mind that.
    I would have to see that interview of Sharon saying that before I would believe that. For numerous reasons. No offense, not that I am calling you a liar...

I would have to see that interview of Sharon saying that before I would believe that. For numerous reasons. No offense, not that I am calling you a liar...
    It's the truth!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=17216

hollywoodsaint Guest

lol That's the one thing that's always stood out in my mind about Rhoads-- some rock stars have died in planes, and some rock stars have died in buses-- he's the only one I know of who died in a plane that crashed into a bus.

tensecondstolove Guest

Lol yah I remember that interview. But Ozzy wasn't exactly faithful himself so...Sharon needed to get a little on the side I guess..

More Cheese Please Guest
    She WISHES Randy Rhodes had slept with her, and of course he's not around to refute it.

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodsaint View Post
    lol That's the one thing that's always stood out in my mind about Rhoads-- some rock stars have died in planes, and some rock stars have died in buses-- he's the only one I know of who died in a plane that crashed into a bus.
    Actually they clipped the bus. Here's the whole story:
    (I have pictures of the crash somewhere - I'll try to post them)

According to an accident report filed by the National Transit Safety Board, Rhoads, 25, Rachel Youngblood, the bandâ??s 58-year-old seamstress and cook, and bus driver Andrew Aycock, 36, a licensed pilot, commandeered a small, single-engine 1955 Beechcraft Bonanza F35 plane sometime between nine and ten a.m. on March 19, 1982. The aircraft had been parked in a hangar at Flying Baron Estates in Leesburg, Florida, where its owner, Jerry Calhoun, owned a house. Aycock, who also owned a home there, reportedly took the plane without permission. The groupâ??s tour bus â?? a Greyhound-type vehicle with a golden-brown top and white bottom â?? was parked approximately 60 feet from a Georgian-style mansion adjacent to the airstrip.

Ozzy Osbourne, manager Sharon Arden, and bassist Rudy Sarzo were asleep on the bus at the time of the accident. Keyboardist Don Airey, who was on the bus but awake, witnessed the crash. During the flight, the pilot made three low passes at treetop level in an attempt to "buzz" the tour bus. On the fourth pass, while the plane was flying approximately ten feet above the ground at speeds of 140 and 180 M.P.H., the planeâ??s left wing collided with the rear of the bus. The bulk of the aircraft crossed over the bus and severed a large pine tree before crashing through the North side wall and roof of the garage on West end of the mansion. The plane exploded and burned on impact with the house, which was also gutted by the ensuing fire. Two vehicles parked inside the garage, an Oldsmobile and a Ford Granada, were destroyed. Visibility conditions were clear and the weather was not a factor in the crash.

The bus was extensively damaged on both its right and left sides. Meanwhile, at the crash site, one victim was found outside the window of the garage, just below where the plane struck the wall. The other two victims were found inside the garage, one beside and one atop the burned-out automobiles. The bodies were burned beyond recognition. Rhoads had to be identified by his jewelry and Aycock through dental records. Fiberglass from the explosive impact of the plane was scattered over more than an acre, with no part of the plane larger than a telephone, except the one crumpled wing, which struck the bus. Toxicology reports conducted on Rhoads and Aycock at the Federal Aviation Administrationâ??s civil aeromedical institute in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, determined that Rhoads had only nicotine in his system, but no drugs or alcohol. Cocaine was found in Aycockâ??s urine.

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Here's a picture of Randy just weeks before his death.

The other photo is a picture of his mom Delores (on the left) as she appeared at the unveiling of the new mausoleum.

This link is a video of the mansion they crashed into.

http://home.flash.net/~ulknatme/31982.mov
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Randy Rhoads Jan 9 1982.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Randy mom.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	586  

RigorMortis Guest
    I love this man and his playing. One of my all time favs. I still have my Guitar Magazine issue that was a tribute to him after his death.

LadyCurry Guest
    Just thought that I would revisit this thread out of my love and appreciation for Randy. He deserves to be bumped up.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Seagorath Guest
    Awesomeness...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCurry View Post
    Just thought that I would revisit this thread out of my love and appreciation for Randy. He deserves to be bumped up.

Forever-27 Guest
    In the days before Ozzys Blizzard of Oz band. ( Thats the name of the band Ozzy created after he was fired from Black Sabbath - Ozzy Osbourne's Blizzard of Oz ) Randy was with Quiet Riot. He left Quiet Riot to join Ozzy Osbourne. Theres a bootleg demo of Quiet Riot with randy playing guitar floating around. Ive heard bits and pieces of it. Randy is mentioned on Quiet Riots debut album " Metal Health " in the liner notes and the album is dedicated to him.

Ozzy has said in interviews as late as 1985 that had Randy lived, he most likely wouldnt have stayed with Ozzys band after Diary of a Madman. He most likely would have gone elsewhere, a solo career perhaps even. Similar to what Yngwie Malmstein did after Alcatrazz split or or Rudolf Shanker did after UFO.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 09-15-2008 at 12:13 AM.

rickenbacker Guest
    What a waste of great talent. Randy was just starting to rewrite how metal guitar was played. I cannot comprehend what was next. Even though he has a place among the greats now (and rightfully so), he would have become even more legendary.

endsleigh03 Guest
    How very odd. I am reading Sharon Osbournes autobiography, and in it she says this about the crash.........I have to say, I'd never heard the pilot/bus driver was trying to dive-bomb his wife.

