Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 102

Thread: Rick Nelson

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,064
    I always liked David Nelson. When Ricky was getting all of the attention and glory, it was said that David was never jealous, and always supportive of his brother. While Ozzie was very sick with cancer, it was David who stepped in and took care of his dad, staying up nights and practically carrying his father to the bathroom. Very sad. He also took care of his mother and her interests.

    After Ricky died, Kris tried to become executor of his estate, but David was the one who became the executor. Ricky's children said David stepped right in there for them and set the estate up so the kids would really benefit. I saw Ricky's twins on T.V. state their gratitude for everything David did for them all. David's step children were interviewed and said how much they adored him and thought of him as their "real father". Even though Rick was considered the star of the Nelson family, I myself have a special soft spot for David after hearing what kind of person he really was, and how much he did for his family.
    Last edited by Rudy's Girl; 09-28-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Rudolph Valentino 1895-1926

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Which was his inspiration for writing the song, "Garden Party". They were all booing him because they wanted him to sing all his old hits, and instead he was singing his new rock music.
    Thought I'd add this, a video of his sons singing Garden Party.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShwSZtDdl3M

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by EthelMertz View Post
    I always liked David Nelson. When Ricky was getting all of the attention and glory, it was said that David was never jealous, and always supportive of his brother. While Ozzie was very sick with cancer, it was David who stepped in and took care of his dad, staying up nights and practically carrying his father to the bathroom. Very sad. He also took care of his mother and her interests.

    After Ricky died, Kris tried to become executor of his estate, but David was the one who became the executor. Ricky's children said David stepped right in there for them and set the estate up so the kids would really benefit. I saw Ricky's twins on T.V. state their gratitude for everything David did for them all. David's step children were interviewed and said how much they adored him and thought of him as their "real father". Even though Rick was considered the star of the Nelson family, I myself have a special soft spot for David after hearing what kind of person he really was, and how much he did for his family.
    I am sorry if this was already posted but Mark Harmon and his wife stepped in to try to get custody from Kris, his younger sister. It got ugly!
    http://www.people.com/people/archive...097045,00.html
    regards,
    Mary

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    Oh man, I just checked out the clip of all three of Rick's sons singing Garden Party. In the background there was a big pic of Rick seemingly looking over them. Something tells me he was there with them the whole time. Those are some talented kids of his. Great voices.

    Boy oh Boy does Sam look like Ricky. I am sooooooooooo hot for those Nelson boys. I just never hear anything about Sam. The twins live here in Nashville.

    In that People mag article, it briefly mentioned Sam having a heartwarming dream of reuniting with his dad on a plane. Hmmm, very interesting. I wonder if it was a "visitation" dream, the kind where dead loved ones come to see you. I know I've had plenty.

    I think Ricky loved his kids immensely and has done everything he can from where he is now to stay connected to them.

    I went to a garden party....and saw me some smokin' hot Nelsons...
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,554
    Great harmony those guys. Rick Nelson was SO good looking. Those kids really look like Kris and the Harmons, IMHO.
    In memory of a wonderful actor who left us way too soon - William Holden 1918-1981.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    Great harmony those guys. Rick Nelson was SO good looking. Those kids really look like Kris and the Harmons, IMHO.
    I hear ya, Crazed. I think they all look like Harmons except for Sam. He looks so much like Ricky it's eerie. And Ricky, in my opinion, was one of the most handsome men EVER.

    Mark Harmon has always made my lady bits tingle, too. Summer School, an 80's movie, is one of my faves. My mother and aunt, the ones who turned me on to Ricky, are loyal devotees of Mark and his NCIS show. I don't watch tv a whole lot, but if I pass by and see Mark, I'll stop and stare.
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    Okay, I cannot find any pictures of Sam Hilliard Nelson, Rick's youngest son. A lot of people don't even know he exists. I know he has a band (H is Orange) and I've read that he's a record exec in L.A. Other than that nada, no interviews or anything.

