Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerry Lewis

a total schmuck to the end.
    pull the string!

He wasn't one bit funny, and he was a supreme ass. I was glad when the MDA telethons fired him, because he made it all about him.

People have been talking about Buddy Hackett in this thread, but apparently Paul Lynde was even worse than Buddy and Jerry. I read that he once put out a cigarette in the face of a fan who approached him.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddledy Gumbo View Post
    He wasn't one bit funny, and he was a supreme ass. I was glad when the MDA telethons fired him, because he made it all about him.

People have been talking about Buddy Hackett in this thread, but apparently Paul Lynde was even worse than Buddy and Jerry. I read that he once put out a cigarette in the face of a fan who approached him.
    "He made it all about him" Hmm... now who does that remind me of...? And you are correct, I've also heard Paul Lynde was an absolute ass, especially if he was drinking. Loved Jerry Lewis movies as a kid, but couldn't stand him and his "Hey Lady" crap that he thought was funny... it wasn't. It seems he died a very old and bitter man. I'm still curious enough to see the only movie he made that has never been aired.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Referring back to the interview in post # 9 . Made me think of an interview I watched years ago with the late director John Ford and a young reporter. Same miserable attitude and demeanor . Made me say to myself " Why give the interview you o' bas *** If ya can't be kind and civil. " This reporter seems to handle it OK , the Ford reporter seemed a little intimidated , sounded young. Ford kept giving clipped yes or no answers and would always finish with .. NEXT QUESTION .

Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    "He made it all about him" Hmm... now who does that remind me of...? And you are correct, I've also heard Paul Lynde was an absolute ass, especially if he was drinking. Loved Jerry Lewis movies as a kid, but couldn't stand him and his "Hey Lady" crap that he thought was funny... it wasn't. It seems he died a very old and bitter man. I'm still curious enough to see the only movie he made that has never been aired.
    Regarding Paul Lynde- have you seen The Paul Lynde Halloween Special? It's on YouTube. I won't spoil it for you!

Did Jerry have a cousin that was also in comedy?
    Why did he disown/will, didnâ??t already given them their inheritance?
    Did his adopted daughter just marry, is she actually biologically related to Jerry?
    When he married his 2nd wife wasnâ??t his womanising days over?
    Are there many Actors he had helped out financially?

New article about how pervy Jerry was. Several actresses who had the misfortune of working with him are speaking out, even Jill St. John who tactfully remarked " a good time was not had by all."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ct-vanity-fair

The article mentions Karen Sharpe, who I remember as Tony Nelson's girlfriend in the very beginning of I Dream of Jeannie.

I know of Hope Holiday because of her fantastic performance as "Lolita" in Irma La Douce, parodying the look of Sue Lyon in the eponymous film.

I doubt he was the only one.

I could never understand Jerry's appeal. I never thought he was funny in the least. Love Hope Holiday! She was fun in what ever she was in.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I never thought he was funny either. Not my kind of comedy.

I remember a few years ago when interviewed by Martin Short
    when Jerry Lewis said: they are no funny female stand up comediands
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I remember a few years ago when interviewed by Martin Short
    when Jerry Lewis said: there are no funny female stand up comediands

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    I never thought he was funny either. Not my kind of comedy.
    very true, I so agree.

Vanity Fair have done a piece on him. Several women including Hope Holiday were interviewed by the makers of the Farrow v Allen series and they have accused him of sexual assault and harrassment back in the 60s.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-investigation

His secretary at the time has also come forward and said she knows they are telling the truth because of what she had to deal with at the time.

https://forward.com/culture/482992/j...t-vanity-fair/

why wait until after his death to come forward?

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    From the look of it, it seems it's the usual thing of they didn't think anyone would believe them at the time because of how popular and powerful he was. That and they didn't understand what happened to them was abuse at the time because it was so common for women to be treated like dirt.

The initial interviews seemingly happened years ago when the writers were investigating old Hollywood and everything that went on. They talked to people around at the time and Jerry's name seemingly came up a lot in conversation in regards to his behaviour and they decided the women's stories needed to be heard.

Shellc yes very true all that you said women put up with a lot back then because they felt they had to.

The only movie I ever liked him in was "The King of Comedy" and I'm pretty sure he was playing his normal a-hole self in it.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    A very good point.

I ran across this clip of some out takes of the previously discussed movie "The Day the Clown Cried". No words but subtitled. Part of the movie is in there and it's kinda easy to understand why he never finished it or wanted it released.

Dark to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeUXILnrOhs

He died at age 91 so true only the good die young.