~And I just had no idea what had happened, and as I looked I saw there were bits of plane everywhere, and bits of body parts....... ~

~And it turns out the bus company owns a plane company and a helicopter company as well, and this bus driver is also a fucking pilot. So he drives through the night, and gets to this place and tells someone to sort out the air conditioning and then says to the people on our bus "Do you wanna go up for a ride?" So he gets out one of these planes, starts it up and takes a couple of guys for a ride. And then they come down and he says "Anyone else wanna go?" And Randy and Rachel must have said yes. And what I have never understood about this whole horrible tragedy is why they went up there. Why they ever went up. Randy didn't like flying and neither did Rachel.

But for whatever reason they got to go up with him, and it seems the bus drivers wife was standing outside, beside the bus, watching them, and he could see her from the cockpit of the plane, and he just decided to run the plane into his wife and try to kill her. And he dive-bombed the bus. What we later found out was that they were in the process of getting divorced. Plus the autopsy showed his body was full of cocaine.

lane4 Guest
    Holy Moly - he was trying to kill his wife? (According to Sharon). I thought he was trying to show off or scare the bus occupents.

Randy is in my top 5 musicians. I also read he was a very nice guy.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Isn't it weird?
    Post 27 in this thread talks about the Transit Safety board filing a report...... and it doesn't say anything about any of that.

7asprinter Guest
    RIP Randy Rhoads~ We love ya and wish you were around today!

More Cheese Please Guest
    RIP Randy... who passed on this day 27 years ago....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhgIuPcRIAE

Was it that long ago? Damn.

i always wondered about his mausoleum. A friend of mine from california took pics and said there were very few or no graves around it...did they buy a whole lot of the cemetery or was it a coincidence? I did google searches but didnt come up with anything...
    Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. ~Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

dcg76 Guest

I read it, and think it's true.... She was in fact trying to get away from her father, who managed Black Sabbath and thought Ozzy was a loser, was a lot heavier at the time (she did have a rubber band put around her stomach to lost weight)

37. 03-26-2009, 08:37 AM

38. 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM

christmascandy1 Guest
    --Thanks for the tip..ill try to check that out

rickenbacker Guest
    27 years. Damn. I just heard Diary of a Madman this afternoon. I truly believe Randy was destined to be one of the greatest guitarists ever. He's on a pretty high pedestal based on his work. I think that pedestal would be much taller had he lived.

41. 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM

42. 03-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Forever-27 Guest
    Randy, Kevin DeBrow and Drew Forsyth originally formed quiet riot, but the quiet riot band name didnt come into being until around 1975.

Originally they called themsevles Mach1 and then Little Women.

Theres a boot of the Little women demo that was passed to many record companies. Its a poor recording but randy shines right threw on it.

nyf1227 Guest

r.i.p

just wanted to say rest in peace randy rhoads who died 29 years ago today.,.....what a rockstar!!!!

Wow it's been a long time. Sad.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Forever-27 Guest
    Ozzy has remastered the Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman sessions and will be re-released in May

wanderoze Guest
    Randy's death has been on my mind all week. What a senseless accident. So, so sad.

smokincat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    In the days before Ozzys Blizzard of Oz band. ( Thats the name of the band Ozzy created after he was fired from Black Sabbath - Ozzy Osbourne's Blizzard of Oz ) Randy was with Quiet Riot. He left Quiet Riot to join Ozzy Osbourne. Theres a bootleg demo of Quiet Riot with randy playing guitar floating around. Ive heard bits and pieces of it. Randy is mentioned on Quiet Riots debut album " Metal Health " in the liner notes and the album is dedicated to him.

Ozzy has said in interviews as late as 1985 that had Randy lived, he most likely wouldnt have stayed with Ozzys band after Diary of a Madman. He most likely would have gone elsewhere, a solo career perhaps even. Similar to what Yngwie Malmstein did after Alcatrazz split or or Rudolf Shanker did after UFO.
    Here are a couple of the better ones. Since Kevin died, it seems more RR footage has surfaced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCYz4k2cWiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCYz4k2cWiU

The second one, "Laughing Gas" has a complete solo where you can hear loads of future Ozzy songs. As far as the mausoleum goes, if Ozzy bought it for him (and I wouldn't doubt it), it's because Randy saved his life, not just as a celebrity but as a friend. Were it not for Randy and Sharon, he would be dead now.
    Last edited by smokincat; 03-25-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Clepsydra Guest

Randy Rhoads

One of the greatest musicians that ever lived.
    He died without ever being able to show his full immense talent!
    ~ RIP Randy ~

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

P.C.M. Guest
    Last concert in Knoxville,TN March,18th 1982.

Ticket stub

Last fan pic ever (he sadly dies about 10 hours later). Band keyboardist Don Airey has the last photo's and will never release them. He was wearing the same clothes when.......man,it still hurt's like yesterday.

P.C.M. Guest
    I have newspaper articles,an article that questions if it was an accident,2 funeral photo's,his memorial note,few pictures of his tomb and the f.a.a. / autopsy report on all 3 victims. Randy was my Superman and it destroyed me when he died (still does because I am crying right now). A true legend and a sweetheart of a man. God bless you Randy.

I liked the clip of Ozzy discovering a hidden Randy jam session on one of their albums together.

P.C.M. Guest

Randy Rhoads and Rachel Youngblood whom also died along with the pilot/bus driver Andrew Aycock

Ozzy and Randy outside the tour bus

Randy getting on board the tour bus after signing autographs

These are the only known available photo's from the crash site. Keyboardist Don Airey took a lot of photo's even the seconds before impact but will not release them ever our of respect for his friends (he lost) and their families.