    I know some of you can magically produce pics when I can find nary a one. If anyone finds any pics of Sam, PLEASE post them. He's such a hottie.
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    Please??? Help a sister out?? I need some fantasy material here, people. Geez louise :-D
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,554


    Sam's in the middle and he does resemble his dad.

    Rick was SO good looking.
    In memory of a wonderful actor who left us way too soon - William Holden 1918-1981.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    Lord have mercy. Thank ya.....

    The older dude is James Burton, of Elvis' TCB band.
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  11. #61
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    617

    A strange but true story

    I was watching an episode of Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Maysteries, season one, which had Rick Nelson in it. In the story, Rick Nelson plays a rock star surrounded by a murder mystery. During the course of the story, his character is told not to board a plane because of the danger involved because of the murders, to which Rick Nelson replys " ...don't be stupit! I'm as safe in that plane as someone in the Twin Towers". Rick Nelson died in a plane crash some years later. Check out the episode I'm talking about, he said it, I swear.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    270
    OMG. scary... BTW, James Burton (above) was in Rick's band back in the early 60s, before Elvis's.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    270
    I'd still do Tracy. Those lips...

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    270
    Can anyone put up a photo of their Grandmother, Elyse Knox? OMG, she's the most beautiful woman of the 40s, to me...

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY (Where committing suicide is redundant. Bflo's Michael Bennett in "A Chorus Line")
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by salvatore1989 View Post
    I was watching an episode of Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Maysteries, season one, which had Rick Nelson in it. In the story, Rick Nelson plays a rock star surrounded by a murder mystery. During the course of the story, his character is told not to board a plane because of the danger involved because of the murders, to which Rick Nelson replys " ...don't be stupit! I'm as safe in that plane as someone in the Twin Towers". Rick Nelson died in a plane crash some years later. Check out the episode I'm talking about, he said it, I swear.
    Holy Jeebus! I was HDNDM fan and I vaguely recall Rick's appearance as I've been a RN fan for 30+ years (damn I feel old!). Seemingly no online clip available but the episode is "The Flickering Torch Mystery" Season 1, ep. 7 1977
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0597019/
    Last edited by ghoulgurl; 10-04-2009 at 06:40 AM.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by salvatore1989 View Post
    I was watching an episode of Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Maysteries, season one, which had Rick Nelson in it. In the story, Rick Nelson plays a rock star surrounded by a murder mystery. During the course of the story, his character is told not to board a plane because of the danger involved because of the murders, to which Rick Nelson replys " ...don't be stupit! I'm as safe in that plane as someone in the Twin Towers". Rick Nelson died in a plane crash some years later. Check out the episode I'm talking about, he said it, I swear.
    Now THAT is odd. I'm not a big believer in coincidences, don't believe in them at all, in fact. Veddy interesting...
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    OMG. scary... BTW, James Burton (above) was in Rick's band back in the early 60s, before Elvis's.
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. I remember now reading about when Elvis was putting his TCB band together and he knew James' work from Rick's band. Apparently, Rick and the King were friends. Thanks for reminding me!
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    If anyone can find anymore pics of Sam, PLEASE POST THEM! I am very grateful for the pic that is posted, but I need more fantasy pictures. One can only go so far...hee hee. Yes, I do have an active imagination. But don't worry, my husband is in on it, too.
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post


    Sam's in the middle and he does resemble his dad.

    Rick was SO good looking.
    Wow! Sam is sure a hottie!! The other boys are cute too though.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,346
    I've been listening to Ricky Nelson on youtube lately.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by **Jenna** View Post
    Wow! Sam is sure a hottie!! The other boys are cute too though.
    I know, right?? Hottie just barely describes him!!!!!! What a stud muffin.....

    My fave Nelson's used to be the twins...til I discovered their little brother. Hella hubba hubba.....oh lawd.....
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    36,514
    Ricky Nelson. Now that is a blast from the past. Gorgeous guy and great voice. I was more into Elvis, but boy oh boy.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    497
    Sam and Mark Harmon-upper right
    Last edited by gapeach; 10-06-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    497
    Sam-top middle with siblings
    Last edited by gapeach; 10-06-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by gapeach View Post
    Sam-top middle with siblings

    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OGM....this pic above of the twins is when I was soooooooooooooooooooo hot for them. The long blonde hair, the blue eyes, the bitchin' spandex....LOVED the After the Rain album.

