Thread: Liz Dawn (Vera Duckworth from Coronation Street) Dies at 77.

Liz Dawn (Vera Duckworth from Coronation Street) Dies at 77.

I just read that Liz Dawn the actress who played the loved battleaxe Vera Duckworth in the UK soap for for 30+ years has died at age 77.

She has had some ill health in the last few years after being diagnosed with emphasymia in the 00s and was in hospital but it was thought she was recovering.

I'm not sure if many non UK viewers will know of her but she was one of the biggest and most recognizable stars of the soap right up to her death even though she left in 2008.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41397413

She was one of my faves on the show. IMO the show is just not the same anymore without actresses like her. Jean Alexander (Hilda) ,Julie Goodyear (Bet) and when Katherine Kelly (Becky) left I stopped watching. Thank God my Mum still has old VHS tapes with some of the old gang. RIP Liz, you were the best.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 09-26-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    She was one of my faves on the show. IMO the show is just not the same anymore without actresses like her. Jean Alexander (Hilda) ,Julie Goodyear (Bet) and when Katherine Kelly (Becky) left I stopped watching. Thank God my Mum still has old VHS tapes with some of the old gang. RIP Liz, you were the best.
    So true, after Hilda and Bet I enjoyed watching her on the show.
    Have been a fan of the show since the mid 1970s.

"Jack" and "Vera" characters will so be missed on the show.

RIP Liz Dawn.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    So true, after Hilda and Bet I enjoyed watching her on the show.
    Have been a fan of the show since the mid 1970s.

"Jack" and "Vera" characters will so be missed on the show.

RIP Liz Dawn.
    There are no characters like them anymore. They've tried but there isn't anyone really able to fill their shoes and it shows. All they seem to care about now is headlines though. Years ago, yes you had drama but there was comedy as well. Nowadays, it's all death, affairs etc and it's just not the same.

Anyway, back to Liz, her funeral was Friday (Oct 6) and many of the cast, past and present were there and they actually shut down production so they could all attend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41523801

Your right about that. I watched the tribute they did for Jean Alexander and that brought back a lot of good memories. Scenes with Stan, Elsie and Bet. It didn't get better than that ! Lovely article about Liz, my Mum has a lot on VHS from those good old days with all of them.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Your right about that. I watched the tribute they did for Jean Alexander and that brought back a lot of good memories. Scenes with Stan, Elsie and Bet. It didn't get better than that ! Lovely article about Liz, my Mum has a lot on VHS from those good old days with all of them.
    Fan of Coronation Street since the 1970s, I miss
    all the old players.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.