    These Nelson people have some great genes. Great pictures...thanks!!!!
    What planet are you from? I'm from Vega!

  26. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,186
    Quote Originally Posted by smg View Post
    Thought I'd add this, a video of his sons singing Garden Party.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShwSZtDdl3M
    That was awesome..they all can sing but I love Sam's voice..and the pictures they were showing were great too.
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

  27. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    270
    Jesus, this is turning into 16 magazine...

  28. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    Jesus, this is turning into 16 magazine...
    No way! We were all Tiger Beat people! Loved the Jim Morrison spread they did.
    This isn't me. I was a Beatles gal but this does reflect the era!
    Regards,
    Mary
    Attached Images Attached Images

  29. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    270
    Suuure it isnt...lol

  30. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,186
    I myself was a Tiger Beat girl LOL
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

  31. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    794
    I watch Ozzie and Harriet..lol.. I love when I find episodes in the dollar bin.. I heart David..
    Sucks about all the crap Ricky went thru.. So sad.. RIP Ricky

  32. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    My Own Private Hell-Memoria Vista
    Posts
    774
    Always liked Rick-his music was pretty good. Is there any pictures of the smashed up plane? I've never seen any if there are. Too bad he died that way, like most musicians, it's never old age.
    You are not a color to me. You are not a religion,sexual orientation, age or IQ. You are not a male or female. You are not political, nor pretty or ugly. You are my brother and sister, and I love you no matter what you may be.-I was Goth before they called it Goth.

  33. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    Okay, I cannot find any pictures of Sam Hilliard Nelson, Rick's youngest son. A lot of people don't even know he exists. I know he has a band (H is Orange) and I've read that he's a record exec in L.A. Other than that nada, no interviews or anything.

    I know some of you can magically produce pics when I can find nary a one. If anyone finds any pics of Sam, PLEASE post them. He's such a hottie.
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    Please??? Help a sister out?? I need some fantasy material here, people. Geez louise :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post


    Sam's in the middle and he does resemble his dad.

    Rick was SO good looking.
    Cool picture!



    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    OMG. scary... BTW, James Burton (above) was in Rick's band back in the early 60s, before Elvis's.
    James joined Rick's band in 1957 and not the early 60s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamebabby View Post
    Always liked Rick-his music was pretty good. Is there any pictures of the smashed up plane? I've never seen any if there are. Too bad he died that way, like most musicians, it's never old age.
    Here's a picture. It's the only one I've been able to find. The picture came from the book, "Ricky Nelson - Lonesome Town! The Real Story Of America's Favorite Family" by Jim Brady:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

  34. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Altos Hills, California
    Posts
    198

    Rick Nelson

    May 8, 1940-December 31, 1985
    RIP

  35. #85
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    the 7th level of hell (AKA: Alabama)
    Posts
    1
    Does anyone know the last room number RN stayed in at the Holiday Inn in Guntersville, AL?

  36. #86
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    19
    Room 106, but it's now called "The Ricky Nelson Room." I live in Guntersville, and there was recently a huge write-up in the local paper about the last show and his last few hours hangin' out at the Guntersville Airport.
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.theboot.com/media/2008/10/ocms.jpg
    Better than your favorite band.

  37. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    1,347
    I dunno if I can find it right at the moment but there is actually a website that has pics of Rick's final concert in Guntersville, AL on December 31, 1985. What is sad about the crash, in a way, is that Rick's drummer at the time, Ricky Intveldt had just celebrated his 21st birthday.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

  38. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,708
    My mom is 73 and still calls him Ricky Nelson. I remember very well the night he died and seeing images of the burning plane.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

  39. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    My mom is 73 and still calls him Ricky Nelson. I remember very well the night he died and seeing images of the burning plane.
    He actually did go back to using "Ricky" as his first name when he got back into the rockabilly scene and just sang his old song - something he vowed he would never, ever do......
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

  40. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Which was his inspiration for writing the song, "Garden Party". They were all booing him because they wanted him to sing all his old hits, and instead he was singing his new rock music.
    I saw him in concert in the late 70's and people were booing him because he was playing his new stuff. People were yelling out "Garden Party!" with the boos through two songs. As soon as he finished the second song and launched into Garden Party the place went nuts.

    Also, I was at work with my boss and a few other people and we had the radio on. The announcement came on about the plane crash and we just stood around for the next hour talking about Ricky Nelson. My boss and I had both seen him in concert at different times and talked about our experiences seeing him.

  41. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    This is one of those rare celeb family's that worked through their issues with mom, Kris Harmon Nelson, and have openly discussed it.

    The last bit of info I read she was living either in Taos or Santa Fe, New Mexico. She paints beautifully.

    Kris lives a quiet life in Santa Fe, NM. She's single and now in her early 70s. Last time that I saw Kris on television was on A&E when they did that great biography on the Nelson family, "Ozzie & Harriet: The Adventures Of America's Favorite Family"
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 04-28-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

  42. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    462
    I have an interesting clip- a radio show interview of his sons from 2010. They detail their father's death. I don't know the best way to get it here. It's about 15 MB.

  43. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Henrico VA
    Posts
    272
    rest in Peace

  44. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,068
    I had put this on Glenn's thread, so, why not here also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA-7TjMLjVY
    Some days, you get the Bear, other days the Bear gets you.

  45. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I had put this on Glenn's thread, so, why not here also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA-7TjMLjVY
    I've got a lot of 1960s/1970s/1980s footage of Rick (including the last televised concert from the Los Angeles Amphitheater on August 22, 1985). I got it from a guy named Howard Kasten in Florida. The guy who has the original original footage is a guy named Ian Cooke.

    Howard will make copies for a small fee (or sometimes totally free) for anybody. He's on FB but.....you probably aren't.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

  46. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CUMberland, Maryland
    Posts
    1,672
    Recently I got in it with a guy ( yeah a millennial ) about what killed Rick Nelson. He claims that Rick had diabeties and his insulin blew up which caused the plane to crash. He claims Rick got it and the other Nelsons because they drank to much Coca-Cola back in the day. I don't believe that but others did. UGH

  47. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    36,514
    What a load! It is not flammable in itself, but like most things, it will catch fire under the right conditions. Sugar intake does not cause it. Some people eat cake for breakfast and drink Coke like water and never get it. Diabetes Type 1 is caused by the pancreas failure to produce enough insulin to balance sugar intake; in Type 2 the cells resist using insulin produced by the pancreas. Type 2 hinges on the genes. It runs in my family.
    Last edited by cindyt; 05-21-2018 at 08:17 AM.

  48. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CUMberland, Maryland
    Posts
    1,672
    All this is well is word from Yahoo News as they not only are at war with the Coca-Cola company but they get money from Red Bull energy drinks. They ( Yahoo ) probably saw some Coke ads with the Nelsons and presto..Rick had diabetes !!
    Last edited by choff; 05-21-2018 at 02:32 PM.

  49. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    36,514
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    All this is well is word from Yahoo News as they not only are at war with the Coca-Cola company but they get money from Red Bull energy drinks. They ( Yahoo ) probably saw some Coke ads with the Nelsons and presto..Rick had diabetes !!
    He may have, but all I could fine was he had pretty bad asthma growing up.

  50. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CUMberland, Maryland
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    He may have, but all I could fine was he had pretty bad asthma growing up.
    I couldn't find anything about that with Rick but there was no shortage of anti-soda stuff from Yahoo. Funny I had a co-worker who swore that he got cancer from Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper !! Yet he was a heavy smoker and his parents didn't even sue Dr. Pepper after his death. Just before he died he ran into a lady at Target who was giving free samples of Dr. Pepper and slugged her screaming "..you gave me cancer !!".Anyway the guy I talked too worked for Yahoo News and if a story comes out about Rick Nelson and diabetes and its from Yahoo well you have been warned.
    Last edited by choff; 05-21-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •